• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
NE1G5.gif

Got confused thought I posted this.

MechDX

I really dont get why anyone would bet against the Seahawks. Their D is so good it is going to keep every game close and even if you dont like Russell he has shown an ability to make plays to win tight games.

Because Wilson is a midget and JJ eats burritos bigger than Ray Rice so not worried. :p

I still can't believe Hurney passed on Cordy Glenn to draft DII player Amini Silatolu for our O-Line. Hurney drafted perennial pro bowlers with his first round picks (hell, even Otah was a pro bowler, just ended up being too fat and lazy), but once he gets past the first, he couldn't draft for shit.

What do you think about next week's Panthers/Bills matchup? IMO it's a must win for the Panthers. I'm cautiously optimistic (maybe blindly hoping against hope) that Shula called a conservative game against the Seahawks because of their stout, ball hawking D and will be more prone to opening things up against a Bills secondary that should be hurting without Gilmore and Byrd (is Byrd gonna play?). Defensively I think we can have some success against Manuel, but offensively we will need to score at least 2 TDs (can't believe I'm saying it's hard for us to score 2 TDs, smh) to have a chance.

image.php

smdh

this_guy

That pitch and catch by rogers and nelson in the 2 nd half with nelson leaning out of bounds was pretty sweet.

Hope the country is ready for schaub and his cannon tonight!

Better white combo: Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson or Matt Schoob to Owen Daniels?

LJ11

I still can't believe Hurney passed on Cordy Glenn to draft DII player Amini Silatolu for our O-Line. Hurney drafted perennial pro bowlers with his first round picks (hell, even Otah was a pro bowler, just ended up being too fat and lazy), but once he gets past the first, he couldn't draft for shit.

What do you think about next week's Panthers/Bills matchup? IMO it's a must win for the Panthers. I'm cautiously optimistic (maybe blindly hoping against hope) that Shula called a conservative game against the Seahawks because of their stout, ball hawking D and will be more prone to opening things up against a Bills secondary that should be hurting without Gilmore and Byrd (is Byrd gonna play?). Defensively I think we can have some success against Manuel, but offensively we will need to score at least 2 TDs (can't believe I'm saying it's hard for us to score 2 TDs, smh) to have a chance.

No clue on Byrd, who the fuck knows? Don't remind about that disaster, lol.

I think you guys had great run D yesterday. Linebackers were kept clean and they just attacked all game long. Bills run game is MIA right now, especially short yardage. Coaches have no confidence in converting 3rd and short via run. Yesterday the Bills had 3rd and 2 6 times, they converted 1. Pathetic.

Bills have trouble covering TEs but with the way Olsen played yesterday I'm not sure if they should be worried.

Week 1 in the NFL is an aberration, it's a 5th preseason game. I thought the secondary was going to get lit up this week and they held their own. Not something I count on two weeks in a row, you never know though.

Must win for both teams to be honest, more so for the Bills because it's the same old shit if they start 0-2 once again, Rivera is toast imo.

I didn't like how they kept trying to jam CJ up the middle...he looked like he did his rookie year. Just horrible anticipation of the gaps (assuming there were any). Just use his goddamn speed and run him to the right like you suggested.

Agreed, same fucking run too, same fucking run design over and over for no gain. Fred looked good but I have a feeling the Pats were playing pass on his run. Fred's vision and ability to get small is second to none, I love that dude. Need to rewatch.

Just realized that one of the announcers during the Indianapolis/Oakland game does the TNT basketball games. I like him. Too bad I'm constantly stuck with Ultron Buck and make-me-Aikman.

Just an observation: Just read King's MMQB column. Talked about Amendola wincing in severe pain from his groin then coming back out and playing. I would be concerned they injected something to numb the pain and get him back. This practice is considered very dangerous and can pretty much only make the injury worse.

I have no clue about the severity of his groin injury. Read that it was bothering during camp and the pre-season, so seeing him re-injure it without any contact was disturbing.

I hope that they checked it out, didn't think it was that bad and wanted to keep him on the sideline just to be sure. But then they saw that they were really going to need him, so sent him back out again.

If they made it worse by forcing him to play through it (or him going out trying to prove something), they are the biggest fools in the world. Sure winning in week 1 against a division opponent is great, but not at that price. We have a good shot at winning the division and making the playoffs. Just like Gronk, we need them then, not now.

squicken

Thoughts on the Rams game, squicken?

-Cook looks great, even with the fumble. Unreal speed for a man that big. Cannot put a LB on him and should be a goal line force if Schotty stops calling those RB in motion outs and go nowhere runs

-Quinn looked good but he just kills AZ. ATL has a shaky OL so I hope he can continue it

-Concerned about Schottenheimer. He used Tavon like he was just a run of the mill slot player. End arounds aren't imaginative

-Defense will get killed all year if they play soft zone. NFL QBs can throw 8 yard passes all day

-Penalties are comical. I really thought the Rams coaches were awful yesterday. I thought they won b/c they have a talent advantage and their play makers made more plays than AZ's. Matt Ryan will throw for 800 yards if they keep playing 15 yards off WRs

edit: Forgot that QB draw for the 2 pt conversion. That was very well done. They also got Cook on Dansby for that almost TD, which again, is good play design. My annoyances are mostly the use of Austin.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NFL says Packers benefitted from blown call, Staley should not have been flagged after Matthews late hit:

Referee Bill Leavy admitted after Sunday’s Packers-49ers game that his team botched a call after Green Bay’s Clay Matthews and San Francisco’s Joe Staley both drew personal fouls, and that the officials’ mistake benefitted the 49ers.

But that’s not quite right.

The NFL now says it was the Packers, not the 49ers, who benefitted from the officials’ mistake on the play, because Staley shouldn’t have been flagged in the first place. The league office reviewed the play and determined that while Matthews was rightly called for a late hit on 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the official who threw the flag on Staley for getting in Matthews’ face after running over to protect Kaepernick should not have done so.

In other words, if the entire play had been properly called, it would have been first-and-goal for the 49ers at the 3-yard line on the next play. Instead, the officials made it tougher for the 49ers by making them re-play third down after the offsetting penalties.

Some may say it’s a moot point because the 49ers scored a touchdown on that third-down play anyway. But either way, the league has confirmed that this play was botched, in more ways than one. And because the 49ers scored a touchdown, the two wrongs equaled a right for San Francisco.

Bowser

No clue on Byrd, who the fuck knows? Don't remind about that disaster, lol.

I think you guys had great run D yesterday. Linebackers were kept clean and they just attacked all game long. Bills run game is MIA right now, especially short yardage. Coaches have no confidence in converting 3rd and short via run. Yesterday the Bills had 3rd and 2 6 times, they converted 1. Pathetic.

Bills have trouble covering TEs but with the way Olsen played yesterday I'm not sure if they should be worried.

Week 1 in the NFL is an aberration, it's a 5th preseason game. I thought the secondary was going to get lit up this week and they held their own. Not something I count on two weeks in a row, you never know though.

Must win for both teams to be honest, more so for the Bills because it's the same old shit if they start 0-2 once again, Rivera is toast imo.

I think yesterday's game from Olsen was an aberration, he's normally very sure-handed. Not sure what went wrong there, but his drops definitely hurt. I still have confidence in him to make big plays.

Yeah, true. It's way past "same old shit" territory with Rivera, now 2-13 in games decided by 7 points or less. All the stat guys love to say it's random and luck will usually even out, but I'm starting to think it's endemic to Rivera. Mike Tanier put it best: "Rivera is perpetually flummoxed by things like short-yardage strategies and when/where to punt/kick/go for it."

I thought that experience and going through these situations from the past 2 seasons, Rivera would learn from it, but he still makes the same mistakes constantly. It's depressing because if we had fired him last season and ended up luring someone like Shaw/Cowher to the sidelines, we'd be immediate contenders ala SF replacing Singletary with Harbaugh and becoming a SB favorite nearly overnight. We're clearly talented enough, and McDermott has been really good as DC for the most part after a terrible 2011, but Rivera, while a nice guy, just doesn't seem cut out to be a HC. I can't imagine the guy on a playoff sideline for the life of me.

brentech

annnnnd Lacy's jumping TD.

ibnP8LBcYODXfR.gif

I think I'm done for now.
NFL GameRewind + GifCam + Gimp = new favorite app train

If you have a particular play from a game and know about what quarter it happened in, send me a PM and I try to hook it up

Fantomex

You're right. All it took was Weeden being Weeden to have you absolutely crush us by the insurmountable score of 23-10.

You sure were mouthy before. Guess our D had you come back to earth.

Weeden gonna slang on dem Dolphins week 1.

What's this I hear?

Brandon Weeden was giving da pipe?

Woooooooo!

But now Weeden sucks? What a horrible fan you are. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Steeler fans have been saying it all summer long: Wallace got paid and that's that. Now you all get to deal with him and his diva attitude. Have fun!

Epic Comeback

rSWb1Rb.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, true. It's way past "same old shit" territory with Rivera, now 2-13 in games decided by 7 points or less. All the stat guys love to say it's random and luck will usually even out, but I'm starting to think it's endemic to Rivera. Mike Tanier put it best: "Rivera is perpetually flummoxed by things like short-yardage strategies and when/where to punt/kick/go for it."
While stats are amazing, you have to be aware of what goes into them and what can be taken out of them, and I believe we talked about this before the game. The assumption that things tend to even out only holds if they are indeed random in the first place, although even then past coin flips have no bearing on the current coin flip in question so failing to even out is still possible.

Colasante

7 out of 10 passes Amendola caught yesterday came on 3rd down.

I sort of hope they hold him out of the Jets game. Edelman can take his place, Boyce can take Edelman's, and hopefully Dobson and Thompkins can provide something of worth on the outside, although I suspect Cromartie will shut down whoever he's up against. I'm more worried about going up against the Bucs' secondary in week 3, and Amendola will be crucial for that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Suh to face NFL discipline:

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is facing discipline from the NFL for diving at the knees of an opposing player during Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings, a league official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The controversial play occurred during an interception return by Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy, who scored an apparent touchdown to give Detroit the lead. But the play was nullified because Suh was whistled for an illegal low block against Vikings center John Sullivan well behind the play.

Suh's block drew a 15-yard penalty and the attention of the league office. The two-time Pro Bowler said, however, that he was not attempting to injure Sullivan.

"I wasn't by any means going for his knees," Suh said after Detroit's 34-24 victory. "He knows that. We had a great conversation running out at halftime, and he understood. My aim was his waist to cut him off."

Sullivan said he was surprised that he didn't suffer a serious injury on the play and added he did not see Suh coming at him. "That was bad," he said.

"I missed the shot of it, but the guys were telling me about it," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "Nobody thought that was a good play, and the fact they got a penalty because of it tells you it wasn't a good play. You hate to see guys go low on players. You've seen the results of it, so it's not a good thing when it happens."

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen also disapproved of Suh's low block.

"[Suh] is a good dude, but that's uncalled for," Allen said. "This is a fraternity. In the NFL, you try to take care of guys. Things happen, and guys are going to make hits. But you can't take a dude's legs out from behind on an interception return down the field.

"He plays hard. I like his style of play. But if you end a guy's career like that, it's just uncalled for."

The low block was not the first time that the 26-year-old Suh has been questioned for a controversial penalty. He was suspended two games in 2011 for stomping on the arm of Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith during a Thanksgiving Day game.

Suh also made headlines in last year's Thanksgiving game, when he kicked Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin, drawing a fine from the NFL.

But Suh insists he was simply "trying to make a block" on Sullivan during Sunday's contest.

"On that particular play, I'm looking to make a block, and I see Sullivan, which I find out later who it was," Suh said. "I think it was Levy who had the pick-six. I'm just trying to make a block and really cut him off so he doesn't get a chance to get ahold of him.

"I spoke to [Sullivan]. We're good, and that's all that matters."

While stats are amazing, you have to be aware of what goes into them and what can be taken out of them, and I believe we talked about this before the game. The assumption that things tend to even out only holds if they are indeed random in the first place, although even then past coin flips have no bearing on the current coin flip in question so failing to even out is still possible.

Rivera should have been fired after that 4th and 2 game. It's him, not bad luck.

Tom Penny

I sort of hope they hold him out of the Jets game. Edelman can take his place, Boyce can take Edelman's, and hopefully Dobson and Thompkins can provide something of worth on the outside, although I suspect Cromartie will shut down whoever he's up against. I'm more worried about going up against the Bucs' secondary in week 3, and Amendola will be crucial for that.

Dobson is hurt too. Wouldn't count on that.

Seanspeed

Banned
You know what I'm trying to say. They're not going to turn it over another half-dozen times the next time they play. It was just a sloppy, unprepared week 1 performance. This Giants team always shits the bed early and then turn it on in the second half of the season. Still had a chance to win it despite a horrific performance.
You act like the Cowboys had some perfect game.

They had injuries and a bunch of mistakes, too. Why shouldn't they also get better?

And did the Giants play that great the 2nd half last season? They were 6-2 after week 8 and then went onto lose the division and miss the playoffs.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just an observation: Just read King's MMQB column. Talked about Amendola wincing in severe pain from his groin then coming back out and playing. I would be concerned they injected something to numb the pain and get him back. This practice is considered very dangerous and can pretty much only make the injury worse.

i think these practices are more dangerous than HGH usage.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Nice to hear this only a day after the game. Glad it didn't stop us from scoring a TD.

Yeah I came here to post this. The national conversation seems to be about whether Green Bay got robbed. That is the WRONG conversation. Staley didn't do anything. Matthews made an incredibly dirty hit after talking all week about taking shots at Kaepernick and then took a few weak-sauce swings at Staley when all Staley did was hold his jersey to restrain him.

It should have been first and goal on the 3yd line with Matthews ejected from the game, not 3rd and goal at the 6. Karma bitches.

I like the Packers (my fav team after then 9ers) but Matthews should be suspended for a game.

Yeah I came here to post this. The national conversation seems to be about whether Green Bay got robbed. That is the WRONG conversation. Staley didn't do anything. Matthews made an incredibly dirty hit after talking all week about taking shots at Kaepernick and then took a few weak-sauce swings at Staley when all Staley did was hold his jersey to restrain him.

It should have been first and goal on the 3yd line with Matthews ejected from the game, not 3rd and goal at the 6. Karma bitches.

I like the Packers (my fav team after then 9ers) but Matthews should be suspended for a game.

Nobody's going to be talking about how Green Bay got robbed. McCarthy gifted the Niners a touchdown after he accepted that penalty for God knows what reason. All of the stuff with Matthews was just cake.

Patriots potentially doing something dishonest or dangerous? Color me shocked.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Nobody's going to be talking about how Green Bay got robbed. McCarthy gifted the Niners a touchdown after he accepted that penalty for God knows what reason. All of the stuff with Matthews was just cake.

Turn on the TV. All they are talking about is god-tier Kaep and the "blown call".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom