• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 11 |OT| - This thread is empty, like the stands in Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
That game said more about our defense than anything else.

He played alright in that game. Its not like Brady did anything spectacular. Our defense was non-existent. You literally could not see defenders on the screen during some of those completions.

Troy specifically. But Ben did have his problems.

edit: I DVR'd that game, but I can't stand to watch it.

He signed an 8 year, 102 million dollar contract with 36 million in guarantees in '08.

At the time it made him one of the highest paid players in the league and it was one of the richest contracts the Steelers had given. Boo hoo for him.

lol that seems low by today's standards, still no way flacco deserves that kind of money

bionic77

Dude, I'm not talking defense. I know your defense was horrible and those TDs were hilarious. But Ben had several shit throws where he had no one to blame but himself. I remember at least one that should've been a TD.

If I had access to Gamepass right now, I'd even go back and look for the plays, because I love rewatching the game. Alas, I'm a dirty poor and that shit's outrageously expensive.
I remember. He had Sanders wide open for a TD and he flubbed the pass. Most likely Sanders would have dropped the ball anyways because he is a piece of shit but it was a bad throw by Ben.

I don't remember that many bad throws though. And I do remember him making a decent amount of good throws.

It was not a perfect game (not even close), but it was not the kind of game where you say our qb is over the fucking hill and time to start thinking about the future (i.e. Tom Bradys entire season before the Steelers game).

lol that seems low by today's standards
Well sure but the Steelers didn't sign Ben to an 8 year extension in 2013, either.;)

Market is what the market is at the time the player signs the contract. They have the entire life of that contract in front of them when they put their name to the paper.

Not that it's any guarantee in the NFL of course but contract disputes are entertaining when it comes from an underperforming player.

Eli Manning was signed to a 6 year, 97.5 million contract with 30+ million guaranteed in 2009. He's due a new contract in 2015. He keeps throwing interceptions and it's hard to come to the table and say you deserve more money. Multiple rings or not.

He signed an 8 year, 102 million dollar contract with 36 million in guarantees in '08.

At the time it made him one of the highest paid players in the league and it was one of the richest contracts the Steelers had given. Boo hoo for him.

Yeah, was going to say, his contract is one of the main reasons they're always up against the cap. At least he got to another SB after that, though he wasted it trying to complete passes to that bum Wallace.

MechDX

nintendo-64-kid-o.gif

IT'S HERE!

Plug it in and watch it die,.

#SCHAUBED

I remember. He had Sanders wide open for a TD and he flubbed the pass. Most likely Sanders would have dropped the ball anyways because he is a piece of shit but it was a bad throw by Ben.

I don't remember that many bad throws though. And I do remember him making a decent amount of good throws.

It was not a perfect game (not even close), but it was not the kind of game where you say our qb is over the fucking hill and time to start thinking about the future (i.e. Tom Bradys entire season before the Steelers game).

Look at it another way - why waste Ben's remaining years on a shit team, as you say.

Cut/trade him, save the money and rebuild.

Dude, I'm not talking defense. I know your defense was horrible and those TDs were hilarious. But Ben had several shit throws where he had no one to blame but himself. I remember at least one that should've been a TD.

If I had access to Gamepass right now, I'd even go back and look for the plays, because I love rewatching the game. Alas, I'm a dirty poor and that shit's outrageously expensive.

Yeah, but he had a season high 4 TD passes, threw for 400 yards, and finished with his third highest QB rating of the season. The other two games were wins because the D held their opponents to 6 and 16 points.

bionic77

Look at it another way - why waste Ben's remaining years on a shit team, as you say.

Cut/trade him, save the money and rebuild.
Fuck Ben. I don't give a fuck if he gets a chance at another contender.

I only care about the Steelers and unless we can draft an Andrew Luck in the draft as his replacement it would be dumb to get rid of him. I mean are we even sure that Tomlin is capable of rebuilding a defense let alone an entire football team? And now we are asking him to start over at qb?

Just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I would rather hold on to the qb we know can play and hope we can hit some homeruns in the draft and free agency and hope we can get back there again.

Fuck Ben. I don't give a fuck if he gets a chance at another contender.

I only care about the Steelers and unless we can draft an Andrew Luck in the draft as his replacement it would be dumb to get rid of him. I mean are we even sure that Tomlin is capable of rebuilding a defense let alone an entire football team? And now we are asking him to start over at qb?

Just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I would rather hold on to the qb we know can play and hope we can hit some homeruns in the draft and free agency and hope we can get back there again.

That's what we're doing right now.

This is only going to get worse. Defense is too old to contend - Keisel, Clark, and maybe Polamalu are gone at season's end. Taylor next year. O-line is young as shit and while Brown is a great receiver he's not a true number one. Miller is at the end of his prime and we have no one behind him, as the TE carousel has indicated. Why keep a 100 million QB just to lose close games? Trade him for picks, commit to being bad, and start again. If Tomlin's not the guy, they'll get rid of him, but having a QB who doesn't want to listen to coaching isn't the way to judge that.

Milchjon

I just realized that Assassins Creed games had me hyped since the very first one, but I haven't played a single one.

Which one would be the best start? How's the 3rd for a lover of all things NE?

squicken

I just realized that Assassins Creed games had me hyped since the very first one, but I haven't played a single one.

Ass Creed 2 is one of the best games of the generation. I like the first one but lots of people who like the other games don't like it

AC3 is awful. They got progressively worse once it went annualized

rando14

1st was okay, the 2 trio are pretty solid (though I wasnt a fan of revelations too much), 3 sucks, 4 is good if you like pirate shit

Milchjon

Ass Creed 2 is one of the best games of the generation. I like the first one but lots of people who like the other games don't like it

1st was okay, the 2 trio are pretty solid (though I wasnt a fan of revelations too much), 3 sucks, 4 is good if you like pirate shit

Thanks, I'll look into it. I actually think AC4 looks quite good.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Let's just do a rolling list of psn names. I can't think of a better way to do it. Copy the list, put your psn at the bottom. I'll make sure to post it in next week's thread, too.

Drakeon = Drakieon
BlackGhost = BLACK-ghost6
chuckddd = chuckddd

Huh? This tool says we'd be 2 mil over the cap if we outright cut Ben next year. Cut Troy too and we're 6 million under.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Steelers

(I'm not a big Cap guy and I don't know if this is accurate so take it with a grain of salt.)
It looks to be right. You have to weigh in the dead money alongside the cap savings number. You'd gain almost nothing by outright cutting him outright in 2014.

If you made him a June 1st cut, you could spread the dead money hit across two years and end up UNDER the cap by 4 million. A far better scenario and doable if you just wanted to cut your losses.

Let's just do a rolling list of psn names. I can't think of a better way to do it. Copy the list, put your psn at the bottom. I'll make sure to post it in next week's thread, too.

Drakeon = Drakieon
chuckddd = chuckddd
Drakeon = Drakieon
chuckddd = chuckddd
futurevoid = futurevoid

Drakeon = Drakieon
chuckddd = chuckddd
yankeehater = ILOVEWii60

Drakeon = Drakieon
chuckddd = chuckddd
futurevoid = futurevoid
yankeehater = ILOVEWii60
Alligatorjandro= WildMooseNick
Chris.trejo = Maguss

bionic77

That's what we're doing right now.

This is only going to get worse. Defense is too old to contend - Keisel, Clark, and maybe Polamalu are gone at season's end. Taylor next year. O-line is young as shit and while Brown is a great receiver he's not a true number one. Miller is at the end of his prime and we have no one behind him, as the TE carousel has indicated. Why keep a 100 million QB just to lose close games? Trade him for picks, commit to being bad, and start again. If Tomlin's not the guy, they'll get rid of him, but having a QB who doesn't want to listen to coaching isn't the way to judge that.
Took us more than 20 years to find another franchise qb after Bradshaw.

If we can get another one I am all for letting him go but I haven't heard any compelling reasons as why now would be a good time to do it.

I have AC 2 not yet to be played due to not having time and playing SSF4:AE. But will check it in a couple of Weeks when I get a week off for Thanksgiving

Took us more than 20 years to find another franchise qb after Bradshaw.

If we can get another one I am all for letting him go but I haven't heard any compelling reasons as why now would be a good time to do it.

I'm afraid of wandering in the desert for 40 years too, but we're not doing much better now. I hate the feeling of having Ben and still losing.

For only $6m in savings? They would be better off keeping him unless they are trying to go full tank and then rebuild. Without Ben they might be a 2-14 team, and the extra $6m isnt going to help you bring in much.

If you're getting rid of Ben, you're tanking. Plus, he wouldn't be the only one gone. Keisel and Clark are off the books this summer, and if Ben goes, Troy goes.

Tom Penny

Why would the Steelers blow it up after all the great years of drafting they have had? Ben is holding down all that young talent. Time to move him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If you're getting rid of Ben, you're tanking. Plus, he wouldn't be the only one gone. Keisel and Clark are off the books this summer, and if Ben goes, Troy goes.
What is this, the fucking NBA? You only tank on purpose if you're sure you'll get Andrew Luck in the draft. Otherwise, it's sheer idiocy.

bionic77

What is this, the fucking NBA? You only tank on purpose if you're sure you'll get Andrew Luck in the draft. Otherwise, it's sheer idiocy.
Yeah I really don't get what Deacon is talking about.

The one position in football that you usually can't replace is a franchise qb. And his plan is to get rid of Ben and torch the whole thing so we can save on to the genius Todd Haley, who has had his share of problems with other players in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom