• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 14 |OT| Pure Imagination

Bowser

This Wilson/Cam Newton for MVP push is super weird to me. Manning is playing the best football in the league. I have to think it's a ploy by the media to drum up intrigue for a race that is all but finished. Manning will have to play catastrophically bad, or the other MVP hopefuls will have to play transcendentally well, for Manning to not win. The only dark specter on Manning's resume this season is the New England defeat.

I'm a homer, but even I don't believe Cam should legit be in the MVP discussion. He's played about as well this year as he did last year, but now we have a legit defense to lean on so we're seeing more wins out of it. I think Wilson has a better/more legit shot at dethroning Manning, but yeah, if and when Manning hits 50 TDs, he'll lock up the MVP. He should have won it last year anyway, but it went to AP because people were kind of fatigued with always handing Brady/Manning/Rodgers the MVP award.

bionic77

bionic, your thoughts?
If MVP is the award you get for fucking Bill Cartwright and Kwame Brown in the ass while they take a shower in the locker room then that sounds about right.

If it is the award you get for getting your ass kicked by Steve Kerr then that is too many. As far as I know Kerr kicked his ass on only one occasion.

How many qbs have the Browns drafted since they came back to life? And how many of them were good?

You have the same odds of drafting another good qb as Gata has of moving out of the basement and finding a woman who is sexually attracted to him. And those odds are much better than you finding another franchise qb in the draft.

There are just not many of them. Easier to replace the rest of the team than get another Ben.

On the flip side, how many QB's have spent their later years chasing past glory when their team deteriorates around them? While you have a point that it's difficult to nab a franchise QB, it's also difficult for a QB to win when the team around him is shit. You and I are on opposite sides of the same coin.

bionic77

On the flip side, how many QB's have spent their later years chasing past glory when their team deteriorates around them? While you have a point that it's difficult to nab a franchise QB, it's also difficult for a QB to win when the team around him is shit. You and I are on opposite sides of the same coin.
My point is that it is more difficult to get another franchise qb than it would be to rebuild around Ben. The reason we suck is our front office has made a ton of bad decisions in a row for the past 4 years and our coaches are not good enough to cover up for the lack in talent. Why would getting rid of Ben suddenly make those guys smarter?

Even if we got 2 first round picks I don't think it is fair value for a franchise qb. Other than getting a Football God like Bill Walsh or another franchise qb I can't think of what is an equal return to us if we trade Ben.

squicken

Chuck thinks I just trolling on this, but I subscribe to the Bill Walsh "better a year early than a year late" mantra. Ben has taken a lot of damage over the years. He has only started 16 games once in his career. The team is more than a year away. Consider it a great fortune to get 16 starts from Ben this year (if they can) and sell when his value is highest.

That's adjustable depending on what kind of money he wants in an extension, of course.

Bowser

Phew, glad Winston isn't getting charged. Florida State might not have won the national championship if so!

Obviously I don't know the whole story etc, but this always sounded more to me like the girl's family/friends pushing this thinking they could get something out of it.

Obviously I don't know the whole story etc, but this always sounded more to me like the girl's family/friends pushing this thinking they could get something out of it.

Pretty much. It's no coincidence the story started leaking the minute people started talking Heisman.

My point is that it is more difficult to get another franchise qb than it would be to rebuild around Ben. The reason we suck is our front office has made a ton of bad decisions in a row for the past 4 years and our coaches are not good enough to cover up for the lack in talent. Why would getting rid of Ben suddenly make those guys smarter?

Even if we got 2 first round picks I don't think it is fair value for a franchise qb. Other than getting a Football God like Bill Walsh or another franchise qb I can't think of what is an equal return to us if we trade Ben.

I disagree on the bad decisions front. Colbert's drafting has been no worse than any of the top GM's in the league. The problem is that it's damn hard to keep a team contending when you have fat contracts from previous performers on the roster. Woodley and Worilds is a good example - which to keep? The underpforming 60 million Woodley, or the unpredictable (but cheaper) Worilds? There's only so much money to go around.

To that end, this offseason Ben is going to have to help the Steelers out or his contract will just be too great for them to work around. I said it earlier but getting rid of him is a distinct possibility. Personally I don't think the team around him is trash but if the Steelers do and they think a massive rebuild is necessary, you can bet Ben's name will be on the chopping block.

This isn't a problem unique to the Steelers. Pats, Rats, Giants, all will go through the same thing.

Colasante

I disagree on the bad decisions front. Colbert's drafting has been no worse than any of the top GM's in the league. The problem is that it's damn hard to keep a team contending when you have fat contracts from previous performers on the roster. Woodley and Worilds is a good example - which to keep? The underpforming 60 million Woodley, or the unpredictable (and cheaper) Worilds? There's only so much money to go around.

To that end, this offseason Ben is going to have to help the Steelers out or his contract will just be too great for them to work around. I said it earlier but cutting him is a distinct possibility. Personally I don't think the team around him is trash but if the Steelers do and they think a massive rebuild is necessary, you can bet Ben's name will be on the chopping block.

This isn't a problem unique to the Steelers. Pats, Rats, Giants, all will go through the same thing.

Patriots won't go through that problem. For whatever draft mistakes Belichick has made the past couple of years, he's managed the cap extraordinarily well, besides, obviously, cutting Hernandez immediately and accelerating his $7m worth of bonuses into 2014. Gronk is already signed through 2017, Brady is on his last contract, and the next players up for extensions will be Devin McCourty, Shane Vereen, and Nate Solder, none of whom will break the bank and all of whom are likely to take team-friendly deals. He's also almost never done the "restructure now, feel the effects later" moves that the Steelers are being strangled by.

Crisco

Banned

It's hard to believe that a girl is going to go through the ordeal of a rape kit unless she actually felt something inappropriate happened. Unless she just likes strangers poking and prodding at her nethers. But whatever, looks like a done deal.

On a different note, this would be good for an avatar bet with a Saint's fan,

01c41Gd.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
I wonder how the public will treat Winston. Will they call him rapist for years like Ben or forget about it like Mark Sanchez. Its amusing that OBR and probably the rest of Browns fan are the first to still call Ben a rapist pig but are already fawning over the idea he could be theirs in 2015

Patriots won't go through that problem. For whatever draft mistakes Belichick has made the past couple of years, he's managed the cap extraordinarily well, besides, obviously, cutting Hernandez immediately and accelerating his $7m worth of bonuses into 2014. Gronk is already signed through 2017, Brady is on his last contract, and the next players up for extensions will be Devin McCourty, Shane Vereen, and Nate Solder, none of whom will break the bank and all of whom are likely to take team-friendly deals. He's also almost never done the "restructure now, feel the effects later" moves that the Steelers are being strangled by.

You have a point. Still, that's mostly because the Pats screwed the hell out of Brady for his final contract. I think the same will happen to Ben.

jakncoke

Banned
It wasn't an isolated event for Ben. He did it multiple times!

He was charged 0 times trollface.jpg

Do the Browns punt another year and draft Jameis Winston in 2015?

Do they even have a choice otherwise? I mean, they kinda get in their own way of winning.. I know kave and browns-age going to come in here after this post and be like new group will result in new results. I will believe that when i see it.

Narag

I wonder how the public will treat Winston. Will they call him rapist for years like Ben or forget about it like Mark Sanchez. Its amusing that OBR and probably the rest of Browns fan are the first to still call Ben a rapist pig but are already fawning over the idea he could be theirs in 2015

They'd take Ben if they could given how often he's won in Ohio. He'd be their rapist then and they'd be proud of it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Crap. I forgot to fill out my full picks last week. Now I have no desire to do them any more. And I was winning in the confidence league :(

jakncoke

Banned
They'd take Ben if they could given how often he's won in Ohio. He'd be their rapist then and they'd be proud of it.

Josh Gordon is #2 in yards with Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer, Jason Campbell and whoever throws to him this week. Imagine his stats with Ben

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm a complete masochist. Can't believe I'm actually gonna sit through and watch another Texans shit show tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do the Browns punt another year and draft Jameis Winston in 2015?

But we didn't even punt this year tho. Unless you still think trading Trent Richardson was tanking the season.

Do they even have a choice otherwise? I mean, they kinda get in their own way of winning.. I know kave and browns-age going to come in here after this post and be like new group will result in new results. I will believe that when i see it.

The Browns aren't even close to being the worst team this year let alone next year. So no.

jakncoke

Banned
But we didn't even punt this year tho. Unless you still think trading Trent Richardson was tanking the season.

The Browns aren't even close to being the worst team this year let alone next year. So no.

No guarantee he'll be a #1 overall selection, never know he could be there for one your usual top 10 selections

Colasante

I don't think the Browns intended to tank this season but they definitely pushed their chips into the 2014 draft, by trading several 2013 draft picks into next year and trading Richardson for the 2014 1st. I was mostly joking since this draft is supposed to be fairly deep, but if Lombardi doesn't see a QB he loves in this year's draft, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility he does the same thing again and pushes the chips to 2015.

zychi

Banned
How are you not starting both? Both are probably top 10 plays.
I have josh gordon and torrey smith start in one league, and ty hilton(starting this week) pierre garcon(bench) and torrey smith (starts)in my other league. But i have bmarsh and alshon in both leagues and can only start one

squicken

I don't think the Browns intended to tank this season but they definitely pushed their chips into the 2014 draft, by trading several 2013 draft picks into next year and trading Richardson for the 2014 1st. I was mostly joking since this draft is supposed to be fairly deep, but if Lombardi doesn't see a QB he loves in this year's draft, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility he does the same thing again and pushes the chips to 2015.

The Browns will trade up to get the QB they want. ATL is the perfect team that needs to trade down to get multiple picks that would be willing to drop. Kind of a reverse Julio Jones trade

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I disagree on the bad decisions front. Colbert's drafting has been no worse than any of the top GM's in the league. The problem is that it's damn hard to keep a team contending when you have fat contracts from previous performers on the roster. Woodley and Worilds is a good example - which to keep? The underpforming 60 million Woodley, or the unpredictable (but cheaper) Worilds? There's only so much money to go around.

To that end, this offseason Ben is going to have to help the Steelers out or his contract will just be too great for them to work around. I said it earlier but getting rid of him is a distinct possibility. Personally I don't think the team around him is trash but if the Steelers do and they think a massive rebuild is necessary, you can bet Ben's name will be on the chopping block.

The problem is hanging onto aging and expensive talent versus moving on with new guys. Ike Taylor who's going to eat up $9M next year and be worthless vs keeping Keenan is a prime example. They have been getting rid of some pieces, namely Harrison and Hampton. But the Steelers can't have anymore of this. Ben is going to have to accept a non-Ryan contract to free up money to sign the likes of Worilds or Hood. Not that either of those guys should be particularly expensive.

It's not like the Steelers are going to spend money in free agency, so cutting Ben to save money is ridiculous. Next year, both Ike and Troy will be leaving or taking massive paycuts, leaving $15-20M in space. Heath Miller will probably be gone, also, for another $6-7M. That money will go directly to Cam and Maurkice. It's key to sign the talent that's currently on the team and draft well enough to fill in the open holes.

bionic77

I'd love to have Ben as a bengal.
According to Deacon logic everyone else on the team is awesome and Ben is holding us back.

Even a dumbass like Haley can succeed if he has a competent qb to work with.

But getting back to your point. Fuck off. Dalton is yours forever.

The problem is hanging onto aging and expensive talent versus moving on with new guys. Ike Taylor who's going to eat up $9M next year and be worthless vs keeping Keenan is a prime example. They have been getting rid of some pieces, namely Harrison and Hampton. But the Steelers can't have anymore of this. Ben is going to have to accept a non-Ryan contract to free up money to sign the likes of Worilds or Hood. Not that either of those guys should be particularly expensive.

It's not like the Steelers are going to spend money in free agency, so cutting Ben to save money is ridiculous. Next year, both Ike and Troy will be leaving or taking massive paycuts, leaving $15-20M in space. Heath Miller will probably be gone, also, for another $6-7M. That money will go directly to Cam and Maurkice. It's key to sign the talent that's currently on the team and draft well enough to fill in the open holes.

I think this whole Rappaport thing was the Steelers manipulating Ben with the media. "You 'want to retire a Steeler' huh? Better sign a friendly deal then!"

I don't think the Steelers will cut Ben if they decide to get rid of him, but I think a trade is on the board. Get in high the next draft and be in competition for the QB that will take you to chip #7. No use doing it if that's not possible. Again though, that's why Ben's attitude is so important. Are the Steelers going to re-up with a QB who does nothing but fight any OC they bring in (and if you think he wouldn't do this shit with someone besides Haley you got another thing coming). Steelers need to know if they're going to invest in Ben for the back nine he won't spend it shitting on the decisions they make and turning in mediocre seasons as a result.

According to Deacon logic everyone else on the team is awesome and Ben is holding us back.

Even a dumbass like Haley can succeed if he has a competent qb to work with.

But getting back to your point. Fuck off. Dalton is yours forever.

Deacon also thinks Larry Fitz is good which is ludicrous. I mean he's okay. He's not as good as say, Brandon Gibson, but he's good enough to be the number 1 on the Cardinals

bionic77

I think this whole Rappaport thing was the Steelers manipulating Ben with the media. "You 'want to retire a Steeler' huh? Better sign a friendly deal then!"

I don't think the Steelers will cut Ben if they decide to get rid of him, but I think a trade is on the board. Get in high the next draft and be in competition for the QB that will take you to chip #7. No use doing it if that's not possible. Again though, that's why Ben's attitude is so important. Are the Steelers going to re-up with a QB who does nothing but fight any OC they bring in (and if you think he wouldn't do this shit with someone besides Haley you got another thing coming). Steelers need to know if they're going to invest in Ben for the back nine he won't spend it shitting on the decisions they make and turning in mediocre seasons as a result.
I hope Ben signs for 10 dollars as a Steelers fan so we can waste that money on some shitty players who underperform later from day one.

But seriously you are crazy about this whole Ben thing.

bionic77

Steelers are 5-7. Ben Roethlisberger has played every snap.
Ben has played pretty damn well after the first 3 games.

I would not put the record beyond the slow start on him. I will say that if he played better in those first 3 games we might be at .500 but I don't give a fuck. Our defense has been an embarrassment against any above average qb.

But go ahead and keep on that Ben bandwagon. I will remember this in a few years when we go back to the wilderness and suck worse than the Browns.

Top Bottom