• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 13 |OT| Guns of the Patriots

squicken

Ryan Tannehill has been sacked in the first quarter this season four times, in the second quarter eight times, in the third quarter 13 times and in the fourth quarter a whopping 19 times. He has been sacked 13 times in 103 dropbacks in the fourth quarter with the game within seven points. Not surprisingly, his effectiveness drops in the fourth quarter: two touchdowns, five interceptions, 5.98 yards per attempt, a 56.6% completion rate. Tannehill also runs more in the fourth quarter than other quarters -- 11 carries for 56 yards -- an indicator that many of his pass attempts become emergency pocket ejections.
--

The biggest cause of Tannehill's escalating sacks appears to be his coaching staff's unwillingness to adjust. Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are in the denial about the existence of the slot corner blitz; if some defensive back attacks Tannehill from the left, he is almost guaranteed a free shot. Opponents slowly find this and other weaknesses in the Dolphins protection scheme while verifying that the Dolphins running game is a minimal threat. By the fourth quarter, the Dolphins are in constant down-and-distance dilemmas, facing blitzes that evolved to attack their weaknesses, and Philbin-Sherman have no ready countermeasures. So you get games that end like the Panthers game. And the Ravens game. And the Patriots game.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64236026/

More previews at the link

Bowser

I love how the media is just now figuring out the Panthers have a crap running game. The offensive line has no talent at guard or right tackle. Starting a guy who was playing defensive tackle and have another one backing him up lol, of course the run game is shit.

Yeah and it doesn't help that the past two weeks Hartsock has been out. He's been by far the best run-blocking TE in the league according to PFF.

I disagree with the bolded part of the second paragraph. From what I've seen the primary reason for all the sacks on Tannehill in the fourth boils down to two things:

1. By that point in the game everyone knows the Dolphins absolutely cannot run the ball. The coaching staff has abandoned the idea and the defense has gone into full-on pass rush mode. I know the article mentions this but in my opinion it is not a coaching issue, it is a personnel issue.

2. Degrading pass protection. I'm not sure if this is more conditioning, age, or some other factor but the o-line simply gets worse as the game goes on. Look at the Ravens game, for example. The two late sacks by Suggs had little to do with coaching, they had to do with guys like Clabo getting demolished in one on one situations. But hey, Tyson Clabo is 32 and has a history with injuries. McKinnie is always out of shape and is 34. Incognito is 30 and is declining. It makes sense that these guys wouldn't be able to hold up late in games, and it's just one more reason Clabo and McKinnie aren't still playing for the Falcons and Ravens.

The o-line needs a complete and total overhaul. Is it true that the coaching staff has made mistakes at times? Of course, absolutely. But the simple fact to me is that a football team starts with personnel, and when it comes to the Dolphins o-line it just isn't there. That's on Ireland.

I misread this as 'I too love Dhalsim."

myjvHtu.gif

squicken

I
2. Degrading pass protection. I'm not sure if this is more conditioning, age, or some other factor but the o-line simply gets worse as the game goes on. Look at the Ravens game, for example. The two late sacks by Suggs had little to do with coaching, they had to do with guys like Clabo getting demolished in one on one situations. But hey, Tyson Clabo is 32 and has a history with injuries. McKinnie is always out of shape and is 34. Incognito is 30 and is declining. It makes sense that these guys wouldn't be able to hold up late in games, and it's just one more reason Clabo and McKinnie aren't still playing for the Falcons and Ravens.

In the link, he rings up conditioning. I just didn't c/p that part. I like Tanier, but no writer can watch all the games. He makes mistakes all the times with the Rams that makes me hesitant to put much stock in his opinion on them. One of the things I have always liked about Greg Cosell is he will not hesitate to say he hasn't watched a player or game

In the link, he rings up conditioning. I just didn't c/p that part. I like Tanier, but no writer can watch all the games. He makes mistakes all the times with the Rams that makes me hesitant to put much stock in his opinion on them. One of the things I have always liked about Greg Cosell is he will not hesitate to say he hasn't watched a player or game
Yeah, I saw that after I made my post. He mentions it briefly but then quickly discards the idea that it could be a major issue. I mean, I'm just some guy on the internet who has watched the games live, I'm not doing film study or anything so I'm sure there is some validity to his points. It's just that for me what stands out the most is horrible individual play by the o-line late in games.

What's also strange to me is how quickly the Dolphins went from a great second half team to one of the worst. Philbin and Sherman were making solid adjustments during the first stretch of the season but now they are losing the second half battle to guys like Schiano. Did everyone just figure them out or something?

effzee

Well I don't plan on being banned...I will certainly be around for the Eagles playoff run this year and every possible game next year.

I'm just tired of the US. I wake up nearly every day and hear about shootings and shit and republicans trying to do ridiculous things. I'm just ready to live somewhere without all that ridiculousness, plus Guinness.

Yeah I feel you. But I think there are right wing and stupid people everywhere.

I'm married with a kid on the way. Plus I live in NYC so it makes it easier to not have to deal with some things I imagine people living in the mid west or rural areas have to confront.

On Foles...

Just glad he doesn't look like the derpiest looking starting QB. Thanks Glennon!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Damn Stephen A. went in. Can't blame him though

damn, no doubt he did.

Doesn't matter if weed is legal or not, you piss positive at any job you're gonna get in trouble.

I think these guys are morons, from what former players have said is, you get tested ONE TIME for drugs, in the off season, until you test positive, then they test you whenever they feel like it.

squicken

Insider piece on Luck vs Wilson

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=4223

We usually use the scores to measure a quarterback's contributions to winning, but the numbers can also reveal what a QB is up against depending upon the strength of his team's defense. Luck has a much higher bar to clear.

The Colts' opponents have posted a 58.1 QBR score since Luck arrived. The figure has been 45.8 for the Seahawks' opponents with Wilson. All else equal, Wilson could expect to win about 54 percent of the time, compared to 42 percent for Luck. But all else has not been equal. Seattle has had a much stronger defense. Nine of the 29 starting quarterbacks to face Seattle during the Wilson era finished those games with QBR scores south of 20. Seven more failed to reach 40. The Colts' defense has held only six of 28 opposing starters beneath 40. That is a big, big difference. One for which Luck has directly had to compensate.

The Colts have needed more from their quarterback to win games consistently. Pass attempts are one part of the equation. Luck has attempted 42.8 per game, compared to 30.8 for Wilson. The gap in their teams' QB dependence shines through in the QBR numbers as well. Indy has a 15-1 record (.938) when Luck posts a QBR score above 60 and a 3-9 record (.250) the rest of the time. That's about as QB-reliant as a team could be. The Seahawks' winning percentage is actually higher when Wilson's QBR is below 60 (10-3, .769) than when it is above that mark (12-4, .750). Seattle's relative strength in other areas is a great equalizer.

The disparity comes as no shock. Luck joined a team that had posted a 2-14 record the year before. Seattle had twice gone 7-9 before Wilson became the Seahawks' starter.

Tom Penny

You're getting ripped off if you're paying for insider to learn that Seattle's D is better than the Colts and Luck has to do more for them to win.

squicken

I like that almost every Ravens fan resents the team for giving Flacco that contract. and really, what other $20m QB would ever have that done to his offense? Flacco throws a good prayer ball, which works when there's a great defense in place and he only needs one to come through a game

You're getting ripped off if you're paying for insider to learn that Seattle's D is better than the Colts and Luck has to do more for them to win.

I agree it is obvious. Just posting some of the data around it. fww Insider is pretty good. Had a Groupon for the Magazine awhile back that it costs ~$8/ yr

Furyous

As fun as it is to party off the PEDhawks, this situation is blown out of proportion. According to PFT, this could be the result of a missed test.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...air-implementation-of-substance-abuse-policy/

I knew Russell Wilson was a better QB than Andrew after their first college game. Russell is the best QB out of his draft class. Anyone that downgrades Russell in comparison to Andrew citing defense misses a point. The Seahawks defense is supposed to suck. Going into last year most of the players on that defense were inexperienced. In other words, they weren't supposed to be this good. You can't ding Russell for having a goid defense but let Andrew off the hook for having a hall of fame wide receiver, his college tight end, and veteran running backs. Trent Richardson (thanks for the draft pick) is a first round talent. By all accounts Andrew should have a better career but doesn't.

cashman

Banned
If you guys could move to any city in the US, where would you go? I ask because I'm about a year away from graduating, and I'm done with the shitty south shore of MA. San Diego is my first choice (go chargers, fuck chan), but I'm open to other cities.

Probably anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. Although it's crazy expensive and I don't know how I'd adjust to the weather.

rando14

Probably anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. Although it's crazy expensive and I don't know how I'd adjust to the weather.

the seattle area isn't too expensive, though obviously it depends on where you live. as for weather, hey it's been sunny and clear for like the past 10 days!!

Trey

As fun as it is to party off the PEDhawks, this situation is blown out of proportion. According to PFT, this could be the result of a missed test.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...air-implementation-of-substance-abuse-policy/

I knew Russell Wilson was a better QB than Andrew after their first college game. Russell is the best QB out of his draft class. Anyone that downgrades Russell in comparison to Andrew citing defense misses a point. The Seahawks defense is supposed to suck. Going into last year most of the players on that defense were inexperienced. In other words, they weren't supposed to be this good. You can't ding Russell for having a goid defense but let Andrew off the hook for having a hall of fame wide receiver, his college tight end, and veteran running backs. Trent Richardson (thanks for the draft pick) is a first round talent. By all accounts Andrew should have a better career but doesn't.

It's been a season and a half.

I like that almost every Ravens fan resents the team for giving Flacco that contract. and really, what other $20m QB would ever have that done to his offense? Flacco throws a good prayer ball, which works when there's a great defense in place and he only needs one to come through a game

I can't tell if you're defending Flacco or not.

Either way, you're right. We resent the contract because it's a franchise crusher, unless the QB is deserving, ie Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc....you know, the type of QB that makes any team they're on into an immediate playoff team.

And Flacco is a 20mil dollar QB in contract only; he is not on the same planet as the rest of that club when it comes to talent. He does throw a nice deep ball, whether it be 10 yards underthrown drawing a DPI, or falling perfectly into Jacoby Jones' hands like his sweet one from last week.

The one thing is.....our D is getting better and better and we MIGHT be in a situation where Flacco can come through once a game, stop turning it over like he never has before, and we could ride a crescendoing defense into the playoffs, where Joe Flacco dies and Superbowl MVP and Playoff demigod Joe Flacco is born.

Of note: Ravens D is good, I don't have numbers, but I think we're like 10 in total D, but top 5 in TOs and maybe #1 in sacks. We're up there in PPG allowed, and I'm pretty sure that includes the pick-6s and other offense induced points.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what the purpose of Modbot is. I know it doesn't do it automatically. I think it's just so a mod's name isn't attached to a locking?

I think he's mostly there to facilitate Steam key giveaways, but it's probably convenient for mods to lock certain threads/ ban certain members without seeing a bunch of "OMG SO and SO is a total fucking asshole!"

I watch a lot of cowboy games since everyone else in my family are cowboy fans and I wouldn't have minded having Romo on my team

Romo's actually secretly been brilliant, but when you play for AMERICA'S TEAM ™, all of your failures are magnified and that's all people will talk about. Who cares that you threw for 350 yds and 4-0 TD/INT, you fumbled the snap on the last drive and lost the game. LOLMO

You could do a whole hell of a lot worse then Romo as your quaterback game to game, but man, it must really wear on cowboys fans to see him play so well then fail in so many critical moments. Even when it's not entirely his fault.

xnipx

I can't tell if you're defending Flacco or not.

Either way, you're right. We resent the contract because it's a franchise crusher, unless the QB is deserving, ie Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc....you know, the type of QB that makes any team they're on into an immediate playoff team.

And Flacco is a 20mil dollar QB in contract only; he is not on the same planet as the rest of that club when it comes to talent. He does throw a nice deep ball, whether it be 10 yards underthrown drawing a DPI, or falling perfectly into Jacoby Jones' hands like his sweet one from last week.

The one thing is.....our D is getting better and better and we MIGHT be in a situation where Flacco can come through once a game, stop turning it over like he never has before, and we could ride a crescendoing defense into the playoffs, where Joe Flacco dies and Superbowl MVP and Playoff demigod Joe Flacco is born.

Of note: Ravens D is good, I don't have numbers, but I think we're like 10 in total D, but top 5 in TOs and maybe #1 in sacks. We're up there in PPG allowed, and I'm pretty sure that includes the pick-6s and other offense induced points.

So u would have preferred if we did him like we did dilfer after winning the sb? He was a dreaming MVP. Do you think Eli and Ryan deserved their contracts? How about Big Ben? Any qb with a record like flaccos would have gotten paid. What exactly did u want us to do? Start over?

Top Bottom