• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

rando14

Heh, it's probably in my top five of all time.

I think the whole difficulty thing is a pretty big misconception with DS. The game is tough, yes, but more than that it's demanding of the player in a very unique way. It isn't all about dexterity like with Ninja Gaiden or many other third person character action games, but instead it's about playing patiently and learning how the game works. A lot of times the reason you're dying isn't because of raw difficulty, it's because you aren't slowing down and thinking about what the game is throwing at you. It requires deliberate and well-thought out actions, and because of that it's incredibly rewarding when you finally overcome the challenge in front of you.

On top of that the level design in the game is simply phenomenal (with a few exceptions). The entire world is connected and intertwined, almost like a 2D Zelda game, but there is very little hand-holding, it's up to you to discover where to go and what to do. As you play you'll continuously open up shortcuts that reveal more and more how the world is connected, and a lot of times it'll blow your mind when you first see it.

I could go on and on. An incredible combat system, solid RPG mechanics, innovative multiplayer features, and some of the best boss fights in gaming are all on display here. It's just a fantastic experience from start to finish but I will admit that it's very demanding and not for everyone.

Hell yeah brother, you gaming taste is top notch!! Have you played Demons souls? I started it a week ago and am really enjoying it, I can definitely tell its the precursor to Dark Souls though hahaha!!

Hell yeah brother, you gaming taste is top notch!! Have you played Demons souls? I started it a week ago and am really enjoying it, I can definitely tell its the precursor to Dark Souls though hahaha!!
Yeah man, I love Demon's Souls! I prefer Dark Souls between the two but Demon's has some really cool levels and bosses. I'm looking forward to DSII but I'd be surprised if it somehow surpasses the first for me.

I don't get the Souls love either.

yeah played it for a couple hours, never touched it again.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/20/2014-nfl-mock-draft-pre-bowl-game-edition/#sthash.FwCAEGGS.uxfs

Jason McIntyre of the Big Lead has a mock draft up. It's kind of weird, but he says the NFL people he has talked to aren't nearly as high on Carr and Bortles as the dratnik community.

heard the same about Teddy as well. who knows though. should know more come draft time.

gutshot

Fun fact: AnnaSophia Robb was a favorite of George R. R. Martin's to take the role of Daenerys Targaryen early on in the casting process.

ShaneB

Am I wrong for not getting the appeal of Dark Souls?

I guess I'm part of the problem. I played Demon's Souls and did finish it, but when I played Dark Souls, it just never clicked. I just don't care for a game to be so obtuse anymore. I don't want handholding, but I just wanted to love the game in the game. The only reason the OTs are so massive for the games because every other post is asking "What does this do?!?" "What do I do here?!" "Should I do this or this?!" BAH!

I guess I'm part of the problem. I played Demon's Souls and did finish it, but when I played Dark Souls, it just never clicked. I just don't care for a game to be so obtuse anymore. I don't want handholding, but I just wanted to love the game in the game. The only reason the OTs are so massive for the games because every other post is asking "What does this do?!?" "What do I do here?!" "Should I do this or this?!" BAH!
That's a very fair criticism. I spent a lot of time on the wiki during my time with the game.

rando14

I'm going to start Demon Souls after I finish sleeping through FFXIII, I'm about 90% sure I'll love it.

Throw 13 in the trash breh, DS is so much better!!

I've been a FF fan for so many years and 13 was the first one I couldn't finish. I tried 13-2 for like a couple hours and it was pretty garbo as well :(

I don't get the Souls love either.

I played Demon Souls and made it through 15 minutes before I returned it for a full refund.

I have Dark Souls on Steam but I'm not sure I'll ever give it a proper go. I don't have the time/patience any more for that type of frustrating challenge in a game. And that's coming from a guy who beat The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Castlevania, and Ghosts N' Goblins on the NES. I also beat Contra but that was with the cheat code.
Don't play that game.
Or this one.
And certainly not this one.

I never beat Battle Toads, though. Even young me recognized it was bullcrap.

Am I wrong for not getting the appeal of Dark Souls?
Yes.

I don't get the complaints about the difficulty either personally. The Souls games are certainly tough but hardly as tough as they are made out to be and nowhere near some of the games in that list. I don't think there is a series as "fair" to the player as Dark Souls. It punishes you for being stupid and lacking patience. Which I think is pretty fair.

I do agree with the criticism about it being obtuse and not explaining its systems more readily to the player but I sort of liked that about it. I spent time online looking up formulas for creating weapons mostly and to figure out the Covenant system which is the most obtuse thing in the game but everything else clicked for me as I played.

rando14

I played Demon Souls and made it through 15 minutes before I returned it for a full refund.

I have Dark Souls on Steam but I'm not sure I'll ever give it a proper go. I don't have the time/patience any more for that type of frustrating challenge in a game. And that's coming from a guy who beat The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Castlevania, and Ghosts N' Goblins on the NES. I also beat Contra but that was with the cheat code.
Don't play that game.
Or this one.
And certainly not this one.

I never beat Battle Toads, though. Even young me recognized it was bullcrap.

How did you beat Bayou Billy, that game was ridiculous. Fucking 5-minute long driving levels!! :(

ShaneB

That's a very fair criticism. I spent a lot of time on the wiki during my time with the game.

Exactly, which is fine for some people, but I just didn't care to feel like I had to constantly wonder what the hell was going on. ah well, my opinion is bias anyway since I barely play games. I'm trying to think of a 2013 GOTY and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Also, Bayou Bill is great, kick ass music!

rando14

Yes.

I don't get the complaints about the difficulty personally. The Souls games are certainly tough but hardly as tough as they are made out to be. I don't think there is a series as "fair" to the player as Dark Souls. It punishes you for being stupid and lacking patience. Which I think is pretty fair.

I do agree with the criticism about it being obtuse and not explaining its systems more readily to the player but I sort of liked that about it. I spent time online looking up formulas for creating weapons mostly and to figure out the Covenant system which is the most obtuse thing in the game but everything else clicked for me as I played.

excellent points, I usesd the wiki most for story and the Covenants. Not sure how you're supposed to know the discrete differences between a lot of Covenants without it lol!!

I'm about half way done but I might stop, it's sooo boring.

Yeah dude it felt like a movie to me, with a lot of running down narrow corridors and really unlikeable characters. Battle system was ok I guess.

excellent points, I usesd the wiki most for story and the Covenants. Not sure how you're supposed to know the discrete differences between a lot of Covenants without it lol!!

Yeah dude it felt like a movie to me, with a lot of running down narrow corridors and really unlikeable characters. Battle system was ok I guess.

I think the battle system is terrible, you can just spam x for most battles, I've had one boss fight where I actually had to try different things to beat him, everything else is just press x>walk>cut-scene over and over. The battle system for FFXII was so much better, I really hope they port that one over to Vita.

Trey

Am I wrong for not getting the appeal of Dark Souls? Gaming side worships it, but it seems to me that they only like it because its so hardcore. It lets them say IM A REAL GAMER, FUCK THAT CALLADOODY NOISE.

Is there actually anything to it other than just being balls hard?

It's not balls hard for one. It just doesn't hold your hand like most modern games. That's a lot of the appeal of the game for many people, so you're partially correct.

It has a pretty interesting aesthetic. Draws on a lot of medieval tropes.

Its combat is competent, asking players to mind their surroundings and know the strength of their weapons, of which there is a decent selection. A variety of enemies keeps things fresh.

Attractive RPG systems; has all the advantages and disadvantages of games with them.

No other game quite like it on the market. It's unique.

Most of my problems with the franchise (terrible framerate and mediocre IQ) were ameliorated somewhat on PC. I like the game.

Dragon

Banned
I think the battle system is terrible, you can just spam x for most battles, I've had one boss fight where I actually had to try different things to beat him, everything else is just press x>walk>cut-scene over and over. The battle system for FFXII was so much better, I really hope they port that one over to Vita.

It's funny, X has a lot of the same issues, the battle system is better though and the characters are LOL-worthy. At least Auron is pretty awesome and Seymour Guado is hilarious.

It's funny, X has a lot of the same issues, the battle system is better though and the characters are LOL-worthy. At least Auron is pretty awesome and Seymour Guado is hilarious.

I never actually finished X, I watched my friend play most of it so I never really felt like playing it myself, I might give it another go on the Vita though,

Edit: Grimes/Carroll are probable for sunday!!!

effzee

On the radio earlier today heard some interesting scenarios.

The Sunday night game could be meaningless for both the Eagles and Bears.

If the Cowboys win their game against the Redskins, it won't matter what the Eagles do. Should they rest any starters?

If the Packers win and Lions lose, the Bears have nothing to play for. Their fate will be decided the following week in the head to head match up against the Packers.

NBC would love it both the Eagles and Bears rest their starters.

squicken

If the Cowboys win their game against the Redskins, it won't matter what the Eagles do. Should they rest any starters?

If the Packers win and Lions lose, the Bears have nothing to play for. Their fate will be decided the following week in the head to head match up against the Packers.

For the Eagles, besides working the backup RBs in more, I can't see many changes. No reason for Chip to start any potential trouble by playing Vick

For Chicago, maybe they rest Marshall, but Cutler plays. As far as their defense I have no idea what the difference is between a starter and a backup there

Packers win, lol.

Don't have to worry about this one, duder. Ben is going to do unspeakable things to our defense.

We're counting on you guys to beat the Bears, backups or not!

What if this whole Rodgers injury is just a cover for a PED suspension of one of the NFL's poster boys? It's not like he hasn't been tied to a user

Draxal

Yes.

I don't get the complaints about the difficulty either personally. The Souls games are certainly tough but hardly as tough as they are made out to be and nowhere near some of the games in that list. I don't think there is a series as "fair" to the player as Dark Souls. It punishes you for being stupid and lacking patience. Which I think is pretty fair.

The world didn't click for me, and if a world doesn't click for me I'm not going to bother learning a comple game engine.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Giving Woodley a post-June 1 designation or waiting until after June 1 is the likely approach if he is released. Woodley's cap number is $13.59 million next year while the Steelers would have a $14.17 million cap charge for him in 2014 by cutting ties with him before June 2. The Steelers would gain $8 million of cap room in 2014 with post-June 1 treatment. There would be an $8.58 million cap charge relating to Woodley in 2015 under this scenario.

I take it all back. Bye Woodley.
:(

e - Reading that entire thing makes me think that if Ben will restructure to a less ludicrous contract, Woodley and Ike are cut and Troy takes a paycut, the Steelers will be flush with cash.

effzee

For the Eagles, besides working the backup RBs in more, I can't see many changes. No reason for Chip to start any potential trouble by playing Vick

For Chicago, maybe they rest Marshall, but Cutler plays. As far as their defense I have no idea what the difference is between a starter and a backup there

Eagles could play Vick and he could play lights out and still wouldn't be an issue. But I wouldn't want him to play only because if they do make the playoffs I want Vick 100% as the back up. Worst case scenario, Eagles go into SNF with nothing to play for, start Vick, he gets hurt, and then if they end up making the playoffs Barkley has to come in due to injury to Foles.

They could start Barkley against the Bears to throw him a bone. Go into the game with Barkley and Casey as his back up QB.

I would like to see a lot of the depth guys across the board get more play time.

But I really don't think the Eagles will rest anyone even if this scenario comes up.

Syrinx

I'd like to play Dark Souls sometime, but the things that get said about it on gaming side make it hard to really evaluate it. Some guy in that game pausing thread said that you need to "give your life" to the game, or else it's not for you. I was like "No".

Striker

Lions lose? lol

Cruz, JPP, and Hillis are out. May not even see Diehl and Brewer, so they would be forced to start more backups in Brandon Mosley and Dallas Reynolds. Jerrel Jernigan is also questionable, and he's suppose to be the slot guy now that Cruz is out.

I'd expect a 31-3 game or something.

Top Bottom