• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 10 |OT| - [expletive] this [expletive] [expletive]

Milchjon

Biscuits and gravy with beer? Hmmm, usually a breakfast thing here, but that doesn't sound too bad.

German breakfast is more like a slightly substantial French breakfast. Bread, butter, some deli meats, jams and honey. Nothing cooked beyond maybe an egg. Muesli/cereals, too.

We wouldn't eat something as heavy as a sausage gravy in the morning. So I'm not ashamed to reappropriate it as my dinner.

Striker

Shaun Rogers is also out with an extended knee injury and the team may need to make a decision on him as they have Markus Kuhn coming back from an ACL tear at DT. It would be ashame if Rogers is IR'd. He's been having an excellent season considering his age.
Yeah Shaun has played well. It probably moves up Jon Hankins so if it means Hankins gets more reps then I suppose it's a good thing long term. I don't see much for Kuhn but the staff apparently does.

Godslay

Banned
That is weak Gringo sauce. All vinegar and no heat. But Chipotle is god level food. ahhhaaah!!

I like it just to add a bit of spice to whatever I'm eating. Not looking to melt my ass out! Guts just aren't what they used to be.

German breakfast is more like a slightly substantial French breakfast. Bread, butter, some deli meats, jams and honey. Nothing cooked beyond maybe an egg. Muesli/cereals, too.

We wouldn't eat something as heavy as a sausage gravy in the morning. So I'm not ashamed to reappropriate it as my dinner.

Sounds about like what I would eat for breakfast. If I eat heavy, feels like I slog through the day.

Hunter S.

Judging from Del Rio's comments on the offense. It sounds like losing Fox should not be much of a problem. The system seems like the cliche a well oiled machine. Peyton will call the offensive plays and keep the team at a high scoring pace.

I also do not see coach McCoy stopping this offense with his knowledge of team. It has changed a lot with Welker and a healthy J. Thomas. Chargers are going to squeel like pigs for the Broncs.

squicken

Insider piece on whether Tomlin should be fired. Matt Williamson (who is a Pittsburgh guy I believe) thinks he should be

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9939990/nfl-how-far-pittsburgh-steelers-competing

The Pittsburgh Steelers are 15-15 in their past 30 regular-season games, but there has been nothing average about their play in that span. They have followed an 11-4 run with a 4-11 record in their past 15 games dating to Week 11 of last season. Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-13) and Jacksonville Jaguars (1-14) have been worse since then.

Key injuries help explain the current slide, but the Steelers' issues run deeper than that. ESPN.com's Matt Williamson, a native Pittsburgher, and Mike Sando discuss the steps needed for the Steelers to get back on track, beginning with whether Mike Tomlin needs to go.

Is there a case against Tomlin?

Sando: Tomlin has a 59-37 record in the regular season, giving the Steelers the NFL's sixth-highest winning percentage among all NFL teams during his tenure, which dates to 2007. The Steelers have the fourth-highest winning percentage in that span when we throw in postseason records. Are you sure you want to fire a young coach with those bottom-line credentials?

Williamson: Tomlin was the youngest head coach in the league when the Steelers hired him. He had never been a head coach at any level. He was energetic, young and the players' buddy. He came to a team loaded with great locker-room guys -- Jerome Bettis, Alan Faneca, Aaron Smith and others. My problem with Tomlin is, the first year or two, he was a terrible game-day coach. He wasted timeouts and messed up when to go for it on fourth down and when to try long field goals. That was accepted because he was new to the job, but he hasn't gotten any better. And the locker room has changed.

Sando: I know Tomlin has, in the past, acknowledged some of his game-management issues. There was a time back in 2011 against Indianapolis when he admitted losing track of how many timeouts he had left. He has talked about making fourth-down decisions entirely by feel, percentages be damned. But if we look back just at the won-lost record, it's fair to note that Bill Cowher also had some struggles after winning big early in his Steelers tenure. He went 7-9 and 6-10 as the 1990s were winding down. The team stood by him and won big in the 2000s.

Williamson: That's a fair point, but I just think the Steelers play down to their competition. That is a terrible sign to me and reflective of the coaching. When Cowher was in Pittsburgh, the game was over by halftime against those bad teams. When those bad Cleveland Browns teams came to town, they had no chance. You can look at Cowher's lifetime stats. The Steelers lost one game in his tenure in which they led after three quarters. Tomlin loses those games on a consistent basis.

Sando: The Steelers went 61-6 in Cowher's final five seasons when they led at any point in the fourth quarter. That works out to a .904 winning percentage. Only New England had a better winning percentage (68-1, .986) in those games in the same time frame; the league average was .804. The Steelers have been 63-15 (.808) in those games under Tomlin. That percentage ranks 13th and is right around the league average. The gap holds when we eliminate blowouts: Cowher's Steelers were 34-6 (.841) when they led by 1-7 points in fourth quarters, which was the second-best mark in the league. Tomlin's teams are 35-15 (.700) in those games, under the league average (.711).

Williamson: Despite those numbers, I'm sure another team would scoop up Tomlin in a hurry. He's young with a great résumé that includes two Super Bowl victories (the first one in 2002 as an assistant in Tampa Bay). But I think Pittsburgh should bring in an offensive-minded head coach, and, if Dick LeBeau retires as defensive coordinator, linebackers coach Kevin Butler is there to take over those duties. Under Tomlin, the Steelers find ways to lose and don't develop talent as well as they used to; Cowher was great at that. They would always bring in a corner in the middle rounds, you'd forget about the guy for two years and then, all of a sudden, he would turn into Ike Taylor. That isn't happening enough now.

How far are the Steelers from contending again?

Sando: The Steelers opened the season 0-4 and just gave up 55 points at New England. Their offensive line has been a mess thanks to injuries and the absence of a legitimate left tackle. Their defense has gotten old and become ordinary. Is Pittsburgh suddenly in the same boat with the Minnesotas of the NFL world?

Williamson: I don't think the Steelers are that far away. Ben Roethlisberger is good. He'll miss a game or two every year, but they have a decent backup in Bruce Gradkowski, Le'Veon Bell is a legitimate workhorse running back and I like their receivers, although Emmanuel Sanders probably will leave after the season. Their receivers got small and shifty and completely finesse when Bruce Arians was the coordinator. They need a big, physical presence at that position. It's killing them in the red zone. They need to draft a tight end pretty high because it's not clear they can count on Heath Miller to regain top form and sustain it. They need a left tackle, and maybe this year they'll finally pick early enough to take a good one.

Sando: I know you wrote that the 55-point debacle in New England had as much or more to do with Tom Brady's resurgence as with Pittsburgh's defensive issues, but still, that was a sobering experience for Steelers fans. Pittsburgh led the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (87.7) over the 10-year period coming into this season, but it ranks 31st in that category this season at 131.3 yards per game, ahead of only Jacksonville. I know game situations play into rushing opportunities, but still, that reads like a misprint.

Williamson: The nose tackle, Steve McLendon, is a good player, but he is more of an active, athletic type. The Steelers don't have anyone the opposing team has to double on running plays. What is interesting about 3-4 teams is, if you have a star nose tackle, the other team can keep you in nickel all day and make that guy hold his helmet on the sideline.

Sando: This is going to sound like blasphemy, but is there any thought about shifting away from a 3-4 defense longer term? I discussed this one with NFL executives at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in March. The 49ers' representative noted that sticking with a 3-4 for the long term would be tough to do as the team sought to retain key players, especially quarterback Colin Kaepernick. The thinking was that 3-4 schemes were more complex and better suited for veteran players commanding higher salaries. The 49ers wound up giving big contracts to two inside linebackers, but only after they decided Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman could be impact players if economic factors precipitated a switch to a 4-3.

Williamson: Those are good points. I very much believe a team can win the Super Bowl with a 4-3 or a 3-4. Both work when run properly. The Steelers don't have a "problem" like the one San Francisco had in having to pay huge money for two inside linebackers. A huge problem I would see with Pittsburgh going to a 4-3 is what to do with LaMarr Woodley and Jarvis Jones. Both fit as 3-4 outside linebackers.

Sando: Case closed, then. Let's get back to what Pittsburgh must do to contend again, specifically on defense.

Williamson: Cameron Heyward is a really good starting defensive end. Brett Keisel could still be decent if brought back on the right terms. The Steelers need a pure 3-4 nose tackle and an active, young defensive end. Jones isn't strong enough against the run yet, but he has to be one of the outside linebackers. Lawrence Timmons is one of the better players at his position. It's time to move on from Ryan Clark and Larry Foote even though those guys' leadership has value. Troy Polamalu is the tough one. He's expensive and has played well for the most part, but he is a liability in coverage, his freelancing gets him in trouble and injuries are always a concern. They also need another safety even if Polamalu remains in the picture.

The outlook

Sando: One of the biggest problems I see for Pittsburgh is in Ohio, not Pennsylvania. The Cincinnati Bengals have put together an impressive array of young talent. They are so far ahead of the Steelers and on the rise. But it could be a lot worse in Pittsburgh.

Williamson: When the Steelers have gotten that early pick in the past, they've turned it into studs such as Roethlisberger or Polamalu, players to build around. Maybe they can do that this offseason. If they find the next Jonathan Ogden somewhere in the top five and hit on the second-rounder, now Ben plays well, Bell is the real deal. This is not a total rebuild. If everything goes right this offseason, I think the Steelers could contend in the AFC North as soon as next season. Unlike many of the poor teams, they do have a quarterback. But ultimately, this looks more like a two-year rebuild to me.

Trey

EJ Manuel slotted as starter this Sunday against the Steelers.

@buffalobills: Doug Marrone: barring setbacks, plan is for EJ Manuel to start at QB for #Bills. Thad Lewis also ready to play.

jmdajr

Step your game up. Get the greatest sandwich while your at it too

banh mi

04sandwich-michelman-tmagArticle.jpg

No doubt, I like those

Judging from Del Rio's comments on the offense. It sounds like losing Fox should not be much of a problem. The system seems like the cliche a well oiled machine. Peyton will call the offensive plays and keep the team at a high scoring pace.

I also do not see coach McCoy stopping this offense with his knowledge of team. It has changed a lot with Welker and a healthy J. Thomas. Chargers are going to squeel like pigs for the Broncs.

Their secondary is pretty weak too, and if I'm not mistaken their o-line is still banged up and never was good to begin with. Should be a easy enough win.

Bowser

A little tidbit on the Panthers' dominance over the last month:

And feel free to dismiss the weak-opponent talk, as the Panthers have won those four by a combined 130-48 — one of three teams in the past five seasons to win four straight by 15 or more points.

Insider piece on whether Tomlin should be fired. Matt Williamson (who is a Pittsburgh guy I believe) thinks he should be

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9939990/nfl-how-far-pittsburgh-steelers-competing

Bunch of the same find-someone-to-blame bullshit fans have been saying all season. Cowher had 4 more wins in his first 100 games. Cowher had three seasons of mediocrity before building a championship caliber team. Steelers aren't giving up on Tomlin so soon.

Talent is old, and the defense needs to be broken down. They have a point that McClendon is not a good long term plan at NT, but that just lends to the idea that the team needs to be blown up.

Godslay

Banned

One thing to know the offense, another thing to stop it. I'm sure there's enough changes to make it less predictable. Same thing they did against the Ravens, setup plays that looked identical to last year, yet when ran are something different.

Their secondary is pretty weak too, and if I'm not mistaken their o-line is still banged up and never was good to begin with. Should be a easy enough win.

I think with Rivers playing as well as he has, it's not going to be an easy win. I still have us coming out with the W, but if the Broncos play sloppy like they have Bolts will be in it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Bunch of the same find-someone-to-blame bullshit fans have been saying all season. Cowher had 4 more wins in his first 100 games. Cowher had three seasons of mediocrity before building a championship caliber team. Steelers aren't giving up on Tomlin so soon.

Talent is old, and the defense needs to be broken down. They have a point that McClendon is not a good long term plan at NT, but that just lends to the idea that the team needs to be blown up.

I don't care how much squicken wants Tomlin to coach the Rams. That shit isn't going to happen.

I think McClendon should eventually be an end, with a rotation of he, Heyward and possibly Arnfelt. Fangupo is on the active roster, but I don't think he's dressed yet. So, NT is basically filled by the best fit on the roster.

Basically, Williamson is echoing everything I've said as far as the roster/team needs go. Need a number one receiver and health on the line, offensively. Need a new set of db's.

Hunter S.

Rivers leads the league with a 72.2 percent completion percentage, which would break Drew Brees’ NFL record 71.2 percent completion rate set in 2011. He also ranks third in league with a 106.5 passer rating, fourth in touchdowns with 19, fourth in average yards per pass with 8.38 and is tied for fifth in completions with 213. Rivers is on pace for a 4,946-yard campaign, which would mark the first time in his career that he has averaged more than 300 yards per game. His career high is 4,710 yards, which averages out to 294.4 yards per game.

I think the game will be 47-37.

http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...-NFL-QBs/0192592f-4e66-4a46-894a-02e7a41fd5d1

I don't care how much squicken wants Tomlin to coach the Rams. That shit isn't going to happen.

I think McClendon should eventually be an end, with a rotation of he, Heyward and possibly Arnfelt. Fangupo is on the active roster, but I don't think he's dressed yet. So, NT is basically filled by the best fit on the roster.

Basically, Williamson is echoing everything I've said as far as the roster/team needs go. Need a number one receiver and health on the line, offensively. Need a new set of db's.

I think Fangupo dressed last week. Still, he's had like 3 snaps all season, and he's already 28 years old.

Yeah, I think next year's line will be Heyward, McClendon, and whoever gets drafted at NT. Worst part of this season is that everybody's running on us. McClendon is a great penetrating DT, but Hampton he is not.

squicken

Dunno how this is a me thing. I listen to lots of podcasts and there are lots of Steelers fans in the football media. There's lots of arguing on Tomlin amongst fans. Colbert too. Just like there's always talk about the Giants when they struggle. High profile teams struggling get ink

Draconian

Well, maybe Seneca will show some improvement this week now that he's getting reps with the first team offense.

Oh who am I kidding? Mike will call nothing but runs and we'll get lit up by Nick Foles. feelsbadman.

Drakeon

A little tidbit on the Panthers' dominance over the last month:

49ers over the last five weeks are 175-61 (140-50 if you only want to go last 4 weeks) :)

Has to be the game of the week. SD vs Den could be good too. It's a pity they are on at the same time.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think Fangupo dressed last week. Still, he's had like 3 snaps all season, and he's already 28 years old.

Yeah, I think next year's line will be Heyward, McClendon, and whoever gets drafted at NT. Worst part of this season is that everybody's running on us. McClendon is a great penetrating DT, but Hampton he is not.

McClendon just doesn't have the size and strength needed to play nose. He gets turned and moved out of the way every time he's doubled. Hampton could be triple teamed and he wouldn't budge.

McClendon just doesn't have the size and strength needed to play nose. He gets turned and moved out of the way every time he's doubled. Hampton could be triple teamed and he wouldn't budge.

I think the big question mark is what they're gonna do with Hood. He's already been benched, does he stay with the team next year, or does he think he can get starter money somewhere else?

I think with Rivers playing as well as he has, it's not going to be an easy win. I still have us coming out with the W, but if the Broncos play sloppy like they have Bolts will be in it.

I dunno, he might keep them in it. I'd prefer you guys to win it. We'll see what happens I guess.

One thing to know the offense, another thing to stop it. I'm sure there's enough changes to make it less predictable. Same thing they did against the Ravens, setup plays that looked identical to last year, yet when ran are something different.

Is there even 1 team in the NFL that you would say the Broncos would have an easy time beating? The Bolts lost to the Redskins, the Broncos will have no problem at all against them.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Find slo!

BYfi7i7IMAAnTmL.jpg

I think the big question mark is what they're gonna do with Hood. He's already been benched, does he stay with the team next year, or does he think he can get starter money somewhere else?

Jettisoned. Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere as a starter and magically turns into an compensatory 4th round draft pick.

To be clear, I consider him a bust. Has the physical talent but has never gotten his technique straight.

Godslay

Banned
Is there even 1 team in the NFL that you would say the Broncos would have an easy time beating? The Bolts lost to the Redskins, the Broncos will have no problem at all against them.

Sure, there are plenty of teams that the Broncos can beat most of the time. Teams that can score are the ones that I think will give us trouble. That's why I felt that way with the Eagles, Cowboys, and now the Chargers. At the time, I felt the Eagles would play better, so I thought they would be able to go blow for blow. I was wrong at the time, but that's the jist of it.

There is a team on our upcoming schedule that I think we'll blow the doors off, but I won't say who. Just have to wait to see how it plays out I guess.

Sure, there are plenty of teams that the Broncos can beat most of the time. Teams that can score are the ones that I think will give us trouble. That's why I felt that way with the Eagles, Cowboys, and now the Chargers. At the time, I felt the Eagles would play better, so I thought they would be able to go blow for blow. I was wrong at the time, but that's the jist of it.

There is a team on our upcoming schedule that I think we'll blow the doors off, but I won't say who. Just have to wait to see how it plays out I guess.

At least we wont have to wait long.

What team?

Milchjon

These are good guesses. They're both on the schedule... Wouldn't want to shame Kubes though.

I'm also looking forward to playing the Pats, Brady v. Manning is always good. Maybe we'll get it together this year, doubt it will be anything but a close game.

I'll happily use the "2:30 AM game" excuse to avoid watching this game.

Welker :'(

Top Bottom