• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

so for the dolphins to make the playoffs, they need to win AND have the ravens and chargers also win? crazy ol AFC.... possible 8-8 team getting in while the NFC is going to have some good teams on the outside looking in.

well i guess just one good team really.... whoever it ends up being! although i'm glad the cards beat the seachickens it still makes me a little nervous because anything can happen and a guaranteed playoff spot is always what you want

Trey

The O-line was SOOOOO bad. Tannehill was on his butt all game and never got a chance to step into throws. Receivers dropping big passes. Defense did their job, but we just had no scoring or time of possession to help them out.

Defense got thoroughly abused on two drives. Bills ran at will.

rando14

So now that the seafucks are exposed who's the superb owl favorite, is it Denver!!

I'd like to joke around and say the Colts because apparently they've killed nearly all of the elite teams!!

So now that the seafucks are exposed who's the superb owl favorite, is it Denver!!

I'd like to joke around and say the Colts because apparently they've killed nearly all of the elite teams!!

don't worry. your boy florio will still have the seahawks ranked #1 in the power rankings!

@dery1051 2h

Big show tomorrow at Noon on @DSports1051. I've talked to a lot of sources tonight. #Lions fans will apparently get their wish soon.

tumblr_mj80trR9lZ1s37joxo1_250.gif

Narag

Possible if they got their offense sorted out but NE or DEN should destroy them.

Hey guys lets boo our team and help the opposing team essentially giving them a home game on the road.

#Lionsfans

Hey man don't feel bad. We do that to our teams in Philly all the time. Not everything is going to be amazeballs all the time. Yeah yeah Eagles/Philly fans, but we aren't afraid to let our displeasure be known and doing that, whilst not "kosher" is definitely a good way to let the team know they fucked up big time.

Plus it's a great way to release pent up anger and frustrations. Be bitter, be angry.

jakncoke

Banned
I wasn't paying attention earlier...

Peyton already has 51? Jesus christ. Who do they have next week... *checks* The Raiders? Jesus christ.

So, conservatively... 55 after next week? That's gonna be a tough one to reach.

In the day of you can anything on offense who knows, still really impressive though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Let's also be honest:

william-ford-sr_416x416.jpg

This fucker has got to go, too. He's been grand marshal of this shit parade for too long.

Nihon, luckily for us old man Ford doesn't run the show anymore. Ford Jr. is in charge of things and doesn't suffer from dementia like the old man. Ford Jr. is a smart man, and wants this team to succeed. He isn't Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Al Davis Jr.

I'm still very confident with the talent this team has, and in Stafford. A nice draft on the offensive side, a decent coach and we'll be back at the top of potential Super Bowl contenders.

Still though I wanted a home playoff game.

One playoff win in 50+ years. The Browns can't claim that, the Bengals can't nor can the Bills.

I understand the frustration of our fanbase. I was rocking a Charlie Batch jersey in the 6th grade. But still support your team for the love of the football Gods.

To be honest, this is one of the few times I can remember where just about every team looks so vulnerable at spots. Just look at the AFC: Denver is sputtering along with their crappy defense, New England is made of duct tape right now, Indy hasn't been the same since Reggie, Bungles are the Bungles, Kansas City's magical run is beginning to fade, and the AFC wildcard seed is basically a roll of the die.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't mean to sound like a bitter asshole guys, and yes I had a few drinks. But it seems like Lions fans were rooting for us to lose since the Week 1 OT.

Oh well the generosity of GAF has gotten me LIMBO, Dead Space (which I never played), Serious Sam, Titan Quest, World of Goo and a few others.

Never knew how awesome Steam was but I always knew how awesome GAF was. Stafford is still awesome and I was still rocking that jersey today at the bar.

Nihon, luckily for us old man Ford doesn't run the show anymore. Ford Jr. is in charge of things and doesn't suffer from dementia like the old man. Ford Jr. is a smart man, and wants this team to succeed. He isn't Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Al Davis Jr.

I'm still very confident with the talent this team has, and in Stafford. A nice draft on the offensive side, a decent coach and we'll be back at the top of potential Super Bowl contenders.

Still though I wanted a home playoff game.

One playoff win in 50+ years. The Browns can't claim that, the Bengals can't nor can the Bills.

I understand the frustration of our fanbase. I was rocking a Charlie Batch jersey in the 6th grade. But still support your team for the love of the football Gods.

Seriously breh? Stafford has so many weapons already and a solid OL, why do people keep extending this "Stafford just needs more help" meme. He has the best WR in the league, two solid RBs who can catch (three if we count Theo Riddick), two solid TEs (including one with what, 7 end zone TDs?), and a solid collection of secondary receivers. What else does he need? Plenty of young QBs are doing well with less (see: Andrew Luck, Tannehill, Cam, etc).

We need a decent CB, and I'd love a better DE. Willie Young rarely gets to the QB. More importantly we need a coach who can help drill some damn discipline into these clowns. Fairley wants to get a dumb penalty every other game? Bench him. Willie Young constantly jumping off sides? Bench him (or cut him).

And get rid of those stupid stunts from the DL. Go kill the QB and stop the run, no more bullshit.

squicken

Seriously breh? Stafford has so many weapons already and a solid OL, why do people keep extending this "Stafford just needs more help" meme. He has the best WR in the league, two solid RBs who can catch (three if we count Theo Riddick), two solid TEs (including one with what, 7 end zone TDs?), and a solid collection of secondary receivers. What else does he need? Plenty of young QBs are doing well with less (see: Andrew Luck, Tannehill, Cam, etc).

We need a decent CB, and I'd love a better DE. Willie Young rarely gets to the QB. More importantly we need a coach who can help drill some damn discipline into these clowns. Fairley wants to get a dumb penalty every other game? Bench him. Willie Young constantly jumping off sides? Bench him (or cut him).

And get rid of those stupid stunts from the DL. Go kill the QB and stop the run, no more bullshit.

Yeah I don't see how the offense isn't set. They could use a better WR2 but it's not a huge need. Issue #1 is coaching. Not just Schwartz but Linehan. They need to be able to power run a bit. Stafford needs to play more from under center and run play action more often. Brady and Manning excel at that. It's stupid NOT to employ it

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

What weapons? A hobbled Megatron? Who were our #2, #3 recievers? Remember 2011 when we had Titus Young, Nate Burleson, Tony Schelfler, Jahvid Best etc, ballin?

The media parroting our explosive offense don't know what they're talking about. Joquie Bell has been a stud no doubt. Bush was disappointing this year, but still solid at time. We have no one opposite of Megatron.

Look at all the playmakers the Saints have. Brees midget ass can look anywhere, sling it, and not have to worry about his receivers dropping the ball like we do. Our best option opposite of Megatron is Kris Durham, Staffords drinking buddy from college. You can never have to many playmakers on offense and we've lacked that since the 2011 season which not coincidentally was Staffords best season.

But I totally agree with you on the defensive line stunts. I hated that shit when I played D-end back in the day. Once or twice a game is fine. But we run it every play and all it does it delay the defensive lineman from getting to the QB and opposing teams are already trying to get rid of the ball as quick as possible against us.

Bring on a new coaching staff though. PD who is your preferred coach? I personally like Lovie Smith and MAYBE Gruden.

Gruden gets me a little nervous because he's been out of the game for so long.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The only non-divisional teams the Lions beat this year were the Browns, Washington and the Cowboys (all of which were in the first 9 weeks).

The only non-divisional teams the Lions beat last year were the Seahawks, Eagles, Rams and Jaguars (all of which were in the first 9 weeks).

Their record improvement came entirely from the collapse of the NFC North and how terribad the Vikings, Bears and Packers became. There's been no progress.

Doorman

Hey guys lets boo our team and help the opposing team essentially giving them a home game on the road.

#Lionsfans
Like I said earlier, I totally understand the fans doing it in this instance. The team looked so good to start the year off, the division was handed to us on a silver platter and it really looked like they had something strong going forward. A lot of us were starting to feel the optimism that you seem to exude all the time. And what happened? Losses, losses, losses, and more than that it's been the way they've lost.

Look at Chicago vs. Philly tonight. The Bears were completely outplayed. You could see it from the beginning of the game all the way to the end. It sucked for them and I'm sure those fans are pissed, but at least you can look at the game and just say "they were really good, we sucked, they were the better team." I can't do that with the Lions though. So, so many of the games in the back half of the season were not cases of the other team outplaying the Lions; the losses were the result of stupid mistakes, mental miscues, and extremely poor fundamental play. All stuff that, theoretically, is fixable, and never got fixed.

This year was our golden ticket to a division win and a hosted playoff game, and this team completely squandered it. How are the fans supposed to voice all of that frustration in a way that the players, the coaches, and the management will instantly understand?

"Booooooooooooooo."

If the Lions don't like it? Play the way you're supposed to. Entertain your audience.

I don't mean to sound like a bitter asshole guys, and yes I had a few drinks. But it seems like Lions fans were rooting for us to lose since the Week 1 OT.
For whatever it's worth I've never openly rooted for the team to lose. We're all fans, whether you want to label us as "real" fans in your personal vernacular or not. We're all ultimately hoping for the same team success, but perhaps doing so in different ways. I don't think it's any fairer for you to criticize the other fans than it is for those fans to criticize the team's terrible performances.

Completely agreed. If Stafford is even close to being as elite as he's paid to be, then he has more than enough at his disposal to run a capable offense. And we've seen them do it before, even during some of our losses. The problem is the turnovers, the bad decisions, and the awkward difficult throws that often result from bad decisions. Stafford's problems are still correctable...at least, they'd better be. I'm hoping for that.

The only non-divisional teams the Lions beat this year were the Browns, Washington and the Cowboys (all of which were in the first 9 weeks).

The only non-divisional teams the Lions beat last year were the Seahawks, Eagles, Rams and Jaguars (all of which were in the first 9 weeks).

Their record improvement came entirely from the collapse of the NFC North and how terribad the Vikings, Bears and Packers became. There's been no progress.

When you put it like that...

Trey

Kas, you drop Brees into the Lions' offense and they're much better than either team is currently. He'd have a better O-line, a better primary receiver, and the rest is a wash at minimum.

But the main problem is coaching; it's good you all know that. Maybe Stafford can be salvaged.

They had to be exhausted though. That's on the offense.

Offense were why you lost, but Bills got ten early and could have gotten more if Thad could throw a ball.

Dolphins just got manhandled at the line.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Completely agreed. If Stafford is even close to being as elite as he's paid to be, then he has more than enough at his disposal to run a capable offense. And we've seen them do it before, even during some of our losses. The problem is the turnovers, the bad decisions, and the awkward difficult throws that often result from bad decisions. Stafford's problems are still correctable...at least, they'd better be. I'm hoping for that.

Stafford will improve on some things, I have no doubt about that. I said it after the Monday Night loss he is going through a slump for a variety of reasons, the main being the playcalling.

The footwork can be improved over the offseason. I've seen enough of Stafford to know not only does he have talent you can't teach, but I've seen him lead our teams to the playoffs with a 41 TD to 16 INT ratio, plus 5,000 yards at 23 years old.

Even, IMO the greatest QB of all time Tom Brady, can't put up his usual stats if he doesn't have the talent around him for whatever reason.

When were you guys ever a Super Bowl contender?

When we were 6-3 right before the Steelers game, Vegas had our Super Bowl odds at 25-1.

To be honest, this is one of the few times I can remember where just about every team looks so vulnerable at spots. Just look at the AFC: Denver is sputtering along with their crappy defense, New England is made of duct tape right now, Indy hasn't been the same since Reggie, Bungles are the Bungles, Kansas City's magical run is beginning to fade, and the AFC wildcard seed is basically a roll of the die.
which is exactly why I think an 8-8 Steelers or 8-7-1 Packers (assuming Rodgers is back) could really have legit shots at making the Super Bowl. This thing is wide open

Cloudy

Banned
Stafford will improve on some things, I have no doubt about that. I said it after the Monday Night loss he is going through a slump for a variety of reasons, the main being the playcalling.

All I know is that Stafford is always in a slump anytime Megatron is banged up. Dude has been exposed badly these last few weeks

Didn't Lovie Smith throw his coaching staff under the bus to save his job? I'll pass. Not impressed by the Gruden hype either. Dude won with someone else's team and promptly disappeared. He's a slick talker who could convince a straight guy to blow him.

Ken Whisenhunt makes sense to me. His QB coach at San Diego is a former Lion, I'd bring him along too. They've fixed many kinks in Rivers' game, and I'd hope they could do the same for Stafford.

I'd also look at Bill O'Brien. Another offense guy, and he's had surprisingly success at Penn State.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
All I know is that Stafford is always in a slump anytime Megatron is banged up. Dude had been exposed badly these last few weeks

You can say that about any QB in the league. Its not a coincidence that Megatrons best seasons statistically have been with Stafford at QB.

Look at Tom Bradys stats this year without Gronk, Hernandez, Welker etc.

Who are Staffords receivers other than Megatron, who BTW has been hurt ALL year.

cajunator

Banned
One of the Saints issues is definitely inconsistency at WR. Teams can key in on just graham and sproles and the rest are too banged up or rookies to make much noise.
kenny Stills has great potential though.

Cloudy

Banned
You can say that about any QB in the league. Its not a coincidence that Megatrons best seasons statistically have been with Stafford at QB.

Look at Tom Bradys stats this year without Gronk, Hernandez, Welker etc.

Who are Staffords receivers other than Megatron, who BTW has been hurt ALL year.

I don't feel like Brady isn't so dependent on one guy. Freakin' Edelman has several 100 yd games this year!

Stafford seems to just chuck it up around Megatron all game and hope for catches. That doesn't work with the other WRs

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Matthew Stafford:

28 TDs, 19 INTs, 4,443 Yards, 83.6 RTG

Tom Brady:

24 TDs, 10 INTs, 4,221 Yards, 88.0 RTG

Stafford has gone through a slump the past few weeks no doubt, but the seasons the two have had have been close statistically and in terms of how depleted the talent around them has fared.

I'm not saying Stafford is as good as Brady but even the all time GOAT has problems without the proper talent around him.

I need to go play some TF2.

Doorman

Even, IMO the greatest QB of all time Tom Brady, can't put up his usual stats if he doesn't have the talent around him for whatever reason.

I'm a little wary about this statement. It comes uncomfortably close to the implication that Tom Brady would not have more success with this offense than Stafford's had.

As for Stafford, you can cling to his one really good year if you want to, but he's coming to the end of his fifth year in the league, and that's still the only full season that he's looked nearly as great as you keep proclaiming. One out of five years isn't a terribly great track record...or even if you wanted to say one year out of three and discount the injury-riddled first two years. I want to give him new coaches and see if they can't drill some stronger fundamentals into him, but I'm also not willing to give him another half-decade to sort his shit out because he happened to have one very good year. New coaching staff or no, he needs to show improvement in his game next season, or I fear that patience with him will run out very quickly with the fanbase.

Cloudy

Banned
Matthew Stafford:

28 TDs, 19 INTs, 4,443 Yards, 83.6 RTG

Tom Brady:

24 TDs, 10 INTs, 4,221 Yards, 88.0 RTG

Stafford has gone through a slump the past few weeks no doubt, but the seasons the two have had have been close statistically and in terms of how depleted the talent around them has fared.

I'm not saying Stafford is as good as Brady but even the all time GOAT has problems without the proper talent around him.

I need to go play some TF2.

I don't think Brady's had a very good year at all and he ain't the GOAT (Peyton is). However I bet he'd have MUCH better stats then Stafford with Megatron, 2 RBs with good hands and the mid-tier WRs

I'll give you the point about coaching/play-calling though. I don't understand why they didn't use Bush as a slot reciever today. Leaving one of your best weapons on the bench all day while #81 was hobbled is DUMB. I was at the game and Bush was just on the sidelines so anxious to get in most of the time

Mrbob

Almost makes me wish the playoff seeding was based upon records like in the NBA. You cannot tell me that Chicago and Green Bay deserve a playoff spot over Arizona, not this year.
Gotta win your division. Bears didn't make he playoffs last year despite having a better record than the NFC east winner. I won't shed a tear for Arizona.

squicken

Gotta win your division. Bears didn't make he playoffs last year despite having a better record than the NFC east winner. I won't shed a tear for Arizona.

Not really apples to apples. Chicago had 10 wins, but wasn't a better team than any playoff qualifier. AZ is better than whoever wins the NFCN. It's the same as people whining about the 7-9 Seahawks winning the NFCW a few years back.

fwiw I don't want a change, but I can also acknowledge that AZ ran into a lot of bad luck this year

I don't think Brady's had a very good year at all and he ain't the GOAT (Peyton is). However I bet he'd have MUCH better stats then Stafford with Megatron, 2 RBs with good hands and the mid-tier WRs

I'll give you the point about coaching/play-calling though. I don't understand why they didn't use Bush as a slot reciever today. Leaving one of your best weapons on the bench all day while #81 was hobbled is DUMB

Peypey might be the regular season goat, not THE goat

Mrbob

Not really apples to apples. Chicago had 10 wins, but wasn't a better team than any playoff qualifier. AZ is better than whoever wins the NFCN. It's the same as people whining about the 7-9 Seahawks winning the NFCW a few years back.

fwiw I don't want a change, but I can also acknowledge that AZ ran into a lot of bad luck this year
The last couple years have shown you just need to get into the dance and anything can happen.

I don't see how it is any different. You cant say with certainty the cards would win a road playoff game.

squicken

The last couple years have shown you just need to get into the dance and anything can happen.

I don't see how it is any different. You cant say with certainty the cards would win a road playoff game.

haha oh for sure. The playoffs are a joke as far as a method for determining who the best team in football was for any given year. But the Cards would be on my ballot for a top 5 team this season. It's a tough break they don't get the reward of the playoffs

I hope your Bears win next week, Bob. Packers need a year out of the playoffs

I'll give you the point about coaching/play-calling though. I don't understand why they didn't use Bush as a slot reciever today. Leaving one of your best weapons on the bench all day while #81 was hobbled is DUMB. I was at the game and Bush was just on the sidelines so anxious to get in most of the time

Coaching. Same reason Fauria hasn't been given more opportunities this year, despite having 7 fucking TDs. Stubborn, stupid unimaginative coaching. Same reason there was no play action today. I understand putting Bell in because he doesn't fumble as much, but why not move Bush to the slot or do...anything with him? Coaching. Linehan is just horrible. And part of it is being restricted by Stafford. Most of our plays are slants, screens, and over-the-middle passes. That's all he can do, semi accurately.

Hunter S.

All the Seahawks fans seem to be disconcerted a lot after that loss. I would not say they have lost much in terms of being favorites. Hell, after the Chargers beat the Broncos I started losing faith in the defense. Give it half a week or less and it will simmer down. I still think the Seahawks are the favorite because they are probably getting home field advantage the entire first two playoff round (knock on wood). Both of these teams have close to the best home field advantage in the league.

That and the Colts beat the Broncs at home. I do not see it being quite the same if Peyton has 56,000 fans screaming for him to win.

To answer, top dogs are still going to be Hawks and Broncos to most experts.

Mrbob

haha oh for sure. The playoffs are a joke as far as a method for determining who the best team in football was for any given year. But the Cards would be on my ballot for a top 5 team this season. It's a tough break they don't get the reward of the playoffs

Do the right thing and wear a Packers avatar friend.

If they don't get in they should only blame themselves. They lost some close games they should've won.

They have a top 5 defense but Palmer really hurts them with his turnovers. Seachickens should be embarrassed they got 4 picks and still got beat at home. No clue how that happens

squicken

Do the right thing and wear a Packers avatar friend.

Done.

If they don't get in they should only blame themselves. They lost some close games they should've won.

They have a top 5 defense but Palmer really hurts them with his turnovers. Seachickens should be embarrassed they got 4 picks and still got beat at home. No clue how that happens

c'mon. You saw how shit they were last year. That OL is still terrible. They've had a good year. Too bad all our Cards fans are gone of they could stand up for their team

Top Bottom