• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Surprised how little the Vick Vs. RGIII angle of tonight's game is not being played up. A year ago they would have been hyping the matchup to the moon. The only thing I keep hearing about is the coach, which isn't even the best part in my opinion.

Compared to the non attention the SD Houston game is getting, Vick and RG3 are getting plenty hype.

linkboy

Games over who cares?

Pack lost, im sure Green Bay fans here are all over it but for some reason everyone else cares now.

And also, why would anyone punch someone with a helmet on Harbaugh? Good way to break a hand....sometime I wonder if he thinks before speaking.

I dunno, ask Clay, I'm pretty sure he can give you an answer (or the guy from Carolina).

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh offered a parting shot at Packers linebacker Clay Matthews: Slapping is not the tough-guy way.

Harbaugh says Matthews threw one punch and slapped 49ers left tackle Joe Staley when they tussled following Matthews' late hit on quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second quarter of San Francisco's 34-28 season-opening win against Green Bay on Sunday.

"I think that young man works very hard on being a tough guy," Harbaugh said Monday of Matthews. "He'll have some repairing to do to his image after the slap."

Matthews promised leading up to the game that Green Bay would target Kaepernick after he ran for a quarterback-record 181 yards to beat the Packers in the playoffs eight months ago, and Matthews did just that. On the play, he threw his right arm around the lower part of Kaepernick's neck.

"If you're going to go to the face, come with some knuckles, not an open slap," Harbaugh said Monday.

Matthews admitted Sunday that his late hit "wasn't very smart."

"I had already committed to hitting the quarterback. I guess I should have figured he was going to step out of bounds," Matthews said. "But it's nothing personal. I went up to him later and was joking around with him. But not a very smart play. And that's kind of the end of that."

Kaepernick said after the game, "If intimidation is your game plan, I hope you have a better one."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...ers-takes-jab-clay-matthews-green-bay-packers

cdyhybrid

Harbaugh is trolling Matthews HARD hahaha damn.. I'll update in a sec.

edit- just paraphrasing here.

"Staley did what we teach him...just grab the guy who goes after your QB"
"Clay punched Staley 2 times"
"wait..actually 1 punch and the second was more of a slap"
"I'm sure Matthews works hard on his tough image."
"but if you are going to hit a player like that you get in there you punch (while physically mimicking it)... you don't slap."
"I'm sure he is going to have to work on building back some of that tough image"

this is was similar to making fun of shaking Lions coach Jim Schwartz's hand too hard.

:jnc

Harbaugh's offensive philosophy is still built upon power running and a solid line. Iupati's a big part of that.

I think it's natural though that as your star QB develops, you'll want to throw the ball more. Naturally (because you can only pass OR run on a play, not both), they'll be running less.

jakncoke

Banned
Harbaugh vs. Matthews

Steel Cage Match

WrestleMania XXX

Book it Vince.

Harbaugh gotta dress like..

19sandomir.1.600.jpg

and

Mathews

ScottSteiner_display_image.jpg

Hunter S.

lol, yeah, i never understood people throwing fists at helmets. sooooo damn stupid

A lot of fights are blind rage and other emotion and instinct taking over. They are beyond thinking logically even before throwing a punch.

On another note I think J. J tWatt will get 5 sacks tonight. That poor desperate San Diego offensive line is going to make for a massacre

Pre game Harbaugh: Matthews is a monster threatening physical harm against my poor innocent helpless QB. Matthews' comments are equivalent to the Saints bounty system and there's no room for it in the NFL. Refs, please protect my innocent team from these thugs in Green Bay!

Post game Harbaugh: Matthews isn't tough enough. Next time he should really throw some manly punches rather than being such a wuss. Staley did what we told him which was to attack guys outside of the standard engagement of a play (unlike Matthews' comments focused on defending the read option).

The guy is a little snake. He's talented, but a snake. If you're talented, why do you have to hide behind shitty tactics like this?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
a couple of blocks from the galleria
I'm sorry.

Pre game Harbaugh: Matthews is a monster threatening physical harm against my poor innocent helpless QB. Matthews' comments are equivalent to the Saints bounty system and there's no room for it in the NFL. Refs, please protect my innocent team from these thugs in Green Bay!

Post game Harbaugh: Matthews isn't tough enough. Next time he should really throw some manly punches rather than being such a wuss. Staley did what we told him which was to attack guys outside of the standard engagement of a play (unlike Matthews' comments focused on defending the read option).

The guy is a little snake. He's talented, but a snake. If you're talented, why do you have to hide behind shitty tactics like this?
probably because he thinks he's still a player, so he acts like a player, a player that's constantly running his mouth.

He reminds me of Rex Ryan, wonder what he'll be like if/when he starts losing.

VoxPop

So... thanks to David Wilson, I am up only 1 point on my opponent in fantasy. He still has Bullock kicking for Houston. Anyone in San Diego want to go and set up some banana peels near the FG practice area?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Sorry for what? The awesome fucking traffic and roads in my area?!?

lol

You're the dumbass that moved there. Terrible area traffic wise.
Yes, i feel for you
traffic is turrible to the galleria. I worked there for 6 months last year and this year. From sugarland/missouri city it takes me the same amount of time to go to my building downtown now as it did to the building in the galleria.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That said, how replaceable is Iupati? Good LG's aren't exactly rare finds. If Iupati played LT, then it might be a different story.

Iupati is more than just a good LG though. Plus even 1 medicore guy on the line can cause issues. See the Chilo Rachal years.

I think it's natural though that as your star QB develops, you'll want to throw the ball more. Naturally (because you can only pass OR run on a play, not both), they'll be running less.

Sure, but a solid run game has always been the base of his offense. Same thing he did at Stanford even with having Andrew Luck at QB. He threw it plenty, but they also had a great power run game. Good line play is needed for both facets anyway.

We know that Triple H is going to be involved as special guest ref.

Schwartz to do a run-in.

Staley did what we told him which was to attack guys outside of the standard engagement of a play

Wait, what? I thought what was said there was "if you're ever involved in this sort of situation, here's how we want you to respond."

Colasante

So, it seems like Eric Reid is going to be a pretty good FS for the Niners. Am I wearing fan goggles or is he legit?

I was higher on Cyprien and Swearinger coming out, but Reid looked really good last night from my perspective. Seemed very active in both the run and pass game, really quickly reactive and hard hitting.

effzee

Man I don't know why I am getting so worked up.

Even if the Eagles suck this year (which is very likely), at least after 14 years its something new and different. The past 2 seasons especially left such a bad taste that I couldn't even watch other football games.

Yes, i feel for you
traffic is turrible to the galleria. I worked there for 6 months last year and this year. From sugarland/missouri city it takes me the same amount of time to go to my building downtown now as it did to the building in the galleria.

Yeah man... I hate it so much. I pretty much avoid that interchange at all costs. Some news org rated that area one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in America. It's terribad.

Supposedly a fix is coming... but i really have no idea how they plan to fix it. Also, once the construction starts omg that area is going to be a parking lot.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom