• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Only one more to go, Browns.

Go for the gold!

(There's a disturbing trend of Browns fans online petitioning to draft AJ McCarron. Shoot me in the face if this happens.)

Anyone have an updated potential draft order now?

I'm looking at you Wes.

Only one more to go, Browns.

Go for the gold!

(There's a disturbing trend of Browns fans online petitioning to draft AJ McCarron. Shoot me in the face if this happens.)
Stopp, I'm convinced all the people on the OBR and other Browns boards are just very old bitter men.

Edit: Kave here's the breakdown, directly stolen from a OBR post. And we're still at 5

To pass Oakland in the tiebreaker for the #4 pick we need:

-Philly to win tonight (if Chicago wins, the best we can do is a coin flip tiebreaker with Oakland if everything goes right next weekend)
-Either both KC & JAX to lose next weekend or one of them to lose + a Jets win

With a loss next weekend, we'd pick #3, #4, or #5.

With a win next weekend, we could conceivably pick anywhere between #4 and #8.

Bread

Banned
Is he even a free agent next year?

They could sign Eric Decker, or better yet, Riley Cooper!
riley cooper might not fit in here, NE racists prefer their players to be closeted like themselv nah im not going to finish this post i hate you people

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Stopp, I'm convinced all the people on the OBR and other Browns boards are just very old bitter men.

I've only been telling you this for as long as you introduced me to that cesspool.

Those bitches only want to be angry and disappointed every year. They never want to see the Browns succeed.

Hammer24

Banned

1. Houston Texans 2-13
2. St. Louis Rams** 7-8
3. Jacksonville Jaguars 4-11
4. Oakland Raiders 4-11
5. Cleveland Browns 4-11
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4-11
7. Atlanta Falcons 4-10
8. Minnesota Vikings 4-10-1
9. Buffalo Bills 6-9
10. Tennessee Titans 6-9
11. New York Giants 6-9
12. Detroit Lions 7-8
13. Pittsburgh Steelers 7-8
14. New York Jets 7-8
15. St. Louis Rams 7-8
16. Green Bay Packers 7-7-1
17. Chicago Bears 8-7
18. Baltimore Ravens 8-7
19. Dallas Cowboys 8-7
20. San Diego Chargers 8-7
21. Miami Dolphins 8-7
22. Philadelphia Eagles 9-6
23. Cincinnati Bengals 10-5
24. Cleveland Browns# 4-11
25. Arizona Cardinals 10-5
26. New Orleans Saints 10-5
27. San Francisco 49ers 10-4
28. Kansas City Chiefs 11-4
29. New England Patriots 11-4
30. Carolina Panthers 11-4
31. Denver Broncos 12-3
32. Seattle Seahawks 12-3

** from Washington
# from Indy

I'm looking at you Wes.

I'm not Wes, but I can help my shirtless brother.

ynbqQSv.png

Edit : Too late :(

njean777

Still shocked to see the Texans with that record, went from being hyped to go to the playoffs to the worst team in the NFL. How in the fuck does that even happen.

Bread

Banned
can i submit my application for official st louis bandwagoner? if it could be approved for next seaaon that would be great. me and squicken will take over the world and destroy fmt and the dreaded seachicks.

manfestival

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000302801/article/what-we-learned-43-takeaways-from-week-16

2. Tampa's offensive line is one of the worst in football. Mike Glennon had been pressured more times per-play than any quarterback in the league entering the day, and he was sacked seven times in St. Louis. Their running game was even worse, with Bobby Rainey held to 37 rushing yards on 20 carries. Tampa's entire offense was held to 170 yards on 56 plays.
One of the glaring issues the buccaneers have. However, Mike Glennon has done very well where josh could not and thats handling pressure

KingGondo

Banned

I'm looking at you Wes.
Looks like they're locked into 5th.

Jags are at Indy while the Raiders host the Broncos, so there's not any realistic prospect of them moving up. Plus, the Steelers will be desperate to win, and the game's in Pittsburgh.

Wes

venison crêpe

I'm looking at you Wes.

Nothing changed in the Top 10 pretty much except the Titans winning. Falcons could always win tonight, but I doubt it.

I think we and the Raiders are really close on strength of schedule though.

ShinAmano

So...fantasy question for fun.

I am down 17 points...he only has Vernon Davis left. I have the SF D and Frank Gore. Think I can win?

squicken

can i submit my application for official st louis bandwagoner? if it could be approved for next seaaon that would be great. me and squicken will take over the world and destroy fmt and the dreaded seachicks.

You'll want to wait until the season starts. There's going to be a civil war on the direction the team needs to take at QB

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
1. Houston Texans 2-13
2. St. Louis Rams** 7-8
3. Jacksonville Jaguars 4-11
4. Oakland Raiders 4-11
5. Cleveland Browns 4-11
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4-11
7. Atlanta Falcons 4-10
8. Minnesota Vikings 4-10-1
9. Buffalo Bills 6-9
10. Tennessee Titans 6-9
11. New York Giants 6-9
12. Detroit Lions 7-8
13. Pittsburgh Steelers 7-8
14. New York Jets 7-8
15. St. Louis Rams 7-8
16. Green Bay Packers 7-7-1
17. Chicago Bears 8-7
18. Baltimore Ravens 8-7
19. Dallas Cowboys 8-7
20. San Diego Chargers 8-7
21. Miami Dolphins 8-7
22. Philadelphia Eagles 9-6
23. Cincinnati Bengals 10-5
24. Cleveland Browns# 4-11
25. Arizona Cardinals 10-5
26. New Orleans Saints 10-5
27. San Francisco 49ers 10-4
28. Kansas City Chiefs 11-4
29. New England Patriots 11-4
30. Carolina Panthers 11-4
31. Denver Broncos 12-3
32. Seattle Seahawks 12-3

** from Washington
# from Indy

I'm not Wes, but I can help my shirtless brother.

ynbqQSv.png

Edit : Too late :(

I think it's the same. Jags and Raiders may have flipped 3 and 4 but not sure, Browns still 5th.

Kave I edited my post, but I guess technically well be tied with Oakland for 5 and 4.

Looks like they're locked into 5th.

Jags are at Indy while the Raiders host the Broncos, so there's not any realistic prospect of them moving up. Plus, the Steelers will be desperate to win, and the game's in Pittsburgh.

Nothing changed in the Top 10 pretty much except the Titans winning. Falcons could always win tonight, but I doubt it.

I think we and the Raiders are really close on strength of schedule though.

All of you are my brothers!

So looks like as long as we lose next week we'll be picking #5 at worst.

Just what we always wanted!

Greg Hardy had 3 sacks yesterday (for 11 on the season)

paythatman

Also haven't heard anything extra on Steve Smith's injury other than "not thought to be career threatening"

Bread

Banned
Time to extend Bradford, show him the trust he deserves. Draft Clowney second overall, trade Long to NE for a 7th rounder and go all offense with the rest of the picks.
Long for Mallet and a 7th, that will be our backup plan in case Sam decides to surrender his starting spot after a poor start to the season.

Dutch Patriot said:
You complete me. You can totally be my accountant.
Ok if you ever need a place to stay in the states, I'll be here to help you look for something on Craigslist.

NO! I want moar! Ideally I'd want to pass up one of the Jags or Oakland. Since they both seemingly need qbs. If we're lucky we'll get the 3rd pick and have the pick of the crop besides Houston.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Ok, I'm a bit confused as to how yesterday's results affected my 49ers. Nobody on the major sites is talking about the various scenarios so I'm guessing it is confusing them as well, or they are just waiting for tonight to come to clear things up.

It seems like yesterday was great if the 49ers want the potential to win the division and lock up a high seed (potential #1 if the panthers and hawks both lose) but also put them much more danger of not making the playoffs at all.

Does anyone know how the tie-breaker would work if the 49ers and Cardinals end up with identical records and they each beat each other once? I have a feeling the 49ers will have to win that game next week to get in.

I think this is Belichicks best coaching year by far.

Patriots continue to make the most of who's left

BALTIMORE – It’s just getting stupid now.

This season. 2011. 2010. 2008. 2007. 2004. 2003. 2001.

In a league rigged to drag everyone back to the pack, the New England Patriots do things they have no business doing to the rest of the league.

They win with guys other teams don’t want. They win with guys nobody else wanted to draft. They win with guys who then leave and don’t do jack elsewhere. They win, they win, they win.

When they lose? Hell, it’s torches and pitchforks. Lose in the conference championship – which they’ve done twice – or the Super Bowl (also twice) and the mutters and moans about changes needing to be made begin.

It will change. In due time it will. And then the slog back to mediocrity and cartwheels over potential playoff berths will be the standard. Barring catastrophe befalling either the head coach or quarterback, that’s not happening anytime soon.

Until then, they will continue to win more with less and add to a post-salary cap legacy that won’t be matched. Won’t. Be. Matched.

The Patriots offense was gutted in the offseason. Their defense was gutted when the games started to be played.

On Sunday, they walked into Baltimore – a team that’s been their perfect foil – with their left guard at left tackle, guys nobody drafted at left guard, center and right guard and a right tackle they selected in the fifth round because he came down with lymphoma in his final season in college.

Sixth-round pick at quarterback. Two undrafted wideouts. Two undrafted running backs. A fifth-round tight end whose name nobody can pronounce. An undrafted fullback. Three undrafted defensive tackles. An undrafted slot corner. A seventh-round pick at another corner. An unwanted malcontent as their shutdown corner. A whole bunch of other guys that we couldn’t find in our draft guides when the Patriots drafted them (arrogance!).

I could go on. You get the point. And they beat the hell out of the defending Super Bowl champions, ushering the Ravens to the brink of playoff elimination with a 41-7 pantsing.

I don’t know if they’re going to win a championship. I don’t know if they’ll win a playoff game. I don’t know if this is Bill Belichick’s best coaching performance. But I know that if you determined the worst of the seasons I mentioned a few paragraphs back and gave it to some other coach, he’d parlay it into an analysts spot and TV paychecks for a decade.

This season stacks up with any in terms of the Patriots having to crawl through a drain pipe full of excrement in order to reach their division title.

“Every year is special, but we’ve really earned it this year,” said Tom Brady. “The NFL has a lot of stiff competition. Winning 11 games is very hard. We have faced adversity all year. Of course, other teams have too, but our mental toughness has really gotten us through this. ... We’ve shown that we can hang together all year."

After last week’s loss at Miami, a loss that portended a return to sluggish offense, it was hard to envision it getting easier in Baltimore.

And it didn’t “get” easier. The Patriots made it through the hard part of putting the Miami loss behind and – instead of descending into questioning themselves – moved forward.

“It started first thing on Monday after the Miami game,” said Andre Carter. “Focusing on the little things and correcting and it progressed all week.”

“Coming in on the bus ride coming in here, I felt great. I knew we were gonna beat these guys,” said Rob Ninkovich. “And getting some hand gestures coming in from the fans, it’s always a good motivating thing and I was confident. I knew we had worked hard and put in the work and that’s what it’s all about, putting in the work.”

The Patriots are a tougher team than they’ve been in a few years. Physically, for sure. Maybe mentally too. The way they’ve won and the personnel losses they’ve overcome are proof of that. And it’s an identity they are embracing.

“I know no one ever calls our team physical but I think if you ask the guys that line up across from us, we got some physical guys,” said Logan Mankins. “We’re never scared to get after it. We want to run it. We want to hit you in pass protection. That’s just the way we play. We’re going to cut you, whatever it takes.

“We lost a lot of good players but it’s a team game and it still comes down to 11 guys working together,” Mankins added. “If one guy could do it all, I guess it’d be a lot easier for you. It takes everyone working together. We’ve done that most of the season pretty well but as long as we keep doing that, we have a chance.”

The 2013 Patriots have a chance. In spite of it all. And just as they always do.

All that and Ryan Mallett on the bench. Bill is the GOAT.

KingGondo

Banned

Merry Catmas!

NO! I want moar! Ideally I'd want to pass up one of the Jags or Oakland. Since they both seemingly need qbs. If we're lucky we'll get the 3rd pick and have the pick of the crop besides Houston.
I think they need to take a young guy with great physical talent who can develop and be in Cleveland for the long term.

AKA: Hundley.

Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Mettenberger, and the other QBs all have huge red flags IMO.

Draft Hundley first, then someone like Tajh Boyd or Aaron Murray in a later round.

Rex Ryan should become the next HC of the Lions.
Defense would be great, especially after shitcanning the wide nine and stunts. But he'd have to bring in a really solid OC to convince me. Stafford needs to be fixed. Rex had bad QBs with the Jets, and while he managed to win with Sanchize...the organization wasn't paying Sanchize 90mil in guaranteed money. We need Stafford to outright win games, not manage them.

I'd prefer Bill O'Brian or Ken Whisenhunt over Rex. Although I wonder if Rex is the type of guy who can bring discipline to this defense?

Bread

Banned
he turns that poop brown into something elegant, like a certain peyton hillis of yesterday.

i support your cause, dutchy.

squicken

Ok, I'm a bit confused as to how yesterday's results affected my 49ers. Nobody on the major sites is talking about the various scenarios so I'm guessing it is confusing them as well, or they are just waiting for tonight to come to clear things up.

It seems like yesterday was great if the 49ers want the potential to win the division and lock up a high seed (potential #1 if the panthers and hawks both lose) but also put them much more danger of not making the playoffs at all.

Does anyone know how the tie-breaker would work if the 49ers and Cardinals end up with identical records and they each beat each other once? I have a feeling the 49ers will have to win that game next week to get in.

I think a lot depends on how SF does tonight. Best they can do is the #2 seed but they could also completely miss the playoffs

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

San Francisco can clinch the NFC West division title and a first-round bye with:

1) two SF wins + SEA loss

San Francisco can clinch the NFC West division title and home-field advantage with:

1) two SF wins + SEA loss + CAR loss or tie

San Francisco can clinch a playoff berth with:

1) one SF win

2) SF tie this week + NO loss

3) SF tie next week

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

New Orleans can clinch the NFC South division title and a first-round bye with:

1) NO win + CAR loss

New Orleans can clinch a playoff berth with:

1) NO win

2) NO tie + SF loss or tie this week

3) NO tie + ARI loss or tie

4) ARI loss

5) two SF losses

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Arizona can clinch a playoff berth with:

1) ARI win + SF loss this week

2) ARI win + NO loss or tie

3) ARI tie + NO loss

Browns Gaf, Gilkey worked in at Guard yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if we increased his reps this weekend. He could be a starting guard for us next year. I don't think Haden will play this weekend, more reps for Poyer and McFadden. And this could be Gregors last game dropping balls for us.
I think they need to take a young guy with great physical talent who can develop and be in Cleveland for the long term.

AKA: Hundley.

Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Mettenberger, and the other QBs all have huge red flags IMO.

Draft Hundley first, then someone like Tajh Boyd or Aaron Murray in a later round.
HUGE red flags seems like a bit much, but only first round qbs I want are Bortles, Manziel, or Hundley. You seem way more sold on Hundley then anyone else though, he's for the potential but he'll need time to learn.
Edit: not against the idea of drafting two qbs though. Since Hoyer and camp is all we have and Jcamp isn't the youngest

squicken

ESPN QB Report

Nick Foles
Passer rating: 131.7
QBR: 96.4
Analysis: How sharp was Foles on Sunday night? He completed 21 of 25 attempts, and of those four incompletions, three were thrown away and one was dropped. That makes Foles the first quarterback since the start of 2008 to attempt at least 20 passes and not have at least one pass judged to have been thrown off target for an incompletion. Once again, Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles feasted on play-action (16 of 25 attempts). He completed all six of his passes that traveled more than 10 yards downfield, including five that went at least 15 yards and three of at least 21 yards.

Cam Newton
Passer rating: 81.8
QBR: 16.6
Analysis: Newton had a QBR of 3.0 Sunday against the New Orleans Saints before leading the winning drive. He completed 3 of 4 passes for 65 yards and a touchdown on that possession. Overall, however, Newton was bottled up by the Saints defense. He managed just 7 yards on three rushes, excluding kneel-downs. One of those was deemed a scramble via video analysis, gaining 2 yards, the lowest total of scramble yards in his career. He completed 1 of 5 passes and took three sacks on third downs, and somehow his Carolina Panthers became the first team in two years to win a game without converting a single third-down opportunity.

Ryan Tannehill

Passer rating: 45.6
QBR: 3.2
Analysis: Tannehill absorbed seven sacks in a shutout loss and was put under duress on eight other dropbacks. The combined sack/duress total of 15, on 34 dropbacks, translated to the most pressured game by percentage (44) that Tannehill has played in this season. He completed only 2 of 8 passes in those situations for 15 yards. He and the Miami Dolphins tried to drive the ball downfield, but all 10 of his passes that traveled more than 10 yards downfield were incomplete. It had been four years since an NFL quarterback had thrown at least that many downfield passes without a single completion. As a result, Tannehill averaged 3.0 yards per attempt, the lowest total of his career by far. His receivers dropped 11.1 percent of his passes, the NFL's highest mark of Week 16.

Matt Schaub
Passer rating: 48.9
QBR: 13.7
Briefly: Schaub didn't complete any of the eight passes he attempted while under duress Sunday. He also missed on 8 of 12 targeted passes toward receiver Andre Johnson.

Russell Wilson
Passer rating: 49.6
QBR: 11.5
Briefly: Wilson had taken five sacks in the fourth quarter all season before Sunday, when he took three more. He completed only 2 of 11 passes on third down against the Arizona Cardinals' stifling defense for a total of 27 yards.

A lot of bad QB play yesterday, or good defensive play if that is how you see it

JCizzle

Have faith in CK tonight and the Rams next week in Seattle. Either way the Cards game next week will feel like an early playoff game!

DoubleTap

I think a lot depends on how SF does tonight. Best they can do is the #2 seed but they could also completely miss the playoffs

This is why tonight is a must win for the Niners. They have to consider this one a playoff game. They Do Not want to play a hot AZ team for a playoff spot.

The division is Seattle's. There's just no freaking way they lose back to back at home.

Top Bottom