• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

Ed Bouchette was on Sirius radio this morning and said a few interesting things:

Haley came in and acted like an asshole which is why he was so hated, has improved now

Thinks only one between Worilds and Woodley stays, his guess is Woodley goes

Thinks 3 of 4 vets between Troy, Ike, Keisel, and Clark will be gone next year

Says NFL hasn't said anything to the Steelers about losing a draft pick.

Take this as you will, Bouchette is an old man who doesn't have his ear to the ground anymore but he is a mouthpiece for the organization.

Hey Deacon, what do you think of Cameron Heyward? I had never heard of the guy before the game last Sunday but I noticed he was all over the field. He had that one pile-driver tackle on the sideline that was a little questionable and I remember him dragging Thomas down by his jersey a few times as well. The guy seems pretty athletic for someone his size.

Wrayfield

So I kind of hope Incognito never comes back. UDFA rookie Sam Brenner has been filling his role admirably. It's always cool seeing guys take advantage of an opportunity like that.

That ship has sailed. He's never coming back to us, and rightly so. Also, Papa Joe wanted him gone once already, he ain't gonna make the mistake twice. Reminds me, I need a new avatar after he's cut.

Jury's still out on Brenner and the line, and Tanny too (underthrowing ginger is underthrowing). Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ws just as much as any other fan, just not totally sold on the progress... yet.

Ed Bouchette was on Sirius radio this morning and said a few interesting things:

Haley came in and acted like an asshole which is why he was so hated, has improved now

Take this as you will, Bouchette is an old man who doesn't have his ear to the ground anymore but he is a mouthpiece for the organization.
He and Bob McGinn should join a Gil Brandt hosted show so we could get all of the geriatric / NFL news we need all in one great place.

Hey Deacon, what do you think of Cameron Heyward? I had never heard of the guy before the game last Sunday but I noticed he was all over the field. He had that one pile-driver tackle on the sideline that was a little questionable and I remember him dragging Thomas down by his jersey a few times as well. The guy seems pretty athletic for someone his size.

I think really highly of him - he is my avatar.

Dude is a monster - prototypical 3-4 defensive end for Lebeau's scheme. You haven't heard of him because he was stuck behind Brett Keisel his first few seasons in the league. Was finally given the start over Hood this season, has been a wrecking ball ever since. I think Worilds' sudden emergence is in part because of him too.

That ship has sailed. He's never coming back to us, and rightly so. Also, Papa Joe wanted him gone once already, he ain't gonna make the mistake twice. Reminds me, I need a new avatar after he's cut.

Jury's still out on Brenner and the line, and Tanny too (underthrowing ginger is underthrowing). Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ws just as much as any other fan, just not totally sold on the progress... yet.
I'm not saying I'm sold on Brenner as a long term solution for the o-line but for the foreseeable future he makes way more sense than anyone else on the roster. I'd much rather see RT and LT addressed before the guard positions, though.

Tannehill underthrowing deep balls is getting so old. The dude has the arm strength but for whatever reason he just refuses to unleash the dragon Flacco-style. Maybe it just takes awhile to adjust to someone like Wallace after playing an entire season with Brian Hartline being the best deep threat on your roster? Regardless, it's something he needs to show improvement in quickly.

On the positive side, Tannehill's pocket awareness has improved lately. He seems to be reacting more positively to his o-line collapsing now, instead of just standing there and folding like a Brady-esque sack of potatoes he's finding the open crease in the pocket and abandoning ship before it's too late. Obviously you don't want to ruin his internal clock by having pressure in his face too soon all the time but considering the circumstances I'm glad to see him developing that aspect of his game. It's sort of a best-case scenario with how patchwork the o-line is at the moment.

I think really highly of him - he is my avatar.

Dude is a monster - prototypical 3-4 defensive end for Lebeau's scheme. You haven't heard of him because he was stuck behind Brett Keisel his first few seasons in the league. Was finally given the start over Hood this season, has been a wrecking ball ever since. I think Worilds' sudden emergence is in part because of him too.
:jnc

I had no idea!

Wrayfield

I'm not saying I'm sold on Brenner as a long term solution for the o-line but for the foreseeable future he makes way more sense than anyone else on the roster. I'd much rather see RT and LT addressed before the guard positions, though.

Tannehill underthrowing deep balls is getting so old. The dude has the arm strength but for whatever reason he just refuses to unleash the dragon Flacco-style. Maybe it just takes awhile to adjust to someone like Wallace after playing an entire season with Brian Hartline being the best deep threat on your roster? Regardless, it's something he needs to show improvement in quickly.

On the positive side, Tannehill's pocket awareness has improved lately. He seems to be reacting more positively to his o-line collapsing now, instead of just standing there are folding like a Brady-esque sack of potatoes he's finding the open crease in the pocket and abandoning ship before it's too late. Obviously you don't want to ruin his internal clock by having pressure in his face too soon all the time but considering the circumstances I'm glad to see him developing that aspect of his game. It's sort of a best-case scenario with how patchwork the o-line is at the moment.

I had no idea!

Good points. Do you also get the feeling he is holding on to the ball a bit too long. Sometimes I think, gee, it's been 2,5 secs in a tight pocket, with that line, either roll out or throw it away! Anyway, I'm very critical of him, I guess. Really love Clay, he had a 96 rating in Madden, I think. Now I know why :).

Good points. Do you also get the feeling he is holding on to the ball a bit too long. Sometimes I think, gee, it's been 2,5 secs in a tight pocket, with that line, either roll out or throw it away! Anyway, I'm very critical of him, I guess. Really love Clay, he had a 96 rating in Madden, I think. Now I know why :).
Oh yeah, sometimes the sacks are Tannehil's fault for sure. I look at a guy like Drew Brees who plays with that sense of urgency and can go through his progressions incredibly quickly (I know I stole this talking point from MNF but it's a good one so whatever!) and I don't see nearly as much of that with Tannehill. He definitely isn't Geno Smith tier or anything but that is another area he needs to work on for sure.

I'm really hoping everything comes together for him next season. In my opinion he has shown consistent improvement throughout his first two years but he needs to really show that he is capable of being the long term answer which I don't think he's done yet. Of course, for this to happen the o-line also needs to improve tremendously which is probably wishful thinking with Ireland at the helm.

I'm going to rewatch the game today but from what I saw on Sunday Tannehill's o-line isn't THAT bad. From what I saw Tannehill suffers from indecision, which is a common problem for young QBs. Seems he has good vision and keeps his eyes downfield. OC doesn't want him to go there though but for the sacks he takes.

I had no idea!

Haha I figured. He was really brutalizing Dolphins guys at the beginning of the game. Thought for sure he'd get a flag when he drilled that dude out of bounds.

Archangel5

Neo Member
Welcome, friend
Thanks.
You already fit it, welcome.
Many thanks.
This is how you make an interest.

Declaring your LL status, and hating on Fatford and the Patriots.
I've studied the ways of the NFL-Gaf™.
Welcome, Archangel.
Thank you.
Tell me, how do you feel about Eddie Lacy
I like him, but he still needs to learn how to fall forward.
Ha, no.
Yes! Welcome!
UbC08mz.jpg

i hope you've enjoyed reading our conversations
Thoroughly.
Wasn't I just talking about fickle biiiiitches who would switch to hockey if they're team had two losing seasons in a row. The difference between Pack fans and Pats fans is asterisks not class.
After all these previous years, the Packers are currently in third place in the division and now a lifelong comes out of the woodwork?

Color me skeptical. But welcome anyway.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

jakncoke

Banned

Woodley leaving probably is a good idea at this point but how we going to deal with his dead money? 14.1 dead in 2014 if do anything with him. I could see us letting Keisel and Clark walking and telling taylor and polamalu that although they've been great for us for a decade that their talents no longer match their salary and to either take a paycut or sign an extension that cuts their salary and extend them 2-3 years

Woodley leaving probably is a good idea at this point but how we going to deal with his dead money? 14.1 dead in 2014 if do anything with him. I could see us letting Keisel and Clark walking and telling taylor and polamalu that although they've been great for us for a decade that their talents no longer match their salary and to either take a paycut or sign an extension that cuts their salary and extend them 2-3 years

Clark is gone for sure. Keisel 95 percent chance. Steelers extended Ike and we have no replacement so he isn't going anywhere. Troy will probably stay at a reduced salary.

Woodley i'm not sure. Linebacker coach Keith Butler stressed that this was a "prove it" year for Woodley and while he has played well he still can't stay healthy. I just don't see them letting Worilds walk after doing the same thing with Keenan Lewis a year ago. My guess is they both stay. My only worry is that Worilds' effectiveness is due to Heyward - i'd like to see him actually do something on the right side.

jakncoke

Banned
Clark is gone for sure. Keisel 95 percent chance. Steelers extended Ike and we have no replacement so he isn't going anywhere. Troy will probably stay at a reduced salary.

Woodley i'm not sure. Linebacker coach Keith Butler stressed that this was a "prove it" year for Woodley and while he has played well he still can't stay healthy. I just don't see them letting Worilds walk after doing the same thing with Keenan Lewis a year ago. My guess is they both stay. My only worry is that Worilds' effectiveness is due to Heyward - i'd like to see him actually do something on the right side.

Im talking an extension past next year as Ikes salary is 7 million base with nearly 5 in bonuses for 2014

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RG3 needed to be benched earlier in the year. The qb can't have more power than the coach and if you play like ass you should have to sit on yours. Plus, if Cousins plays well, he'll net Washington a high draft pick in a trade. But now it just looks like a coach's vendetta.

Bowser

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least enjoying a little bit the screws being put to IRG3 after the way Cam was lambasted last season. It's delicious.

I'm not sure what to make of the Woodley situation yet. Suppose it's possible he goes, but he's Tomlin's guy, his first big draft success so I'm not so sure he goes.

Keisel's probably retiring and Clark is gone. Troy and Ike is tough, I think a lot will depend on if Lebeau finally retires or not. Dick loves Ike, so if he's still around, I bet Ike is too. Troy I think they try and squeeze another year or two on the cheap, if not, he goes.

He's been the brightest spot among the young guys on D. His play was easy to spot on Sunday cause he was bringing guys down with one arm while everyone else flailed and flopped around the field.

Wasn't just 1993. The year before Buffalo they had blown a game vs Denver. There's also no loss in sports that compares to that Buffalo loss (maybe that Maple Leafs choke last year). Teams just didn't score points like they do now. 35-3 was an unfathomable lead to take, let alone squander in just 1.5 quarters

And this was pre-salary cap. That 1993 team is probably the best team to not win the SB. Pardee was just a bad coach. Looking back, I can also see the faults with Moon. Guy was a true HoF but he was a front-runner. Could never stop the bleeding when things were going bad. The Aaron Rodgers of his day

Not only did they blow the lead in Buffalo, they blew it to Buffalo's back-up quarterback.

At least against Denver, Elway was at the helm. He did that sort of thing to a lot of teams in his day.

...and so ends the Shanahan era in Washington.

I love the irony in sitting RG3 to "protect" him against Atlanta in the dome but it's all good to play him against the Chiefs on that horrible field with snow on the ground. ;)

It sounds odd, but there's a difference between sitting a guy for four games and sitting him for three.

I think he's probably sitting him a week earlier than he should, but it's important to realize that RGIII isn't just any guy, he's a fragile guy sitting behind an atrocious o-line coming off an ACL injury. It's not a normal situation and sitting him to insure his health for a full off-season is absolutely paramount.

Top Bottom