• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 1 |OT| - A new season dawns with champs vs chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Played Madden for the first time last night.

First impressions: Very similar obviously but I was playing the CPU on All-Madden and I couldn't stop anyone on D. Accurate I guess since the Eagles D has been terrible for the past 3 seasons but frustrating when even the lowly Jets with Geno Smith starting completed passed in tight windows with the right D called.

Game also seems choppy.

Probably need a new go to team to get good with. Feel weird not playing with my own team.

Only poors use forklifts. I'll find some poors to distract you and steal your dad's wallet.

You're a midget, you can't lift the wallet.

UNRELATED!

The official Rob Gronkowski Dunkin' Donuts video game

Play it. Love it. Gronk it.

gronk.gif

LevelNth

Banned
Niners were out of gas by the time they got to the Super Bowl. The defense in particular looked awful.
100%. The pass rush was super weak and is why it was so important for us to solidify more depth this season. Also Culliver was embarrassed numerous times and had his worst game by a country mile.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm sitting in a class for work on decon. I will get to hose down high schoolers later on. I already called dibs on the cheerleaders and girls volleyball.

Fox318

When will people call out Bill "I draft bums and murders" Belicheat for being a horrible GM?

Get ESPN out of Bristol and move them to Iowa or something.

LeGarrette Blount is currently slated to be the Patriots' kick returner, at least until they resign Leon Washington after week 1. Needless to say, that's not good. The Patriots also have 14 rookies on their roster. That, also, is not good.

Pats can overcome a lot of things. I don't think inexperience is one of them.

When will people call out Bill "I draft bums and murders" Belicheat for being a horrible GM?

I've been saying this for years. Pats poor drrafting is the reason they haven't won a Super Bowl.

eznark

Banned
Hes pretty good. Bob Papa knows his shit, surprisingly.

Best show is Moving the Chains with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan. They get into football scheme, deeper player analysis and ownership level stuff too. Think its on at 3 or 4. Always great on a Monday after football but I don't like the time slot. Sirius doesnt have it On Demand which is a shame, so you can only listen live. Shitty NFL.

Yeah, I didn't really agree with Toomer a lot (he seemed very concerned about intangible bullshit re: Lewis) but he did a fine job articulating the player perspective. Most of the former players doing radio are fucking retards. Chmura does a really good job too on ESPN Milwaukee.

Kirwin is fantastic.

I have no idea why there is a dedicated Buffalo Bills show with Steve Tasker airing on a national radio channel. Why does such a thing exist? Baffling.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Public Service Announcement to all new fans coming in this year:

Stick around and take your lumps when your team sucks ass. Yes I know it sucks to be in here and your team is terrible but really what excuse do you have?

You're scared of being made fun of? Grow some thicker skin.

Look at my tag...I didn't get it because I follow the best teams. If I'm still here you really have no excuse not to stay.

Thank you and looking forward to ripping on your shit ass, fraudulent teams!!!

rando14

Stick around and take your lumps when your team sucks ass. Yes I know it sucks to be in here and your team is terrible but really what excuse do you have?

Look at my tag...I didn't get it because I follow the best teams. If I'm still here you really have no excuse not to stay.

Damn Kave I've never seen you like this! So full of confidence and passion!

Actually I would find it weird if we didn't suck...it's been so long :(

I guess it's time to start being really mean to the Phins fans. You go first Kave, say some real demoralizing shit. I got your back!

eznark

Banned
NFC EAST: Redskins

NFC NORTH: Packers

NFC SOUTH: Saints WC: Falcons

NFC WEST: Seahawks WC: 49ers

AFC EAST: Patriots

AFC NORTH: Bengals WC: Ravens

AFC SOUTH: Texans WC: Colts

AFC WEST: Broncos

Super Bowl: Bengals 23 - Falcons 20

DPOY: Matthews
OPOY: Manning
MVP: Russel
OROY: Lacy
DROY: Ogletree
Coach: Marvin Lewis
GM: Mike Brown (seriously, Carson Palmer dick slapping him somehow woke his old ass up and he's doing work)

Colasante

Patriots drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.
Jets drafted Mark Sanchez in the 1st round.

hmpf4Lc.gif

You are the toughest Bills fan I know.

*salute*

Colasante

Most Valuable Player: Andrew Luck
Offensive Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers
Defensive Player of the Year: Luke Kuechly
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Tavon Austin
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Barkevious Mingo
Coach of the Year: Chip Kelly
Comeback Player of the Year: Johnny Jolly

Super Bowl: Seahawks over Broncos

That Mark Sanchez destroyed the Patriot Drafted defense.

Also Bill didn't draft Brady.

Yes he did. The Jets had the Patriots' 1st round pick in the 2000 draft after Belichick left. That same draft, Belichick drafted Brady in the 6th.

squicken

NFC EAST: Redskins

NFC NORTH: Packers

NFC SOUTH: Saints WC: Falcons

NFC WEST: Seahawks WC: 49ers

AFC EAST: Patriots

AFC NORTH: Bengals WC: Ravens

AFC SOUTH: Texans WC: Colts

AFC WEST: Broncos

Super Bowl: Bengals 23 - Falcons 20

DPOY: Matthews
OPOY: Manning
MVP: Russel
OROY: Lacy
DROY: Ogletree
Coach: Marvin Lewis
GM: Mike Brown (seriously, Carson Palmer dick slapping him somehow woke his old ass up and he's doing work)

Curious about your Falcons pick. Football Outsiders laid out a pretty good case against them. Not sure how the offense can be better and I don't see a much better defense. It's not like I'm thinking they will go 6-10, but they seem more bubble playoff team than SB loser

eznark

Banned
Curious about your Falcons pick. Football Outsiders laid out a pretty good case against them. Not sure how the offense can be better and I don't see a much better defense. It's not like I'm thinking they will go 6-10, but they seem more bubble playoff team than SB loser

You put more thought into your response than I did into my predictions sadly. Maybe I'll make a more thoughtful post Thursday when I have some time to think about what I am saying as opposed to just spewing the normal top-of-the-head drivel.

That said, seems like a WC spot is a bubble playoff pick no? Once you get to the playoffs all bets are off. I certainly wasn't going to pick Rodgers and I think it's likelier that Kap or Wilson will be hurt than Ryan. So = Falcons it is!

MVP guesses are boring. Let's do something interesting.

Which one of the four breakout quarterbacks will have a down year? I say Kaepernick and Wilson.

rando14

Which one of the four breakout quarterbacks will have a down year? I say Kaepernick and Wilson.
Wilson will probably be good but I doubt he (or anyone else) could replicate the amazing second half of the season he had last year

Yeah, I didn't really agree with Toomer a lot (he seemed very concerned about intangible bullshit re: Lewis) but he did a fine job articulating the player perspective. Most of the former players doing radio are fucking retards. Chmura does a really good job too on ESPN Milwaukee.

Kirwin is fantastic.

I have no idea why there is a dedicated Buffalo Bills show with Steve Tasker airing on a national radio channel. Why does such a thing exist? Baffling.

Booger McFarland does a good job. Derrick Brooks is tough to listen to at times.

Bowser

Honestly think the NFC South winner is going 9-7 at best. Each team has a fairly tough sked (divison games plus NFC West, AFC East (Pats/Phins)). Saints seem to be the trendy pick but I don't see Sean Payton alone being worth 3+ wins (and we all know the stat that a Rob Ryan-coached defense has never made the playoffs, 9 years and counting). Not impressed by the Bucs, secondary is much improved but the front 7 doesn't scare me and their QB situation looks terrible. Homer in me thinks 9 wins is achievable for the Panthers and I think people are severely underrating the secondary and defense in general.

Case against Falcons as outlined by the sharps:

Last May, when season win totals were released and the Falcons number of victories was put at 10, I wrote a very polite take down of Atlanta. I believed the team's 8-0 start to 2012, propelled by a 4-0 start with wins over the Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers and Panthers, was a fraud. I wrote, "The Chiefs were, well, the worst team in football. The Broncos nearly came back to win after three first-half Peyton Manning interceptions. The Chargers were doing their annual September of self-discovery (which happened to last all season). And the Panthers game was won as much because Cam Newton fumbled trying to ice it on a short-yardage scramble as it was by a Matty Ice bomb. Break all this down according to the process, and not just the results, and you get a pretty good look at an inconsistent group whose status was elevated by public perception. In the second half of the season, the Falcons lost a game to each of their division rivals and finished 5-3."

In that same column, my handicapping buddy, The SportsBoss, pointed out that last year, "Atlanta played the third-easiest schedule, was plus-13 in turnover differential and, using the Pythagorean theorem of wins based on points, they won two more than they should have last year. I expect a regression on the turnovers and I have them as playing the eighth-toughest schedule. If their sked improves that much and their TO margin regresses just a bit and they play the same way they did last year, they are probably a .500 team."

When I was in Vegas this past weekend, no one I spoke to had changed their tune about the Falcons. Put simply, one wiseguy said to me, "I don't see them winning nine games."

Panthers 9-7
Falcons 8-8
Saints 7-9
Bucs 5-11

BELIEVE.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

define "bad year" wins or stats?

I think Luck could have a statistically better year but the colts lose more games, given they had a negative point differential and they were something like 8-1 in close games. Historically both of those stats have very quick regressions to the mean. They also had another negative stat that is escaping me at the moment.

eznark

Banned

Luck will improve. They can't do a lot to make the offense more difficult for him, so it's just a matter of repetition and timing and feel. He lacked some game awareness at times which I hope will be fixed by just an overall increased confidence in his team.

Wilson will probably have a similar year. He ran a bit more of a pro offense than the other two but his physical limitations do exist and no matter how good of an athlete you are, you're going to have to figure out how to throw from the pocket. I don't think he'll ever truly "struggle" because he is such a smart football player and accurate thrower, but he might have a less impressive season statistically.

RG III is going to struggle. Take out the physical issues and look at his offense last year. It was one read and run. That one read was almost always, is the safety deeper than deep? Yes: run No? Bomb. I think it hurt his development that the team was in such a shitty division and in playoff contention all year because it didn't really allow that offense to evolve as rapidly as it probably should have, thus limiting his development.

Kap is a total wildcard. He ran the same idiot-proof offense as Wilson last year but has a coach about 10 million times more intelligent and a very good offensive line. I could see him going either way but my guess is that he has a pretty dazzling season on the ground and an above average season through the air. Their receivers are just so meh.

Texans fans another thing I was unsure about was all the talk about Foster having a down year. I saw in yahoo his average pick position was 9th, and NFLN said he was the star player most likely to have a down season. Is there anything to that? I cant imagine that offense without him having a great season.

squicken

QBs get exposed when they have to throw and the defense knows it. Kap and Wilson largely will avoid that b/c their own defenses are so good, and both had moments last year where they looked good in comeback situations. Luck has already proved he can do it.

The Redskins had brutal 3rd and long numbers last year. If their defense plays bad and WAS has to play lots of catch up, then we just have never seen RG3 in that situation where teams can ignore the run and unleash their exotic coverages and blitzes

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

Coach Rob Chudzinski said he wants Trent Richardson to "play as much as possible."
Richardson confirmed he is part of all third-down and two-minute drill packages. A year after getting 318 touches, it's realistic to project 350+ this year. His only backups are Bobby Rainey, Chris Ogbonnaya and Dennis Johnson. Perhaps more importantly, Richardson's per-play effectiveness will be greater as he's 100 percent healthy, Brandon Weeden is improved and the scheme is improved. We won't argue with anyone taking Richardson in the top-four of their fantasy draft.
Trent Richardson said he was frustrated about the lack of outside runs he got last season.
Richardson's disappointing 3.55 YPC from last year can be blamed on nagging injuries, uneven quarterback play and uncreative scheming. Now he's completely healthy and confident in new coach Rob Chudzinski's ability to get him in space. "I know it's going to be way different this year," he said. "So when that time comes to run outside zone, get in space or whatever it is, I'm going to be prepared and in shape and running full speed, 100 mph, whatever I've got to go." With only Bobby Rainey, Chris Ogbonnaya and Dennis Johnson behind him, Richardson is a real candidate for 350+ touches this year. A monster breakout is coming.
TrentTruck train is leaving the station Saturday! Choooo choooo! All aboard! Phins fans are welcome!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I guess it's time to start being really mean to the Phins fans. You go first Kave, say some real demoralizing shit. I got your back!

You can help me. See we know Trent Truck is gonna demolish them. So no point even referencing it but what I'm trying to decide is which one of our pass rushers are gonna make Tanny cry?

But maybe I don't focus there and instead focus on the rare time Tanny doesn't get sacked he'll foolishly throw the ball around Joe Haden and just get intercepted.

So hard to decide where to focus on...

eznark

Banned
QBs get exposed when they have to throw and the defense knows it. Kap and Wilson largely will avoid that b/c their own defenses are so good, and both had moments last year where they looked good in comeback situations. Luck has already proved he can do it.

The Redskins had brutal 3rd and long numbers last year. If their defense plays bad and WAS has to play lots of catch up, then we just have never seen RG3 in that situation where teams can ignore the run and unleash their exotic coverages and blitzes

I am really, really interested to see the first Redskins drive. It's going to be incredibly telling to see how RG reacts to pressure and if he trusts his demolished knee.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I cant imagine that offense without him having a great season.
Then you don't know the Texans offense. They've lead the league in passing when they had no running game, with Kevin Walter as the number 2 receiver.

Texans fans another thing I was unsure about was all the talk about Foster having a down year. I saw in yahoo his average pick position was 9th, and NFLN said he was the star player most likely to have a down season. Is there anything to that?

Its entirely possible and plausible he could have a down year since he had almost 400 touches last year(probably what they are using for the prediction). Pretty much everyone that gets that many touches in a year has a worse year the following year. But with Ben Tate, if he can actually stay healthy, he can spell Arian and have the one two punch they had in 2011.

Tom Penny

Yet somehow from 2000-2011 they had the highest overall grade for drafting over a decade.How about them Jets though !!!

Have the Colts done anything to help their Oline? I know they signed the Patriots backup guard for starter money, but besides that?

MechDX

Texans fans another thing I was unsure about was all the talk about Foster having a down year. I saw in yahoo his average pick position was 9th, and NFLN said he was the star player most likely to have a down season. Is there anything to that? I cant imagine that offense without him having a great season.

Yeah, you're getting info based on FF stats? Really? Who gives a fuck what grown men with no lives think?

Colasante

Have the Colts done anything to help their Oline? I know they signed the Patriots backup guard for starter money, but besides that?

Signed RT Gosder Cherilus from the Lions, OG Donald Thomas from the Patriots, and RB Ahmad Bradshaw, one of the best pass protecting RBs in the league. Pep Hamilton's offense will also require less deep passes than Arians' offense, so Luck will be able to get the ball out quicker.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500_zps2d881320.gif

TrentTruck train is leaving the station Saturday! Choooo choooo! All aboard! Phins fans are welcome!

So good!

Fuck Pat Shurmur though.

"3rd and inches? Sub out Trent we going deep"

"3rd and long? Let's run some 2yd routes. Its on the receivers to make up that distance"

Seanspeed

Banned

RG actually did really well in pressure situations last year.

What are these brutal 3rd and long numbers specifically?

Yeah, you're getting info based on FF stats? Really? Who gives a fuck what grown men with no lives think?

It just seemed like 1 barometer. I wasnt basing it on that one thing.

Captive I had no idea that the Texans had lead the league in passing. I definitely think they will be a better passing team this year. I love the DeAndre Hopkins pick. They just need to get Schaub what ever it was that made Rodgers arm strength go up so much while sitting on the bench.

jmdajr

Maybe the Texans can finally win in Indy this year!

remembers special teams blunders from past season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom