• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I honestly don't understand why Hyde isn't getting much attention, no ones even talking about him as a top Rb pick yet. I'm loving the idea of pairing Gordon with one of the top Wrs from this class.

Thinking about it got me all hot and bothered.

rando14

Bionic and I are both fans of the series. I'd say the beginning books up to book 6 are fantastic. It takes a severe nose dive in books 7-10 (with some memorable scenes thrown in ), with the plot moving slower than Vince Wilfork returning a fumble. With Knife of Dreams and the original author's passing, the series starts to pick up steam and finishes appropriately. I do wish I would have seen what Jordan's ending would be like, because I feel like the last book was rushed and some things didn't appeal to me.

In essence, if you're a fan of epic fantasy, with some melodrama in there and can deal with overly descriptive and repetition of people, places and things, I'd say it's worth it. The battle scenes in the early books are incredible. Its magic system is largely unique in the fantasy genre, enough that you continue to learn new things with each subsequent book. Jordan's world building is up there for me as well. It has its flaws, but if you're looking for something to read while traveling in the next few weeks, not much compares to me. I also starting reading it freshman year of high school so part of why I'm so attached to it is probably nostalgia.

If you'd rather not wiki the middle books but you end up not getting into them, TOR.com (the publisher's website) has done a re-read of most of, if not all, the books.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

To put it in perspective, I went to the book release party for A Memory of Light in NYC. I'm a huge fan, if eznark was around he'd probably steer you clear. They should all be in ebook form at this point, buy Eye of the World and if you can't get into it, then so be it!

In fact, hell just read the Prologue to the Eye of the World, it should be online here: http://www.ipad-ebooks-online.com/25/text/part2.html. I read that and was immediately hooked for life!

Wow awesome thanks so much for this, very much appreciated!! I actually picked up eye of the world at HPB so I'm gonna dive right in tonight!! :)

KingGondo

Banned
I honestly don't understand why Hyde isn't getting much attention, no ones even talking about him as a top Rb pick yet. I'm loving the idea of pairing Gordon with one of the top Wrs from this class.
Hyde will probably be gone by the third round IMO, but you never know.

I definitely think QB-WR is the way to go in the first this year.

mr2xxx

Banned
Kirk starting over RG3, I don't care at this point. It's not like Rg3 has been playing lights out with his inaccuracy, missing reads and making mistakes. On top of that you have the rumor mill that has been working overtime and I'm so apathetic that I'm not wasting my time trying to figure out what is real.

The only thing that has been constant is the losing since Snyder took over so everything starts with him. From unfairly firing Marty due to Snyder not wanting to give up power, hiring the puppet known as Zorn, keeping yes man Cerrato for all those years, hiring practices more akin to fantasy football etc.

Fans were tired of Dan but gave him the benefit of the doubt since it seemed he let Mike and Bruce run things but that isn't the case with rumors of Mike wanting Tanny and not trading the house for Rg3. On top of that you have Dan's friendship with RG3 with undermined Shanny's authority which is easily believed since Dan had a similar relationship with Portis. Hopefully something changes but this team will likely be the same dysfunctional team as allows.NFL GAF you have the right to punch me if I get excited for this team again.

I don't normally ask FF questions... but this is the game before the championship so I need a bit of advice.

I have these running backs:

Reggie Bush
Gio Bernard
Bell (in case Reggie can't go)
Steven Jackson
Ray Rice
Sproles
Donald Brown

and these receivers:

Dez
Fitz
Roddy White
Crabtree

I know for sure I'm playing Fitz and Dez but after that its kind of hazy. Reggie is a must start (if he can go) and I'm thinking Jackson because of how terrible the Washington defense is. For that last flex... should I go with Roddy White?

How are you in the playoffs?

A Redskins player says that "prevention of franchise quarterback getting hurt" was the explanation given in a team meeting regarding Robert
Why not just deactivate him then.

I think I just saw Kiper had him as his number 1 back I think, we'll see it that changes if Gordon comes out.

I'm kicking ass in fantasy this year, 10-4 in 2nd place with a team I drafted while I was helping my friend move, 1st place in one pick'em and 2nd place in the gaf pick'em and got 1st place in my survival league too.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Likewise. Hoyer/Campbell look like they will live out what I hoped Weeden would be able to do and hold the fort until the next guy is ready.

But definitely an ILB is a big need, I have been over it many times how I do not want to see Craig Robertson out there every Sunday.

JABEE

Saint Nick on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. SI knows what's up.

BbNQo2aCAAAfVY7.jpg:large

LET'S GO!!!

Dragon

Banned
Wow awesome thanks so much for this, very much appreciated!! I actually picked up eye of the world at HPB so I'm gonna dive right in tonight!! :)

No problem, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM. It's too bad there's not much on GAF about it, but makes sense, Martin's all the rage now and the WoT is done after all.

Doomsayer

How are you in the playoffs?

I started the season 7-1, then injuries and Ridley happened.

Russel Wilson, Seahawks defense, and Vernon Davis have carried me all year.

Oh, I also traded Forte for Dez... in hindsight that was kind of stupid but I was hurting after Julio Jones went down.

Fantomex

Good points. Do you also get the feeling he is holding on to the ball a bit too long. Sometimes I think, gee, it's been 2,5 secs in a tight pocket, with that line, either roll out or throw it away! Anyway, I'm very critical of him, I guess. Really love Clay, he had a 96 rating in Madden, I think. Now I know why :).

Oh yeah, sometimes the sacks are Tannehil's fault for sure. I look at a guy like Drew Brees who plays with that sense of urgency and can go through his progressions incredibly quickly (I know I stole this talking point from MNF but it's a good one so whatever!) and I don't see nearly as much of that with Tannehill. He definitely isn't Geno Smith tier or anything but that is another area he needs to work on for sure.

I'm really hoping everything comes together for him next season. In my opinion he has shown consistent improvement throughout his first two years but he needs to really show that he is capable of being the long term answer which I don't think he's done yet. Of course, for this to happen the o-line also needs to improve tremendously which is probably wishful thinking with Ireland at the helm.

If I can chime in on some playbook stuff I've noticed gents. Tannehills pocket awareness has been steadily improving these past 2 weeks. But I've noticed that he takes sacks just as well as Cam did last week. And thats because the Saints have a legit front 4 that gave Cam the business. And that's what happens in this league when you have an average or mediocre offensive line, your QB will get clobbered even before their fight or flight instincts kick in. As fast as Cam is, when he plays a legit front 7 he gets sacked or knocked down a lot. I am able to be more patient with Tannehill now that I've been observing Cam going through the same thing. Cam has one legit receiver in Smith, one upcoming receiver in Lafell and an average tight end. Very similar to what Miami is facing with it's receiving corps. But where things somehow start to branch off, is that when studying Miami's playbook, they still are going with routes that take too long to develop. So he is often going to either his first read or his outlet. And that's been happening since week one. Nothing is change. When he gets wallace involved it's usually his first read based on coverage. It happens a bit less with Hartline, and that's because he is a better route runner. He can come back to him with his progressions. With Wallace, it's either first read or nothing at all. The outlet pass is his favorite to Clay, because studying the routes, Clay hardly blocks and then releases like RB's or TE's usually do. He runs his routes almost immediately, doesn't even pretend that he was going to block. So this is the reason why Clay is becoming his favorite target. I really don't understand, with my low football I.Q. that I can see something that all these coaches can't. Our offensive line is mediocre, the ball should be thrown quickly, why not have faster developing routes? Or go West Coast dink and dunk for Petes sake? I just don't get it. But then again, I'm just probably one of those "fans that think they know what they're talking about"

jakncoke

Banned

Looking at this walter football draft projects lists his 40 at 4.60, if its really 4.60 its not shocking seeing him listed at 3rd round or later

ShaneB

No problem, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM. It's too bad there's not much on GAF about it, but makes sense, Martin's all the rage now and the WoT is done after all.

Perhaps I'll put WoT 1-6 on my To-Read list in that case and see what all the rage is one of these days. After I finished Storm of Swords earlier this year I'm done with GoT until the series is finished.

Fans were tired of Dan but gave him the benefit of the doubt since it seemed he let Mike and Bruce run things but that isn't the case with rumors of Mike wanting Tanny and not trading the house for Rg3. On top of that you have Dan's friendship with RG3 with undermined Shanny's authority which is easily believed since Dan had a similar relationship with Portis. Hopefully something changes but this team will likely be the same dysfunctional team as allows.NFL GAF you have the right to punch me if I get excited for this team again.

To be fair to Snyder, listening to Shanny on QB's probably isn't a great idea. Cutler seems like he's destined to be an average QB at best and we're talking about a guy who endorsed zombie McNabb/Rex/John Beck.

Good chance we get to see the dragon unleashed then?

Cousins will be terribad

effzee

Absolutely, RG3 is one of the reasons that they're losing. He was not healthy at the start of the year and now he's just not playing well. You know Shanahan wanted to roll with Cousins to begin the year, but the ad campaign fueled ego of the qb and Snyder wouldn't allow it.

Once again, the qb can't have more power than the hc. It's an untenable situation. I don't think much of Shanahan, but he's been put in a bad position.

Oh of course the QB can't have more power but that has nothing to do with on field production. RG3 was cleared by Dr. Andrews. He was healthy but sat out the whole pre season. Now is he more hesitant? A little slower? Can't be used how he was last year? Sure that's true but that is pretty much universal for all QBs coming back from knee surgery. Year 2 after the surgery is when they all say they get their confidence and footing back. What would starting Cousins have done? Just delayed RG3 playing? His problems right now are mental and just working his way back through the injury. Its not like he is playing on a damaged torn knee. Its fine. This is just the natural progression. At some point he had to get his feet wet, especially since they didn't play him in pre season.

Even then RG3 hasn't played so bad that he is the sole reason for them losing or the primary even.

The actual team has the same problems it had last season. The defense. It hasn't improved and in fact I think is worse this year. RG3 will be 100% healthy next season mind and body, but if the D isn't improved it won't matter.

Fach.

Also, probably the worst week to give Foles the cover, considering the game that he had versus the game that Shady had.

Yeah thing is Foles had some questionable throws the weak before against the Cardinals too. He is a gun slinger and takes risks which until this week have all paid off. I love the way he is playing but I think people should slow down before crowning him as the next anything.

Of course he has earned the right to start the rest of this season and next year (esp with Mariota not coming out).

I think for every Eagles fan that gets banned, two spawn in his place.

Can't hold us down.

If I can chime in on some playbook stuff I've noticed gents. Tannehills pocket awareness has been steadily improving these past 2 weeks. But I've noticed that he takes sacks just as well as Cam did last week. And thats because the Saints have a legit front 4 that gave Cam the business. And that's what happens in this league when you have an average or mediocre offensive line, your QB will get clobbered even before their fight or flight instincts kick in. As fast as Cam is, when he plays a legit front 7 he gets sacked or knocked down a lot. I am able to be more patient with Tannehill now that I've been observing Cam going through the same thing. Cam has one legit receiver in Smith, one upcoming receiver in Lafell and an average tight end. Very similar to what Miami is facing with it's receiving corps. But where things somehow start to branch off, is that when studying Miami's playbook, they still are going with routes that take too long to develop. So he is often going to either his first read or his outlet. And that's been happening since week one. Nothing is change. When he gets wallace involved it's usually his first read based on coverage. It happens a bit less with Hartline, and that's because he is a better route runner. He can come back to him with his progressions. With Wallace, it's either first read or nothing at all. The outlet pass is his favorite to Clay, because studying the routes, Clay hardly blocks and then releases like RB's or TE's usually do. He runs his routes almost immediately, doesn't even pretend that he was going to block. So this is the reason why Clay is becoming his favorite target. I really don't understand, with my low football I.Q. that I can see something that all these coaches can't. Our offensive line is mediocre, the ball should be thrown quickly, why not have faster developing routes? Or go West Coast dink and dunk for Petes sake? I just don't get it. But then again, I'm just probably one of those "fans that think they know what they're talking about"

It's a huge coaching problem, the timing between tannehills drop backs and throws take too long compared to wallaces speed, tannehill has launched deep balls past 60 yards which is where most good qbs can throw it and he's average when throwing deep balls to anyone other than wallace. The reason why it's underthrow is because the coaches plays don't work for a wr that fast. Tannehill will have a hitch in his drop back that causes a delay or they won't have wallace do a double move to let the play develop better and give Tannehill more time. As you brought up with the TEs, that's another coaching problem. Everyone is blaming Tannehill for under throwing but it's not on him, it's the scheme/plays and that's on the coaches.

Now I'm not excusing tannehill completely, sometimes, especially on deep throws he hesitates and takes too long to throw which causes some of his sacks, but he has shown improvement this year compared to last and especially the last few weeks which he's played very well.

Please tell me we get Carr.

Then only play our second string offensive line and get him more sacked than his brother. it would be great. I'd be willing to have another horrible year just to watch it happen.

Looking at this walter football draft projects lists his 40 at 4.60, if its really 4.60 its not shocking seeing him listed at 3rd round or later
Those probably haven't been updated for a while in guessing, even if he does, he's way quicker then that straight line speed.

MechDX

Stop trolling. What do you honestly want the texans to do in the first round?

Trade back. All it takes is one team wanting someone bad enough.
If Carr's stock keeps rising someone will bite hard

I honestly can not say yet. Lot of holes and need to know who the damn HC will be

Mrbob

Bionic and I are both fans of the series. I'd say the beginning books up to book 6 are fantastic. It takes a severe nose dive in books 7-10 (with some memorable scenes thrown in ), with the plot moving slower than Vince Wilfork returning a fumble. With Knife of Dreams and the original author's passing, the series starts to pick up steam and finishes appropriately. I do wish I would have seen what Jordan's ending would be like, because I feel like the last book was rushed and some things didn't appeal to me.

In essence, if you're a fan of epic fantasy, with some melodrama in there and can deal with overly descriptive and repetition of people, places and things, I'd say it's worth it. The battle scenes in the early books are incredible. Its magic system is largely unique in the fantasy genre, enough that you continue to learn new things with each subsequent book. Jordan's world building is up there for me as well. It has its flaws, but if you're looking for something to read while traveling in the next few weeks, not much compares to me. I also starting reading it freshman year of high school so part of why I'm so attached to it is probably nostalgia.

If you'd rather not wiki the middle books but you end up not getting into them, TOR.com (the publisher's website) has done a re-read of most of, if not all, the books.

To put it in perspective, I went to the book release party for A Memory of Light in NYC. I'm a huge fan, if eznark was around he'd probably steer you clear. They should all be in ebook form at this point, buy Eye of the World and if you can't get into it, then so be it!

In fact, hell just read the Prologue to the Eye of the World, it should be online here: http://www.ipad-ebooks-online.com/25/text/part2.html. I read that and was immediately hooked for life!

I'm an audible member, and they offer the WoT books for one credit each. I have them all now and am going through them as I do running workouts at the gym. Almost done with book 5, major sad face event at the end of this book too. :( The narrators are awesome too. I'm hoping they help carry these slower books because I've been really impressed with what I've witnessed so far.

MechDX

No QB in the first round?? I thought this was a great QB draft?

Who said we wouldn't take a QB in the first round? Im talking trading back in the first. I may be trolling but I believe Cleveland or St Louis would be tempted to trade both #1's if they love a certain QB enough.

I am in the camp here that believes Case is not a long term solution BTW. The QB depth in this draft has taken a downturn due to injuries and underclassmen not declaring as expected. Could change though

PDS ‏@PatDStat 23m
RT @DoughertyDrew: Andre Johnson needs 5 rec, 223 yds to reach 100/1,500 in '13. Would be NFL-record 4th time to get 100/1,500 in a season.

Everyone just keeps forgetting about Dre

Fantomex

It's a huge coaching problem, the timing between tannehills drop backs and throws take too long compared to wallaces speed, tannehill has launched deep balls past 60 yards which is where most good qbs can throw it and he's average when throwing deep balls to anyone other than wallace. The reason why it's underthrow is because the coaches plays don't work for a wr that fast. Tannehill will have a hitch in his drop back that causes a delay or they won't have wallace do a double move to let the play develop better and give Tannehill more time. As you brought up with the TEs, that's another coaching problem. Everyone is blaming Tannehill for under throwing but it's not on him, it's the scheme/plays and that's on the coaches.

Now I'm not excusing tannehill completely, sometimes, especially on deep throws he hesitates and takes too long to throw which causes some of his sacks, but he has shown improvement this year compared to last and especially the last few weeks which he's played very well.

Our coaches suck bro.

bionic77

WoT is good shit.

Dragon gets it right. The first six books are all really tight and then it does start to drag a bit but then all hell breaks loose for the last 3 books.

Speaking of books I am into book 4 of the Dark Tower by Stephen King and it is amazing. Imagine if a book were the complete opposite of Gata and you have an idea of how good it has been so far. Highly recommend to anyone who likes good shit.

Who said we wouldn't take a QB in the first round? Im talking trading back in the first. I may be trolling but I believe Cleveland or St Louis would be tempted to trade both #1's if they love a certain QB enough.

doubt it. especially with the way the rg3 trade has turned out. no one is trading two no.1 picks to move up. might get a 1 and a 2 tho.

Speaking of books I am into book 4 of the Dark Tower by Stephen King and it is amazing. Imagine if a book were the complete opposite of Gata and you have an idea of how good it has been so far. Highly recommend to anyone who likes good shit.

is that wizard and glass? best one in the series imo.

I am in the camp here that believes Case is not a long term solution BTW. The QB depth in this draft has taken a downturn due to injuries and underclassmen not declaring as expected. Could change though

Everyone just keeps forgetting about Dre

Usually the 'best' ones go in the top 10, trading down seems like a gamble if it's not that deep now with injuries, I think if Fisher stays with the rams they won't draft a QB in the first, at least not that high up. The browns should though, they are all kinds of awful.

Our coaches suck bro.

Very much yes, :(

Dragon

Banned
I'm an audible member, and they offer the WoT books for one credit each. I have them all now and am going through them as I do running workouts at the gym. Almost done with book 5, major sad face event at the end of this book too. :( The narrators are awesome too. I'm hoping they help carry these slower books because I've been really impressed with what I've witnessed so far.

Yeah I may end up doing that. Does audible have an app on android so I can listen to them in the car? I've never actually listened to an audio book and I'm curious, and WoT seems to be one where I'd enjoy it.

Yeah Fires of Heaven's ending is tough but obviously awesome as well.

Perhaps I'll put WoT 1-6 on my To-Read list in that case and see what all the rage is one of these days. After I finished Storm of Swords earlier this year I'm done with GoT until the series is finished.

Yeah Martin's time between books sucks, if it keeps up I wonder what HBO does.

Dark Tower is great although I did not like the last book at all.

Mrbob

Yeah I may end up doing that. Does audible have an app on android so I can listen to them in the car? I've never actually listened to an audio book and I'm curious, and WoT seems to be one where I'd enjoy it.

Yeah Fires of Heaven's ending is tough but obviously awesome as well.

Nice thing about the WoT books is they have two of the better audiobook narrators doing the voice work. There is an android audible app, which I use on my phone. So you can definitely listen while you are driving. You can sync together between multiple devices with their app. I have an old ipod touch I use at the gym, and I can bookmark from it and later pick up where I left off on my android phone. I can do same thing thing the other way. Bookmark from my android phone and start at that spot on my ipod touch.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I do think the coaches have tried to make some adjustments, though. The first TD to Clay against Pitt was on a delayed route, and Clay sold the block very well. The past few weeks have seen a lot more short yardage plays, especially the game where Rishard Matthews tore it up from the slot (can't remember which game that was). I also think the coaching staff has stopped the whole philosophy of abandoning the run that we saw earlier this season. So I do think they are making adjustments, but I also agree that they have a lot of room for improvement.

Tannehill has been great in the read option, why don't we see it more than 1 or 2 times a game? Tannehill is awesome on the run, why don't we see more bootlegs like the one that led to a TD pass to Hartline against Pitt? Tannehill is great on PA, why don't we see it run more often? Tannehill has been struggling against the blitz, why has this not been improved on by him or the coaching staff much over the course of the season?

All of that said, I think the offense is limited by personnel in a lot of ways. Losing Gibson hurt because he was the only real threat the Dolphins had from the slot (which is why you see Clay lining up a lot more often out there these days). Hartline is really only good at running short and intermediate routes because he isn't very fast, which means DB's can cheat on curls and short out routes a lot (hence stuff like the pick six against Pitt). Wallace sucks at deep routes over the middle of the field, which leads to him being utilized in the way you mentioned. Then of course there is the issue with the o-line being abysmal which hamstrings the entire offense further.

So I guess I see some issues with coaching and some issues with personnel. I'm like you though, I'm just a fan that usually watches each game once and doesn't look too far beyond that, so I can only imagine all the stuff I'm missing.

squicken

Keep Case
Draft JFF
Sign VY
?????
Perfect Storm

I'm telling you, the Rams are committed to Bradford. They want to do what they did with RG3 and trade back, but if they can't get the haul they did last time (which they won't) I think they will take the BPA at one of their numerous need areas

There's no way the Texans pass on a QB if they are at #1. Fans always want to trade back, but it so rarely happens. The Texans could be unique I guess if Carr clearly is the best QB but won't play for HOU. Could be like a Rivers/Eli thing

Top Bottom