• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

Syrinx

jKZbGa8F006ZX.png

:jnc

But I quite like this game, let's keep it going. Four playoff quarterbacks, who would you rather have?

QB A
42 total TD's
63.2 %
16 INT
7.6 Y/A
92.4 QB rating

QB B
53 total TD's
64.5 %
16 INT
8.3 Y/A
103.7 QB rating

QB C
47 total TD's
55.7 %
26 INT
6.9 Y/A
78.8 QB rating

QB D
74 total TD's
60.6 %
45 INT
6.9 Y/A
84.3 QB rating

And for bonus
QB E
87 total TD's
59.6 %
40 INT
7.7 Y/A
86.1 QB rating

But I quite like this game, let's keep it going. Four playoff quarterbacks, who would you rather have?

QB A
42 total TD's
63.2 %
16 INT
7.6 Y/A
92.4 QB rating

QB B
53 total TD's
64.5 %
16 INT
8.3 Y/A
103.7 QB rating

QB C
47 total TD's
55.7 %
26 INT
6.9 Y/A
78.8 QB rating

QB D
74 total TD's
60.6 %
45 INT
6.9 Y/A
84.3 QB rating

And for bonus
QB E
87 total TD's
59.6 %
40 INT
7.7 Y/A
86.1 QB rating

The one that's Romo.

squicken

Marcus Mariota is staying at Oregon next year, so it's pretty much a lock for Teddy Bridgewater to go #1, whether that is to Houston or Jacksonville. The biggest competition for him would seem to be Derek Carr, but I can't envision the Texans drafting another Carr #1 overall even if he's worthy of the selection over Bridgewater.

I figured Marriota would stay in, and expect Hundley to as well. Bummer is it slides all the good non-QBs up, and is one less player for someone to fall in love with at the top of the draft

One of these QBs has small hands and GAF says he sucks. The other is a future superstar and the franchise QB for his organization:

QB A:
92 games (47-39-1 record)
59.3% completion
17,016 yards
6.5 yards/att
97 TD, 69 INT
79.9 QB rating

QB B:
28 games (13-15 record)
60.11% completion
6,409 yards
6.85 yards/att
29 TD, 26 INT
79.5 QB rating

Statistically, they are nearly identical. I'll take the guy who wins more (even taking over a 2-14 team) and has a much better TD-to-interception ratio.

Tannehill's ceiling is Alex Smith with a turnover problem.
Hmm, I thought we were talking about Tannehill but you said future superstar. That's confusing. Tannehill right now is a guy who has shown inconsistent flashes but needs to keep improving in order to be a long term answer.

Quite frankly the only thing I take away from your comment is that you are incapable of evaluating a QB beyond basic stats. I also think it's interesting that you assume a second year QB who is a converted WR and is playing behind a near invisible o-line has reached his ceiling. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't, there are far too many variables to say for sure either way.

It's just such a strange comparison. Tannehill's strengths and playstyle vary wildly from Alex Smith's.

jakncoke

Banned
Marcus Mariota is staying at Oregon next year, so it's pretty much a lock for Teddy Bridgewater to go #1, whether that is to Houston or Jacksonville. The biggest competition for him would seem to be Derek Carr, but I can't envision the Texans drafting another Carr #1 overall even if he's worthy of the selection over Bridgewater.

That'd be great

jakncoke

Banned
Man in the year the Ravens gave up 165 pts, The titans gave up 191. I feel as if no one ever speaks of this ever. Pretty impressive. And wow 7 pts less than the 1985 Bears even.

Hmm, I thought we were talking about Tannehill but you said future superstar. That's confusing. Tannehill right now is a guy who has shown inconsistent flashes but needs to keep improving in order to be a long term answer.

Quite frankly the only thing I take away from your comment is that you are incapable of evaluating a QB beyond basic stats. I also think it's interesting that you assume a second year QB who is a converted WR and is playing behind a near invisible o-line has reached his ceiling. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't, there are far too many variables to say for sure either way.

It's just such a strange comparison. Tannehill's strengths and playstyle vary wildly from Alex Smith's.

And all this worry about Tannehills deep throws seems overblown and not all on tannehill

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What WRs will be on the board for the Jets? I wish they'd take Manziel but I don't think he'll even last to 15 or wherever we end up and I don't see the Jets admitting defeat on Geno yet.

Guess I should embrace my Mike Evans future.

According to the NYT, NFL coaches are bitches

That’s where NYT 4th Down Bot comes in. It evaluates whether an N.F.L. team should punt, attempt a field goal or go for it on fourth down, in any situation. To make its decision, NYT 4th Down Bot uses a model developed by Brian Burke, founder of AdvancedNFLStats.com. According to the model (and thus, according to NYT 4th Down Bot), coaches are much more conservative than they should be.

NYT 4th Down Bot works on the premise that for most of the game, a coach should be trying to maximize the point spread between his team and his opponent – that is, scoring as many points as possible while suppressing his opponent’s opportunities for points. Later in the game, other factors come into play (more details on that below), but when the score is reasonably close in the first three quarters and early in the fourth, point maximization is the name of the game.

Here is a comparison of how a coach who truly maximizes points would behave on any fourth down anywhere on the field. On the right, the same chart showing how coaches have actually behaved since 2002.

original.png

Time for Riverboat Ron to show em how its done.

jakncoke

Banned
What WRs will be on the board for the Jets? I wish they'd take Manziel but I don't think he'll even last to 15 or wherever we end up and I don't see the Jets admitting defeat on Geno yet.

Allen Robinson better not be drafted by the Jest he deserves a decent qb which you people are allergic from

Alex Smith with a turnover problem would be irredeemably terrible. Small Hands' whole game is that he's able to take care of the ball and won't lose you a game with turnovers.

And yet we lost our last game with two costly interceptions in the end zone. Hmmm.

What are Tannehill's strengths? For real, though?

The point is they are both subpar. But one gets discussed on here as being terrible and the other gets mentioned by Miami fans as the future of the franchise. Nope.

Pro-tip: They both suck.

Yep. Unless something drastic happens, Tannehill's ceiling is Alex Smith with a turnover problem.

Analytical Ron is the future!

It's crazy how much shit changes in a year. Panthers fans wanted his head in the offseason and now he can hold the organization hostage while he negotiates a contract extension.

Not even a year. We were ready to run him out of town after the Cardinals game.

Had people (most notably Rodney Harrison) calling for Cam to be benched.

Had people calling for Steve Smith to be traded

That was exactly eight weeks ago. Look at the Panthers now.

Man in the year the Ravens gave up 165 pts, The titans gave up 191. I feel as if no one ever speaks of this ever. Pretty impressive. And wow 7 pts less than the 1985 Bears even.

They gave up 26 more points than Baltimore, lost to us in the playoffs, and didnt win the Superbowl, so.......fuck em. Lets not talk about them.

Holy hell that Walking Dead

Good, not great. My friends are acting like it's the darkest thing since The Shield's series finale, which I'm like YEAH UH HUH.
Governor/Prison shit should've gotten wrapped up last season, these first eight episodes were AMC wringing more use out of the prison set and Gimple getting a chance to fix Season Three's many fuckups.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Richard Sherman once told me that Baldwin could be like Steve Smith if he was given the chance to play outside instead of being pigeon-holed in the slot. That seemed like a stretch at the time. It may not be.
- Brian Nemhauser
Not missing Sydney Rice at all.

LJ11

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Rang and Brugler have Amaro going to Pittsburgh and GB, respectively. I know both teams are looking for a TE. He looks special

The pinhead who does the BleacherReport stuff, I call him a pinhead because of his mug shot in Madden, had Amaro in the 20s. I was like wtf?

I hope for my sanity he wouldn't get by the Bills, especially since none of their TEs will have contracts going into 2014. They need WR/RT/G/TE/DT and another LB to pair with Kiko. Hughes has been able to rush consistently this season, but it would be nice to have another piece you can move around to get after the pass rusher. Evans/Watkins/Amaro or a pass rusher, only guys worth taking in the top 10 if I'm Bills GM (they won't take a QB)

Mosley's a nice player, but I'm not seeing what others see, the ones that rave about him anyway.

Bowser

Mosley's a nice player, but I'm not seeing what others see, the ones that rave about him anyway.

Honestly, what Saban-era Bama defensive player is worth a first round pick? Dareus has played relatively well, but besides that, I can't think of another...

Farooq

Banned

QB A
42 total TD's
63.2 %
16 INT
7.6 Y/A
92.4 QB rating

QB B
53 total TD's
64.5 %
16 INT
8.3 Y/A
103.7 QB rating

QB C
47 total TD's
55.7 %
26 INT
6.9 Y/A
78.8 QB rating

QB D
74 total TD's
60.6 %
45 INT
6.9 Y/A
84.3 QB rating

And for bonus
QB E
87 total TD's
59.6 %
40 INT
7.7 Y/A
86.1 QB rating

Just name the QB's so when can use our own biases and stereotype against them.

Please don't let any of them be Romo.

squicken

Seeing Sammy Watkins as top 5, Evans as top 10, and Jace Amaro (TE) top 20. Long way to go, of course

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was thrown off a bit when Grover put passing and rushing TDs together, but it wasn't hard to spot who I was looking for otherwise.

Talamius

Analytical Ron is the future!

It's crazy how much shit changes in a year. Panthers fans wanted his head in the offseason and now he can hold the organization hostage while he negotiates a contract extension.

If he wins Coach of the Year I may still throw up in my mouth a little.

As far as the chart: Imagine how different the entire game would be if coaches followed it and always went for it on 4th and 1 or less, regardless of field position.

Edit: I disagree with going for it on 4th or 2 everywhere. If you don't have an above average run game that's asking for trouble.

squicken

Who would have ever thought Eric Fisher would go 1st this time last year.

Total outlier year, since even early in process everyone knew there were no obvious/stud skill players or pass rushers. Pretty sure most draftniks could nail down 7 of eventual top 10, with order still TBD

Top Bottom