• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

Is this a coping mechanism? Focusing on the positives? I need to start doing this more for losses.
I suppose? Our team looked pretty bad last year in the opener and in the playoffs against the 9ers. We seemed much more consistent on offense than we did for almost all of last season.

Our secondary is horrible as is, but hopefully they'll patch up.

We could still end up 4-12 for all I know, but there is positive to take from that game.
And those plays were just really good plays / spectacular catches! That can't be denied.

LiveWire

Mike Tanier put it best: "Rivera is perpetually flummoxed by things like short-yardage strategies and when/where to punt/kick/go for it."

Yea Carolina had huge momentum going against Seattle, and they didn't go on 4th and inches or 4th and 2 in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I mean, Cam is the size of a linebacker and you don't think you can get 6 inches on a QB sneak? If Seattle loses that game I guarantee they lose to the Niners this week and fail to make the playoffs. Instead, they're probably going to win the division now.

Talon

I like the Packers (my fav team after then 9ers) but Matthews should be suspended for a game.
get-out-Cary-Grant.gif

MechDX

Yea Carolina had huge momentum going against Seattle, and they didn't go on 4th and inches or 4th and 2 in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I mean, Cam is the size of a linebacker and you don't think you can get 6 inches on a QB sneak? If Seattle loses that game I guarantee they lose to the Niners this week and fail to make the playoffs. Instead, they're probably going to win the division now.

All this from a week 1 game?

Talamius

Yeah, true. It's way past "same old shit" territory with Rivera, now 2-13 in games decided by 7 points or less. All the stat guys love to say it's random and luck will usually even out, but I'm starting to think it's endemic to Rivera. Mike Tanier put it best: "Rivera is perpetually flummoxed by things like short-yardage strategies and when/where to punt/kick/go for it."

I think there's a very good chance we could see the first mid-season firing in a couple years if the Panthers are 0-3 at the bye, and that certainly looks possible. Buffalo is an absolute must-win.

Jeff-DSA

I was pretty pleased with the Miami defense and passing game, but holy crap, that running game can't be that bad going forward, right? I would never have expected it to be so toothless.

If we can get a running game going, Tannehill is going to be so much better off. I'm surprised that Cleveland didn't put more pressure on him given the total lack of a ground attack. Better teams will exploit that, I'm sure.

annnnnd Lacy's jumping TD.

ibnP8LBcYODXfR.gif

I think I'm done for now.
NFL GameRewind + GifCam + Gimp = new favorite app train

If you have a particular play from a game and know about what quarter it happened in, send me a PM and I try to hook it up

It's good to see some production from the offense and some of those plays were so fun to watch. As a request could you gif the Russell 12 yard hail mary to Doug Baldwin on the 50 yd line. I think it was late 3rd quarter. That was work of art for Baldwin to stay inbounds.

LiveWire

All this from a week 1 game?

Yes. For the past 20+ years (with the exception of 1 year--2010 I believe?), only 2 teams in each conference who lose week 1 go on to make the playoffs. Many times it was just 1 team that lost in week 1 that ended up making the playoffs.

Then there's the stats that show if a team goes 2-0 they're something like 52% likelihood of making the playoffs, and 3-0 is around 75% likely to make the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4494228

(Only 13% of 0-2 teams make playoffs since 1990)

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/stats-2-0-teams-and-0-2-teams

I suppose? Our team looked pretty bad last year in the opener and in the playoffs against the 9ers. We seemed much more consistent on offense than we did for almost all of last season.

Our secondary is horrible as is, but hopefully they'll patch up.

We could still end up 4-12 for all I know, but there is positive to take from that game.
And those plays were just really good plays / spectacular catches! That can't be denied.

Not at all. We just have your number (for now). I expect the Packers to be a 10 win team at least.

Terrelle Pryor did his best on the opening Sunday of the year to convince doubters that he's an exciting starting quarterback. (Even those doubters within the Oakland Raiders organization.)

Perhaps the most encouraging sign of all from Pryor: He wasn't remotely impressed after the game. Pryor said his performance was "awful."

"I could've helped win the game and didn't," Pryor said via CSNBayArea.com. "We had 'em on the ropes and we didn't knock them out. The record is all that matters to me. I don't care what my numbers are. I just want to do well for the team, and I didn't do well enough."

"Please don't write this as cocky because it's not. Anytime I get on the field, I feel like I'm the best player out there and that my team is going to have a chance to win. That's my job. I need to get the ball into the right hands and make plays. We have to get better. I know I do."

Pryor's day included 217 yards through the air, one throwing touchdown, and a pair of interceptions he bemoaned after the game. It also included 112 yards on the ground -- more than any player in the entire NFL. (The rushing yards set a team record for quarterback rushing yards.)

The Raiders entered the season looking like a punchline. It was only one game, but Pryor's performance gives the team some hope. It's encouraging that he wasn't remotely satisfied with the effort. (Even if we're inclined to roll with Andrew Luck's evaluation of Pryor's day.)

"I'll tell you, Terrelle Pryor is a stud," Luck said. "He made some unbelievable plays."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...le-pryor-i-played-awful-in-week-1-for-raiders

Pryor future.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Curious to hear your thoughts on the game. Posted mine last page.

I'm not sure there's much to say.

The offense was an abortion. O-line was horrid all around. DeCastro took out Pouncey trying to make a block they didn't attempt the entire preseason (cutting the backside on a zone run.) Redman lost the ball twice. Sanders dropped some key passes. I wasn't expecting the Steelers to look good on offense, but they were completely impotent.

The defense was fine for the most part. The Titans scored 13 of their 16 points on drives that began on the Steelers side of the field. After Gay came in, he left some guys open, but Locker sucks and couldn't hit them. The Titans offense was what I was expecting from the Steelers. Slam the running back into the line for 3 yards at a time then pap, basically control the clock. Polumalu and Keisel looked great. It'd be a shame to waste those guys' final years.

Going forward, I think the Steelers and Haley may need to abandon the run first mentality and go with the uptempo passing attack. I'm not sure they will, but it probably will move the ball, at least.

Rorschach

I like the Packers (my fav team after then 9ers) but Matthews should be suspended for a game.
As a fellow lifelong 9ers/Pack fan, I extend a welcome from all our 9pack bros. FMT will hook you up with a Young Favre avatar if you ask nicely.

Anyway, glad my seahawks won. Game looked rough. Only sad part is that my Panthers had to go down, but at least it was close.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As a fellow lifelong 9ers/Pack fan, I extend a welcome from all our 9pack bros. FMT will hook you up with a Young Favre avatar if you ask nicely.

Anyway, glad my seahawks won. Game looked rough. Only sad part is that my Panthers had to go down, but at least it was close.
The return of the king.

Crisco

Banned
I think there's a very good chance we could see the first mid-season firing in a couple years if the Panthers are 0-3 at the bye, and that certainly looks possible. Buffalo is an absolute must-win.

Yup, as a Panthers fan, I'm sort of rooting for this. If we lose to the Bills, I'm definitely going to hope for a home loss to the Giants to seal Rivera's fate. The dude is just not a good NFL head coach. He has the wrong mindset for today's game and constantly mangles late game clock management. It's a shame because we could have been contenders this years. Even the offensive lined looked better than I hoped, especially run blocking. The main weakness now is at WR, but with Shula's play calling, we hardly even attempted any down field throws.

So I'm a Time Warner Cable customer, which obviously meant no NFL Network until last year. My second child was born last August, so I didn't really have the time to devote to watching sports, and I declined to add on the Sports Package to get NFL Redzone last season. Decided to add it this year, though, and got it up and running for the first Sunday of the season. The following image describes my review of NFL Redzone:

heaven.jpg

How many teams do you have?

brentech

Not at all. We just have your number (for now). I expect the Packers to be a 10 win team at least.
I sure hope so.

lol'ing so hard. side cramp

It's good to see some production from the offense and some of those plays were so fun to watch. As a request could you gif the Russell 12 yard hail mary to Doug Baldwin on the 50 yd line. I think it was late 3rd quarter. That was work of art for Baldwin to stay inbounds.

I come bearing a gift.
They replay crew muffed the slo-mo and spent like 3seconds on one frame, so I had to try to cut it which ended up in a weird chop on the close up part of it.

ibu2XesoSzwCwv.gif

Kacar

Honestly watching the Decastro play where he murders his own teammate is way worse than the butt fumble could ever be.

I really am starting to like this kid.

I dislike the Raiders, but I won't lie: Pryor does have a lot of potential. Hopefully the Raiders front office isn't dumb enough to not try and move on without trying to work on developing him. If Pryor manages to play smarter but be as electric as he was during the Colts game, Oakland may manage to trap a lot of teams.

I love Brett Favre so obviously I'm a pack fan. I'm from cali so I'm a 9ers fan. I love grunge so I gotta be a hawk fan. And my dog was born in one of the Carolinas. RIP Champ.

:jnc

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yes. For the past 20+ years (with the exception of 1 year--2010 I believe?), only 2 teams in each conference who lose week 1 go on to make the playoffs. Many times it was just 1 team that lost in week 1 that ended up making the playoffs.

Then there's the stats that show if a team goes 2-0 they're something like 52% likelihood of making the playoffs, and 3-0 is around 75% likely to make the playoffs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4494228

(Only 13% of 0-2 teams make playoffs since 1990)

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/stats-2-0-teams-and-0-2-teams

So next week is huge for the AFC North. All teams are 0-1 right now.

Baltimore takes on Cleveland and Pittsburgh takes on Cincinnati

-Cook looks great, even with the fumble. Unreal speed for a man that big. Cannot put a LB on him and should be a goal line force if Schotty stops calling those RB in motion outs and go nowhere runs

-Quinn looked good but he just kills AZ. ATL has a shaky OL so I hope he can continue it

-Concerned about Schottenheimer. He used Tavon like he was just a run of the mill slot player. End arounds aren't imaginative

-Defense will get killed all year if they play soft zone. NFL QBs can throw 8 yard passes all day

-Penalties are comical. I really thought the Rams coaches were awful yesterday. I thought they won b/c they have a talent advantage and their play makers made more plays than AZ's. Matt Ryan will throw for 800 yards if they keep playing 15 yards off WRs

edit: Forgot that QB draw for the 2 pt conversion. That was very well done. They also got Cook on Dansby for that almost TD, which again, is good play design. My annoyances are mostly the use of Austin.

Yeah there was a lot of old Rams screw ups, but it was nice to see the talent level has risen to the point where we can actually overcome that now. The Austin playcalling was frustrating, but overall I thought the playcalling was improved, and if we put up 27 points we should win. The D needs to lock it up, if bend don't break gives up 25 against a middling offense it needs to be overhauled. Run D looked great. O line looked serviceable. More shots were taken downfield which was awesome. If there was going to be an TAINT I'm glad it was on a tip, and I'm glad the fumble was kind of a freak thing from behind rather than one of our RBs ball security.

Raiders need to be smart and keep losing. If Pryor plays really well, they should bench him.

Sure you can win 5/6 games, but you would miss out on HOF'er Clowney.

gutshot

SIX HOURS UNTIL CHIP KELLY UNLEASHES THE BEAST AND MV7, SHADY AND DJAX STYLE ALL OVER THE DEADSKINS!!!

Am I doing it right?

MechDX

SIX HOURS UNTIL CHIP KELLY UNLEASHES THE BEAST AND MV7, SHADY AND DJAX STYLE ALL OVER THE DEADSKINS!!!

Am I doing it right?

No. You have to be pessimistic and down on your team and have no hope. Then list 10 reasons why they will lose while listing to Lincoln Park

:jnc

Fantomex

I love Brett Favre so obviously I'm a pack fan. I'm from cali so I'm a 9ers fan. I love grunge so I gotta be a hawk fan. And my dog was born in one of the Carolinas. RIP Champ.

I really thought the squicken category for the chart was just a joke, but I might have to really make one for the allegiance chart now.

No. You have to be pessimistic and down on your team and have no hope. Then list 10 reasons why they will lose while listing to Lincoln Park

That is the best spelling of linkin park ever. They should totally change their name to that. Anyways nothing wrong with being excited before the first game when reality will come crashing down.

Bowser

Carolina Panthers ‏@Panthers 5m
Ron Rivera says the #Panthers passing game plan was too conservative yesterday.

orly

[IM]http://i.minus.com/ibu2XesoSzwCwv.gif[/IMG]

Thanks a bunch, I thought for sure that was going to be a pick.

That was a backbreaker. Kudos to Russ to stand in there and get leveled and still fit that ball into the tightest of windows.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
And because nobody cares while I did miss all but the Sunday night game yesterday playing baseball I can say we won the tournament and now have made the playoffs in my league!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And because nobody cares while I did miss all but the Sunday night game yesterday playing baseball I can say we won the tournament and now have made the playoffs in my league!

You stupid Canucks can have baseball. It's as boring and lifeless as your entire country

Narag

Raiders fan here (hence the name) and I thought Terrelle Pryor did a lot better than people gave him credit for before the start of yesterday. If he doesn't throw that last minute interception yesterday, the Colts lose that game.

Now if the Raiders lose to Jacksonville on Sunday, that will be pathetic.

It wasn't just that int but that entire final series. Inexperience cost him.

Congrats. Hanging out and playing baseball was probably a much better way to spend the day then watching Weeden play like shit. How long until Jcamp gets a shot in Believeland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom