• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 13 |OT| Guns of the Patriots

cashman

Banned
131126122810-49covv23e5zzm.jpg

Overall he's been decent this year. But he played like complete shit in the 2-3 games before they played the Giants. But yes, in anticipation of Romo "Romo-ing" the Giants game everybody completely missed the fact he led a brilliant drive to get the game winning FG.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Jags defense is going to make sure that Weeden makes millions and millions of dollars for years to come. You're welcome.

With another team then because he's not sticking around in Cleveland.

All of you will pay for that Hitler photo!

effzee

Overall he's been decent this year. But he played like complete shit in the 2-3 games before they played the Giants. But yes, in anticipation of Romo "Romo-ing" the Giants game everybody completely missed the fact he led a brilliant drive to get the game winning FG.

I think the problem is that your D sucks. Your running game is suspect. So much of the team's success rest's Romo playing really well. So when he doesn't have a good game or makes that big mistake IT IS on him. When he does play well and wins IT IS because of him.

He has all the talent but I think when he is relied on to do so much, the odds are against him and eventually he will make mistakes.

Furyous

It's been a season and a half.

The hyperbole surrounding Luck partially negates your valid statement. Peyton Manning, John Elway, Dan Marino, etc., were can't-miss prospects. Andrew Luck was one of those guys allegedly. Irsay said was the best QB prospect since Manning. Remember, Luck was touted as a once in a generation prospect. The fact that Russell is in the conversation with Luck and leading the crop of QBs from his draft class RIGHT TODAY says everything about Luck I need to know. Indy couldn't pass on him but that Washington team would be in a better place with Russell at the helm.

Weeden starting so we don't screw up the draft pick.

So u would have preferred if we did him like we did dilfer after winning the sb? He was a dreaming MVP. Do you think Eli and Ryan deserved their contracts? How about Big Ben? Any qb with a record like flaccos would have gotten paid. What exactly did u want us to do? Start over?

To answer your questions......

Yes
Yes Eli, No Ryan
Yes
Offer Flacco less, and let his ass walk if need be
No, our D is solid, we wouldn't be starting over.

I wish there was an equivalent NFL stat for WAR (their probably is, but I don't know about it). But lets look at it conceptually......of the 32 to starting QBs, who would be an average QB, if we ranked all 32, who would be 16? Tannenhill? Carson Palmer? So if they're the average QB, how many more wins a season is Joe Flacco worth than Tannenhill? If you popped Tannenhill in on the Ravens offense instead of Flacco, are we worse than 5-6? Maybe, but substanially? No. I couldn't see us being worse than 4-7 at this point with this defense with Tannenhill or Palmer in there. Flacco is only marginally better than those QBs. His WAR would be like .7

On the flip-side, what is Peyton Mannings WAR (remember the year he missed in Indy), or Brees or Brady. Replace Brady with Tannenhill, that team is 5-6 at best, so maybe a WAR of 3, which is super high a season that is 11 games in. Now, put any of those other QBs who make Flacco money on the Ravens. You don't think we could be a few games better? Shit, of our 6 losses, 4 have been by 3 points of less! We pay Flacco like someone who is worth 3 more wins than the average, why not expect him to play that way. And when we know going in that he isn't capable of being much more than a slightly above average QB (yes, with playoff super abilities), then why not be remorseful that your team committed that much money to someone worth so much less?

And it doesn't help that Joe is having with worst year since his rookie year.....when he split out to WR, caught 43 yard passes and didn't complain about it.

Yeah....that happened

I think the problem is that your D sucks. Your running game is suspect. So much of the team's success rest's Romo playing really well. So when he doesn't have a good game or makes that big mistake IT IS on him. When he does play well and wins IT IS because of him.

He has all the talent but I think when he is relied on to do so much, the odds are against him and eventually he will make mistakes.

Pretty much, when the rest of the team fails (like the Denver game...) Romo has to put the team on his back and he's had success and failure in doing that, but when he has a competent running game or any kind of defense Romo can and usually leads you to victory of course this is ignoring the coaching...which can be really terrible. If the Cowboys had a coach like say Payton they would have won a SB already.

xnipx

To answer your questions......

Yes
Yes Eli, No Ryan
Yes
Offer Flacco less, and let his ass walk if need be
No, our D is solid, we wouldn't be starting over.

I wish there was an equivalent NFL stat for WAR (their probably is, but I don't know about it). But lets look at it conceptually......of the 32 to starting QBs, who would be an average QB, if we ranked all 32, who would be 16? Tannenhill? Carson Palmer? So if they're the average QB, how many more wins a season is Joe Flacco worth than Tannenhill? If you popped Tannenhill in on the Ravens offense instead of Flacco, are we worse than 5-6? Maybe, but substanially? No. I couldn't see us being worse than 4-7 at this point with this defense with Tannenhill or Palmer in there. Flacco is only marginally better than those QBs. His WAR would be like .7

On the flip-side, what is Peyton Mannings WAR (remember the year he missed in Indy), or Brees or Brady. Replace Brady with Tannenhill, that team is 5-6 at best, so maybe a WAR of 3, which is super high a season that is 11 games in. Now, put any of those other QBs who make Flacco money on the Ravens. You don't think we could be a few games better? Shit, of our 6 losses, 4 have been by 3 points of less! We pay Flacco like someone who is worth 3 more wins than the average, why not expect him to play that way. And when we know going in that he isn't capable of being much more than a slightly above average QB (yes, with playoff super abilities), then why not be remorseful that your team committed that much money to someone worth so much less?

And it doesn't help that Joe is having with worst year since his rookie year.....when he split out to WR, caught 43 yard passes and didn't complain about it.

Yeah....that happened

Flacco/Harbaughs regular season and post season record paints a different picture than your fictions "wins over an average quarterback" QB is gonna be one of the highest paid positions in the league going forward that's just how it's gonna be. He earned that contract not just from his play last year but his whole career. I guarantee in 3 years he won't even be a too 5 paid QB and all this nonsense will be stupid to argue about.

I watch a lot of cowboy games since everyone else in my family are cowboy fans and I wouldn't have minded having Romo on my team
Romo is the worst type of QB to have on your team, in my opinion. Good enough to stick around and put up big numbers but he's never going to take a team all the way. He is a better version of Matt Schaub. I'd take Geno Smith over Romo because at least I know he'll be gone in a year or two.

Crisco

Banned
I've given Flacco my share of shit, but I don't really think the Ravens had a choice and he would have been dumb to not push for as much as he could possibly get. Contract year, other QBs signing massive deals driving up the price tag, and coming off a super bowl run where you played lights out. It was a perfect storm. Any other team or GM would have done the same thing.

Flacco/Harbaughs regular season and post season record paints a different picture than your fictions

I'm confused. Do you forget that we have had, since Flacco arrived, a very good running game and defense? Do you claim that Flacco, and Harbaugh too, have not benefited greatly from having a very strong team in place?

In what i'm sure is no coincidence, Ben is getting the ball out quickly and the Steelers offensive numbers have risen sharply. Who knew?

steeelers4.gif

6 weeks ago Ben would have waited for Heath to get open and taken a sack. Progress!

Any other team or GM would have done the same thing.

Someone hire me!

From 2012 Offseason
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40854815&postcount=5251

Dammit Foles! I was going crazy draft time to have Baltimore take him to replace Flacco.

I will rue Foles success. Should be on the Ravens.

I'm rueing!

And this was before the 2012 season! So I said draft Foles to backup Flacco, learn, then after we win the Superbowl, we let Flacco walk, destroy another franchise with his Hindenburg contract, and we have Foles ready to go. That would have been perfect. Why did I decide to work in Healthcare IT and not be the GM of the Ravens?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I knew Russell Wilson was a better QB than Andrew after their first college game. Russell is the best QB out of his draft class. Anyone that downgrades Russell in comparison to Andrew citing defense misses a point. The Seahawks defense is supposed to suck. Going into last year most of the players on that defense were inexperienced. In other words, they weren't supposed to be this good. You can't ding Russell for having a goid defense but let Andrew off the hook for having a hall of fame wide receiver, his college tight end, and veteran running backs. Trent Richardson (thanks for the draft pick) is a first round talent. By all accounts Andrew should have a better career but doesn't.
I would quibble with this assessment. Just because everyone else didn't expect good things doesn't mean they shouldn't have to begin with. Seattle's team is built with a ton of overlooked talent and players that fit for our scheme but maybe not for most others. For example, Clemons is pretty much the ideal Leo DE, but he's a poor fit for a traditional 4-3 DE and his record before coming to Seattle shows that.

It really comes down to how the team is built. The Seahawks are built so that everything isn't on the QB by design. It's a huge plus that that Wilson is as good as he is and likely takes us from good to great, but, as he elaborated on this week, Pete Carroll doesn't believe in having the passing game as a single point of failure. The Colts depend far more on their QB, just as they did in the Manning years, but once Manning was out, they Sucked For Luck'ed.

Colasante

I've given Flacco my share of shit, but I don't really think the Ravens had a choice and he would have been dumb to not push for as much as he could possibly get. Contract year, other QBs signing massive deals driving up the price tag, and coming off a super bowl run where you played lights out. It was a perfect storm. Any other team or GM would have done the same thing.

I don't think so. I can't see Ted Thompson or Bill Belichick being held contractually hostage by any player, even a QB coming off a Super Bowl MVP campaign. As a GM, if you believe in your ability to find the right player and develop him the right way, you should never let any player's contractual demands become a hindrance to the rest of the team.

cashman

Banned
Romo is the worst type of QB to have on your team, in my opinion. Good enough to stick around and put up big numbers but he's never going to take a team all the way. He is a better version of Matt Schaub. I'd take Geno Smith over Romo because at least I know he'll be gone in a year or two.

says the guy who thinks Tannehill is an NFL level QB

says the guy who thinks Tannehill is an NFL level QB
I noticed you didn't disagree with me.

Jury's still out on Tannehill. He's had some good and some bad but it's hard to really evaluate him with how terrible the o-line play has been. I'm disappointed that he hasn't been taking many games into his hands at this point in his career but I'm not giving up on him quite yet.

Haha, Fantomex!

Random but I found this picture and I can't decide if it's cool or just funny. Maybe a little of both.

soliai.png

Big boy's comin' for you, Geno!

xnipx

Someone hire me!

From 2012 Offseason
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40854815&postcount=5251

I'm rueing!

And this was before the 2012 season! So I said draft Foles to backup Flacco, learn, then after we win the Superbowl, we let Flacco walk, destroy another franchise with his Hindenburg contract, and we have Foles ready to go. That would have been perfect. Why did I decide to work in Healthcare IT and not be the GM of the Ravens?

Almost every ravens team has had a top 5 defense. Defense is not winning chips anymore.

Many great QBs have had good defense and not had the same success flacco had. So you think a good strategy for winning Super Bowls is over paying running backs and defensive players rather than trying to secure a franchise qb? You would suck as a gm

It's amazing how much you hate flacco after he lead the ravens down the field and threw the game wining touchdown against the pats only for lee evans to drop it. And then cundiff happened. Like how can you blame flacco for anything that appended after that game??

jakncoke

Banned
So i went and got some pics and also went out where I wrecked. Got real lucky because right behind where my car rested and his the wire guardrail was a 30 foot hill fall.

7op5roa.jpg

8qS56Xw.jpg

KahSOIY.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
steeelers6.gif

Pick play. Apparently these plays are illegal.

they are. but only get called if its egregiously blatant. The patriots were doing this against the Broncos last week. Then there was the TD that gronk literally runs into the defender pushes him backwards and then pushes off, turns, and touch down.

NFL where the rules are only applied against the defense.

Top Bottom