• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

vikki

wrong community member

A couple pages ago someone said that the Lions were the most hated in here. I disagree.

I can't really help where I was born and raised, I remember when the Patriots weren't shit and our Superbowl was pretty much playing the Dolphins every year. I guess that makes me a lifelong, but I don't care.

What a disaster. RG seems very much like a confidence player so it'll probably be quite difficult for him to come back from this, if he even gets an opportunity at all.

Lol, the kids ego is beyond ridiculous and is part of the reason why this much back and forth media fire has occured in the first place. That won't be a problem.

I'm honestly surprised by the level of criticism this team has faced. I mean, the writing was on the table from the get go. RGIII coming back from ACL surgery early--looks like shit. Shocking news!

Lose the best special teams player because the team has no money along with the special teams coach? The special teams is suddenly historically bad, shocking news!

Griff set himself up to get his ass slapped from all the hype he had going into the season, but none of this should have been unexpected. I'd even keep the Shanahans if it weren't for off the field shit being toxic to a level that's unacceptable.

Bowser

Saw this yesterday. My reaction:
Gt5Ezmo.png

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL 24m
From @jeffdarlington: RGIII will be inactive Sunday. Rex Grossman will back up Kirk Cousins.

LOLOLOL

effzee

I can't lie I was rooting for Lebron to win that first chip though.

I got tired of the constant whining from haters, the bitchmadeness of Cleveland (like this man didn't give you seven years of great basketball and brought relevancy to your franchise), and all of the same stupid jokes being repeated over and over (never try asking Lebron for change for a dollar)

Yup. Its funny I disliked Lebron and the Cavs while he was there but after he made the move and almost the whole sports world started shitting on him, I started rooting for him. Sixers aren't relevant so as soon as they are eliminated from the playoffs, I root for the Heat.

Two things I want to see this NBA season. Sixers to get a top 5 pick, preferably the #1 overall, and the Heat to 3 peat.

Mark me under ravens.

And still don't see how eagles/bears is more appealing to the nation but hey. Oh well.

Well NFC East games always get very high ratings.

I think interest in Foles, Chip, plus the flashy McCoy and Desean is pretty high. It will still be a huge playoff game for both teams. Eagles can't afford to lose any games and neither can Chicago.

Pats have their division locked up and while Ravens are fighting for a spot, it probably won't do as well in ratings as Eagles-Bears.

Saint Nick on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. SI knows what's up.

BbNQo2aCAAAfVY7.jpg:large

Fuck we are fucked!

Fuck you SI!

While I mostly agree with you, this exact same team was 1-3 with Vick at the helm and 7-2 since. So I think the case can be made that the QB does have something to do with the turn-around.

Team has def improved but that terrible start had to do with a tough schedule to begin and our horrible D.

The three games in a row we lost? SD, KC, and then Denver. KC was the one truly terrible game but SD we should have won if our D could ever stop Rivers. Denver we never stood a chance. That was the toughest part of our schedule.

Then we got to the soft part of our schedule with the Giants, Bucs, Raiders, Packers without AROD, Redskins, and Lions. The only team I think we faced at full strength and with a really good D was Arizona. That was one hell of a win. Lions game counts only because of battling the elements. All this while the D finally turned it around a bit.

Of course Foles stability (basically staying healthy) helps. I still say if we had a healthy Vick or Foles we beat the Giants in that 2nd match up. We also win the same games with a healthy Vick but it wasn't like we were facing tough match ups. Maybe we would have won in different ways. Would have def lost the Lions game because he would have out fumbled Stafford.

RG3 needed to be benched earlier in the year. The qb can't have more power than the coach and if you play like ass you should have to sit on yours. Plus, if Cousins plays well, he'll net Washington a high draft pick in a trade. But now it just looks like a coach's vendetta.

Why did he need to be benched? Was he the reason they were losing?

While he wasn't playing as well as he did last year, obviously, their D is just terrible. No one could keep them in games.

If he is healthy to go you have to play him. He is the reason they made the playoffs last year while the D was the same shitty D.

Snyder is a shit head. But so is Shanny and Son. I just can't understand how you can have your son as your OC.

Where I work, our director once tried to hire his son for a position with the staff and we all fucking let him have it. Its just uncomfortable.

What a disaster. RG seems very much like a confidence player so it'll probably be quite difficult for him to come back from this, if he even gets an opportunity at all.

He will have all the confidence in the world when he gets 1 full off season (his first) with the Skins 100% healthy, with a new head coach, DC, and special teams overhaul.

With how bad the NFCE has been wouldn't be shocking to see them right back in the mix next year.

bionic77

Kelvin Benjamin is 6'6"? I know who I want the Steelers to take in the first.
I want them to get a difference maker at LB, CB or safety (in that order of preference taking whoever is the best available).

A tall WR would be nice for the red zone and for Ben to just toss it up when he feels pressure, but the defense is where we need to focus on first.

Also need some coaches, but they are not available in the draft. :(

jakncoke

Banned
I want them to get a difference maker at LB, CB or safety (in that order of preference taking whoever is the best available).

A tall WR would be nice for the red zone and for Ben to just toss it up when he feels pressure, but the defense is where we need to focus on first.

Is there a new gm in there at all?

Don't see many 1st round worthy safeties in the mocks so far. My hope is Linebacker or Nose Tackle, but if Benjamin declared and fell to us I would drool at the thought. Dat redzone offense - just throw it near him and it's a TD.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Why did he need to be benched? Was he the reason they were losing?

While he wasn't playing as well as he did last year, obviously, their D is just terrible. No one could keep them in games.

If he is healthy to go you have to play him. He is the reason they made the playoffs last year while the D was the same shitty D.

Snyder is a shit head. But so is Shanny and Son. I just can't understand how you can have your son as your OC.

Where I work, our director once tried to hire his son for a position with the staff and we all fucking let him have it. Its just uncomfortable.

Absolutely, RG3 is one of the reasons that they're losing. He was not healthy at the start of the year and now he's just not playing well. You know Shanahan wanted to roll with Cousins to begin the year, but the ad campaign fueled ego of the qb and Snyder wouldn't allow it.

Once again, the qb can't have more power than the hc. It's an untenable situation. I don't think much of Shanahan, but he's been put in a bad position.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Phil Dawson wins special teams player of the week. That should cheer kave up! Suck his dick seachickens! (Dawson AND kave!)

But I don't hate the 49ers, I am glad Phil is on a team that will make the playoffs and put him to good use. :(

Only his rightful liege gets to discipline Kave.

MY LIEGE!

Wisconsin Rb Melvin Gordon ask for a draft evaluation

If I was king again, i would of beheaded him twice over........

Screw you fraud! I'd fight you then buy you a diner.

Absolutely, RG3 is one of the reasons that they're losing. He was not healthy at the start of the year and now he's just not playing well. You know Shanahan wanted to roll with Cousins to begin the year, but the ad campaign fueled ego of the qb and Snyder wouldn't allow it.

Once again, the qb can't have more power than the hc. It's an untenable situation. I don't think much of Shanahan, but he's been put in a bad position.

I agree with everything you said. Still, RGIII is probably only being benched now due to sour grapes. Typical Shanahan.

bionic77

Don't see many 1st round worthy safeties in the mocks so far. My hope is Linebacker or Nose Tackle, but if Benjamin declared and fell to us I would drool at the thought. Dat redzone offense - just throw it near him and it's a TD.
Usually takes 2 years for most receivers to learn how to play in the NFL. We ain't winning the SB next year so it doesn't hurt to take him early but I am still worried about the defense.

Timmons at times seems like the only guy on D with any athleticism. Though I am happy with how Worilds has stepped up. Not that long ago he seemed like such a bust and now he is outplaying Woodley.

I have Ryan, Jackson and Douglas active for my fantasy playoff game against the Skins, so I'm betting the house that they have a historic night like everyone else does against us.

Usually takes 2 years for most receivers to learn how to play in the NFL. We ain't winning the SB next year so it doesn't hurt to take him early but I am still worried about the defense.

Timmons at times seems like the only guy on D with any athleticism. Though I am happy with how Worilds has stepped up. Not that long ago he seemed like such a bust and now he is outplaying Woodley.

Oh I agree, Defense is shit. Foote getting injured killed them and we're geriatric at far too many positions.

Still, the situation is similar on defense. Vince Williams barely sees the field since he doesn't know the defense - any ILB we draft inside will almost surely sit his rookie season. We're going to be bad next year too most likely.

Touchdown

Banned
A lot of people still don't believe in Nick Foles. And now he's been put on
the cover of Sports Illustrated and subjected to its jinx. If he comes out
and plays well at Minnesota, then against Chicago, and at Dallass after
that, then he really should be the Eagles QB for the next thousand years....

KingGondo

Banned
Walter Football has the Browns taking:

Round 1, pick 6: Brett Hundley, QB
Round 1, pick 24: Marqise Lee, WR
Round 2, pick 6: Ryan Shazier, LB
Round 3, pick 9: Deone Bucannon, S
Round 3, pick 12: Carlos Hyde, RB

I would be happy if this happened.

Dragon

Banned
A couple pages ago someone said that the Lions were the most hated in here. I disagree.

I can't really help where I was born and raised, I remember when the Patriots weren't shit and our Superbowl was pretty much playing the Dolphins every year. I guess that makes me a lifelong, but I don't care.

When a professional sports team has sustained success over the course of almost 15 years, people are going to vilify the team and its fans. It's just one of those things that happens. You have two choices. Become more salty than jakncoke or Godslay or shrug and say eat shit.

I'd like to see you dance bro! Don't insult my fellow white people!

Walter Football has the Browns taking:

Round 1, pick 6: Brett Hundley, QB
Round 1, pick 24: Marqise Lee, WR
Round 2, pick 6: Ryan Shazier, LB
Round 3, pick 9: Deone Bucannon, S
Round 3, pick 12: Carlos Hyde, RB

I would be happy if this happened.
Yeah read that one yesterday, I'd love that.

rando14

Dragon I hope you don't mind but I've been meaning to ask you about wheel of time. I'm thinking of starting the series but I heard that there are middle books that people think are worth skipping (and just reading summaries online). What would you recommend? Thanks if you're able to answer!!

Doomsayer

I don't normally ask FF questions... but this is the game before the championship so I need a bit of advice.

I have these running backs:

Reggie Bush
Gio Bernard
Bell (in case Reggie can't go)
Steven Jackson
Ray Rice
Sproles
Donald Brown

and these receivers:

Dez
Fitz
Roddy White
Crabtree

I know for sure I'm playing Fitz and Dez but after that its kind of hazy. Reggie is a must start (if he can go) and I'm thinking Jackson because of how terrible the Washington defense is. For that last flex... should I go with Roddy White?

The thing that is hurting that team the most is the lack of a defense. That's something that will never be resolved as long as Shannahan is there. Us Bronco fans have seen it all before with him.

He will rarely take a defensive player in the first round and will often reach on an offensive one. See: RGIII.

I think it will ultimately work out with RGIII but he needs something that all young quarterbacks need, a good defense.

jakncoke

Banned
When a professional sports team has sustained success over the course of almost 15 years, people are going to vilify the team and its fans. It's just one of those things that happens. You have two choices. Become more salty than jakncoke or Godslay or shrug and say eat shit.

I'd like to see you dance bro! Don't insult my fellow white people!

Im whiter than you.

Dragon

Banned
Dragon I hope you don't mind but I've been meaning to ask you about wheel of time. I'm thinking of starting the series but I heard that there are middle books that people think are worth skipping (and just reading summaries online). What would you recommend? Thanks if you're able to answer!!

Bionic and I are both fans of the series. I'd say the beginning books up to book 6 are fantastic. It takes a severe nose dive in books 7-10 (with some memorable scenes thrown in ), with the plot moving slower than Vince Wilfork returning a fumble. With Knife of Dreams and the original author's passing, the series starts to pick up steam and finishes appropriately. I do wish I would have seen what Jordan's ending would be like, because I feel like the last book was rushed and some things didn't appeal to me.

In essence, if you're a fan of epic fantasy, with some melodrama in there and can deal with overly descriptive and repetition of people, places and things, I'd say it's worth it. The battle scenes in the early books are incredible. Its magic system is largely unique in the fantasy genre, enough that you continue to learn new things with each subsequent book. Jordan's world building is up there for me as well. It has its flaws, but if you're looking for something to read while traveling in the next few weeks, not much compares to me. I also starting reading it freshman year of high school so part of why I'm so attached to it is probably nostalgia.

If you'd rather not wiki the middle books but you end up not getting into them, TOR.com (the publisher's website) has done a re-read of most of, if not all, the books.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

To put it in perspective, I went to the book release party for A Memory of Light in NYC. I'm a huge fan, if eznark was around he'd probably steer you clear. They should all be in ebook form at this point, buy Eye of the World and if you can't get into it, then so be it!

In fact, hell just read the Prologue to the Eye of the World, it should be online here: http://www.ipad-ebooks-online.com/25/text/part2.html. I read that and was immediately hooked for life!

I also usually hate fan service with draft picks, but Hyde is an absolute stud. Not as familiar with Shazier.
I honestly don't understand why Hyde isn't getting much attention, no ones even talking about him as a top Rb pick yet. I'm loving the idea of pairing Gordon with one of the top Wrs from this class.

Top Bottom