• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

Afrikan

Ted Ginn trolling Troy is amazing.

he was trying to help him out....and it got to a point where Dingleberry said something so stupid that Ginn turned to him like "WTF would say that?"

shit was pathetic during those Nolan/Sing years.

Fucking Nolan choosing Alex over Rodgers because Aaron wouldn't hop on one foot for Nolan? FUCKING INSECURE IDIOT!
cursin.gif

squicken

h

Fucking Nolan choosing Alex over Rodgers because Aaron wouldn't hop on one foot for Nolan? FUCKING INSECURE IDIOT! http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/images/smileys/cursin.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

wut?

[quote="LJ11, post: 92464540"]Or when you put guys in the right match up.

Was thinking about this the other day, Vereen's return was talked about a lot, guessing mostly because of FF, bu can you imagine a Harvin or Austin on that team? They put guys in the right spot. Look at Danny Woodhead, got serious mileage out of him. He's not some shit player, but he's no Harvin/Austin etc.

Really use their players effectively, look to exploit weakness. I know this sounds like nonsense or no-brainers but when you look at what some teams do in this league....[/QUOTE]

It's telling how far Amendola has slid down the hierarchy there with the return of Gronk and Vereen. As far as Tavon, at this point, he is just not a good WR. I think they use him wrong in trying to have him be a traditional slot WR, but either way, he's not good at it. Drops a lot of balls. Can't catch anything contested, and doesn't run the best routes.

Granted the offense is almost remedial with the ground and pound right now. If Clemens doesn't get his first read he just starts running around. It's funny to see. Pass blocking is actually good this year but he just runs into pressure he gets so flustered

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Rodgers would be out of the league if he'd been drafted by SF. The coaching staff would've forced him into the line up immediately and he would've never fixed his mechanical issues.

pretty sure we'd be 6-6 or 7-5 is Bradford hadn't gotten injured. you hear people talking about how "lol Rams are better without Bradford / offense hasn't missed a beat" then in the games where Clemens actually has to complete more than 10 passes to win and we lose.

I'm sure some mock draft guy will have us drafting a QB (or Jake Matthews because they're lazy and don't actually pay attention to the Rams) to be all controversial and different to get hits. I don't see the point in risking it on a QB when we have other needs and shit WRs that wouldn't help him.

would be funny if we get another RG3 situation where people start ask if we made the right choice in sticking with Bradford and then said draftable QB ends up playing like garbage.

pretty sure we'd be 6-6 or 7-5 is Bradford hadn't gotten injured. you hear people talking about how "lol Rams are better without Bradford / offense hasn't missed a beat" then in the games where Clemens actually has to complete more than 10 passes to win and we lose.

I'm sure some mock draft guy will have us drafting a QB (or Jake Matthews because they're lazy and don't actually pay attention to the Rams) to be all controversial and different to get hits. I don't see the point in risking it on a QB when we have other needs and shit WRs that wouldn't help him.

would be funny if we get another RG3 situation where people start ask if we made the right choice in sticking with Bradford and then said draftable QB ends up playing like garbage.

While I'm confident the Rams can put together better seasons and potentially a wild card playoff berth in the next couple years, unfortunately I think we have already lost. With all the early round talent we will have on our team after this year, it will be impossible to retain them all once their rookie contracts are up, especially with all the guaranteed money we have tied up in mediocre talent. We have a ton of money tied up in players that we have been told continually are good, when they are really just mediocre. Cook, Long, Laurinaitis. None of these guys will ever make a probowl and wouldn't even be starters on the best teams in the league, yet have a ton of guaranteed money coming to them. With these factors I see our window as the next two years to do anything before contracts start expiring on players we won't be able to retain. I still maintain that Bradford is "good enough" in the same sense that Flacco and Eli are good enough with the right people around them, but with the Hawks and Niners and Cardinals I just don't see a scenario outside of a lucky wild card one and done berth if we get a weak schedule one year. You can talk about how there is more than just championships, but that's what we are all here for, and in that sense, I feel like this Rams regime has already lost. I'm no lifelong. I'll be here taking my licks even if we go 0-16 and I'll be talking about how Bradford just needs better receivers and better line play and better playcalling. And ill watch all the games and keep my picture of Sam framed on my wall. But I just don't see it happening

gutshot

All these QBs dropping out of the 2014 draft class is the best thing to happen to the Eagles. That means that Nick Foles will have a full season to prove whether he can be a Super Bowl-level QB. And we can go defense in the top part of the draft this off-season. I'd like to see them go S, CB and OLB in the first 3 rounds (although not necessarily in that order). Sign Eric Decker as your #2 wideout and if Howie can make a couple more solid but not splashy free agent signings (a la Barwin or Fletcher) we may have the makings of a legit Super Bowl contender.

And if Foles falls flat on his face next season? Draft Mariota and you immediately put yourself back into contention in 2015.

Syrinx

All these QBs dropping out of the 2014 draft class is the best thing to happen to the Eagles. That means that Nick Foles will have a full season to prove whether he can be a Super Bowl-level QB. And we can go defense in the top part of the draft this off-season. I'd like to see them go S, CB and OLB in the first 3 rounds (although not necessarily in that order). Sign Eric Decker as your #2 wideout and if Howie can make a couple other solid but not splashy free agent signings (a la Barwin or Fletcher) we may have the makings of a legit Super Bowl contender.

And if Foles falls flat on his face next season? Draft Mariota and you immediately put yourself back into contention in 2015.

With how good Foles has looked, I doubt they would have drafted a QB with any sort of high pick in the coming draft anyway.

squicken

W But I just don't see it happening

p

Rookie would inherit the same stuff. Only way they upgrade the position and keep the same WRs is if they find a QB who can run around and extend plays. I've never seen a team so desperately in need of a WR/TE who can catch a contested ball. If a receiver goes to the ground, he drops it. Hit in the back, he drops it.

Givens has stalled and is probably just a poor man's Mike Wallace. Cook is the Antonio Cromartie of tight ends. Quick is incredibly inconsistent. They want to move on from Bradford or keep him, they have to find that sustaining WR, though I have some hope for Bailey

Agree with B about the division. The Rams should have been so well positioned to make a move off that trade, but totally squandered the haul. Also awful moves in FA and extensions. How does Lauranitis get more than Willis and Bowman COMBINED!?

Last year the Rams played 11 top 10 defenses, this year will be about the same. Can't screw up on so many offensive draft picks and expect to win against that

gutshot

With how good Foles has looked, I doubt they would have drafted a QB with any sort of high pick in the coming draft anyway.

I don't think they would have either. But the potential would have existed for the nightmare scenario where we roll with Foles and he completely crashes and burns next year, while Mariota goes to Houston or wherever and looks like an elite QB. Everyone in Philly would have been second-guessing the Eagles for not selling high on Foles and going after Chip's perfect QB when they had the chance.

Now we don't have to worry about that, since there really isn't a QB in the 2014 class that is a perfect fit for Chip's system.

zychi

Banned
I need fantasy football advice NFLbros! Start alshon or bmarsh? Championship game on the line

Smart play is wait if cutler is back, bmarsh will get more touches, but if mccown is qb, i dunno what to do

I need fantasy football advice NFLbros! Start alshon or bmarsh? Championship game on the line

Smart play is wait if cutler is back, bmarsh will get more touches, but if mccown is qb, i dunno what to do

How are you not starting both? Both are probably top 10 plays.

Trasher

Hmmm compared to his replacements....

Miller, Lamar YDS 547 rushing, 700 all purpose

Thomas, Daniel YDS 279 rushing 333 all purpose

so total 826/1033

You are putting up two players against one?

Joique and Reggie have like over 2100 all purpose yards combined if you wanna go that route.

You are putting up two players against one?

Joique and Reggie have like over 2100 all purpose yards combined if you wanna go that route.

I'm trying to point out how reggie alone does what miller and thomas have done, not that it matters all that much considering this coaching staff didn't know how to use him, but why get rid of a player like that, especially when he loved being here, wanted to stay and could have been have for cheap all things considered. I just hate this damn front office/coaching staff.

squicken

Finishing up this Jets book, and holy fuck, is Santonio Holmes one of the biggest pricks ever. The author was on the sidelines when Holmes was kicked out of the huddle in that Miami game. Like 90% of the drama on that team seemed directy or indirectly related to Holmes

Also, Schottenheimer is clearly a moron and I'm pretty sure the Rams are screwed. The 60 pass game vs the Giants (where Cruz had the 99 yard TD) should have made him un-hirable

Trasher

I'm trying to point out how reggie alone does what miller and thomas have done, not that it matters all that much considering this coaching staff didn't know how to use him, but why get rid of a player like that, especially when he loved being here, wanted to stay and could have been have for cheap all things considered. I just hate this damn front office/coaching staff.

Ah okay.

Was Reggie picked up under Philbin's coaching reign? Or after?

Ah okay.

Was Reggie picked up under Philbin's coaching reign? Or after?

Before, Sporano brought him in to turn him into a between the tackles runner and honestly he didn't do so bad, he had his first 1000 yard rushing season that year, but behind this shitty oline that wasn't going to happen yet I have no trust in the coaching staff to figure out ways to get him the ball in open space, they can't do it with wallace and they paid him 60 million, bush would have rotted on our bench,

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kaepernick-and-wilson-their-words

What impresses you most about Seattle’s defense?
Kaepernick: "Very physical. Very fast.”

What impresses you most about San Francisco’s defense? ?
Wilson: "How physical they are, how fast they fly around on the football field, and how sound they are. They don’t miss many tackles. They make the right play. They’re always near the ball. And, so, it’s pretty impressive.”

What do you like most about how your team is playing?
Kaepernick: "We’re executing. When we have the opportunity, we’re making plays.”
Wilson: "The thing is, we’re staying on schedule. On the offensive side of the ball, we’re staying on schedule. We’re keeping it third and shorts. We’re making plays in the red zone. Guys are really capitalizing. Guys have really stepped up. Our offensive line is back, which is really nice to have. We played, like, four or five games without our left tackle, our Pro Bowl left tackle, our Pro Bowl center, and our right tackle. And we were able to be successful in those games, still. The big thing about us is our defense is playing really strong, too. When the whole team is making plays and doing the right things at the right time, that gives us a chance to win.”

Aside from helping your team or trying to help your team win games on the field, what’s the most important part of your job as a quarterback?
Kaepernick: "I think the biggest thing is keeping everyone motivated, keeping them focused on what we need to be doing.”
Wilson: "I think the most important thing . . . there are several things. I think to be a great quarterback, you have to have great leadership. You have to have great attention to detail. You have to have relentless competitive nature. Those are three things, I’d say, you have to have. Then, another thing is, can I make the other 10 guys in the huddle better? No matter what the play is, no matter what the situation is, can I make them believe and can I help them play at their best and facilitate the ball to the right guy at the right time. And that’s what it really comes down to. There are a lot more things that are involved, but that’s what I basically comes down to.”
Pretty amusing contrast here.

squicken

Russell's a cool and very smart dude, but I don't really have any issues with Kaepernick keeping it concise there.

$20m/yr QBs answer questions like Russell. Listen to Brady/Rodgers/Brees answer a question. They are expansive and say nothing. Kaep is missing something. What kind of QB favorites Twitter criticism as motivation? Dumbest fucking thing. Dude is too sensitive for the position

I hope they give him Flacco's contract

e: more on Brady w/o Gronk

From a statistical standpoint, Tom Brady was Aaron Rodgers when Rob Gronkowski was on the field last season and Andy Dalton when the All-Pro tight end was sidelined.

According to numbers compiled by NFL.com, Brady posted a 65.7 completion percentage, a 23-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 106.6 passer rating with 7.9 yards per attempt on snaps with Gronkowski on the field. Those numbers plummeted to a 58.9 completion percentage, an 11-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio and an 87.1 passer rating with 7.1 yards per attempt on snaps without Gronkowski.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...rady-patriots-in-trouble-minus-rob-gronkowski

Messed around with the playoff machine on ESPN and found out I suck at math. Beating the 49er's would be huge. We're garenteed at the minimum the 2 seed, and Carolina or New Orelans would need to go 4-0 to pass us even if we lose the last 3. Also if Carolina and New Orelans split each other and win their other 3 games, Saints have the tiebreaker.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20131204/sports/131209816

Grant Cohn: Russell Wilson's progress at quaterback puts him way ahead of Colin Kaepernick

SANTA CLARA —You have to admit, Russell Wilson looked like a miniature combination of Joe Montana and Steve Young Monday night against the Saints — Montana's cool demeanor and precision from the pocket, Young's explosive ability to make plays on the run. Wilson has been that Montana-Young combo most of this season, his second in the league.

Kaepernick's combo this season hasn't been nearly as good. Sure, sometimes he looks like Brett Favre. But, other times he looks like a guy doing a bad impression of Alex Smith — the sacks, the inability to convert third downs at a respectable rate, the not throwing to receivers who are open, plus a bunch of delay of game penalties and fumbled snaps sprinkled in here and there. Call those Kaepernick Specials.

Last season, Kaepernick seemed better than Wilson — Kaepernick went to the Super Bowl and Wilson didn't. But this season, it is not close. Wilson is way better.

Here are five reasons why:

1. Accuracy. Wilson has improved in this area and Kaepernick has regressed. This season, Kaepernick is completing 57.8 percent of his passes — stink-o-rama. Wilson is completing 64.9 percent of his passes — great-o-rama. When Montana was Wilson's age, Montana completed 63.7 percent of his passes. Try to get your head around that one.

2. Elusiveness. This really isn't Kaepernick's strength. He's fast when he gets his long stride turning, but he's not elusive in the open field or in the pocket. Elusiveness always has been one of Wilson's best traits. He runs circles around defenders, like Young used to do, and he sure runs circles around Kaepernick.

3. Improvisation. Another trait Wilson shares with Young. When Young was scrambling, he always knew when to pass, when to run and when to pump fake. These things were like breathing for him, and they're like breathing for Wilson. This season, Kaepernick has not been a good improviser. He's been mechanical, like Alex Smith.

On Wednesday, Jim Harbaugh gushed to the Bay Area media about Wilson's ability to improvise: “(He has) that feel that only so many quarterbacks have had that have ever played the game — to extend plays.”

“Does Kaepernick share that ability?” a reporter asked Harbaugh.

Harbaugh paused and said, “I think they're both very talented quarterbacks.” He could have said, “Yes, Colin shares the ability to improvise.” But he didn't. Harbaugh didn't give Kaepernick praise he doesn't deserve. Finally, Harbaugh added, “They both throw really well from the pocket, too.”

4. Passing from the pocket. Even though Wilson is a peanut and Kaepernick is a giant, Wilson is a better pocket passer. On Monday Night when the Seahawks scored 27 points in the first half against the Saints, Wilson completed 10 of 13 passes from the pocket — 77 percent. Wilson sees the whole field and goes through more reads during his passing progressions than Kaepernick who tends to stare at his first read like someone lip-reading a menu and, if the first read isn't open, Kaepernick just runs.

5. Composure and preparedness. This is where Wilson has separated himself from Kaepernick the most. Wilson already carries himself like Peyton Manning. Wilson understands NFL defenses, understands situational football and understands how to act like the face of a franchise. Kaepernick forgets how many timeouts he has and runs out of bounds when he has to stay in bounds — boneheaded stuff. Kaepernick rejects being the face of the franchise. Look at any of his press conferences.

And ever since Kaepernick's last three plays of the Super Bowl when he failed at the goal line, he has failed under pressure. This season, he has lost to every team he's faced likely to be in the playoffs, and in fourth quarters his QB rating is 51. When he's behind, his QB rating is 58. Compare that to Wilson, whose fourth-quarter QB rating is 93 and whose QB rating while losing is 94. Like Montana, Wilson is cool under pressure. But Kaepernick is unsure of himself when things don't go his way or things get tight.

BONUS REASON: Scheme, the thing the 49ers hate talking about.

The Seahawks' offensive scheme perfectly fits Wilson's skill-set. Their offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell, has done a fabulous job orchestrating packages of plays for Wilson — read-option runs, play-action passes, quick passes, rollout passes and deep passes.

The 49ers' offensive scheme does not fit Kaepernick's talents, it fits Alex Smith's talents — choose the best possible play before the snap, manage the game and don't turn the ball over. The Kaepernick Offense was supposed to revolve around the Pistol and read-option, but the 49ers pretty much scrapped all that back in Week 3 because Frank Gore couldn't run out of it. The Niners went back to their 2011 base offense instead of creating something new for Kaepernick.

Maybe scheme is the reason Wilson has become so much better than Kaepernick. Kaepernick is not just any quarterback. He's Harbaugh's personal project, the selected one, and Harbaugh doesn't appear to know how to coach him. If Kaepernick played for the Seahawks and Wilson played for the 49ers, maybe Kaepernick would be the better player right now
Ouch.

Top Bottom