• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

KingGondo

Banned
HUGE red flags seems like a bit much, but only first round qbs I want are Bortles, Manziel, or Hundley. You seem way more sold on Hundley then anyone else though, he's for the potential but he'll need time to learn.
Edit: not against the idea of drafting two qbs though. Since Hoyer and camp is all we have and Jcamp isn't the youngest
Bortles has been unimpressive this season in spite of his physical talent (against terrible, terrible competition).

Manziel is an undersized, privileged headcase with a drinking problem coming from a spread offense.

Mettenberger will be coming off major knee surgery.

Carr has played against lackluster competition in a spread offense. He honestly reminds me quite a bit of Weeden in college.

The biggest knock on Hundley is that he "doesn't throw a great deep ball." Something tells me that having Josh Gordon and whichever WRs we draft this year to throw to will help that issue.

Doorman

Matthew Stafford
Passer rating: 53.9
QBR: 27.5
Analysis: Stafford's fourth-quarter issues continued Sunday against the New York Giants. He threw his fifth fourth-quarter interception in the past six games, although Sunday's calamity came off a tipped pass. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Stafford completed 5 of 11 passes for 39 yards, including the interception, for a 5.5 QBR. He now has a 10.6 QBR in his past six games, during which the Detroit Lions have gone 1-5. That's the second-worst mark in the NFL over that span. In his first nine games, Stafford had compiled a 90.1 QBR in the fourth quarter. Overall, Stafford has set a career high with 23 turnovers.

It's okay though! Who expects a number-one-overall-pick QB to have himself together in the first five years? Psh, that'd be ridiculous. Just you wait until he's not so young!

NO! I want moar! Ideally I'd want to pass up one of the Jags or Oakland. Since they both seemingly need qbs. If we're lucky we'll get the 3rd pick and have the pick of the crop besides Houston.

I think we'll take Clowney if we get a shot at him, if not, Barr or attempt to trade down. McGloin actually hasn't played bad for a rookie. If he was our 4th rounder people would be praising him I think. And we have so many other needs that we can take BPA.

Then again, this could be our future and I'd be kinda indifferent about it.
BcIMpo-CUAE6owG.jpg

Talamius

ESPN QB Report

Cam Newton's horrible stats

A lot of bad QB play yesterday, or good defensive play if that is how you see it

Outside of the long Deangelo run and the winning drive the offense for the Panthers was horrific. That has got to change (mainly with WRs actually catching the ball).

I was actually concerned that the fans may have stormed the field hunting Rivera after the call to punt with 2 minutes left. He admitted he did it to try to use the 2 minute warning as a timeout and it didn't work. That was one of the worst coaching calls of the season. He got bailed out by a miracle drive at the end.

This is why tonight is a must win for the Niners. They have to consider this one a playoff game. They Do Not want to play a hot AZ team for a playoff spot.

The division is Seattle's. There's just no freaking way they lose back to back at home.
Stranger things have happened, didn't think seachickens would lose yesterday, their offense simply isn't that potent, kind of like SF tbh.

Trey

Well the bucs are also like the most penalized team in the NFL. They are actually a decent team shrouded in lots of self affliction.

Then they're not a decent team. Talented but undisciplined. Football is about minimizing your mistakes while exploiting your opponent's. Can't be decent if your bad outweighs the good.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I think a lot depends on how SF does tonight. Best they can do is the #2 seed but they could also completely miss the playoffs

I don't think that is quite right. If Seattle loses (and the 9ers win both( then the 49ers win the division at 12-4. If Carolina loses they are 11-5 and best possible record for NO is 11-5. That translates to a #1 seed or am I missing something?

It's okay though! Who expects a number-one-overall-pick QB to have himself together in the first five years? Psh, that'd be ridiculous. Just you wait until he's not so young!
Combined with the fact that he's got Megatron as a safety blanket, it's ridiculous how badly syndrome has done. Jim Schwartz is done in Detroit.

Greg

MaJshV8.gif

Should have been Steelers ball on the blocked punt.

Can't wait for centralized replay.
I agree with you from what I saw yesterday, but how do they define possession/control in that case?

Steelers fans were loud and annoying at the bar and I couldn't hear the explanation

Crisco

Banned
Outside of the long Deangelo run and the winning drive the offense for the Panthers was horrific. That has got to change (mainly with WRs actually catching the ball).

I was actually concerned that the fans may have stormed the field hunting Rivera after the call to punt with 2 minutes left. He admitted he did it to try to use the 2 minute warning as a timeout and it didn't work. That was one of the worst coaching calls of the season. He got bailed out by a miracle drive at the end.

I can't believe they didn't convert a single 3rd down and got absolutely mauled in time of possession. Goes to show how little those stats actually mean at the end of the day.

squicken

I don't think that is quite right. If Seattle loses (and the 9ers win both( then the 49ers win the division at 12-4. If Carolina loses they are 11-5 and best possible record for NO is 11-5. That translates to a #1 seed or am I missing something?

Yeah my bad. If CAR and SEA lose, then SF can win both games and be the #1 seed. Doesn't seem likely that CAR loses, though. If you can not convert a single third down but win a game, then Tebow is on your side

Talamius

The 49ers could definitely get the #1 or #2 seed if seattle and carolina were to both somehow lose next week lol, but I don't see that happening.

Essentially the way it breaks down:

All Seattle has to do to get the #1 is win next week.

For SF to get the #1, they have to win out and have SEA and CAR lose in week 17.

For Carolina to get the #1, they need to win, SEA has to lose and SF has to win out. CAR and SF are the division winners and CAR gets it based on H2H.

Barring an epic choke it's still Seattle's to lose.

offtopic

Yeah my bad. If CAR and SEA lose, then SF can win both games and be the #1 seed. Doesn't seem likely that CAR loses, though. If you can not convert a single third down but win a game, then Tebow is on your side

Yeah both NO and Car have fairly easy games next week. Seattle and SF have a bigger chance to lose.

RBH

Mock Draft from Sports Illustrated:

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville.

Let’s say the Texans pass on Bridgewater (or another QB) here. Then what? There’s a possibility Jay Cutler will get to the free-agent market, where he likely will be overpaid by a desperate team. Perhaps someone will jump out for Houston in Round 2 or 3 — we’ve seen enough success later in the draft, especially recently, to possibly convince the Texans to wait. Or there’s the trade possibility: Kirk Cousins’ name will stay on the table, despite his up-and-down play in relief of Robert Griffin III.

So, there are some options. Do any of them stand out as particularly great? If not, there’s no reason to pass on what could be the very best player in this draft at a must-have position.

2. St. Louis Rams — via Washington: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.

It took Jake Long’s possible ACL injury to get me to change my tune here, from Jadeveon Clowney to an offensive lineman. Matthews might be a better prospect than his former A&M teammate, Luke Joeckel, who was drafted in this spot last April. With uncertainty at right tackle and now the possibility of a long-term rehab for Long, the Rams have to bulk up in the trenches.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina.

OK, let’s spin this the opposite direction of Houston’s choice at No. 1, because the top QB prospect already has come off the board. And this pick has Gus Bradley written all over it. Remember, he helped build Seattle’s defense with pressure off the edge and aggressive, physical cornerbacks. The Jaguars need to find both types of players, and they won’t get another chance at a player like Clowney.

4. Oakland Raiders: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA.

Slotted in Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans to Oakland last week, when the Raiders picked No. 3. He’s still on the board this time around at No. 4, so why the change?

Well, partially to mix things up a bit for discussion’s sake. But also because it has become abundantly clear over the past few weeks that the Raiders will not go anywhere without doing something about their defense. One player will not turn the tide on his own, but Barr has the still-developing skill off the edge to strike fear into opponents.

5. Cleveland Browns: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State.

Not the best impression from Carr in a bowl game loss to USC. In my mind, he’s still the No. 2 quarterback in this class, and he has just the type of game to step in and put up numbers working with Cleveland’s expanding array of offensive talent. Want him to hit Josh Gordon deep? No problem. Rather work the short game a bit? He’s done plenty of that in Fresno State’s quick-hit offense.

6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M.

With a few minor adjustments up top, Evans falls into the Buccaneers’ laps. Some might consider this too much of a luxury pick for a team that has Vincent Jackson under contract and ample needs elsewhere. But drop Evans in on this offense, with Doug Martin returning healthy in 2014, and suddenly there’s something to work with in Tampa Bay.

7. Atlanta Falcons: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan.

Note: The Falcons play Monday night, so their result could adjust the top-10 order.

The Falcons are built around their offense — one that should be much better in 2014 (even if Tony Gonzalez retires) with a healthy Julio Jones and Roddy White and a full season of Steven Jackson. Atlanta simply cannot allow Matt Ryan to continue facing the type of pressure he’s faced all season, though, and this pick would go a little ways toward relieving that situation.

8. Minnesota Vikings: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama.

The Vikings’ linebacking corps has been a mess this season, with Leslie Frazier openly admitting earlier this month that the plan last offseason never was to use Erin Henderson at MLB. That’s where the Vikings wound up, at least until Audie Cole stepped in and bumped Henderson to an OLB spot.

Cole actually has played better than most would have expected in the middle, meaning Minnesota might envision him as a contributor in 2014. The beauty of the Mosley pick, then, is that Minnesota could drop him in on the weak-side or slot him as Cole’s replacement.

9. Buffalo Bills: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo.

Until I find some dramatic reason to change this pick — either a team above the Bills has reason to bypass another position for a player like Mack or the Bills make a move to upgrade on the edge — I see no reason to switch this up. Mack had a relatively quiet bowl game … because San Diego State adjusted its entire gameplan to avoid him.

10. Tennessee Titans: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina.

Sort of throwing a dart here, because the Titans are in a bit of no man’s land. If they don’t trust Jake Locker anymore, either to get them to the playoffs or to stay healthy, then a QB (Johnny Manziel? Blake Bortles?) could be in the cards. They also could use one of those edge-rushers like Clowney or Barr — even if the latter would force them to be a little more creative defensively.

Instead, a home-run swing. Justin Hunter has been a disappointment at WR, Kenny Britt’s on his way out of town and Nate Washington has just one year left on his contract. Ebron has the potential to help offset those losses with his ability to challenge defenses at various levels, while creating mismatches against linebackers and safeties. Combining him with the versatile Delanie Walker would make Tennessee’s offense a total headache for opposing defenses.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/22/nfl-mock-draft-2014-week-16/

offtopic

Essentially the way it breaks down:

All Seattle has to do to get the #1 is win next week.

For SF to get the #1, they have to win out and have SEA and CAR lose in week 17.

For Carolina to get the #1, they need to win, SEA has to lose and SF has to win out. CAR and SF are the division winners and CAR gets it based on H2H.

Barring an epic choke it's still Seattle's to lose.

Losing one game against a good team isn't a choke. Yes, the 'hawks should win that but the Rams are no pushover and it will be their superbowl.

Talamius

Losing one game against a good team isn't a choke. Yes, the 'hawks should win that but the Rams are no pushover and it will be their superbowl.

True enough. This is why the Atlanta game scares me a bit next week. Any word on Steve Smith's knee yet?

Lets go Matty Ice.

I want the Cardinals to knock the 49ers out of the playoffs.

Cardinals are the scariest team in the playoffs if they make it.

CARDINALS BIIIIIITCH!!!

How's it going NFL bros? Just got back from a cruise so I didn't get to watch the last two games. Can't believe the crazy way the TN game went and then we have the feasting of delicious chicken. It's particularly satisfying because there were so many smug SEA fans that said we had no chance in hell of winning (not on GAF). I had to use the ESPN app for constant updates on the plane via wifi, drained the hell out of my battery but boy was it worth it. If you told me Palmer would throw 4 picks in SEA and we'd still win I'd have told you to have your head checked. I can't comment on much since I didn't get to actually watch the game but clearly our D played amazing with all the 3 and outs and sacks. Little wussle couldn't do shit! Anyway, we are even now, SEA is the only team to beat us at home this season and we the only to beat them in their house. GG SEA-GAF, you guys still head into the playoffs as a powerhouse, obviously.

It absolutely sickens me that we could potentially get 11 wins and still miss the playoffs. Fuck the NFC Least, give us their spot! Curse the Saints for losing to CAR, we were destined to take their spot in the playoffs.... Now the Saints must repent by losing to TB to give us their spot unless SF loses tonight by some miracle. I'm licking my chops at playing SF at home but feel deflated at the same time because we have to rely on another team losing. Sigh. That stupid Philly game, ugh.

ARI @ SEA
Buckethead, you forgot the Hawks game this week in the schedule (and maybe another one?)! Another great OP as usual though!

Go Cards
Chickens suck

Edit: Falcons Niners was the other game.
Fixed ;)

Doorman

Oh wow, flipped on Dery on D105.1 for the start of his show, and he's goin' in. Super salty. :jnc:

He doesn't just want Schwartz gone, he wants him out literally right now. Not gonna happen, bud, but I appreciate the passion.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Vince Williams is the ILB in base, Terrence Garvin takes over in Nickel. Steelers did this rather than weaken the D by putting Troy at ILB which they've been doing the past few weeks. ILB is going to be a major priority in the upcoming draft.

I won't be upset if the Steelers take an ilb in the draft, but I'm pinning all my hopes and dreams on Sean Spence.

e -

20131222_gav_sh5_150.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Top Bottom