• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 10 |OT| - [expletive] this [expletive] [expletive]

ShaneB

I'm trying to ignore the Incognito/Martin story until it all comes out, it just keeps getting stranger and stranger. =/

I'm still undecided on my pick for tonight's game, I am leaning towards picking a Vikings upset.

eznark

Banned
When did they make those picks? All but 2 of them picked the Packers. I dont think the Eagles are a lock or anything but I would expect them to be at least an even pick with no Rodgers. Eagles have played really well on the road this year, plus their defense has held 5 straight opponents under 20 points.

Packers are still favored. Lunacy.

Fox318

How the fuck do they all justify picking the packers with Seneca Wallace QBing them?

And how the fuck is TB the favorite over Miami? I guess everyone forgot Miami just beat the Bengals?

They lost 2 offensive lineman, Seattle almost lost to the bucs, and all of the drama is bound to impact the game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How the fuck do they all justify picking the packers with Seneca Wallace QBing them?

Bob McGinn said:
Having spent much of the week researching the long career of No. 2 quarterback Seneca Wallace and the brief career of practice-squad quarterback Scott Tolzien, the guess here is that even if the Packers were to lose Rodgers early Monday night against the Chicago Bears they'd find ways to finish 11-5.

squicken

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2013/film-room-andre-johnson-play-calling

Football Outsiders has a film study piece, and one of the games is the Texans/Colts. Thought this was interesting. The very first drive, and Kubiak obviously wants to get going with the deep ball. The Colts are very aggressive with just a single safety and press man

Keenum rolls to his left off play action trying to get AJ on a double move. Doesn't work b/c the safety is over the top, but Keenum extends the play and works back across the field, hitting Posey who had worked himself open on Vontae Davis

ibxRDA2E2wTUH3.gif

The very next play, Johnson is on Davis' side of the field with man to coverage, again with just a single safety over the top, but this time shaded to the side away from Johnson. This time the double move works, a fake comeback and go.

ib1W7rzicYHUNA.gif

1. It's insane the Colts ever let Johnson be one on one with any of their corners

2. This is where I worry about the Texans missing Kubiak. Dennison is well regarded as a run game coordinator, but Kubiak is the one who has always been the one to work on the passing game. He saw the aggressiveness of the Colts defense and used formation to get Johnson in one on one coverage. Can Dennison do that?

Because he wrote that last week.

Not because they think he jinxed them, because everyone watched Wallace play. They lost to a bottom feeder being led by a backup.

Packers media has been overrating their backups for years though. I always thought it was on purpose to inflate their worth for trades.

Bowser

ESPN Upset Watch: Panthers over 49ers (Insider piece)

Well, they can start by continuing to play great defense. That's the biggest difference between these teams, where we rank the Panthers third and the 49ers a surprisingly mediocre 14th. Although their anonymous secondary has played better than anyone might have expected, the real strength of the Panthers' defense is their front seven, starring Defensive Player of the Year candidate Luke Kuechly, pass rushers Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson, and the rookie defensive tackle tandem of Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short.

That front seven presents a tough battle for the 49ers' running backs. We think of the 49ers as a strong running team, and they do in fact rank eighth in the league in run offense DVOA. But that ranking is built on good Colin Kaepernick runs and a lot of yardage gained in the open field. On standard running plays, the offensive line hasn't blocked anywhere near as well as it did the last couple seasons. San Francisco ranks 28th in our Adjusted Line Yards metric after leading the league in 2012. (ALY is explained here.) The Carolina defense ranks fifth in the same metric this year, and the Panthers have stuffed opposing running backs for a loss or no gain on 25 percent of carries, fourth in the NFL.

Also notes that the 49ers are 3rd in DVOA vs #1 WRs and 5th vs TEs, so Cam will need to find LaFell/Ginn and the RBs more as the 49ers are weaker against #2/slot WRs and RBs (20th or worse in DVOA against these positions). I think Ginn is going to have a big game personally.

rando14

Also notes that the 49ers are 3rd in DVOA vs #1 WRs and 5th vs TEs, so Cam will need to find LaFell/Ginn and the RBs more as the 49ers are weaker against #2/slot WRs and RBs (20th or worse in DVOA against these positions). I think Ginn is going to have a big game personally.

Hell yeah Bowser brotha! Time for Cam to step up and beat Kaep bad enough he has to shave his other eyebrow

Panthers are going to make the playoffs

Bowser

Hell yeah Bowser brotha! Time for Cam to step up and beat Kaep bad enough he has to shave his other eyebrow

Panthers are going to make the playoffs

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose this game, but I am a little miffed at so many people thinking this game is just going to be a walk in the park for the 49ers. Everyone harps on the Panthers wins being against shit teams, but besides Week 1, the 49ers haven't really beaten any teams of note either.

Combined record of teams Panthers have beaten during win streak: 8-33
Combined record of teams 49ers have beaten during win streak: 13-28

squicken

It's entirely possible SF sucks on defense. Both the Colts and Seahawks dominated them physically. Definitely the game of the week. Both teams can quiet some critics with a win

Narag

This morning I made an Incognito joke/reference.

Coworker looks at me incredulous, "You still don't understand what this is all about! You still haven't figured this shit out! And you're a football fan!"

Dude was looking at me with disgust. I was like, wtf did I say? What's going on here?

His response: "Dude, they were lovers!"

And he wasn't joking....

Suddenly eberything makes sense!

cajunator

Banned
I think we will lose to the Cowboys at home. Lots of injuries this week and I have zero confidence in that Oline. Brees can only do so much if theres no rungame and the defense has reverted back to its old ways.

then again its in the Dome and the team goes to some other ridiculous level at home. Im conflicted.

Packers are still favored. Lunacy.

I really thought it would be a pick em line. Foles played well on the road against TB, the Raiders, and the Giants. 2 of those teams have at least decent defenses. I guess the media really doesnt think it was all Rodgers. I am sure Senaca will improve with a full week of practice but he looked bad against a terrible Bears D.

It's entirely possible SF sucks on defense. Both the Colts and Seahawks dominated them physically. Definitely the game of the week. Both teams can quiet some critics with a win

Lol they did? You obviously didn't watch either game. We gave up a combined 13 points to the colts/hawks in the first half. Wussle was1/9 passing in the first half.

We lost because our offense sucked

Narag

The guy in front of me fucking flipped out too. Stomped and broke his cup holder.
Doesn't sound too intense I know, but you should have been there. He just snapped, total rage.

I was just in disbelief

These stories remind me of when I listen to hardcore history and learn the other side of a story and how people suffered because of it.

squicken

Lol they did? You obviously didn't watch either game. We gave up a combined 13 points to the colts/hawks in the first half. Wussle was1/9 passing in the first half.

172 yards rushing for SEA and 184 for IND. Sorry FMT but your defense looked bad both games. Maybe they got worn down b/c of a bad offense keeping them on the field, but either way, they got worked

Narag

Colts game was because the OC sucked. Indy can't stop the run? Best be gentlemanly about it and stop calling run plays.

Lololol hilarious stats. Niners are the #1 rushing team in the NFL only because of kap and big runs in the open field! Panthers are the greatest run D ever while playing power houses like the cards and falcons. Thumbs up on this report

172 yards rushing for SEA and 184 for IND. Sorry FMT but your defense looked bad both games. Maybe they got worn down b/c of a bad offense keeping them on the field, but either way, they got worked

Your offense can't keep going 3 and out all game. That's not an excuse it's reality. Unless you are playing an absolute bottom feeder your defense cannot be on the field for 40 minutes and expect production. Our D isn't as good as we were in 2011 though, especially run D

Your offense can't keep going 3 and out all game. That's not an excuse it's reality. Unless you are playing an absolute bottom feeder your defense cannot be on the field for 40 minutes and expect production. Our D isn't as good as we were in 2011 though, especially run D

Don't go against the quota! The 49ers suck! The media says so!

squicken

I agree. Hey I am rooting for you guys. Someone has to stop the Chickens from getting homefield and blasting the field with their speaker system in the playoffs. Hate to be reductive, but it will probably come down to which team doesn't turn it over. Hope Harbs can find the big plays he never could vs SEA and IND

Godslay

Banned
Yeah, what's the deal with Kap? I'm not going to lie, I've watched only a couple of SF games, and he didn't look that good. Worse or equivalent stats to Alex, and Alex is having an average at best season.

Yeah, what's the deal with Kap? I'm not going to lie, I've watched only a couple of SF games, and he didn't look that good. Worse or equivalent stats to Alex, and Alex is having an average at best season.

Handcuffed like a motherfucker. They have only allowed him to open it up the last few weeks, and he's looked pretty good without having to throw it 30+ times. Probably building his confidence up still. He's young.

Godslay

Banned
Handcuffed like a motherfucker. They have only allowed him to open it up the last few weeks, and he's looked pretty good without having to throw it 30+ times. Probably building his confidence up still. He's young.

That's interesting to me. They rode him to a Superbowl, you would think they would trust that he's able to get the job done, and let him run the offense. I find it even more odd considering he's not a rookie, and some rookies are getting more attempts than he is.

Mudcrab

I think we will lose to the Cowboys at home. Lots of injuries this week and I have zero confidence in that Oline. Brees can only do so much if theres no rungame and the defense has reverted back to its old ways.

then again its in the Dome and the team goes to some other ridiculous level at home. Im conflicted.

I have my doubts too, but being in the dome in primetime usually works out for us. I do think it will be very competitive and believe Romo will have an outstanding game.

Hopefully, the Niners don't totally blow it and put an end to the Panther's hot streak.

squicken

Harbs tried to let Kap take on a bigger role in the offense and it didn't work, so they've gone back to running the ball. Could be that they just don't have the WRs to try and be a throwing team

As far as age, Kap is older than Bradford, Stafford and Freeman

DoubleTap

There were unconfirmed reports that he's been playing through a foot injury and supposedly healed. Which is why he's moving better/faster lately.

Top Bottom