• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

I agree with most of what you're saying. I do think the coaches have tried to make some adjustments, though. The first TD to Clay against Pitt was on a delayed route, and Clay sold the block very well. The past few weeks have seen a lot more short yardage plays, especially the game where Rishard Matthews tore it up from the slot (can't remember which game that was). I also think the coaching staff has stopped the whole philosophy of abandoning the run that we saw earlier this season. So I do think they are making adjustments, but I also agree that they have a lot of room for improvement.

Tannehill has been great in the read option, why don't we see it more than 1 or 2 times a game? Tannehill is awesome on the run, why don't we see more bootlegs like the one that led to a TD pass to Hartline against Pitt? Tannehill is great on PA, why don't we see it run more often? Tannehill has been struggling against the blitz, why has this not been improved on by him or the coaching staff much over the course of the season?

All of that said, I think the offense is limited by personnel in a lot of ways. Losing Gibson hurt because he was the only real threat the Dolphins had from the slot (which is why you see Clay lining up a lot more often out there these days). Hartline is really only good at running short and intermediate routes because he isn't very fast, which means DB's can cheat on curls and short out routes a lot (hence stuff like the pick six against Pitt). Wallace sucks at deep routes over the middle of the field, which leads to him being utilized in the way you mentioned. Then of course there is the issue with the o-line being abysmal which hamstrings the entire offense further.

So I guess I see some issues with coaching and some issues with personnel. I'm like you though, I'm just a fan that usually watches each game once and doesn't look too far beyond that, so I can only imagine all the stuff I'm missing.

Ranked 32nd in times the Read option is used...has 118 QB rating when he does...smh

MechDX

I'm telling you, the Rams are committed to Bradford. They want to do what they did with RG3 and trade back, but if they can't get the haul they did last time (which they won't) I think they will take the BPA at one of their numerous need areas

There's no way the Texans pass on a QB if they are at #1. Fans always want to trade back, but it so rarely happens. The Texans could be unique I guess if Carr clearly is the best QB but won't play for HOU. Could be like a Rivers/Eli thing

The Carr thing is baffling. The report a month ago he wouldn't play for the franchise but he did a radio interview with 790 last week and says he loves the city and franchise since he grew up here and his family are still close friends with the McNairs. I don't get it.

If they do take a QB with #1 then I prefer Bridgewater. It is all moot though until they decide on a head coach.

Ranked 32nd in times the Read option is used...has 118 QB rating when he does...smh
That reminds me of another one, SHORT YARDAGE. Oh my goodness this offense is INFURIATING on 3rd/4th and 1/inches. Yet when they QB sneak it always works... Is Sherman scared of getting his boy hurt or something?

The Carr thing is baffling. The report a month ago he wouldn't play for the franchise but he did a radio interview with 790 last week and says he loves the city and franchise since he grew up here and his family are still close friends with the McNairs. I don't get it.

If they do take a QB with #1 then I prefer Bridgewater. It is all moot though until they decide on a head coach.

He got a new agent

That reminds me of another one, SHORT YARDAGE. Oh my goodness this offense is INFURIATING on 3rd/4th and 1/inches. Yet when they QB sneak it always works... Is Sherman scared of getting his boy hurt or something?

I hate when they trot out Thomas for those short yardage runs...(Massive credit to him for last week though)

squicken

One of the selling points to the job is the ability to choose the next QB. I can't see how HOU slips out of the first pick. I just hope it isn't Lovie. He cannot be trusted with a young QB. Need to hire an offensive HC

Jason Cole has a report up saying the Bears are likely to let Cutler walk in the offseason:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bears-likely-to-let-Cutler-walk-in-offseason.html

Unless quarterback Jay Cutler is willing to take a club-friendly deal on his next contract, the Chicago Bears are likely to let Cutler become a free agent in the offseason, a source said Wednesday. The Bears would do that even at the risk of losing him.

“(The Bears) believe in (coach Marc) Trestman after what they’ve seen from (backup quarterback Josh) McCown,” the source said. “Between his system and the two big receivers (Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery), you have a system where a quarterback can flourish. I don’t know if McCown is going to be the starter (next season), but I think the team would be fine letting Cutler test the market and then go draft someone if he left.”

The goal for the Bears is to not overpay for Cutler, who could be looking for a deal in the range of $20 million a year, particularly if the Bears put the franchise tag on him and then try to negotiate a long-term deal.

Chicago Genera Manager Phil Emery said last week that he was uncomfortable with the idea of using the franchise tag on a quarterback.

Fox318

Cutler is gonna get picked up by the Jets.

I can't think of any other team that would go after him. Most teams will try and draft a new qb this year.

Greg

Can't wait for Kirk cousin subway commercials !
I don't have the skills to make this exactly how I wanted, but:

qpeYOkX.png

squicken

Cutler is gonna get picked up by the Jets.

I can't think of any other team that would go after him. Most teams will try and draft a new qb this year.

Cutler will be in-demand this offseason. Texans could choose to pass on a QB (doubtful), AZ could look for an upgrade over Palmer, Kansas City should be interested if they can afford it

fwiw I think this is like the Steelers where the team is trying to let the player know they aren't getting Flacco money

jakncoke

Banned
Got my insurance papers today about what the appraiser felt needed replaced and damn 275 for a 7 mile tow. Also lol fuckers charging 48 a hour labor

MechDX

Cutler will be in-demand this offseason. Texans could choose to pass on a QB (doubtful), AZ could look for an upgrade over Palmer, Kansas City should be interested if they can afford it

fwiw I think this is like the Steelers where the team is trying to let the player know they aren't getting Flacco money

My only concern with this is McNairs comment at Kubiaks firing party. "We are NOT rebuilding".

Mrbob

Jason Cole has a report up saying the Bears are likely to let Cutler walk in the offseason:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bears-likely-to-let-Cutler-walk-in-offseason.html

I have a hard time believing the Bears won't at least use the franchise tag on Cutler. If he wants 20 million a year let him walk. Bears need help at a lot of areas, especially on defense. Then Trestman can draft his QB of the future.

This info doesn't really line up with what Emery said publicly. They brought in an offensive head coach specifically to maximize Cutler. So why would the team give up on him so easily? I don't buy it.

ShaneB

Yeah Martin's time between books sucks, if it keeps up I wonder what HBO does.

Yeah, I have a much easier time contemplating reading a finished 14 book series instead of waiting 5 or 6 years for the next book in a series. Fuck off GRRM.

Fox318

At some point KC and Arizona will draft a QB.

This info doesn't really line up with what Emery said publicly. They brought in an offensive head coach specifically to maximize Cutler. So why would the team give up on him so easily? I don't buy it.
Was the team winning games with Josh McCown (with a 109.8 passer rating no less) at the time? That would tend to change your perspective on whether you're going to pay 20 million to "maximize" a guy or not.

I have a hard time believing the Bears won't at least use the franchise tag on Cutler. If he wants 20 million a year let him walk. Bears need help at a lot of areas, especially on defense. Then Trestman can draft his QB of the future.

...Are you watching the games?

squicken

At some point KC and Arizona will draft a QB.

The thing is, those teams are built to win now. Despite the success of some young QBs, most struggle. But if any team was going to let a QB come in and succeed, it is AZ. Such good receivers and a good offensive coach for QBs

Striker

It will suck, but I think we want Dimitroff to have as high a draft pick as possible which will lessen him and his staff's chances of missing on a (hopefully) defensive lineman or offensive lineman.
I have no doubts they'll be pushing hard for Clowney if he's available, and then nab an OT and OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

effzee

Yup. Freaking amazing.

And dragon at least you are consistent! You hated the last book in WoT too (which I actually liked).

Just started watching the show. Only on Episode 4 of Season 1.

Still thinking I should read the book at the same time on the side. I love the show so far but keep thinking the books are probably that much better.

I wonder if the Jets take a look at him.

A lot of callers yesterday to the Mike Fatcessa show were suggesting this and Mike has already decided Geno is a bust and they need to move on from him.

Personally Jets should stick with Geno, since they pay him nothing compared to what they would have to give Cutler, and build an actual offensive team around their QB.

If I'm the Jets I either draft a RB in the 3rd round or using MM's experience with the Eagles to determine if they want to give the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bryce Brown. He can be a starter in this league but sitting behind McCoy he isn't going to get many looks.

They also need to hit on a WR no matter which round they pick him up in.

tmdorsey

I have no doubts they'll be pushing hard for Clowney if he's available, and then nab an OT and OG in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I hope so. I just worry what they will do if Clowney is not available. I'm scared they will take a OT or OG if he's not there.

effzee

My only concern with this is McNairs comment at Kubiaks firing party. "We are NOT rebuilding".

But why do you want to rebuild? You could be a veteran QB who isn't named Shaub away from a deep playoffs run.

You don't need to blow it all up and restart from the beginning. Just better coaching, an actual QB, and you guys should be right back in it.

MechDX

Clowney is going to bust out so hard.

But why do you want to rebuild? You could be a veteran QB who isn't named Shaub away from a deep playoffs run.

You don't need to blow it all up and restart from the beginning. Just better coaching, an actual QB, and you guys should be right back in it.

I agree but I want NOTHING to do with Cutler.

Fox318

The thing is, those teams are built to win now. Despite the success of some young QBs, most struggle. But if any team was going to let a QB come in and succeed, it is AZ. Such good receivers and a good offensive coach for QBs

Last qb they drafted in the first was Todd Blackledge in 1983.

Last qb they drafted was Ricky Stanzi in the 5th.

At some point don't you have to draft a franchise qb?

Colasante

Clowney is going to bust out so hard.

Why do you say that? The only real knock on him is a lack of effort, and it's not like he'll be coasting on a JaMarcus Russell-esque $40 million rookie contract. With the new CBA, even the players drafted the earliest have to play their asses off their first three years since it's all about making money on that second contract. Besides his effort level this year, I don't think there's anything in Clowney's play to indicate he's going to be a bust.

Mrbob

Was the team winning games with Josh McCown (with a 109.8 passer rating no less) at the time? That would tend to change your perspective on whether you're going to pay 20 million to "maximize" a guy or not.

I think Emerys current comments are just his attempt on trying to resign Cutler at a lower price. Let the negotiations begin. If Cutler really wants dat Flacco cash though Bears better bail out.

...Are you watching the games?

Every one. Cutler can make more of the pro NFL throws than McCown can and has a stronger arm. Would be nice to see if Trestman can iron out all of Cutlers issues, because then the team has a true top 10 QB. If the team wants to go a different direction I'm ok with this. Next draft is super deep at QB. McCown can do work next year as Trestmans hand picked guy sits on the sidelines getting ready for the future.

Got an ESPN alert telling me RGIII is out for the remainder of the season.

Good. Let him build his strength back up, develop some humility, and forge a working relationship with his new HC Gary Kubiak after Shanahan and his defensive coaches are shitcanned.

bionic77

Just started watching the show. Only on Episode 4 of Season 1.

Still thinking I should read the book at the same time on the side. I love the show so far but keep thinking the books are probably that much better.

I wonder if the Jets take a look at him.

A lot of callers yesterday to the Mike Fatcessa show were suggesting this and Mike has already decided Geno is a bust and they need to move on from him.

Personally Jets should stick with Geno, since they pay him nothing compared to what they would have to give Cutler, and build an actual offensive team around their QB.

If I'm the Jets I either draft a RB in the 3rd round or using MM's experience with the Eagles to determine if they want to give the Eagles a 3rd round pick for Bryce Brown. He can be a starter in this league but sitting behind McCoy he isn't going to get many looks.

They also need to hit on a WR no matter which round they pick him up in.
What show?

Do you mean song of fire and ice? Those books were made for cable tv. It goes to shit after book 3 but the first 3 are awesome.

KingGondo

Banned

Good. Let him build his strength back up, develop some humility, and forge a working relationship with his new HC Gary Kubiak after Shanahan and his defensive coaches are shitcanned.
That isn't happening. He was a prima donna even before he won the Heisman.

Do you just not read prior comments before you post? Already stated that if we draft a QB I would want bridgewater before anyone else.

But Im always willing to do a Schaub for Ben trade

I said that because you've already made your choice (well, your sorry ass team did) so you don't have to like Clowney.

So if Cousins plays even worse then RG3, do they stay the course and tank the last 3 games or bring RG3 back?? I imagine Shanahan wants to coach again right..? That would look terrible...

I think Emerys current comments are just his attempt on trying to resign Cutler at a lower price. Let the negotiations begin. If Cutler really wants dat Flacco cash though Bears better bail out.

Every one. Cutler can make more of the pro NFL throws than McCown can and has a stronger arm. Would be nice to see if Trestman can iron out all of Cutlers issues, because then the team has a true top 10 QB. If the team wants to go a different direction I'm ok with this. Next draft is super deep at QB. McCown can do work next year as Trestmans hand picked guy sits on the sidelines getting ready for the future.

Cutler's been in the league 8 years. He's past the point where teams are going to pay him big bucks AND try to fix him.

...He's also a quitter, but I digress.

Colasante

That seems like the right choice to me too. Cutler is a better quarterback than McCown and the easy choice if you have to choose which to invest in long-term, but if Trestman is Svengali-like enough to whisper McCown into relevance, they may as well let him choose a cheap rookie QB to develop, have McCown be the bridge starter as you said, and tag and trade Cutler for a 2nd or a 1st if a team is desperate enough so they can start rebuilding the defense.

Fox318

Does that come with every Subway© footlong purchase?

Top Bottom