• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

cajunator

Banned
By the way, Shango of thedallascowboyshow started making videos again. Glad to see him back. He knows his shit. I think this season hes had enough though.

Milchjon

Got a solid hour or so of sleep in there.

Today's gonna be... fun.

Bizarre Foods is one of my favorites. I've also been watching Fresh off the Boat with Eddie Huang online which is a little bit different since they focus a little bit more on the culture and Eddie's personality can be a turnoff for some people.

My biggest problem with Bizarre Foods is the bizarre foods :-D They can be quite the turnoff. The dude's good, though.

MRSA

Banned
Got a solid hour or so of sleep in there.

Today's gonna be... fun.

My biggest problem with Bizarre Foods is the bizarre foods :-D They can be quite the turnoff. The dude's good, though.

I liked how he Cambodians tricked him into eating some old ass duck fetus eggs.

Fantomex

alright yall i need a new rog/adventure game. Im on a hot streak. Went from Shadow of the colossus---Ni No Kuni-----Windwaker Hd--- Any suggestions? Im thinking Fire Emblem Awakenings. I have Tales of Vesperia but have no clue had to juggle combo enemies in battle with the commands.

Hope Ha Ha drops to the Paycurrs.

Bullough will be a AJ Hawk type player, smart, gap sound, assignment sure, but never make those game changing plays.

squicken

Hope Ha Ha drops to the Paycurrs.

Bullough will be a AJ Hawk type player, smart, gap sound, assignment sure, but never make those game changing plays.

It's good to have try hard Big 10 smart guy LBs on the field, but you better have actually good players on either side of them. Lauranitis never makes any plays but he's smart at getting them in the right formations and what-not. They miss having a non-moron in the secondary this year. Might be market for some Clinton Dix as well

It's good to have try hard Big 10 smart guy LBs on the field, but you better have actually good players on either side of them.
Yep, precisely why I wouldn't want Bullough. Although I don't think he'll get much attention so he might be a late round steal.

Also Lewan's been getting worse every year. I bet someone gambles on him and loses.

squicken

Also Lewan's been getting worse every year. I bet someone gambles on him and loses.

I don't want he or Matthews. I don't think you draft "nice" LTs in the top 5. That's where you get Orlando Pace and Walter Jones types. If they aren't in the draft then circle back later. Really curious to see how Robinson tests.

Sanjuro

I love the snow even when it tries to kill me when Im driving. Its just weird when its 60 and raining during the Christmas time.

I'm a snow driving master. Still, I only like flurries anymore. Love the cold weather though. I wish it was always 20-40 degrees.

I don't want he or Matthews. I don't think you draft "nice" LTs in the top 5. That's where you get Orlando Pace and Walter Jones types. If they aren't in the draft then circle back later. Really curious to see how Robinson tests.
What do you mean by "nice"? Lewan is a prolific asshole.

squicken

An Unexpected Journey is pretty good. I enjoyed as much as I did the last 2 LotR movies. Might go see Smaug over the holidays with the family but I'm not sure I want to sit in a theater for 4 hours

What do you mean by "nice"? Lewan is a prolific asshole.

haha that's not always bad for an offensive linemen, but I meant as far as high end ability. Seems like he'd top out at Pro Bowl and not All Pro

Don't know where to ask this on Neogaf so I figured I would ask here:

Brady or Cutler for FF finals?

Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace?

Alfred Morris or Todman?

Thanks in advance (all PPR and standard Yahoo scording).

squicken

Don't know where to ask this on Neogaf so I figured I would ask here:

Brady or Cutler for FF finals?

Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace?

Alfred Morris or Todman?

).

Definitely Cutler. Ravens have a good defense and CHI scores points.

I'd go Jennings. MIN has scored the 6th most offensive TDs this year, and Cassell is their best QB. He targets Jennings above all other WRs there

I guess Morris. Dallas defense sucks but WAS RB usage is weird

Definitely Cutler. Ravens have a good defense and CHI scores points.

I'd go Jennings. MIN has scored the 6th most offensive TDs this year, and Cassell is their best QB. He targets Jennings above all other WRs there

I guess Morris. Dallas defense sucks but WAS RB usage is weird

Thank you! I know Brady sucks against Baltimore usually fantasy wise, but the Bears-Eagles game is supposed to wet and windy. I still think Cutler is the way to go. Also, Cassell loves him some Jennings.

looks like the niners billboard went up in seattle:

wlp2xl.jpg

2e5uxx4.jpg

the billboard is cool the the seahawks do have one superbowl ring (they won the superbowl in feb 2014). still, the sign does say ringS, so it's still true!

also another lulz

1525612_792092317483206_1325131239_n.jpg

edit-

man fuck tinypic! look it up yourselves you monsters. go niners and cards!

alright yall i need a new rog/adventure game. Im on a hot streak. Went from Shadow of the colossus---Ni No Kuni-----Windwaker Hd--- Any suggestions? Im thinking Fire Emblem Awakenings. I have Tales of Vesperia but have no clue had to juggle combo enemies in battle with the commands.

I beat ToV without ever learning the combo shit.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a better game though.

squicken

How good are the Panthers?

So why are the Panthers averaging one more point per game in 2013? The two biggest reasons for the team’s “improvement” in points scored have nothing to do with the offense. Carolina went 1/3 on 50+ yard field goals in 2012, but Graham Gano is a sparkling 6/6 this season, and those 15 additional points in 14 games explains the entirety of the on-paper improvement. The reason the Panthers haven’t declined in points this year is because their average field position has improved from 8th-worst to 4th best, netting them an additional five more yards per drive.
---
The big change in the pass defense is in the interception numbers and in the red zone. Last year, Carolina intercepted just 2% of all passes, putting them as the 7th worst team in the league; this year, Carolina has improved its interception rate to 3.6%, good enough for 7th best. A year ago, the Panthers were 17th in red zone defense; this year, they’re 3rd, which is a great way to improve your points allowed numbers. And after allowing 10 4th down conversions on 19 attempts, the Panthers have allowed just 2 of 9 fourth-down plays to go for first downs.

Interceptions, red zone defense, and 4th down plays are wildly important in the sense that they will significantly impact a team’s win probability. But from a predictive standpoint, these metrics are not very consistent.

Conclusion

In 2012, nearly all the breaks went against the Panthers. Newton couldn’t lead a comeback, the defense was prone to playing at its worst when the moment mattered the most, and Rivera was responsible for all the other things that went wrong. But on the surface, and on a per-play basis, Carolina was a very good team, and perhaps one of the best in the league.

This year, a lot of the events in the NFL that are random that happened to go against Carolina have gone their way this year. On a per-play basis, I’m not sure if Carolina is any better this year. The offense has looked worse against a tougher schedule, the defense has looked better against an easier schedule, and about the only real change is the addition of a pair of strong defensive tackles and an improved set of special teams.

But what we see here is how a few plays in a game can change everything. Not all of it is random or due to luck – give Rivera credit for his Riverboat ways, even when they backfire. But the narrative, particularly when it comes to Newton, is unsupported by the evidence.

Carolina has simply played well this year in isolated but hugely important moments of the game: they’ve gone from allowing opponents to convert on 53% of 4th downs to 22%, while raising their own rate from 33% to 77%. On third downs, Carolina has put up nearly the same production it did last year. The Panthers have gone from +1 in the turnover margin to +11; some of that is due to playing with the lead, and some of that might be due to luck (Carolina has lost just five fumbles this year).

And, of course, the key stat with Carolina. After going 1-7 in games decided by 7 or fewer points in 2012, Carolina is now 3-2 in that category. A year ago, Carolina gained 1.0 more net yards per pass attempt than their opponents and 0.3 more yards per carry; this year, the Panthers have gained just 0.3 more NY/A and still only 0.3 more yards per carry. But for the second year in a row, Carolina has found out that what happens on a few plays can make all the difference in a season.

He's being nice and saying it's not all luck when it is 95% luck

squicken

Luck doesn't explain the consistent underperformance before this year. That factor was removed and now they can win a close game or two instead of zero.

They were not as bad as their record in previous years b/c of how bad Rivera coached them in close games. They are a good team that has been lucky this year. AZ is a better team that has been unlucky this year

Milchjon

I'll have one greencard for me, please. Actually, make it two, I'm pretty sure Milch wants one, too. PM me the price.

Nah, at some point you gotta be honest with yourself and your skill set. In my case that means I'd rather be in a place with some semblance of a security net ;-)

Top Bottom