• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

Hammer24

Banned

The customer reviews are golden! Thx, havem´t laughed this hard in a long time.

3sek0t1iam.gif

jman2050

Bubububububu Grantlands resident fat fuck Bill Barnwell told me that the advanced metrics show that Romo is not a choker.

I enjoy Barnwrll overall but I've been getting really sick of him quite literally making up success percentages for game situations out of thin air in his columns and then forming his entire argument around them. It's antithetical to how advanced analysis is supposed to function and is about as rigorous and insightful as random filler comments from football TV announcers. Also SSS caveats abound.

If you don't know the answer then say you don't know the answer, don't just make one up.

Dragon

Banned
Bubububububu Grantlands resident fat fuck Bill Barnwell told me that the advanced metrics show that Romo is not a choker.

Romo is a pretty good QB. This whole choking business reminds me of the idiots that talk about clutchness in baseball regarding Arod.

effzee

Romo is a pretty good QB. This whole choking business reminds me of the idiots that talk about clutchness in baseball regarding Arod.

He is a pretty good QB who is asked to carry the whole team. And when that happens and you have to win every game you are going to fuck up time to time and lose the game too.

I don't think he is an elite QB and he obviously needs help in that he needs to be told to be more careful with the ball and someone has to force the Cowboys coaches to run the ball.

AND LOL @ DEFENSE.

dionysus

Yaldog
That last 5 minute stat can still be misleading. In 5 minutes Romo is going to have to lead 2 game winning drives, not just one since the defense is going to let the other team score after his first drive.

We focus too much on the last plays of the game, which will inherently lead to more interceptions and what not because QBs have to force the ball to even have a shot of winning, and coaches have to call riskier plays.

When Romo's offense puts of 30+ points the loss can never be on him, that is how I see it. (Except of course if the opposing team scores a bunch of defensive points.)

Edit. The fuck is wrong with me defending a Dallas player, I despise Dallas and everyone who lives, works, or even travels through that city.

The Dolphins are 2 sacks away from the 1969 franchise record yet they're a respectable 8-6. I wonder how good this team could be with a functional o-line and dependable running game?

Dragon

Banned
You don't think some players play better or worse when the stakes are higher? Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco would like a word with you.

Not really no. If we're going to talk about playoff games, then stuff like sample size comes up. Joe Montana's SB numbers are amazing and probably won't ever be equaled. Do you think he rose to the occasion or he's simply one of the best QBs ever and played like it for four games?

Just look at Eli this year for an example, there are any number of other reasons that come into play with any player. They could be going through a divorce, or impregnanting seven different women at once like Cromartie. Who knows how that all affects things? It's just lazy to me to say Chokmo at this point.

Chokmo's team averages 28 points per game on the year. I'd say that's pretty good.

Wrayfield

I enjoy Barnwrll overall but I've been getting really sick of him quite literally making up success percentages for game situations out of thin air in his columns and then forming his entire argument around them. It's antithetical to how advanced analysis is supposed to function and is about as rigorous and insightful as random filler comments from football TV announcers. Also SSS caveats abound.

If you don't know the answer then say you don't know the answer, don't just make one up.

That sounds like Simmons's school of creating your own stats. Let's create a stat threshold where I add points, assists and rebounds in playoff games, and whoever is at 38 is epic, rest is not clutch. (38, or whatever number it was in his bball book, just so Larry makes it into his list.) Nothing against Bird, or that book as a whole, but I can't stomach Simmons which puts me off Grantland. Which is wrong, there are actually a few good writers there.

Bowser

Not really no. If we're going to talk about playoff games, then stuff like sample size comes up. Joe Montana's SB numbers are amazing and probably won't ever be equaled. Do you think he rose to the occasion or he's simply one of the best QBs ever and played like it for four games?

Just look at Eli this year for an example, there are any number of other reasons that come into play with any player. They could be going through a divorce, or impregnanting seven different women at once like Cromartie. Who knows how that all affects things? It's just lazy to me to say Chokmo at this point.

Chokmo's team averages 28 points per game on the year. I'd say that's pretty good.

Yeah, after 2005 Jake was one of the best playoff QBs of all time statistically:

No, all he has is the bottom line results: 18 fourth-quarter/overtime winning drives in his five full seasons (including 12 in the final two minutes), and an impressive 5-2 record in playoff games and a 95 postseason quarterback rating (better than any of the other quarterbacks who played in January).

Then Delhommageddon 2008 happened and he was never the same again :(

xuTLqDv.gif

I guess it just seems weird to me to completely ignore the fact that these players are human. Humans are physically influenced by things like stress and pressure. You think every missed free throw in a clutch moment of a basketball game was 100% determined by a player's skill? Not everyone is a consistent, emotionless robot like your boy (I use the term "boy" as part of an expression, not necessarily as an indication of gender as it obviously doesn't apply here) Brady!

Watching how humans react as the pressure and stakes are raised is one of my favorite aspects of sports. Acting like everyone out there is always consistent whether it's the SB or a backyard practice just seems willfully ignorant to me.

jman2050

I guess it just seems weird to me to completely ignore the fact that these players are human. Humans are physically influenced by things like stress and pressure. You think every missed free throw in a clutch moment of a basketball game was 100% determined by a player's skill? Not everyone is a consistent, emotionless robot like your boy (I use the term "boy" as part of an expression, not necessarily as an indication of gender as it obviously doesn't apply here) Brady!

Watching how humans react as the pressure and stakes are raised is one of my favorite aspects of sports. Acting like everyone out there is always consistent whether it's the SB or a backyard practice just seems willfully ignorant to me.

To be fair to prople not named Brady, when your only reponsibility is to mechanically follow the Belichick offensive flowchart as you stand in the comfortable pocket created by your pro bowl O-Line either chucking it to an uncoverable receiver or throwing to [insert slot receiver here] who will always be open because lol NFL rules then it's easy to approach your QB duties as an emotionless robot!

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, after 2005 Jake was one of the best playoff QBs of all time statistically:

Then Delhommageddon 2008 happened and he was never the same again :(

xuTLqDv.gif

Still a lot of Panthers fans in my area because of Jake. He was born 10 minutes from my parents house, went to school right down the street, and college where I attended. Hes a local hero.

jakncoke

Banned
Fucking FedEx

I ordered shit a couple days ago. 1 package was coming from Washington delivered from Washinton(the state) and another coming from Delaware via FexEd. Just got the package from Washington, Delaware is set to come on Saturday. wut.

Top Bottom