• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

WedgeX

Banned
Also, Mayhew made a killing in picking up rookie offensive linemen this year, according to PFF. More specifically, the entire right side of the line.

PFF said:
Race for Rookie of the Year, Week 13

2. Larry Warford, RG, Lions: +19.0

Warford was solid against the Packers, notching his sixth grade in the green of the season and his third consecutive positive run blocking grade. He has been a huge addition for the Lions.

Five to Watch

LaAdrian Waddle, RT, Lions: Only playing time holding him back. Has been a revelation since starting at right tackle.

PFF said:
6. Detroit Lions: +27.2 (10)

Stud: It’s always nice when a rookie comes in and plays as well as Larry Warford (+13.9) has. He looks like a guy they will get plenty of mileage out of.

Dud: When Corey Hilliard (-1.1) played he was the least convincing of the linemen, but as his grade would suggest this is a solid unit.

Summary: Three starters gone from last year and yet the line is looking better than ever. A large part of that is down to the infusion of rookie talent with Warford and recently LaAdrian Waddle being pleasant surprises. It’s not often flashy, but it’s been highly effective.

Bowser

Gettleman did well with Star falling in his lap and 2nd round DT Kawaan Short ranking in PFF's top 10 as well

MechDX

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/houston-texans-nfl-playoffs/?eref=sihp

No, that’s not a joke headline. Despite being 2-10 with 10 consecutive losses, the Texans have yet to be eliminated from the AFC’s playoff chase. (Which also means, as you might have figured out, that every AFC team still has at least a long-shot chance at postseason play).

But since the Texas have the most remote odds — and since only one sub-.500 team (2011 Seattle) has ever qualified for the NFL playoffs — it only felt right to investigate their road to glory, with a little help from ESPN.com’s Playoff Machine.

Here’s what has to happen for the Texans to claim a wild-card spot …

• Houston must win out: The obvious. A 4-0 finish would leave the Texans at 6-10 overall, the bare minimum record they’d need to reach the playoffs. They close at Jacksonville, at Indianapolis, vs. Denver and at Tennessee.

• Baltimore and Miami must lose out: Essentially, what the Texans would be hoping for in this far-fetched scenario is a complete jumble of teams at 6-10, with Houston claiming the tiebreaker. Either the Ravens or Dolphins could eliminate Houston simply by winning one of their final four games.

• Tennessee, Pittsburgh, San Diego and New York must finish 1-3 or worse: This is still possible with the schedules in front of these teams. Again, if any other team joins Denver, New England, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Kansas City with seven-plus victories, Houston would have no shot.

• Oakland, Cleveland and Buffalo must finish 2-2 or worse: This trio of teams sits with matching 4-8 records at the moment.

The Texans’ ridiculous hope for the playoffs: to have at least seven AFC teams finish tied at 6-10 — themselves, plus the Steelers, Ravens, Dolphins, Browns, Jets, Chargers and the winner of a Week 15 game between the Bills and Jaguars. Oakland, Tennessee and the loser of that Buffalo-Jacksonville game could finish 6-10 or 5-11 without propping up another wild-card contender’s record.

Sadly the way things are in the AFC it could happen. Thank Flacco I have no worries about losing out.

MechDX

We deserve a 6-10 Super Bowl champion!

6-10 Packers vs 6-10 Texans in Superbowl!

One armed Rodgers vs No arm schaub!

Take it from me, when life happens, the last thing you're thinking about is "I need to tell the guys on NFL GAF!"

We were worried sick! I drove through the Woodlands DAILY screaming "Wienke!" and "GO PACK GO!"....nothing but mastershake in a speedo and rollerblades.

MechDX

Call me crazy but I'm feeling like Lombardi and Banner aren't just going to reach for a QB this year. They might be perfectly fine with Hoyer and possibly drafting a QB late or signing some undrafted free agent as a project...

matt-schaub-struggle.gif

Embrace your future Kave......Browns need that "wiley old vet" for insurance.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We were worried sick! I drove through the Woodlands DAILY screaming "Wienke!" and "GO PACK GO!"....nothing but mastershake in a speedo and rollerblades.

Well there's your problem, I was living in an extended stay near HWY 6 & I-10 and then moved out to Conroe! Never did learn exactly what people called that part of Houston, I told people I lived in Katy because it was close enough.

squicken

Call me crazy but I'm feeling like Lombardi and Banner aren't just going to reach for a QB this year. They might be perfectly fine with Hoyer and possibly drafting a QB late or signing some undrafted free agent as a project...

kave, they will go QB early. You've seen what Weeden does to the whole team. They need a fresh start and it's not Hoyer. Don't tread water when they already have an elite WR and LT in place. No better time to get the QB of the future. Look to BlackGhost

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What happened to Schoob anyway?

He was never this awful in prior seasons....yeah he never had a cannon for an arm but he wasn't that awful! Maybe you Texans fans can explain it. I still think it comes down to Kubiak being pretty awful.

squicken

Well there's your problem, I was living in an extended stay near HWY 6 & I-10 and then moved out to Conroe! Never did learn exactly what people called that part of Houston, I told people I lived in Katy because it was close enough.

Holy crap that's where I grew up. It's unincorporated Houston. Addicks or Barker. Also the Energy Corridor

MechDX

What part of Conroe you in? ALmost bought a house there but glad I didn't in hindsight

What happened to Schoob anyway?

He was never this awful in prior seasons....yeah he never had a cannon for an arm but he wasn't that awful! Maybe you Texans fans can explain it. I still think it comes down to Kubiak being pretty awful.

I don't think the lisfranc EVER fully healed. His throwing mechanics are way off. Without being able to plant his foot properly it made his already below average arm strength even worse. That Seattle game just ruined his confidence and Kubiak made it worse by running him out there every week

Looked ahead at our schedule for 2014. Looks nicer atm than ours this year. Getting Denver at home is great. Kansas City on the road meh. Playing the NFC East shouldn't be that hard, although I rather have Philly at home than Dallas, but meh. Only thing that sucks is we'll get Panthers or Saints on the road instead of the NFC North team we'd play.

Milchjon

Are we allowed to ask what kept you away?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Holy crap that's where I grew up. It's unincorporated Houston. Addicks or Barker. Also the Energy Corridor

Yeah I almost got an apartment in the energy corridor but I'm a regulator for the state of Texas so I travel all over the state so it made more sense to save a bunch of money living way out in Conroe.

What part of Conroe you in? ALmost bought a house there but glad I didn't in hindsight

The westside off of Loop 336.

I need to buy a house in the next few years if I plan on staying in Texas because apartments are absurdly expensive for what you get versus how much house you get for a few hundred dollars more a month than rent.

Fox318

k6tnChBl.jpg

I really enjoyed MetLife Stadium. I had great parking and it wasn't that hard to get out of the stadium. I had club seats so they had a nice heated section and inside seating. I never used it but it was nice to know if the weather really got bad and we needed a break we could get some heat.

As I mentioned before I'm not used to being around other Jets fans so it was odd to see so many in one place. Almost everyone I know besides my girlfriend is a Giants fan. They had a huge Xbox One truck outside the stadium and they were giving away free copies of Madden and they had a bunch of Xbox One's. The Stadium store and the beer was crazy expensive I guess I was hoping that they would just hit you with the ticket prices but everything was expensive. The Club section had tons of food. I never thought I could get spicy tuna rolls at a football game but I guess its nice to have the option.

Also just to compare here was the Penn State game from the week before.

Narag

ATL Podcast guys said the Browns should just use half their draft picks on QBs because they can't all suck, right?

MechDX

Yeah I almost got an apartment in the energy corridor but I'm a regulator for the state of Texas so I travel all over the state so it made more sense to save a bunch of money living way out in Conroe.

The westside off of Loop 336.

I need to buy a house in the next few years if I plan on staying in Texas because apartments are absurdly expensive for what you get versus how much house you get for a few hundred dollars more a month than rent.

Near the lake?

Yeah that's why we bought a house. Home prices are insanely low here compared to everywhere else in the country. If you stay in that area Montgomery is pretty nice.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Are we allowed to ask what kept you away?

Went through a divorce.

Instead of being a :blarry about it, I've been hitting the gym, getting involved with my church, focusing on my job, and generally just staying busy and getting my life in order!

Things have settled down so....here I am!

Milchjon

Went through a divorce.

Instead of being a :blarry about it, I've been hitting the gym, getting involved with my church, focusing on my job, and generally just staying busy and getting my life in order!

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

Good to hear you're keeping busy though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Near the lake?

Yeah that's why we bought a house. Home prices are insanely low here compared to everywhere else in the country. If you stay in that area Montgomery is pretty nice.

I think so?

Specifically I'm near the intersection of 105 and Loop 336 West.

The lake is about a 5-10 drive down 105 to the west.

I like Conroe because its a whole lot cheaper than the Woodlands and has less traffic. Plus most of the heavy traffic on I-45 during the commute home is gone once you get past Spring so its not like the extra 5 minute drive past the Woodlands is really a deal breaker once you've spent an hour or so in bumper to bumper traffic already.

Narag

Went through a divorce.

Sorry to hear that, man.

Looking through some teams schedules in 2014. Saints are really lucky. They out of conference home games are Green Bay, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and an NFC West team, while their road schedule is Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and an NFC East team.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
kave, they will go QB early. You've seen what Weeden does to the whole team. They need a fresh start and it's not Hoyer. Don't tread water when they already have an elite WR and LT in place. No better time to get the QB of the future. Look to BlackGhost

BG is a false prophet, it is known.

He clamored for JCamp who fooled us all with 2 games above his norm then reverted back to the emperor of checkdowns.

But all I'm saying is I don't think they are going to reach for a QB ala in the same way the old regime did with old man Weeden.

squicken

BG is a false prophet, it is known.

He clamored for JCamp who fooled us all with 2 games above his norm then reverted back to the emperor of checkdowns.

But all I'm saying is I don't think they are going to reach for a QB ala in the same way the old regime did with old man Weeden.

Now this I agree with. People say "get another QB!" That's how you end up with Ponder and Weeden. You find a guy you want and you go get him. If CLE likes Carr or JFF then they may just have to move up a little to get the guy they want. Doubt it will be JFF, though. Need a bigger arm in that cold

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Looking through some teams schedules in 2014. Saints are really lucky. They out of conference home games are Green Bay, Minnesota, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and an NFC West team, while their road schedule is Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and an NFC East team.

I just had a look at next season's games for the Browns and looks like we'll have one fun one with the return of Trent Truck.

For NeoGAF rivalries:

Looks like the annual Shit bowl against the Bills will be on.

And even more delicious home game against the Texans. Mech is gonna be humbled.

And of course a game against the Saiints, watch was Browns-GAF and cajun fight over being too nice and complimentary about each other's teams.

Top Bottom