• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

This after Gronk got his knee blown the fuck up. The win is irrelevant.
Sorry, man. I don't like seeing people get hurt, even when they are members of a corrupt and evil organization such as the Pats.

Trust me, I know that feel. Keller is more or less Gronk and it really sucked when his knee got blown up in the preseason. :(

manfestival

new NFL mandate requires for football players to only hit the hip area and nowhere else

any other zone of the body is considered too dangerous and must be flagged for immediate touchdown

Tom Penny

That's the league now. Keller, Gronk, Cobb I'm sure many others just getting taking out low now. It makes it more miraculous that Tony G barely missed any games ever or that some NFL players have actually missed no games. I'd say its virutally impossible now.

jakncoke

Banned
new NFL mandate requires for football players to only hit the hip area and nowhere else

any other zone of the body is considered too dangerous and must be flagged for immediate touchdown

Then you'll have people out weekly with hip pointers/dislocated hips. Its football. Its a game where these dudes been workout warriors and roiding up since they were 16 and fucking hit each other 1500 times a year at a power rate of a 35 mph accident. You cant avoid these injuries in the current forum of tackle football. Shit happens.

You're as drunk as Mech if you believe that.

You will give us a 1st for Mallet. Or Else.

Y961lKo.jpg

Crisco

Banned
Bad game last night for the Panthers. The inability of the offense to generate big plays really hurt them. Some of that is on Cam missing throws, but the play calling was too conservative at times and the offensive line didn't hold up. The secondary was also exposed, but really that's on the pass rush for being totally ineffective, it's no secret we have pedestrian talent back there. Kudos to the Saints o-line, they were a brick wall last night. Overall it was a humbling experience, which might not be a terrible thing heading into the playoffs. Have to find a way to get more explosive plays out of the offense though.

Narag

That's the league now. Keller, Gronk, Cobb I'm sure many others just getting taking out low now. It makes it more miraculous that Tony G barely missed any games ever or that some NFL players have actually missed no games. I'd say its virutally impossible now.

Wait for those 18 game seasons too.

ShaneB

It sucks but in this NFL the hit TJ Ward administered on Gronk is legal.

I don't condone it but it is what it is.

Sad but true, and I can't help but think it's what I'd prefer. A hit like that and seeing a player in agony, or a player getting hit high and being out cold with damage you can't see.

jakncoke

Banned
When the NFL going to get a legit development league state side? That really could help the talent fall between nfl talent and fringle nfl talent so people signed arent essentially useless for 3 weeks after signed

Talon

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head - whatever the number is it'll quadruple in 5 years.

I remember in the Tebow game Harrison did it to Decker. People freaked out and called it dirty but it's the future of the league.
SI actually did a piece on injuries this season
We counted 27 preseason ACL injuries, the highest tally since records were first kept in 2004. Past preseason counts ranged from 12 (2005, 2006) to 25 (2008), though preseason rosters were also increased from 80 to 90 players in April 2012, putting an additional 320 players in camps.

What about the rest of the season? Though 13 weeks of the regular season, there have been 23 ACL injuries, for a total of 50 so far in 2013. In the past five seasons, the total number of ACL injuries has ranged from 48 (2011) to 56 (2009, 2012), including four additional weeks of the regular season and four weeks of the postseason. If the 2013 regular-season rate of ACL injuries continues, the total would be at about 57 before the playoffs begin; the last three postseasons have resulted in between one and four ACL injuries. Only the final numbers will tell the full story, but the 2013 season could yield the greatest number of ACL injuries in an NFL season on record, even if not the dramatic surge it may have seemed like.

One severe knee injury in particular—the ACL, MCL and PCL tears plus knee dislocation sustained by Dolphins tight end Dustin Keller on a low hit by Texans safety D.J. Swearinger in the preseason—sparked discussion on if the league’s emphasis on policing helmet-to-helmet hits would result in players’ knees being targeted. Of the 50 ACL injuries suffered this season, we were able to find clear video footage or detailed descriptions of how the injury happened for 32 of them, and Keller’s was the only ACL injury in that sample size that occurred because a defender went low on his opponent to make a tackle.

We recorded eight of these 32 ACL injuries resulting from contact: Besides Keller’s, examples included a knee crashed into at the line of scrimmage, or one offensive lineman accidentally cut-blocking his own teammate, as happened with Pittsburgh’s David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey. The other 24 ACL injuries we classified as non-contact injuries. West says that studies show about 70 percent of ACL tears result from non-contact injuries; our unofficial sample, showing 75 percent non-contact injuries, is on par with that figure.
We need about 3-5 seasons before we can say for sure. Of course, not all injuries are created equal.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/04/nfl-injury-increase-2013/?eref=sihp

Milchjon

For those who watched the non-Pats games yesterday, is it worth 12 bucks to be able to rewatch these games this week?

Seems worth it from an entertainment perspective.

squicken

For those who watched the non-Pats games yesterday, is it worth 12 bucks to be able to rewatch these games this week?

If ever there was a week, it would be this one. It was one of the most entertaining days of football I've seen

can't believe we pulled it off too
It was really a statement win for the Dolphins. Back and forth a lot towards the end and they managed to hang in there and get it done, which especially surprised me with the weather conditions. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going.

I would say yes. There were some really insane games yesterday. No one is talking about Miami/Pitt but it was a really good game also.

Bad game last night for the Panthers. The inability of the offense to generate big plays really hurt them. Some of that is on Cam missing throws, but the play calling was too conservative at times and the offensive line didn't hold up. The secondary was also exposed, but really that's on the pass rush for being totally ineffective, it's no secret we have pedestrian talent back there. Kudos to the Saints o-line, they were a brick wall last night. Overall it was a humbling experience, which might not be a terrible thing heading into the playoffs. Have to find a way to get more explosive plays out of the offense though.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I can't lie, that one stung. Being 9-4 and still in the driver's seat for a wild card spot isn't the end of the world but does make things that much harder. But right now, they need to just concentrate on just finishing strong and making the playoffs.

After last night's game is there any doubt that home-field advantage is more important to the Saints than any other team? Seattle has looked like a better road team this season in my opinion. If the Saints get to the SB I think they will lose simply because of the environment.

bionic77

Browns and Vikings and Steelers fucked up what could have been one of the best days of football in a long time. I still don't understand the Ravens and Vikings game. And while the Steelers did not deserve to lose and have some real shit level coaching, I still wanted that TD to count.

Supposedly Gronk fucked up his ACL. I am sure that dumb walking STD would much rather get hit in the head and KOed than have to deal with another year of rehab. And it is always hardest to come back from lower back and knee injuries. You just can't play if your back or legs are not healthy.

Oh well fuck this season. I have to prepare myself for the garbage bowl between the Packers and Ravens and Flacco becoming a fucking legend.

MechDX

After last night's game is there any doubt that home-field advantage is more important to the Saints than any other team? Seattle has looked like a better road team this season in my opinion. If the Saints get to the SB I think they will lose simply because of the environment.

Having a Superbowl in NY in an open air stadium is the dumbest idea ever. I hope it is a freezing, snowy, sleet kind of day

Top Bottom