• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Harbaugh is trolling Matthews HARD hahaha damn.. I'll update in a sec.

edit- just paraphrasing here.

"Staley did what we teach him...just grab the guy who goes after your QB"
"Clay punched Staley 2 times"
"wait..actually 1 punch and the second was more of a slap"
"I'm sure Matthews works hard on his tough image."
"but if you are going to hit a player like that you get in there you punch (while physically mimicking it)... you don't slap."
"I'm sure he is going to have to work on building back some of that tough image"

this is was similar to making fun of shaking Lions coach Jim Schwartz's hand too hard.

Dead

To paraphrase Anchorman, "Tonight's top story: The sewers run red with Rivers' blood"

Watt alone should have 3-5 sacks. I do hope Vincent Brown gets some good looks, and Keenan Allen can get a lot of PT. I'm interested to see what Allen can do coming out of Cal, and to see just how badly Fluker's pass blocking is.

methodman

Banned
I've talked about this numerous times but I think it's Imperative they sign Crabtree (hopefully to a lower deal since he's coming back from an injury), Aldon Smith, and Kaepernick. While I would love ALL 4 of them ..... if I have to choose one guy to its Iupati and i have no reservations.
Good post, I think we have to keep Aldon and Kap. Aldon will have the most sacks in NFL history through a players first 3 seasons, that's pretty freaking incredible. Kap looks like an elite QB, but I don't know if we should be giving him 100 million on his first contract. Damn. I hope we can keep all 4, but it's gonna be really tough.

and :jnc about harbaugh, dude is hilarious

Harbaugh is trolling Matthews HARD hahaha damn.. I'll update in a sec.

edit- just paraphrasing here.

"Staley did what we teach him...just grab the guy who goes after your QB"
"Clay punched Staley 2 times"
"wait..actually 1 punch and the second was more of a slap"
"I'm sure Matthews works hard on his tough image."
"but if you are going to hit a player like that you get in there you punch (while physically mimicking it)... you don't slap."
"I'm sure he is going to have to work on building back some of that tough image"

this is was similar to making fun of shaking Lions coach Jim Schwartz's hand too hard.

Damn, just called Clay a bitch slapper...Harbaugh with the mind games...

Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, and Ahmad Brooks are all signed through 2015, and our Offensive lineman ALL have long contracts except for our Center (Jonathan Goodwin) who is nearing retirement age and won't be resigned, and Iupati our Left Guard.

Joe Staley our Left Tackle is signed to some ridiculous deal, like through 2020, Boone signed a 4 or 5 year extension before he was the starter last year, and Anthony Davis is signed through 2019.

Out of our Offensive Line, and Linebackers this is official years they are signed through.
Joe Staley - 2017
Mike Iupati - 2014
Goodwin - 2014
Boone - 2015
Anthony Davis - 2019

Line Backers
Brooks - 2017
Aldon Smith - 2014
Navarro Bowman - 2018
Patrick Willis - 2016

The 4 big contracts next year are Colin Kaepernick, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, and Micheal Crabtree ......

I think we let 1 go, push one another year away (maybe franchise the cheapest guy), and sign 2 of them with the cap room saved from letting Frank Gore, Carlos Rogers, and possibly Ahmad Brooks go, between those 3 players is ~21 million tied up.

I've talked about this numerous times but I think it's Imperative they sign Crabtree (hopefully to a lower deal since he's coming back from an injury), Aldon Smith, and Kaepernick. While I would love ALL 4 of them ..... if I have to choose one guy to its Iupati and i have no reservations.

Iupati is easily the odd man out in that group.

BigAT

One other thing I forgot from my writeup of the game, it continues to baffle me how the Giants are so consistently awful in short yardage situations. It has been an issue for so many years, through every running back and every version of the offensive line. I had a sinking feeling when Mundy was only able to return that interception to the one yard line. It resulted in nothing but a field goal. There was another third and 1 later in the game they failed to convert that killed a drive.

One other thing I forgot from my writeup of the game, it continues to baffle me how the Giants are so consistently awful in short yardage situations. It has been an issue for so many years, through every running back and every version of the offensive line. I had a sinking feeling when Mundy was only able to return that interception to the one yard line. It resulted in nothing but a field goal. There was another third and 1 later in the game they failed to convert that killed a drive.

That was just so pathetic. I was really hoping Mundy would score all the way.

brentech

Finally decided to make the call and get a contractor out to see what some rough finishing of the basement would estimate in at.

They're coming Friday. Maybe I'll have a nice living space down there for games and such by late fall. We'll see. Lived here since the end of 2009, and don't plan to live here for much more than 5 probably cause we want to build next.

The prospect is interesting, we'll see how it goes.

duxstar

You think they'd let him walk? Christ, I'd love for the Giants to sign him as a replacement for Snee.

Here's my thinking as a longtime fan
We spent from the years 2002 - 2010 trying to draft a #1 Wide Receiver, a Quarterback, and a Pass Rusher. Any fan will tell you how long we struggled getting those 3 guys; we have 3 offensive lineman left after Iupati that could all be probowlers signed for long term deals (Davis, Iupati, Boone).

With that reasoning I could see Iupati, and Crabtree both leaving next year though.

I'm really intrigued to see whether or not the Niners can develop Lawrence Okoye. I read an analysis (can't find the link) but his combine results aren't just above average but for a guy his size, it makes him a once in a generation type of athlete. I know they project more as a defensive lineman, but with his physical tools, he'd be a pretty dominant offensive lineman.

Finally decided to make the call and get a contractor out to see what some rough finishing of the basement would estimate in at.

They're coming Friday. Maybe I'll have a nice living space down there for games and such by late fall. We'll see. Lived here since the end of 2009, and don't plan to live here for much more than 5 probably cause we want to build next.

The prospect is interesting, we'll see how it goes.

I just threw some carpet down in my unfinished basement and put in some furniture a year or two ago at my house. It doesn't look great, but it ain't bad, and it's totally functional without costing me a thing. And it's the perfect man cave, because although I love it, my wife hates it. Win-win!

tmdorsey

How bad was your vision before? I have horrid astigmatism.

I was pretty near sighted. I think i was like 20/150 in one eye before with a slight astigmatism. This was about 9 years ago though, I'm sure the technology as probably improved.

I had LASIK done.

Harbaugh's offensive philosophy is still built upon power running and a solid line. Iupati's a big part of that.
I have a tough time believing they'd let him walk as well but I'm not as familiar with the team as you Niners fans.

I'd have to think the Giants would be in the mix for his services if he ever hits the open market with Kevin Boothe being on a one year deal and Snee breaking down (depth behind them isn't great either). Not that I think it would ever come to fruition. Giants have Hakeem Nicks, Linval Joseph, JPP and a likely Eli Manning extension all looming on the contract front.

I have a tough time believing they'd let him walk as well but I'm not as familiar with the team as you Niners fans.

I'd have to think the Giants would be in the mix for his services if he ever hits the open market with Kevin Boothe being on a one year deal and Snee breaking down (depth behind them isn't great either). Not that I think it would ever come to fruition. Giants have Hakeem Nicks, Linval Joseph, JPP and a likely Eli Manning extension all looming on the contract front.

I love Hakeeeeeeeeeeeeem Nicks. I wonder how much that guy will command.

I love Hakeeeeeeeeeeeeem Nicks. I wonder how much that guy will command.
I have a feeling he's gone after this year. We payed Cruz and the Giants have never paid a WR 10 mill/yr in their entire history and he'll command that and more in the open market (he's 10x the receiver Mike Wallace is). They could franchise him but if he has another blow up season like he did in 2011? Yeah, it's going to be really hard investing damn near 18-20 million/yr in cap space for two guys (and we got Cruz on the cheap, too!). Eli's already 20 million in cap alone and that's why I mentioned an extension is likely going to happen to lessen that next season.

Jags update:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 30s

Jaguars HC Gus Bradley ruled out QB Blaine Gabbert from starting Sunday at Oakland. Chad Henne now gets start.

exarkun

Damn, all my friends went to San Diego for the chargers game. I dunno how far in advance they had to tell work they would be gone, but I am so jealous. Seems kind of hard to make Monday night games, but from the pictures I've seen there are a ton of texans fans there. How is the bolt's home crowd? I wonder if we can get louder than they can.

Everytime I see Pryor's stat line, I imagine Al Davis looking down from heaven and re-enacting that Babe scene where the old man says "That'll do." He actually look pretty good. Surprised the shit out of me (and most everyone else I would assume). Vegas must of lost an asssssload from that Tampa game. Jesus.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
c7c0guE.png

Yum.

And now for Houston.

KaYotiX

Banned
Games over who cares?

Pack lost, im sure Green Bay fans here are all over it but for some reason everyone else cares now.

And also, why would anyone punch someone with a helmet on Harbaugh? Good way to break a hand....sometime I wonder if he thinks before speaking.

Surprised how little the Vick Vs. RGIII angle of tonight's game is not being played up. A year ago they would have been hyping the matchup to the moon. The only thing I keep hearing about is the coach, which isn't even the best part in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom