• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

Jeff Dickerson ‏ @ ESPNChiBears 2m
Unless Cutler experiences a setback this afternoon, it sounds like the # Bears expect Cutler to start Sunday vs. # Browns.

Brad Biggs ‏ @ BradBiggs 4m
So barring something unexpected, Trestman clear # Bears will start Jay Cutler vs # Browns on Sunday.

Fox318

Wasn't Cutler in the meeting room when they were interviewing head coaches?

Seems odd to get his opinion and then release him.

rando14

After Aaron curry busted I don't trust anyone to not bust anymore!!

Does that come with every Subway© footlong purchase?

I dunno, I kinda feel a little ashamed when I buy subway!!

it's time for lunch - I quit
vJccQ3m.png

:jnc

effzee

What show?

Do you mean song of fire and ice? Those books were made for cable tv. It goes to shit after book 3 but the first 3 are awesome.

Yeah shit I read your post wrong, thought you guys were taking about GoT.

Maybe I'll read the at the same time. I wonder how the audio books are for it.

Man the media is needlessly hostile and inflammatory towards Shanahan right now. I'm listening to the press conference right now and people are acting animal dumb when Mike is doing nothing but making sense.

Fox318

Watch the bears franchise Cutler and the Packers give them a first so Rodgers has a backup.

I can hear Ez screaming now.

rando14

Dance with Dragons is pretty decent, but ima gonna admit I have no fucking clue how grrm is going to wrap all this shit up in two more books!!

bionic77

Dance with Dragons is pretty decent, but ima gonna admit I have no fucking clue how grrm is going to wrap all this shit up in two more books!!
He obviously doesn't know either and is going to die pretty soon anyways (going by his appearance) so don't worry about it.

Sounds like Mark Davis is committed to staying the course in Oakland with Reggie and Allen. I'm glad. Even though we haven't seen a lot of wins this year, the team has definitely improved and played hard, and I see progress.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...-to-something-you-have-to-be-patient-with-it/

I spoke to Raiders owner Mark Davis yesterday afternoon about the future of the team–on the field and off–and am writing a column on it later today.

Easy summary: Davis doesn’t want to make any conclusions on football decisions, he’s keenly interested in how the Raiders play over these last three games, he hasn’t loved the 4-9 record, but he stressed that patience is probably the most important emotion right now.

Generally, it sounded like Davis is leaning towards stability, presuming GM Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen can present a strong plan for how to address the new era of Raiders cap flexibility starting in 2014.

Davis said this is the bitter end of a necessary two-year “deconstruction of the Raiders,” and as soon as the season ends, the “reconstruction” begins, which is a wholly different and better thing.

He also repeatedly brought up McKenzie’s role in everything, so I told him it sounds like McKenzie still has ownership support, and Davis did not disagree.

Of course, if the Raiders get blown out in the remaining three games, I would guess that all bets are off for everybody in the franchise.

I loved the later books. They get hated on by all these haters but I whip 'em off.

I love me some
Jon Snuh -------------------.

Fantomex

Ranked 32nd in times the Read option is used...has 118 QB rating when he does...smh

jnc, classic. No matter how many times we circle around this, we usually end up with the same culprit for our woes.

Coaching?
Personnel?
Drafting?

ireland12-draft.JPG

Just signed Wallace for 60 Mill. Feels Good Man!

Wasn't Cutler in the meeting room when they were interviewing head coaches?

Seems odd to get his opinion and then release him.

Guess he picked too good of an offensive genius. I don't think you can give Cutler big money and I don't think the franchise tag will work either. They'd be on the hook for too big of a cap hit if they couldn't find any takers. I think he'd be a good guy for Cleveland to look at, but I wouldn't give up a draft pick for him unless he looks amazing at the end of the year.

Colasante

Guess he picked too good of an offensive genius. I don't think you can give Cutler big money and I don't think the franchise tag will work either. They'd be on the hook for too big of a cap hit if they couldn't find any takers. I think he'd be a good guy for Cleveland to look at, but I wouldn't give up a draft pick for him unless he looks amazing at the end of the year.

The franchise tag can be revoked during the offseason, as long as the player hasn't signed their tender. Considering Cutler will be looking for a long-term deal, I think he'd be unlikely to sign it unless it was his last option. There's very little risk for the Bears in tagging him.

squicken

lol RG3 played like total garbage vs KC. Cooley tore him up in that film study post. Remedial passer, can't work under center, shitty footwork, reads half the field, too quick to run. But are the writers in WAS or nationally taking shots at him now? Nope. Shanny is catching all the heat. May be even able to parlay Cousins into a good draft pick if he can put up numbers against some bad defenses

I'd say Shanny is doing just fine

Highlights from the Shanahan press conference:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...alks-snyder-and-rg3-in-epic-press-conference/

Shanahan went off on a wide variety of topics, focused almost exclusively on the odd relationship triangle among himself, team owner Dan Snyder and quarterback Robert Griffin III. Shanahan attempted to portray himself as a coach who simply cares about the health of Griffin and the health of the franchise, and he insisted that he likes coaching the team and has nothing against Snyder. And Shanahan said the decision to bench Griffin for the rest of the season was done only in consultation with Snyder.

Toward the end of the lengthy press conference, Shanahan said, “I’ve talked more right now than I have in the last six months.” Here’s some of what Shanahan said:

On whether he second-guesses any previous decisions about playing Griffin on a bad knee: “You can always go back and always question yourself,” Shanahan said. “The doctors said he was 100 percent. So you go with the doctors, who felt — and Robert felt — he was 100 percent.”

On regretting his decision not to pull Griffin from last season’s playoff loss to the Seahawks: “I should have went with my gut. But I thought he earned the right to play because he convinced me he was OK. But I think, you’re talking about honestly right here, it cost us the game.”

On consulting with Snyder about shutting Griffin down: “I talked to Dan Snyder about a week ago, talked to him about the amount of hits Robert has had. Any time you’ve been hit as many times as he’s been hit, I thought it was in his best interests, and the organization, to talk about whether we should continue playing Robert if he’s been hit as much as he’s been hit.”

On why Griffin needs to be healthy heading into this offseason: “If he missed two offseasons in a row, that would be the hardest thing . . . that would be devastating to him.”

On why the franchise quarterback is the only player he consults with Snyder about: “Dan could care less about the other positions.”

On whether he’ll coach the team next year: “I can’t say that. I don’t know until I sit down with Dan. I’ll give him my opinions and he’ll give me opinions.”

On wanting to return next year: “You always want to finish something you started. Always want to.”

On who will make the decision about whether he coaches in 2014: “That’s Dan’s decision at the end of this year. My job is to do the right thing for the organization.”

On Griffin disagreeing with the decision to shut him down: “I would be disappointed if Robert did not want to be in there with his teammates. I would be the most disappointed guy. I’d be the most disappointed guy in myself if he played the last three weeks and he had an ACL or LCL and it sent him off for his second year in a row without an offseason.”

On Shanahan’s dealings today with the media, compared to the way he normally treats the press: “I’m trying to be as honest as I can, and I don’t normally do that.”

effzee

lol RG3 played like total garbage vs KC. Cooley tore him up in that film study post. Remedial passer, can't work under center, shitty footwork, reads half the field, too quick to run. But are the writers in WAS or nationally taking shots at him now? Nope. Shanny is catching all the heat. May be even able to parlay Cousins into a good draft pick if he can put up numbers against some bad defenses

I'd say Shanny is doing just fine

This whole fiasco has had nothing to do with his actual play. And all the things you just mentioned. Weren't those the same things he was getting praised for last year? Good accuracy, fundamentals, reads the D, and only takes off when needs to?

Why would you judge him for the game he had against the Chiefs when the whole team, RG3 included, seems to have quit and is looking forward to the off season?

The whole drama is about their relationship, not his actual ability to play or not. This isn't the first Shanhan has had issues with his QBs and he is known to be a hot head. He has his son as the OC so players can't even turn to anyone since its a family run team. And Shanahan is the one upset about a special bond between QB and owner? He has his son running the offense. You don't think players look at that and think its unfair?

RG3 in his rookie season alone proved he deserved to be picked that high and that he can play. Now can Shanahan or the next coaching staff build a D around the offense RG3 will run?

effzee

Exactly. Everyone goes into the offseason thinking it was all the Shannys fault, RG3 is as perfectly awesome as ever, and Cousins to CLE for Hoyer and the Colts' 1st round pick

But it is Shanny's fault.

Is he not the HC? Is he not responsible for everything on the team? From the offense, to the defense, and to the special teams?

So because RG3 comes back from a knee injury and isn't exactly himself, the whole team completely collapses? What was it built on to begin with then? The Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys especially at the start of the season were mediocre enough that if the Redskins had any semblance of team outside of RG3, they would be #1 in the division.

If I am any team owner even considering hiring Shanahan, I would stipulate his son can't come with him. If Kyle is so good, let him go coach on another team.

Hey you cleveland cats out there, we're thinking about getting some tickets because they're pretty much free. If we go saturday night where should we go out when we're down there?

Colasante

Good article in the New York Times about Ryan Grigson's struggles this season. I'm sure Deacon will love this. I do find it very curious how well Grigson was able to build the offense last season and how poorly he's been able to build the Colts' defense this season. I suppose defensive scouting may just not be his strong suit.

A substandard pass rush stings in light of two transactions by Grigson in April. First, Indianapolis traded the underachieving pass rusher Jerry Hughes to Buffalo for linebacker Kelvin Sheppard, who is now a backup. Hughes was a disappointing first-round pick under the old Colts management, producing just five sacks in three seasons. But he is having a breakout season in Buffalo with eight sacks, and he ranks second among all 3-4 outside linebackers in a statistic created by Pro Football Focus known as pass rusher productivity.

Then Grigson spent the team’s first-round draft pick on Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner. But Werner has barely been able to steal snaps from the underachieving Walden. According to Football Outsiders, Werner has had just 210 snaps and recorded only half a sack. In fact, Grigson’s entire rookie class has been underwhelming: Colts draft picks have been on the field for only 982 offensive or defensive snaps this season, with the third-round left guard Hugh Thornton (730 snaps) and Werner the only players with notable playing time.

Vyer

I really want to see this. Reading some twitter reactions to it is awesome.

lol

So true. That damn Buffalo game was the beginning of the end. Like Schaubs pick 6 against the Seahawks this year was the beginning of the collapse.

You can watch it online. It's broken into segments in the NFL site.

Speaking of Twitter, did you see the way a few media members were giving Stradley a hard time because she thought Rick Smith should have a little more accountability? It's remarkable how some Houston media coddles the Texans.

squicken

Evans and JFF in the first, then grab Goofy in the third

--

Speaking of Twitter, did you see the way a few media members were giving Stradley a hard time because she thought Rick Smith should have a little more accountability? It's remarkable how some Houston media coddles the Texans.

Saw Solomon bothering her about it, but he's a loser. Everyone I've read or heard has serious reservations about Rick. Somehow all the hits were his genius and the misses were the coaches being too involved

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hey you cleveland cats out there, we're thinking about getting some tickets because they're pretty much free. If we go saturday night where should we go out when we're down there?

BG and Batman I think are the only ones here who actually live in and around Cleveland.

Flag one of them down.

cdyhybrid

Shanny wants to be fired

He's going all in. I like it!

Wouldn't have mattered because either of their QBs would have lost that game, though. Hawks came back from 20 down in Atlanta and they only came back from 14 down in DC because RG3 got hurt? :jnc

Evans and JFF in the first, then grab Goofy in the third

No way Goofy is a third round pick. His forty time will be in the high 4.7s and he has really sloppy technique. Plus he has some serious question marks when it comes to his workethic and the recent DUI.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes undrafted.

Seanspeed

Banned
This whole fiasco has had nothing to do with his actual play.
I think it does.

He did have a good first season, but people are expected to grow in their 2nd season, become better and prove their good year wasn't just a one-off.

For RGIII, I'd say he's definitely lacked in accuracy, decision making and general composure, things that have little to do with his inability to run quite like he could last year. His confidence just doesn't seem to be there and he looks like a somewhat subpar rookie QB this year.

I like the Redskins and had high hopes for him, but there's no sugar coating his playing this year. Its not been good and it cannot be all blamed on the rest of the team. He's got a pretty good O-line, a great running back, decent receiving tight ends and a couple decent wide receivers.

MechDX

Pulled down 6 sets of lights and did around 15 repairs on the wires. I hate squirrels. I want every one of them dead!

Top Bottom