• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 13 |OT| Guns of the Patriots

Colasante

That's not a rebuild. The trenches on both sides are shit. Granted, Mathis is having a resurgent season, but he's old guard. Colts were winning games despite their sieve like o-line, no running game, and suspect defense. Now, unsurprisingly, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Why do you say that? Grigson acquired the starting QB, WR, 2 TEs, and RB in one draft. That's almost never accomplished. There are only so many picks one has in any given draft, and he chose to upgrade the offensive skill players and ignore the defense and offensive line. Obviously that's become a problem, but that doesn't take away from the impressive draft haul. They were expected to be the worst team in the league and made the playoffs almost entirely on the back of their rookie draft class, along with Wayne and Mathis, of course.

Since then Ballard, Bradshaw, Wayne, Allen, and guard Donald Thomas have all suffered season-ending injuries. Every team suffers injuries and the Colts aren't necessarily any more banged up than some other teams like the Packers or Patriots, but still, this would be a very different team today if they had all those players. It'd also be different if Pep Hamilton didn't insist on instilling his offensive system to the detriment of the team.

Why do you say that? Grigson acquired the starting QB, WR, 2 TEs, and RB in one draft. That's almost never accomplished. There are only so many picks one has in any given draft, and he chose to upgrade the offensive skill players and ignore the defense and offensive line. Obviously that's become a problem, but that doesn't take away from the impressive draft haul. They were expected to be the worst team in the league and made the playoffs almost entirely on the back of their rookie draft class, along with Wayne and Mathis, of course.

Since then Ballard, Bradshaw, Wayne, Allen, and guard Donald Thomas have all suffered season-ending injuries. Every team suffers injuries and the Colts aren't necessarily any more banged up than some other teams like the Packers or Patriots, but still, this would be a very different team today if they had all those players. It'd also be different if Pep Hamilton didn't insist on instilling his offensive system to the detriment of the team.

The reason i'm saying that is because so far Grigson has fixed none of the problems that got the Polians fired. I agree that it is interesting that Grisgon rebuilt the entire offensive skill players, but aside from QB which was a lock anyway the skill positions are not the reason the Colts went 2-14. The team lacked talent in the trenches then, and still do now. Luck was doing everything to coat over those mistakes but then the playoffs came and the Colts looked horrible. The same will happen this year.

Going back to that Colts Broncos game, I was hearing the same things I heard when Peyton was still a Colt; how the FO did an amazing job "rebuilding" when all they did was paint the fences and hang new drapes.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I do think that there's probably some unnecessary complication there (even ignoring the fact that Kaep isn't Peyton), but Harbaugh managed to make it work well with Andrew Luck.

I realize that college isn't the NFL and Kaep isn't Luck, and that Roman plays a part in this, but I doubt "offensive genius" Harbaugh just forgot how to coach. He must not think Roman is that bad if he hasn't fired him yet.

Luck's college numbers weren't all that prolific and receivers are always open in college. Luck never won the MNCG either and, in fact, Kaep has gotten closer than Luck did to the top of the heap.

As for the play calling craziness, they just got too in-love with a style that I think NFL teams have caught up to as this point. Heck, they move one linebacker a couple of yards with 5 seconds to go on the play-clock and it sends the entire offense into a play-changing panic. That has to stop. Harbaugh seems like a smart dude so hopefully they can adjust to the adjustments opposing defenses have made and just simplify it a bit.

What in the actual god forsaken fuck is up with the picture of Joe Haden on his Wikipedia page. I'm on my phone so it's a pain in the ass to post pics but Jesus

Here.

300px-Joe_Haden_dressed_up.jpg

cdyhybrid

Luck's college numbers weren't all that prolific and receivers are always open in college. Luck never won the MNCG either and, in fact, Kaep has gotten closer than Luck did to the top of the heap.

Stanford didn't run up the score like Oregon or the entire Big 12. If they got any sort of lead they would just run it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over with their All-American O-line and then pop you with play-action. Their defense was also good enough to allow them to do that. A lot of Luck's adjustments at the line were for running plays, not pass route adjustments.

Not winning the national title means nothing, the BCS is and was a joke. They were one of the top 5 teams/programs in the entire country Luck's last two years there. I'd have given them at least 50/50 shot to beat any team in the SEC (and by extension the entire country) those two seasons.

TL;DR - the offense is good if your QB can take full advantage of it. Not a high flying air raid or Oregon spread, but it works well.

That said, I dunno how different the offense is now compared to what it was back at Stanford.

rando14

I don't like Russell, but your avatar is lovely and gives every post of yours a flair of fun and friendliness.

Haha thanks brother! Your avatar is likewise very appealing and friendly! :)

That reminds me I need to photoshop a santa hat for the holidays

ShaneB

I was just about to wonder what 'A Football Life' I should watch while eating dinner, but now I realize that the Steve Gleason one is on tonight. Should be great.

edit: oh crap at that pic. bahahaha

Just saw on sportscenter, " QB Joe Flacco does not like Eavens running Wildcat offense" and his quote was "It makes us look like a high school offense."

Shut up Joe. You don't put Tyrod in a corner!

Top Bottom