• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

Dragon

Banned
I guess it just seems weird to me to completely ignore the fact that these players are human. Humans are physically influenced by things like stress and pressure. You think every missed free throw in a clutch moment of a basketball game was 100% determined by a player's skill? Not everyone is a consistent, emotionless robot like your boy (I use the term "boy" as part of an expression, not necessarily as an indication of gender as it obviously doesn't apply here) Brady!

Watching how humans react as the pressure and stakes are raised is one of my favorite aspects of sports. Acting like everyone out there is always consistent whether it's the SB or a backyard practice just seems willfully ignorant to me.

These are professional athletes though. It's not the first time they've been on the big stage. If we're talking QBs, many of them have had pressure their whole lives to get to this point.

Bowser, pls.

Reported.

These are professional athletes though. It's not the first time they've been on the big stage. If we're talking QBs, many of them have had pressure their whole lives to get to this point.
I still think you're oversimplifying things. There are countless examples throughout all professional sports that seem to imply that there is more to it than pure player skill.

nate-kaeding-vs-jets.jpg

Dragon

Banned
"The Saints are going to have to do a complete 360 to get back into this game." - Chris Myers

FOX Sportscaster Chris Myers should try sticking to analyzing sports. Recently he made a blunder for the ages when he made insensitive remarks about Hurricane Katrina victims while also taking shots at illegal immigrants.

Here's what Myers had to say while filling in on the Dan Patrick Show, "My best is and maybe it's a little corny, but I like it. It's a great country here. We have disastrous issues where people pull together and help themselves and I thought the people in Tennessee, unlike and I'm not going to name names. When a natural disaster hits, people were not standing on a rooftop trying to blame the government, okay, they helped each other out through this."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dexter-rogers/fox-sports-chris-myers-ap_b_586244.html

Posted back in 2010...!

I still think you're oversimplifying things. There are countless examples throughout all professional sports that seem to imply that there is more to it than pure player skill.

nate-kaeding-vs-jets.jpg

Of course there is more than pure skill. Attitude, hard work, etc all factor into it. I just think taking a small slice of each game to judge Romo is crazy. His team averages 28 points on the year.

Judging players by small cherry picked time constraints is silly to me. Nate Kaeding simply had a piss poor day.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Of course there is more than pure skill. Attitude, hard work, etc all factor into it. I just think taking a small slice of each game to judge Romo is crazy. His team averages 28 points on the year.

Judging players by small cherry picked time constraints is silly to me. Nate Kaeding simply had a piss poor day.
The two minute drive isn't an arbitrary period of time. It's an actual game situation practiced by every QB. Romo fails at it.

Stress and pressure don't influence any professional athletes yet "attitude" does? Now that's some cherry picking!

All I'm saying is I think there is a mental component to sports. Athletes respond differently to situations where the pressure and stakes are raised, professional or not.

Dragon

Banned
The two minute drive isn't an arbitrary period of time. It's an actual game situation practiced by every QB. Romo fails at it.

Peyton Manning fails at winning playoff games (he's 9-11). Obviously that's all his fault. And that means he's a shitty QB following people's logic in here.

Stress and pressure don't influence any professional athletes yet "attitude" does? Now that's some cherry picking!

All I'm saying is I think there is a mental component to sports. Athletes respond differently to situations where the pressure and stakes are raised, professional or not.

All I'm saying is I don't agree with you :p. Not much more to say than that.

Michael Thomas and Rishard Matthews two great players that came out from nowhere.

Oh, and oatmeal:

-Sliced bananas cooking in the oatmeal
-Add vanilla whey protein powder
-Chopped pecans
-Add some dates

ALPHAS GONNA ALPHA

Romo is a pretty good QB. This whole choking business reminds me of the idiots that talk about clutchness in baseball regarding Arod.

Romo sucks, your RB is averaging 7 yards a carry and you checked out of a run when leading 36-31, and he throws an INT from that audible...

MechDX

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 8s
We knew Lovie Smith would be the #Texans first interview. Per @markbermanfox26 and @mcclain_on_nfl, that interview has happened.

So the Texans finally started interviewing. With Lovie interviewed Rooney Rule fulfilled now bring in Bill O'Brien! Need to be done by first week after season ends IMO.

Dragon

Banned
Romo sucks, your RB is averaging 7 yards a carry and you checked out of a run when leading 36-31, and he throws an INT from that audible...

I didn't realize Romo made Jason Garrett only call 8 running plays in the second half.

Not a Cowboys fan at all, just think he gets shit on unnecessarily.

He's a shitty QB when you want to win playoff games!

His playoff stats are fine, perhaps his teams have never been well-rounded?

Tom Penny

Coaching lost the last Dallas game not Romo. Basic football strategy wins that game AKA we are winning by a lot and our D sucks so run it...and they never did it in the 2nd half.

bionic77

Peyton Manning fails at winning playoff games (he's 9-11). Obviously that's all his fault. And that means he's a shitty QB following people's logic in here.

All I'm saying is I don't agree with you :p. Not much more to say than that.
Manning is a known choker though.

Still the best qb of this generation but it's still true of him. Would rather take a lot of other qbs in the postseason, like pre 2013 Eli Manning.

ShaneB

It can get a little boring but I treat food as fuel pretty much now. The higher quality the better for you. I can go a little crazy on the weekends though lol.

Nah, it's all good, I'm the same way. My grocery shopping is pretty much a routine now picking up the same things every time. Right now my lunch is chicken breast, sweet potatoe, and broccoli.

http://m.stltoday.com/sports/column...tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter?mobile_touch=true

Bernie: Quinn deserves Defensive Player of Year

1 hour ago • Bernie Miklasz bjmiklasz@post-dispatch.com

I really did laugh out loud Wednesday when I saw that Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman was chosen as the NFC Defensive Player of the Week over Rams' defensive end Robert Quinn.

Sherman received the honor after making two interceptions and breaking up three other passes as the Seahawks shut out quarterback Eli Manning and the NY Giants.

Sherman is a great corner, and he obviously had an outstanding game in New Jersey on Sunday.

But picking off Manning doesn't exactly rate as a rare and unique achievement these days. Eli been intercepted by roughly half of the nation's population this season. OK, so that's a slight exaggeration, but he's been intercepted 25 times.

Sherman and the Seahawks did what you're supposed to do when you have the best team in the NFC: go beat up on a mediocre, demoralized opponent and their struggling QB. Make easy work of it.

What Quinn did in Sunday's win over New Orleans amounted to one of the best individual defensive performances I've seen in a long time.

Quinn led the Rams to a stunning 11-point upset in a variety of ways.

Quinn had two sacks.

He had four solo tackles.

He pressured Saints quarterback Drew Brees into the interception that set up the Rams' first touchdown for instant momentum. That changed the game ... immediately.

In addition to the two sacks Quinn had one hit and seven hurries for a total of 10 quarterback pressures.

Quinn forced two fumbles but was only credited with one. He recovered one of the fumbles.

Quinn has become so stout against the run that the Saints avoided his side of the field when trying to advance the football on the ground. They directed only one rushing attempt at Quinn. But his range was so vast that he made a couple of run-game tackles out of his area.

Quinn also drew a penalty and embarrassed the Saints' left offensive tackle Charles Brown to the point of surrender. New Orleans coach Sean Payton benched the OT in the third quarter. And Payton will keep Brown benched for Sunday's crucial game at Carolina, opting to start rookie Terron Armstead at LT.

With Quinn wrecking the New Orleans offense, the Rams jolted a 10-win team that entered the game as a 7.5-point favorite.

I guess I'm silly, but I think that's more impressive than disposing of the demoralized and feckless NY Giants.

But I also bring up this absurd snub of Quinn for a reason.

I don't believe an NFL defensive player is having a better season than Quinn. But Quinn plays for a team with a 6-8 record. And when a dominating player is doing it for a losing team, there's a tendency to overlook him.

That was clearly the case in the NFC Defensive Player of the Week voting.

The Rams play Tampa Bay on Sunday and we can be certain of this: the Buccaneers aren't overlooking Quinn. Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano compared Quinn to NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor. That's one helluva compliment.

Schiano told the Tampa Bay media that Quinn is “as good as tomahawk chopping the backside of the quarterback as there is. You haven’t seen a guy do it with that effectiveness since L.T. … L.T. used to knock that ball out with a vicious tomahawk chop. He’s bringing it that way. I mean, seven forced fumbles? Think about that. That’s a lot of forced fumbles in 14 games.’’

Tampa Bay offensive tackle Donald Penn will go against Quinn this week. Penn has allowed eight sacks, four quarterback hits and 27 hurries.

According to Pro Football Focus, he ranks 45th in pass protection among the 62 offensive tackles that have played at least 50 percent of the snaps this year.

“Are you going to stop Quinn? No,’’ Schiano told reporters. “But you have to at least don’t let him take over the game.”

Quinn is the NFL's best 4-3 defensive end this season; no one else is close to him. (More on that later in this piece.) Quinn is a strong contender for NFL Defensive Player of the Year but I wonder if he'll lose votes because he isn't destroying offenses on behalf of a playoff-bound team.

You could say the same about Houston 3-4 defensive end J.J. Watt, who is having another exceptional season. But the Texans are the worst team in the league this season, and that will lead to Watt being unfairly downgraded in the voting.

Penalizing a great player because his teammates and coaches aren't good enough is one of the most idiotic aspects of awards voting. But it happens all of the time, and in every sport.

And Quinn could get shafted because of this frontrunner mentality that focuses on winning teams, playoff teams.

How much better is Quinn than all of the players at his position this season? Again, we're talking about 4-3 alignment defensive ends here.

And I went to my favorite football-analysis site, Pro Football Focus, to come up with the numbers that affirm Quinn's almost comical dominance at the position.

Here we go:

* Quinn's overall grade for the season is a plus 66.5, which ranks No. 1 at his position. The next best 4-3 defensive end, Miami's Cameron Wake, grades out at 26.4. Yes, that is correct: Quinn's season grade is more than two times better than the second guy in the rankings.

* Quinn's pass-rush grade (plus 52.5) is No. 1 at the position and is more than two times better than the second player in the rankings.

* Quinn leads all 4-3 defensive ends in pass-rush production, pressures (83), sacks (15), QB hits (20), hurries (48) and forced fumbles (7.)

* Among all players (any position) Quinn leads the NFL in forced fumbles, is second in sacks and is building a large lead among all players in total QB pressures.

* Here's the bonus: Quinn ranks fourth in the NFL in effective run defense among 4-3 defensive ends.

Are you kidding me? It is true. The same intimidating defensive end who's having one of the best pass-rush seasons I've ever seen is also ridiculously difficult to run against. Aren't pass-rush demons supposed to be one-dimensional, one-trick players? This isn't fair.

And it won't be fair if Quinn is denied the recognition that he deserves.

Draft Clowney. Trade Long.

jakncoke

Banned
Funny, because I just read last night that Fage yogurt is genetically modified. There's a brand of yogurt that isn't; don't remember the name, but it has a picture of a kangaroo on it. Gonna start getting that.

I bet it still tastes terrible even if it doesnt produced all the acidic bi-product!

Nah, it's all good, I'm the same way. My grocery shopping is pretty much a routine now picking up the same things every time. Right now my lunch is chicken breast, sweet potatoe, and broccoli.

Same here. My lunch at work is always a chicken breast, broccoli, and maybe some green beans. Its nice having my grocery bill be the same pretty much every week. I try to eat a shit ton of cottage cheese as well.

Also greek yogurt is awesome. I don't know how people don't like it.

ShaneB

Same here. My lunch at work is always a chicken breast, broccoli, and maybe some green beans. Its nice having my grocery bill be the same pretty much every week. I try to eat a shit ton of cottage cheese as well.

Also greek yogurt is awesome. I don't know how people don't like it.

Yeah, I grocery shop twice a week and it generally ends up always being the same price. It's why I can't stand grocery shopping with anyone, I'm in and out so quick usually, I can't stand when people are in there wandering the aisles wondering what to get, taking their time, etc etc. lol

bionic77

You can program and you said you make 100k a year for the devil so you're at least smarter than gata and richer than snes. Thats something.
Pretty sure you could make 10k a year and make more than Gata and SNES combined over 5 years.

And any animal smarter than a dog is smarter than Gata.

Dragon

Banned
Pretty sure you could make 10k a year and make more than Gata and SNES combined over 5 years.

And any animal smarter than a dog is smarter than Gata.

I'd also add you don't have to be smart to be a programmer. You just have to be persistent. It's how I woo women. I'm just so annoying that eventually they just say hey why not to shut me up.

I take the regular flavors! Fuck greek yogurt cant get over that bite. And no matter what fruit flavor there was always that bite underneath the fruit.

Don't you enjoy whiskey? How can you complain about bite?

Yeah, I grocery shop twice a week and it generally ends up always being the same price. It's why I can't stand grocery shopping with anyone, I'm in and out so quick usually, I can't stand when people are in there wandering the aisles wondering what to get, taking their time, etc etc. lol

Yup it takes me like ten minutes at the most, and I'm usually going around the outside of the grocery stores, usually not through the aisles so its even quicker.

I'd also add you don't have to be smart to be a programmer. You just have to be persistent.

I can confirm this is pretty true.

Top Bottom