• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

squicken

"Competitive nature off the charts"?

It worked great for my boy Tebow!

That was the first thing people threw at LZ for making the comment. We'll see. It's going to be a fun debate. He's going to have to change his game. Lots of projecting

Bowser

How is making their team better on gameday justified?

TomlinUMadBroFace.gif

Haven't really seen many Dolphins games recently, have the Dolphins given up on making Wallace a full route runner?
Not really. He actually had his best game running short to medium routes against the Jets, but that's mostly because Cromartie had a bad hip so he was giving him a huge cushion and Milliner sucks.

He's okay on those routes if there is no defender within 5 yards of him, lol.

squicken

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...kes_a_hilarious_shot_at_the_jets_this_morning

Belichick, who coached the Browns from 1991-95, was asked if he still had any affinity for the organization due to his time spent there. After all, it was his first head coaching gig, though it came to a close when the organization moved to Baltimore.

"I was there for five years," Belichick said. "It was five important years in my life, for myself, my family and all that. Obviously, we've all moved on, and I have a job to do here and that's where my loyalty is, is to Robert (Kraft), the Patriots organization and this football team. So it's no different than how I feel, honestly, about the Colts, or the Lions or the Broncos. I feel differently about the Jets. We won't put them in that category.

"Good experiences with all of those teams, and we learned from them, grew as a coach, and as a person and as a family. But we're at a different time and a different place. This is where we are now, so I'll try to make the most out of this one."

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not really. He actually had his best game running short to medium routes against the Jets, but that's mostly because Cromartie had a bad hip so he was giving him a huge cushion and Milliner sucks.

He's okay on those routes if there is no defender within 5 yards of him, lol.

Just wait until you see the 20 yard cushion he gets from Ike Taylor who has two good hips.

Colasante

Alex Tanney and Caleb Hanie are splitting first team reps for the Browns today. Add to that the fact that the Browns' running backs are Chris Ogbonnaya, Willis McGahee, and Fozzy Whitaker, and it's clear the Patriots should be able to run away with this game in a way they were unable to do with the Texans last week. Having Talib and McCourty eliminate Josh Gordon becomes imperative.

Tom Penny

Alex Tanney and Caleb Hanie are splitting first team reps for the Browns today. Add to that the fact that the Browns' running backs are Chris Ogbonnaya, Willis McGahee, and Fozzy Whitaker, and it's clear the Patriots should be able to run away with this game in a way they were unable to do with the Texans last week. Having Talib and McCourty eliminate Josh Gordon becomes imperative.

If I had to pick an over under of 300 yards for Browns QB's this week I'd pick the over.

Dragon

Banned
About five minutes later, Belichick was asked if he has any personal affinity for the Browns organization based on his time as their head coach (1991-95).

"I was there for five years. Those were five important years in my life -- for myself and my family and all that. But obviously, we've all moved on and I have a job to do here, and that's where my loyalty is -- to Robert [Kraft] and the Patriots organization and this football team. It's no different than how I feel, honestly, about the Colts or the Lions, or the Broncos," he said of some of his other coaching stops, before sharpening his tongue.

"I feel differently about the Jets. We won't put them in that category."

:jnc

Dammit squicken you bastard.

squicken

Scouting Mystery Quarterbacks

What's the long-term viability of out-of-nowhere NFL quarterbacks like Case Keenum, Scott Tolzien, Matt McGloin and Brian Hoyer?

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64365140/

Brian Hoyer, Browns

Summary: There's a reason scouts love Hoyer: He looks smooth when throwing the ball, places passes right on his receivers' hands and does all the technical stuff that folks who are into biomechanics simply adore. Those attributes are true, marketable skills. But Hoyer was also born in the same year as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco and has started just four career games, including one in which he threw four passes before getting seriously hurt and another in which he threw three interceptions. Like another well-known Browns prospect, Hoyer is at his peak, so it is silly to talk about him "developing" out of many of his bad habits.

The Browns, it must be pointed out, have an ugly track record of overvaluing players of his type (see: Derek Anderson, Kelly Holcomb, Brandon Weeden). It is not fair to saddle the current Browns administration with the sins of the past, and Hoyer is just good enough to start for a year while an organization grooms a rookie. The Browns just have a decade-plus history of falling in love with the journeyman and short-circuiting the whole grooming process.

Decision: Backup. He would earn a "Maybe" if he was 24.

Trust in BG

Trey

They'd probably put it in Downsview. TTC access, not too far from downtown and parking already there.

Still, I don't think it'll happen any time soon, and the horrid attendance from the last Bills game is just cementing that.

Literally the only reason the attendance is TO is bad is because the Bills suck. If they were a good team, or they played a good team in TO, people would show up.

Also, that field they played on was horrid and a joke and should be fixed immediately.

Here's the Wallace TD. Look at the cushion he gets pre-snap and how open he is when he catches the ball. The only reason he breaks the tackle is because lol Milliner.

wallacejets1beuat.gif

Now look at Wallace when he's actually asked to fight for something in traffic (I know this is obvious to Steelers fans but whatever). Tannehill gets lit up on the blitz so the ball comes out really awkwardly:

wallacejets2s4un3.gif

What kind of effort is that? Pathetic.

So basically he's good at running in a straight line or running slants/curls/short out routes when the D is extremely worried about him running in a straight line and isn't trying to jam him. So you take a guy like Joe Haden who will stick with him and add some over the top help from a safety and suddenly he is not a factor at all.

xnipx

Here's the Wallace TD. Look at the cushion he gets pre-snap and how open he is when he catches the ball. The only reason he breaks the tackle is because lol Milliner.

wallacejets1beuat.gif

Now look at Wallace when he's actually asked to fight for something in traffic (I know this is obvious to Steelers fans but whatever). Tannehill gets lit up on the blitz so the ball comes out really awkwardly:

wallacejets2s4un3.gif

So basically he's good at running in a straight line or running slants/curls/short out routes when the D is extremely worried about him running in a straight line and isn't trying to jam him. So you take a guy like Joe Haden who will stick with him and add some over the top help from a safety and suddenly he is not a factor at all.

Joe Haden doesn't need safety help. But spot on evaluation of Wallace.

Wtf did the jets see in Milner?

Fox318

Dude has the body. He is quick as hell, he just needs to be better at the metal side of the game.

I think he is going to at least get better. he is the only guy teams are targeting and Rex is playing him man most of the time.

I'd say you're right the majority of the time but didn't Wallace burn him a few times when he was with the Steelers? The thing is if you have a QB that can throw an accurate deep ball and extend plays for awhile (aka Roethlisberger) you can hit Wallace on a bomb occasionally no matter who is covering him. The dude is fast.

wallacejets1beuat.gif

wallacejets2s4un3.gif

This type of stuff is why I asked if the Dolphins have given up on him running a full route tree.

I disagree with you - I think they have. They keep Wallace on the right, not diversifying his looks, and last I say while on the right he only runs flys, slants, and digs, basically what he was doing in Pittsburgh.

I'd say you're right the majority of the time but didn't Wallace burn him a few times when he was with the Steelers? The thing is if you have a QB that can throw an accurate deep ball and extend plays for awhile (aka Roethlisberger) you can hit Wallace on a bomb occasionally no matter who is covering him. The dude is fast.

Ben's deep ball sucks now. Last few seasons he's been severely underthrowing receivers - in fact the 41 yard TD to Brown against Joe Haden a few weeks ago was a perfect example. Difference is Brown fought for the pass and hauled it in.

edit: here.

BNYPQLt.gif

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6h
Zach Mettenberger tore his ACL and Marcus Mariota is going back to school and 2014 potential QB class no longer looks as good. But 2015 wow.

Texans suck for #1 pick........Everyone stays in school.

There is a meme here.....

This type of stuff is why I asked if the Dolphins have given up on him running a full route tree.

I disagree with you - I think they have. They keep Wallace on the right, not diversifying his looks, and last I say while on the right he only runs flys, slants, and digs, basically what he was doing in Pittsburgh.
Most Pitt fans always joke about Wallace only being able to run in a straight line so I assumed you were just asking if he did anything other than that. Are you talking about deep crossing routes, fades, posts --- that type of thing? He just doesn't have the body for it (or the desire to put in effort when he knows a hit is coming). I don't think the Dolphins ever tried to use him that way.

As far as him lining up on the right I think that's mostly a Philbin/Sherman thing. For some reason that's just how they use their WR's, regardless of personnel it seems. I will say that I recall Wallace lining up on the left from time to time lately though, so I think they're trying to mix that up a little more than earlier in the season.

Kind of unrelated but did Pitt ever run WR screens to Wallace? The Dolphins seem to try that at least once every game ever since the Colts game.

Ben's deep ball sucks now. Last few seasons he's been severely underthrowing receivers - in fact the 41 yard TD to Brown against Joe Haden a few weeks ago was a perfect example. Severely underthrown. Difference is Brown fought for the pass and hauled it in.
Fine, Wallace-era Ben, haha.

Also, Mayhew made a killing in picking up rookie offensive linemen this year, according to PFF. More specifically, the entire right side of the line.

First year in ages that I remember multiple draft picks (including rookie FA signings) contributing. Warford looks like a Pro Bowler, Waddle has played well, Ansah looks solid, Devin Taylor looks like a good late round pick. Slay played well on Thanksgiving but then again I probably could have shut down Packers receivers too, given how much Flynn was getting destroyed. I need to see more from him. He was actually looking for the ball on Thursday, which is a first.

MechDX

Hey Mech-Watt on one side, Barr on the other side..Nice looking D if they choose to.

So many ways to go. First we need Kubiak firing confirmed then know which way they go. Doesn't Ray Horton run a 4-3? Just a name I have read mentioned for Texans HC

Can anyone give me a summary of what happened with Tomlin? I've been completely wrapped up in work the past two weeks (going for a promotion) and I haven't been following much news.

exarkun

Scouting Mystery Quarterbacks

What's the long-term viability of out-of-nowhere NFL quarterbacks like Case Keenum, Scott Tolzien, Matt McGloin and Brian Hoyer?

Trust in BG

Woot! Of all the quarterbacks in that article, Keenum is the only one that got a "maybe a starter." I'll fucking take that, since we started the corpse of a former starter for more than half the current season!

If Im the Texans, I want Winston more than Bridgewater (he'll beat the charges).

Edit: That tweet made it sound like Mettenberger's injury contributes to the 2015 class being a "wow." lol, he sucks.

Most Pitt fans always joke about Wallace only being able to run in a straight line so I assumed you were just asking if he did anything other than that. Are you talking about deep crossing routes, fades, posts --- that type of thing? He just doesn't have the body for it (or the desire to put in effort when he knows a hit is coming). I don't think the Dolphins ever tried to use him that way.

As far as him lining up on the right I think that's mostly a Philbin/Sherman thing. For some reason that's just how they use their WR's, regardless of personnel it seems. I will say that I recall Wallace lining up on the left from time to time lately though, so I think they're trying to mix that up a little more than earlier in the season.

Kind of unrelated but did Pitt ever run WR screens to Wallace? The Dolphins seem to try that at least once every game ever since the Colts game.

Fine, Wallace-era Ben, haha.

I was being literal about Wallace's Pitt Route tree. Fly, slant, dig, and yeah the WR screen and reverse - that was all Wallace was doing. Had to have him clean to get good production from him. When Haley came in he tried to open Wallace up to more routes but he didn't take well to it - anything over the middle was a guaranteed drop for example. Couple that with Ben's arm strength decreasing and Wallace was on the outs.

Wallace was at his best under Arians - dude knew his flaws and designed plays to exploit that blistering speed. If/when the Dolphins decide to give up on the other stuff like the Steelers did Wallace could be just as dangerous as he was under Arians imo.

I was being literal about Wallace's Pitt Route tree. Fly, slant, dig, and yeah the WR screen and reverse - that was all Wallace was doing. Had to have him clean to get good production from him. When Haley came in he tried to open Wallace up to more routes but he didn't take well to it - anything over the middle was a guaranteed drop for example. Couple that with Ben's arm strength decreasing and Wallace was on the outs.

Wallace was at his best under Arians - dude knew his flaws and designed plays to exploit that blistering speed. If/when the Dolphins decide to give up on the other stuff like the Steelers did Wallace could be just as dangerous as he was under Arians imo.
The biggest thing holding Wallace's production back right now is Tannehill underthrowing deep balls and bad o-line play that doesn't allow long pass plays time to develop. Sherman has been sending him on fly routes very often. If Tannehill gets to the point where he has some chemistry with Wallace in terms of timing he will turn into a valuable weapon. Maybe not $60 mil. valuable but it is what it is.

Top Bottom