• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
He completed 76% of his passes for over 300 yards. The offense didnt score more because the Panthers D totally shut down the Seahawks rushing attack.
Meh, call me bias if you want but I think the stats cover it up more. He was skittish and super quick to scramble around (albeit the Panthers did get a good rush going), and he continues to put himself in worse positions from his scrambling that he's going to eat more often this year. 8 yard sacks turn into 17.

Add in about 3 overthrows on easy passes and that should've-been-caught pick (+ Kearse's incredible catch padding the stat line) I think he's looked much better.

jbug617

Banned
Big blow for the Pats

@JayGlazer: Big hit for patriots, RB Shane Vereen broke a small bone in his wrist on 1st play yesterday, scheduled for surgery today. Out few weeks

Defensive fuck ups of the week!

You forgot Tyson Jackson losing his pants.

bareass.gif

Ok, don't care if you don't like it, but I think is an intriguing fantasy question for me. I'm down by a bit, but it's definitely an amount I can make up. Who to start?

RGIII v PHI
or
Vick v WAS

RGIII for sure. There is no way to know what the Eagles offense will look like, plus the Skins have such a crazy talented team. Great OL, RB, Garcon is a great WR, the Skins D should be much improved with getting Orakpo back. The only fear with RGIII is the Skins get up 30 early and then dont have to use him.

squicken

As much as I joke about putting the banner up in Lambeau, CHI looked good yesterday. The Bengals and that great front 4 had zero sacks of Cutler. If they have fixed their protection issues then they can contend with GB. Doubt they will ever actually beat GB but they could at least make the Pack sweat a little

Rorschach

I won't be here next weekend, but I should be here the week after. I'll do week 3. Hate making them early, without taking Monday into account, but I'll pre-stage for old time's sake.

Big blow for the Pats

@JayGlazer: Big hit for patriots, RB Shane Vereen broke a small bone in his wrist on 1st play yesterday, scheduled for surgery today. Out few weeks

Well ain't that just great.

tumblr_mrjfs2AYwM1sa24tdo1_500.gif

Oh, thank the Lord. I've got Ridley on my fantasy team.

Yo buddy! GFY!

You are really the worst kind of person on the planet. There is a special place in hell for people like you. Hitler, Stalin and John Lennon are waiting for you.

As much as I joke about putting the banner up in Lambeau, CHI looked good yesterday. The Bengals and that great front 4 had zero sacks of Cutler. If they have fixed their protection issues then they can contend with GB. Doubt they will ever actually beat GB but they could at least make the Pack sweat a little

Bears were down 21-10 in the 3rd quarter. If Sanu doesnt fumble at the Chicago 20 that game would have been over. Bengals made a bunch of stupid mistakes also. Not sure how much you cant say about the Bears after that game.

That's the biggest thing. They scored 27 and should have scored more. Been a long time since the offense looked as good as it did yesterday. But they must find a way to score TDs. They can't run in short yardage and have no fade/back shoulder outside WR. They need Quick to get better soon

Yeah his TD yesterday was nice though. Used his size to get into the endzone. Even if it wasn't a fade

Fantomex

From what I've heard the O-line was really terrible yesterday as well. But not that unexpected with a 2nd year RT going up against Wake and if not that I heard they set it up a lot that Wake would go up against Oniel Cousins a backup to the backup to the RG. He absolutely stunk up the joint.

But as someone said for as bad as the O-line was it's as well up to Weeden to make the adjustments which he seems to still be suffering from.

Browns-GAF seems to have gone missing because I'd love to hear from some of them that actually watched the game to let me know what really went down.

All I have is Gondo right now giving me the goods.

And I can't trust Fantomex because he wants me shaved and feathered.

Nah I'll be honest with you Kave. You know I have a special place in my heart for you.

Browns

Defensive Line - is extremely underrated. It made the Miami running game nonexistant. Actually it's the third lowest rushing total for the Dolphins ever with like 30 yards I think. They constantly plugged up the middle, and covered the edges to avoid outside runs or quick outs to the receivers. Kruger is a straight up beast. He was pressuring Tannehill and being a force in the middle.

Defensive Backs - They blanketed Wallace all day. But are average besides Haden in my opinion. Haden plays like a veteran and is a very very good cover guy, wise beyond his years. Especially with stuffing the line of scrimmage for bump and runs and breaking receivers strides once they get away.

Linebackers - Below average and always one step behind.

Offensive Line- besides Thomas it is very average. It had trouble opening up holes for Trent, didn't give Weeden enough time and did a horrible job of protecting him.

Running Backs- Trent had no room to run, and the offensive line didn't give weeden enough time for Trent to get some swing and screen passes thrown his way. Aside from Trent, none of the running backs did a good job with blocking or even chip blocking before releasing. Especially on the side Wake was coming from.

Quarterback - Weeden is in a very similar situation as Tannehill. There is no time to throw, there is no talent to block for the running back, it all builds from there. He could only rely on his instincts and go for the easy pass. But man, he really tried to go through his progressions and finally settled on Cameron. He can make throws, but again, I'm giving him some leeway because of how many times he was sacked, knocked down, hurried and disrupted all game. He could never really get into a rythym. When he did have some time, he did throw a bit too high or behind his receivers.

Receivers - God awful. They got constantly stuffed at the line of scrimmage, got no separation and were constantly looking for flags. Davone Bess and Cameron were the only bright spots. Davone Bess was your #1 receiver and Cameron was the #2. They both were running good routes, reading the zone coverages and making great catches with good gains after the catch. Cameron has all the signs of being a great one. He had good acceleration, ran great routes and was always reliable once a play broke down and Weeden needed an outlet. He will easily be your best receiver this year.

TheFatOne

My guess Ridley returns as starter. Blount is the back up and Washington will see more playing time.

Glazer said after the game Vereen felt numbness and it's due to the bone being on top of the nerve.

Wow that's crazy. Hope nothing serious happens to him. Ridley just needs to get his head out of his ass and the Pats should be ok, but they don't have anyone who can do what Vereen does catching out of the backfield.

squicken

Bears were down 21-10 in the 3rd quarter. If Sanu doesnt fumble at the Chicago 20 that game would have been over. Bengals made a bunch of stupid mistakes also. Not sure how much you cant say about the Bears after that game.

They had great protection, the biggest issue in the past, against one of the league's best pass rushes. It's just week 1, but some things matter. New HC/OC/line coach and a new RT/LT/RG

If Washington and Houston win tonight I am guaranteed $200 in a pick em we run weekly. If only Houston wins, it goes to score tiebreaker. I picked 100 for the combined 2 MNF games, other guy has 97.

I am confident Houston will cream the terrible Chargers. Not sure about the Redskins.

Oh yeah, FUCK YOU BUCS!!! Used one of my survivor league picks on their scrub asses and that league has a prize of close to 60 grand. What stings is I had the pick on Houston but changed it last second to Bucs because they were playing the Jests...They had the game too..ugh. Well, other three picks survived at least and that's enough to survive a fluke or two if I'm careful.

Smokey

Gotdamn Peyton makes $882,000 a week during the nfl season

;_;

Kaepernick makes $740,000 for the year. Hope you ready to bend over and spread em Fmt!

jbug617

Banned
More Pats injury news.

@BenVolin To further brighten your day, I'm told Zach Sudfeld pulled a hamstring yesterday. Didn't play in 4th quarter. Hooman only healthy TE

Colasante

Terrible news about Vereen just as he was ready to break out. Hopefully it doesn't affect his catching ability when he returns. Ridley's fumbling issues are bad, obviously, but I still think it's a little overblown. He, Blount, Bolden, and Washington will be more than enough against the Jets, Bucs, and Falcons, especially since Gronk should be back week 3 or 4.

They had great protection, the biggest issue in the past, against one of the league's best pass rushes. It's just week 1, but some things matter. New HC/OC/line coach and a new RT/LT/RG

I didn't see the game, but are you sure it wasn't the Bungles being the Bungles? Not the first time that team has wasted talented squads.

Colasante

More Pats injury news.

@BenVolin To further brighten your day, I'm told Zach Sudfeld pulled a hamstring yesterday. Didn't play in 4th quarter. Hooman only healthy TE

Not good, but if they need tight end depth to hold them over til Gronk and Sudfeld's return it won't be a stretch for Fells and Ballard to come back for a couple weeks.

Tom Penny

Wow that's crazy. Hope nothing serious happens to him. Ridley just needs to get his head out of his ass and the Pats should be ok, but they don't have anyone who can do what Vereen does catching out of the backfield.

Nothing like fumbling on the 1st play and then single handedly getting the Bills in the game on a non contact fumble. Good times.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Nah I'll be honest with you Kave. You know I have a special place in my heart for you.

Browns

Defensive Line - is extremely underrated. It made the Miami running game nonexistant. Actually it's the third lowest rushing total for the Dolphins ever with like 30 yards I think. They constantly plugged up the middle, and covered the edges to avoid outside runs or quick outs to the receivers. Kruger is a straight up beast. He was pressuring Tannehill and being a force in the middle.

Defensive Backs - They blanketed Wallace all day. But are average besides Haden in my opinion. Haden plays like a veteran and is a very very good cover guy, wise beyond his years. Especially with stuffing the line of scrimmage for bump and runs and breaking receivers strides once they get away.

Linebackers - Below average and always one step behind.

Offensive Line- besides Thomas it is very average. It had trouble opening up holes for Trent, didn't give Weeden enough time and did a horrible job of protecting him.

Running Backs- Trent had no room to run, and the offensive line didn't give weeden enough time for Trent to get some swing and screen passes thrown his way. Aside from Trent, none of the running backs did a good job with blocking or even chip blocking before releasing. Especially on the side Wake was coming from.

Quarterback - Weeden is in a very similar situation as Tannehill. There is no time to throw, there is no talent to block for the running back, it all builds from there. He could only rely on his instincts and go for the easy pass. But man, he really tried to go through his progressions and finally settled on Cameron. He can make throws, but again, I'm giving him some leeway because of how many times he was sacked, knocked down, hurried and disrupted all game. He could never really get into a rythym. When he did have some time, he did throw a bit too high or behind his receivers.

Receivers - God awful. They got constantly stuffed at the line of scrimmage, got no separation and were constantly looking for flags. Davone Bess and Cameron were the only bright spots. Davone Bess was your #1 receiver and Cameron was the #2. They both were running good routes, reading the zone coverages and making great catches with good gains after the catch. Cameron has all the signs of being a great one. He had good acceleration, ran great routes and was always reliable once a play broke down and Weeden needed an outlet. He will easily be your best receiver this year.

You know we tight bro. <3

Thanks for that though but seems like most of us expected the receiving unit is nothing without Josh Gordon, one more game to go then we'll see I guess.

Also hooray glad to see the front office's insistence to not get a quality CB to go with Haden really paid off. :(

Bowser

FO on the Seahawks/Panthers game:

Vince Verhei: Both teams, I think, looked like what we expected. Especially Carolina. The offense will move the ball well, but they still have no big-play threat besides Steve Smith, and they’re going to have to convert a lot of third downs to score. The front seven is fantastic, limiting Marshawn Lynch to 2.5 yards per carry. And Ron Rivera will choose to punt on a couple of short fourth downs when going for it seems at least a reasonable option. He also failed to make adjustments. On their clock-killing drive, Seattle, ran at least three bootleg passes to the fullback, and they all worked. One was to Golden Tate, whose presence in the backfield should have been a neon sign saying "THEY’RE THROWING TO ME."

If anything, Carolina looked better than expected in a few key areas. Cam Newton, a lousy red zone passer in his career, converted a third down inside the 20 and finished the drive with a touchdown pass. And the secondary held up well, save for a pair of back-to-back plays in the second half (Jermaine Kearse’s go-ahead touchdown, and the play right before it when Stephen Williams got open deep but dropped a pass) when Seattle receivers got behind their man down the right sideline. If anything, I’m more convinced now that this team can win the division.

Seattle’s offense had a lot of missteps early —- dropped passes, penalties, missed receivers —- and Russell Wilson had a bad red zone fumble right before halftime. The offensive line, as noted, was abused, and Wilson looked shellshocked and indecisive at times. He had a couple of blind throws to avoid pressure that turned into miracle receptions, including an amazing sideline catch by Doug Baldwin. (That was funny, because Seattle tried to hurry and run a play to prevent a challenge, but they failed -— then the play was upheld and Carolina lost a challenge and timeout.) Baldwin, by the way, finished with seven catches for 91 yards, both better than any game he had last year. I know next week’s game against San Francisco was going to be huge anyway, but now I’m looking forward to it just to compare San Francisco’s front seven to Carolina’s. I honestly think Carolina’s could be better when all is said and done.

If only we didn't have a schmuck for a head coach. Same dumb decisions and conservative play calling as last season and the season before that.

Fantomex

You know we tight bro. <3

Thanks for that though but seems like most of us expected the receiving unit is nothing without Josh Gordon, one more game to go then we'll see I guess.

Also hooray glad to see the front office's insistence to not get a quality CB to go with Haden really paid off. :(

Yeah our front offices suck. But yeah man your front 7, especially your DL is really good. Especially Kruger.

squicken

I didn't see the game, but are you sure it wasn't the Bungles being the Bungles? Not the first time that team has wasted talented squads.

No didn't see it. One of the games I'll check on short cuts

The Bears got great OL play in preseason, and the Bungles were flat in the preseason. So it could just be a continuation of things that will change, but idk. I usually resist the notion that one team lost a game and the other just got lucky. Not that that doesn't happen, but it's usually when bad teams catch all the breaks vs good teams (2002 Steelers/Texans)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FO on the Seahawks/Panthers game:

If only we didn't have a schmuck for a head coach. Same dumb decisions and conservative play calling as last season and the season before that.

From one of the FO writers Twitter accounts:

IDMOKww.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom