• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

DMczaf

Fun fact: AnnaSophia Robb was a favorite of George R. R. Martin's to take the role of Daenerys Targaryen early on in the casting process.

imShWB0rsLVeJ.gif

CBS has an article on the top three teams in the worst 2014 cap situation. Cap issues can largely be helped over time and are somewhat of an illusion with all of the moving around that can be done with money. Still, worth a read:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-salary-caps-cowboys-saints-steelers-lead-way

The teams are:

1. Cowboys

It shouldn't be a surprise that the Cowboys have an NFL-high $152.7 million in cap obligations for 2014. The Cowboys are usually at the top of the list for future cap commitments toward the end of each season.

Quarterback Tony Romo has the NFL's largest cap number in 2014 at $21.773 million. The Cowboys built some cap flexibility into the six-year, $108 million contract extension (with $55 million in guarantees) Romo signed during the offseason because the deal gives them the discretionary right to convert a portion of his base salary into signing bonus. Most of the lucrative deals the Cowboys have signed in recent years also contain this clause, which allows them to automatically create cap room. They can add $10.036 million of cap room by converting $12.545 million of Romo's fully guaranteed $13.5 million 2014 base salary into signing bonus. Romo's 2014 cap number would drop to $11.737 million.

2. Saints

The Saints can make significant headway with their cap situation by releasing 32-year-old Will Smith, who is missing the season with a torn ACL. His release will take $11.55 million off the books. Safety Roman Harper was a rumored cap casualty in the offseason and $2.18 million of cap space will be created if the Saints part ways with him before his $650,000 roster bonus is due on the third day of the league year (March 13). An increased role for Khiry Robinson in the Saints' running back rotation could allow for the release of Mark Ingram or Pierre Thomas. The Saints would gain almost $1.4 million from Ingram's departure while letting Thomas go would create $2.9 million of room.

3. Steelers

Pittsburgh's cap is top-heavy. They have five cap numbers over $10 million ($67.13 million total) which account for a little more than half (52.5 percent) of their adjusted salary cap.

Releasing offensive tackle Levi Brown, acquired from the Arizona Cardinals for a conditional 2014 draft choice in Week 5 this season, will create $6.25 million of cap room. Restructuring the contracts of inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons and wide receiver Antonio Brown will free up almost $8 million of cap space combined if their entire 2014 salaries except for their league minimums are converted into signing bonus.

The Steelers might have to make some difficult decisions with mainstays of the defense. Troy Polamalu is no longer in the discussion of the NFL's best safety but he will have the NFL's highest cap number for the position during 2014 at almost $11 million in the final year of a three-year, $29.6 million contract extension. The Steelers will pick up $8.25 million of cap room if he is let go. Ike Taylor is also entering the final year of his contract. The 33-year-old is a bottom-tier cornerback, according to Pro Football Focus' rankings, and $7 million of cap space will be gained with his release. Pay cuts could also be options for both players.

I'm surprised we are in good CAP shape considering moneybag Wallace, I think we'll have around 28 Million to play with, hopefully with a big chunk going to an Oline.

Farooq

Banned
Why are you Eagles fans so worried about making the playoffs in Week 16?

Have you seen the state of the Cowboys defense?

MRSA

Banned
You guys need to lay off my bro Gata. He might not be the sharpest or the brightest, but he is..........well he's almost useless.

JABEE

Why are you Eagles fans so worried about making the playoffs in Week 16?

Have you seen the state of the Cowboys defense?

It's called being an Eagles fan. Nothing is ever certain.

My favorite part of this gif is Michael Vick's reaction to Donovan McNabb's stupidity.

I wouldn't mess with Kave, he's black, a cat and thus as temperamental as a woman, and a Browns fan.

I haven't seen a more lethal combination since the one that killed the Joker.

JABEE

I wouldn't mess with Kave, he's black, a cat and thus as temperamental as a woman, and a Browns fan.

I haven't seen a more lethal combination since the one that killed the Joker.

You left out him being a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. The poor Kitty can be as angry at Gata as he wants.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
When you revert back to being a proud Jaguars fan. So, whenever they win* a Superbowl*. I will miss Chan.

To be fair, gata will bandwagon even questionable Super Bowl wins! In fact, he's more likely to pull for the Jaguars if they cheat!

Top Bottom