• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 15 |OT| Winter Is Coming

squicken

They feel similar to that Colts team in that they saw their star QB go down, played hard for a couple games, and then quit. Though they did bring it for the 2nd half last week, so... woohoo?

Thank you and the rest of Packers GAF for the good info. It's a lot of injuries. Not sure how to think about it not knowing the history of those players. It does seem likely that Capers is on the way out. It's kind of odd that he, LeBeau and Haslett could all be fired/let go this year. Old guard Blitzburgh guys

Lebeau's not getting fired. Bluster from idiot fans who want someone's head and know they won't get Tomlin. Only way he's going is if he's pushed out for Butler.

Doubt Capers is going either, FWIW

re: pass rush, they were shaping up really well earlier this year. Injuries have cut them down to size. Not sure if they'll rebound or not, they showed flashes in the 2nd half last week. But that's probably Atlanta being terrible. More worrying thing is how teams run all over them since Rodgers went down. I have no explanation for that except effort.

re: Flynn. He's better than what we had. Still not very good, but his willingness to take a hit has made him passable. The offensive line isn't helping him out much.

Normally I don't buy the injury excuse, but the Pack have had so many high picks get injured. It's amazing in its consistency.

Capers shouldn't be fired, he's had 4-3 talent in his 3-4 scheme.

That being said, he has literally fallen asleep during games.
4) J.C. Tretter (OG) -- he's a lineman.
Packers thought he would be the LT of the future before he got injured. McGinn seemed positive on him from what I remember.

squicken

There's no more Thursday games, either.

:(

I'll miss it in the summer, but I can't wait for Black Monday. Better be blood in the streets at Rams Park

Really? Maybe im still concussed but it seemed like a clear forward lateral to me in real time.

Oh I thought so too. I think they would have had an(other) officiating debacle on their hands if he would have stayed in bounds. But so close to another crazy win in an early game

RBH

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars defensive end Jeremy Mincey has struggled with accountability issues throughout the season, and they finally cost him his job.

The Jaguars released Mincey on Friday after he was late for another team meeting, according to a source close to the team. That comes nearly three weeks after he did not make the team's trip to Houston because he overslept and was late for a team meeting.

Coach Gus Bradley and general manager Dave Caldwell met with Mincey to deliver the news.

"Jeremy and I had a talk this morning, and it just felt like it was time to move forward," Bradley said. "It wasn't one particular thing that caused the reaction. I think it was just a combination of things. Jeremy's a good football player, good person, and I enjoyed my conversation with him today and I can't thank him enough for what he's done for this organization and his contribution, but we just felt like it was time to make this decision."

Mincey overslept and was late for a team meeting Nov. 23, and Bradley decided not to take him on the team's trip to face the Texans and also fined him an undisclosed amount. Mincey was inactive for the Jaguars' Dec. 1 game at Cleveland, although he did make the trip.

Mincey said he had some other minor transgressions over the past few months and that missing the Nov. 23 meeting was the tipping point for Bradley. Mincey has a 3-month-old daughter and owns a recording studio in Jacksonville, and he said he had gotten caught up with both of those things while his commitment to football slipped. He said he was grateful for Bradley's punishment because it helped him reorganize his priorities.

In March 2012, Mincey signed a four-year contract worth $20 million that included $9 million guaranteed -- an $8 million signing bonus and a $1 million salary in 2012.
He led the team in sacks in 2010 (5.0) and followed that up with the best season of his career in 2011: a team-high 8.0 sacks and team-high four forced fumbles to go along with 57 tackles.

But he had just three sacks and 41 tackles in 2012, the first year of his new deal, and 14 tackles and two sacks in eight games this season. He missed three games with a concussion in addition to the two he missed for disciplinary reasons.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10130299/jeremy-mincey-released-jacksonville-jaguars

Thank you and the rest of Packers GAF for the good info. It's a lot of injuries. Not sure how to think about it not knowing the history of those players. It does seem likely that Capers is on the way out. It's kind of odd that he, LeBeau and Haslett could all be fired/let go this year. Old guard Blitzburgh guys
Lebeau's not getting fired. Bluster from idiot fans who want someone's head and know they won't get Tomlin. Only way he's going is if he's pushed out for Butler.

As an outsider, I don't see why the Steelers would want to get rid of Lebeau. Maybe it's residual animosity for the Tebow game, in the same way I have residual animosity towards Capers for the Kaepernick read option debacle.

squicken

Aaron Ross said he took a paid vacation there. Shit teams have to always worry about that. They have to overpay for free agents and those guys just mail lit in sometimes

----

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami
Multiple NFL sources: 49ers and Harbaugh discussed several different extension ideas over the off-season, but tabled it at the time.

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami
Harbaugh and his agent expressed 1 core thought: If he's extending his deal, it will be for the NFL's top coaching salary. Otherwise, nope.

As an outsider, I don't see why the Steelers would want to get rid of Lebeau. Maybe it's residual animosity for the Tebow game, in the same way I have residual animosity towards Capers for the Kaepernick read option debacle.

Yeah, as I said idiots. There seems to be a massive disconnect between the notion that successful teams need coaching AND talent. Any bum can get 10 sacks a season or snag 8 interceptions. Lebeau's defenses have been top 10 for over a decade and top 3 for 6 years but let's fire him for somebody 'better'.
As squicken said, "Next man up" is moronic.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Let me preface my next comments by saying that LeBeau should be allowed to coach for as long as he likes.

That said, it may be time for him to go. The Steelers are going to need to use a lot of young players for the foreseeable future and LeBeau's defense isn't exactly easy to pick up. If they do switch coordinators, Butler, or whomever they bring in, needs to be able to teach a sound, fundamental defense, with a few wrinkles thrown in. Either that, or LeBeau just needs to dumb it down for the newer guys.

Frankly, for the next few years, the Steelers should go with the Packers/Broncos game plan. Admit the defense sucks and just try to outscore everybody.

Wait, do you actually work for them? In that case I'll try harder to get them.

Love some of these names btw.

I bartend for them. The German immigrants we get love our beer names. I'll try to find a picture of our Biergarten for ya

246660_437934666249791_1060867859_n-700x463.jpg

Farooq

Banned

Did Capers ever address why he kept using 2man coverage?

Milchjon

I bartend for them. The German immigrants we get love our beer names. I'll try to find a picture of our Biergarten for ya

Haha, cool!

Well, a brewpub in Munich just opened that has some of your beers on their list. It's pretty much at the opposite end of Germany, but since my brother's studying there, I might get to try them.

It's fucking sad how you have to travel literally hundreds of kilometers to get some craft beer variety here :-D

Let me preface my next comments by saying that LeBeau should be allowed to coach for as long as he likes.

That said, it may be time for him to go. The Steelers are going to need to use a lot of young players for the foreseeable future and LeBeau's defense isn't exactly easy to pick up. If they do switch coordinators, Butler, or whomever they bring in, needs to be able to teach a sound, fundamental defense, with a few wrinkles thrown in. Either that, or LeBeau just needs to dumb it down for the newer guys.

Frankly, for the next few years, the Steelers should go with the Packers/Broncos game plan. Admit the defense sucks and just try to outscore everybody.

I think that's on Tomlin, frankly. Heyward is doing fine thrown into the lineup. I get that the defense is difficult but I think that line is mainly an excuse to keep what was a championship D on the field. Hood's benching proved that they knew what they had needed improvement but Tomlin clearly didn't want to rock the boat when it was working. D is shit now so changes have to be made, and surprise the timetable to start gets cut. Defense has been coached with the idea that they had all the time in the world to develop talent, that's done.

Butler i'm sure will employ a similar defense, though i'm sure he'll be willing to get guys on the field faster.

edit: I agree with you that they need to focus on O more than D. I think Tomlin agrees if that decision to go for it on 4th and 10 deep against Miami last week is any indication.

Did Capers ever address why he kept using 2man coverage?
I don't think so, but I also don't think it mattered. That game was decided the first time Kaep went around the edge and nobody went with him. The 2nd half was rinse, repeat. We looked like the Nebraska dudes letting that make-a-wish kid score a scrimmage touchdown. I don't want to talk about it anymore!

I think that's on Tomlin, frankly. Heyward is doing fine thrown into the lineup. I get that the defense is difficult but I think that line is mainly an excuse to keep what was a championship D on the field. Hood's benching proved that they knew what they had needed improvement but Tomlin clearly didn't want to rock the boat when it was working. D is shit now so changes have to be made, and surprise the timetable to start gets cut. Defense has been coached with the idea that they had all the time in the world to develop talent, that's done.

Butler i'm sure will employ a similar defense, though i'm sure he'll be willing to get guys on the field faster.

edit: I agree with you that they need to focus on O more than D. I think Tomlin agrees if that decision to go for it on 4th and 10 deep against Miami last week is any indication.
I love Lebeau. I do think the D got old fast and the salary cap situation left us not able to sign guys we would have kept. Now we're going to turn over maybe half the starters between this season and next, and I expect another struggle unless they really hit a home run in the draft. None of this means Lebeau won't still be the coach but the question is whether he's interested in committing another 3+ years (assuming it takes at least that long) to a rebuild.

Edit: Butler is the heir apparent. Possibility that Rooney takes a complete hacksaw to the whole thing and fires everyone on the defensive side, but that's not typical Steeler behavior.

I love Lebeau. I do think the D got old fast and the salary cap situation left us not able to sign guys we would have kept. Now we're going to turn over maybe half the starters between this season and next, and I expect another struggle unless they really hit a home run in the draft. None of this means Lebeau won't still be the coach but the question is whether he's interested in committing another 3+ years (assuming it takes at least that long) to a rebuild.

Edit: Butler is the heir apparent. Possibility that Rooney takes a complete hacksaw to the whole thing and fires everyone on the defensive side, but that's not typical Steeler behavior.

Why does he need to commit?

Fox318

why do people get fake christmas trees, what is the point? the smell of it is half the point.

• Cost
  • Flame retardent
  • Don't have to deal with lights every year
  • cats won't destroy it
  • babies won't destroy it
  • Don't have to clean up needles
  • no need for any water
  • Reusable

Why does he need to commit?
Because if you're turning over half the starters, do you really want a coach who isn't interested in getting the new guys skilled up? You can say Butler is cut from Lebeau's mold so there's little chance that a DC change would disrupt a rebuild, but I'd rather have one guy saying "I know this is gonna take at least 3 years and I'm the guy who will be here to do it"

i bet you put blue christmas lights out too.
No lights. Can't stand taking them down so I dont put Em up. Though if my daughter wanted them I'd do it in a second.
Because if you're turning over half the starters, do you really want a coach who isn't interested in getting the new guys skilled up? You can say Butler is cut from Lebeau's mold so there's little chance that a DC change would disrupt a rebuild, but I'd rather have one guy saying "I know this is gonna take at least 3 years and I'm the guy who will be here to do it"
I don't see why that's a problem unless the team switches to a 4-3.

Lebeau Will coach till he drops dead anyway so it's a moot point.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Green Bay's secondary is atrocious but that's not necessarily the huge problem.

It needs to get better but it really only needs to be mediocre (which it isn't even that). What we're lacking is having a great pass rush. Typically Super Bowl winning teams have elite pass rushers, not corners. So I understand why TT hasn't spent high picks on the secondary but Nick Perry and Datone Jones haven't become quite the players they had hoped.

Man hopefully Denver can get somewhat healthy for the playoffs. Champ needs to get better soon
They definitely do. Also hope the loss will keep the team humble. My biggest fear was them buying into their own headlines. I know Peyton won't, but he isn't the whole team, and they all need to step up if they want to even win a playoff game.

Top Bottom