• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

Hey man I'm going to try to put up a fight in the championship!! :cool:

Actually, you're likely going to come out on top.

The luck part also applies in the sense that one week I'll score higher than anyone else in the league, then the next I'll come in near the bottom yet still win based on my matchup. I finished the year 12-2 with two underserving wins and two random losses. I guess it balanced out but it really comes down to a dice roll.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From the press conference:

4:09 -- Schwartz rejects the notion that the team has problems holding on to fourth-quarter leads.

Sure, aside from the fact that you've blown a lead in the 4th quarter in your last 4 losses, you're absolutely justified in rejecting that idea.

Edit: LOL at the rest of that press conference.

Basically summed up as, "Stafford's fine and needs no help, we didn't call a timeout on the kick because we didn't need to, I stand by the ridiculous calls made last night, the media is causing all of this job security stuff."

Tenumi

Banned

Sure, aside from the fact that you've blown a lead in the 4th quarter in your last 4 losses, you're absolutely justified in rejecting that idea.

Basically summed up as, "Stafford's fine and needs no help, we didn't call a timeout on the kick because we didn't need to, I stand by the ridiculous calls made last night, the media is causing all of this job security stuff."

To be fair, do you expect him to say "Sure, I need to be fired, start from scratch, blah blah blah"?

I don't really pay that much attention to the press conferences anyway. It's basically just them talking without actually giving any information.

Some Tannehill Love:

The focus of the Dolphins' win on Sunday won't be on the Dolphins. The Patriots are one of the NFL's marquee franchises and when they lose, especially with the chance to get a No. 1 seed in the playoffs, that's the story.

But don't ignore the Ryan Tannehill story.

Tannehill, the Dolphins quarterback, got lost in the avalanche of star quarterbacks in the 2012 draft. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, the top two picks, grabbed all the attention. Nick Foles and Russell Wilson were drafted long after Tannehill, who went eighth overall, but they've overshadowed Tannehill too.

So he's used to not getting a lot of credit. And he won't get much notice in the "What's wrong with the Patriots?" teeth gnashing that is coming this week. But he was fantastic in Miami's 24-20 win on Sunday, one that might be the difference in the Dolphins getting to the playoffs.

Tannehill was 25-of-37 for 312 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. He was great on the Dolphins' game-winning drive. Very Tom Brady-like, even.

With 4:07 left and the Dolphins trailing by three points, Tannehill completed 6-of-8 passes for 66 yards. When the Dolphins gambled and went for it on fourth and 5, he completed a 6-yard pass. He hit Marcus Thigpen for a 14-yard touchdown with 1:15 left, then sat uncomfortably on the bench at the end as Brady tried to pull off his own comeback. But the Dolphins' defense held.

Tannehill is playing very well, and with little help. The offensive line was a mess even before the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito fiasco. His receiving targets are not very good. He has almost no help from the running game. And yet, very quietly, he's had a very good second season.

Maybe people will notice him more if the Dolphins end up grabbing that final wild-card spot in the AFC. If they do get to the postseason, it's because Tannehill has carried them. The Dolphins shouldn't have to worry about their quarterback position for a while. They've got their guy.

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-week-15-winners-losers-miami-dolphins-feel-051751511--nfl.html

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Some of the leaders on this defense, Suh and Fairley obviously included, need to start calling out the referees for their bullshit calls. Last week against the Eagles, Suh, gets called for a defensive holding that was something the refs clearly saw in their dreams or just made up.

This week again refs flagging us for our "reputation". Screw that, if football teams are going to get flagged for their reputation then referees should be fired for shitty calls they made in previous weeks. I don't like it when they do it to the Raiders and I don't like it when they do it to us. Call a game based on whats going on in that game, not what happened 3 years ago.

As for Schwartz I saw this article a few days ago about Staffords first game against the Saints in 2009:

In Jim Schwartz’s first game as head coach, the Lions faced the Saints in New Orleans. The Saints ran a 4-3 defense at the time, but they knew they were facing a rookie quarterback in Matthew Stafford who was preparing all week using film of them playing a 4-3 defense. Sean Payton had the defensive coaches mix in a lot of 3-4 concepts just to confuse the rookie and it worked as the Saints crushed the Lions and Stafford completed less than half his passes and threw three interceptions. Those are the types of moves you just don’t see out of this Lions team

http://www.freep.com/article/20131211/SPORTS01/312110052/

Basically: everything is fine.

Not long ago he was preaching that the Lions had a "5 game season left" and controlled their destiny. Well thus far we're 1-2. End this now. Second half fails every year.

20 turnovers for Stafford in the last 5 games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be fair, do you expect him to say "Sure, I need to be fired, start from scratch, blah blah blah"?

I don't really pay that much attention to the press conferences anyway. It's basically just them talking without actually giving any information.

No, I really don't expect it.

My problem comes when he seems to be placing more of the blame on the media and less on himself. He is the reason these job security issues are there.

Plus, it's perfectly clear Stafford is regressing. It is insane to brush that off.

Milchjon

ku-xlarge.png

Milchjon am cry.

If we miss the playoffs, I'm gonna jaknquit.

WedgeX

Banned
Hoping for Gruden for the Lions, but I could be sold on others. Stafford needs a head coach and position coach to hold him accountable and challenge him. I doubt the Lions could manage to actually find a new qb by next year. No faith in it, really.

With my luck, the lions will end up with Les Miles or Rich Rod.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
20 turnovers for Stafford in the last 5 games.

Stafford is obviously going through a pitchers slump right now. Something is mentally wrong right now and the playcalling is not doing him any favors. Hearing Lions fans suggest we should draft a new Quarterback is hilarious though. Luckily the Lions gave Stafford a contract extension in the offseason so thats not going to happen.

If you put Stafford on the Texans I promise you that team is in the playoffs in the AFC South. People like Skip Bayless are going to keep riding that "Dallas Lions" storyline but people forget Staffords first playoff game against the Saints at 23 years old:

28/43, 380 Yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs (one in garbage time), 90.5 QBR

That was on the road and at 23 years old. Stafford is going to improve I have no doubt about that. There is a reason people like Steve Young constantly praise the guy.

We went 50 years without a franchise quarterback I'm not going to give up on Stafford after 5 games, especially after watching his 2011 season.

Farooq

Banned
Another starter hits IR for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys placed linebacker Justin Durant on injured reserve on Tuesday because of a hamstring injury.

Durant is the 10th different Cowboys player to deal with a hamstring injury, but the first to be lost for the season because of it. Durant was signed in the offseason as a veteran linebacker who could help on the strong side in the 4-3 defense. Durant's health became an issue early in the season when he suffered a groin injury in a loss at San Diego on Sept. 29.

Link.

Sean Lee is most likely not coming back this season. Bruce Carter may come back against the Eagles. Their back up was Ernie Sims, does not seem like he is going to play against Washington. Dallas' LB group is done.

Spinluck

I wonder which shitty team will catch fire and win the Super Bowl this year.

Denver should throw the next two games and just have Peyton break his record.

1st seed in the AFC is a curse.

EDIT: I always thought Tannehill was good and showed potential. That was such a great game to watch this past Sunday.

Doomsayer

Stafford is obviously going through a pitchers slump right now. Something is mentally wrong right now and the playcalling is not doing him any favors. Hearing Lions fans suggest we should draft a new Quarterback is hilarious though. Luckily the Lions gave Stafford a contract extension in the offseason so thats not going to happen.

If you put Stafford on the Texans I promise you that team is in the playoffs in the AFC South. People like Skip Bayless are going to keep riding that "Dallas Lions" storyline but people forget Staffords first playoff game against the Saints at 23 years old:

28/43, 380 Yards, 3 TDs, 2 INTs (one in garbage time), 90.5 QBR

That was on the road and at 23 years old. Stafford is going to improve I have no doubt about that. There is a reason people like Steve Young constantly praise the guy.

We went 50 years without a franchise quarterback I'm not going to give up on Stafford after 5 games, especially after watching his 2011 season.

I know I shouldn't but I'm going to bite.

For as much shit you give Kaep, RGIII, and Luck about being "one season wonders" you continually neglect the fact Stafford has had one good year. He was terrible last year and is regressing again this year. Look at what BIGAT posted 35% completion % in the fourth quarter in the past five games.

Stafford was never accurate coming out of college and he isn't accurate now. It isn't a slump, its a regression to the mean. I have not seen Stafford grow in the past two seasons and that has nothing to do with playcalling or coaching. He is Tomo Romo Jr, slings it out there with reckless abandonment and he's going to turn the ball over.

He isn't elite, he isn't even consistent - except for consistently bad. Sure he has a nice tight spiral, but when its going into the arms of defenders or into the dirt who the fuck cares?

jakncoke

Banned
Another starter hits IR for the Cowboys.

Link.

Sean Lee is most likely not coming back this season. Bruce Carter may come back against the Eagles. Their back up was Ernie Sims, does not seem like he is going to play against Washington. Dallas' LB group is done.

Good get him out of there, poor guy.

Mrbob

LionsGAF, it is disappointing right now but what happened last night but it is for the best long term. Well, considering the front office will get a real head coach in to coach up your team.

It is kind of funny though to those of us outside of Detroit. Can't believe all that talent is being squandered.

bionic77

At least Gronk is bringing STDs to sick kids' moms.
Fixed. Though banging moms is usually Billy's thing but as we all know Gronk is not very picky.

And :lol at KAS. Most delusional poster in here since duce22. Though at least KAS is positive. Duce insane and negative as fuck.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I know I shouldn't but I'm going to bite.

For as much shit you give Kaep, RGIII, and Luck about being "one season wonders" you continually neglect the fact Stafford has had one good year. He was terrible last year and is regressing again this year. Look at what BIGAT posted 35% completion % in the fourth quarter in the past five games.

Stafford was never accurate coming out of college and he isn't accurate now. It isn't a slump, its a regression to the mean. I have not seen Stafford grow in the past two seasons and that has nothing to do with playcalling or coaching. He is Tomo Romo Jr, slings it out there with reckless abandonment and he's going to turn the ball over.

He isn't elite, he isn't even consistent - except for consistently bad. Sure he has a nice tight spiral, but when its going into the arms of defenders or into the dirt who the fuck cares?

I don't give Kaep, Luck or RG3 shit for being one year wonders, I'll give them shit for other things. I've just said that I would take Stafford over them based on the fact that I've seen Stafford over a longer period of time in the NFL and that Stafford has a better arm than all three of them. And I would still take Stafford over all three of those QBs you mentioned. Accuracy is something that can be improved, and it doesn't help when your receivers lead the league in drops. Admittedly I didn't watch Stafford in college but I've seen him throw 41 touchdowns and 16 INTs in the NFL. That is accurate enough. Defenses have adjusted to our playcalling since 2011 and I think that is a huge reason, combined with a depleted receiver core since 2011, that he has statistically regressed.

You can't run a 5 receiver set on a 3rd and 1, with no running back in the backfield, telegraphing to the defense what you're going to do. At least have a running back in the backfield so the defense thinks there is a chance you might run the ball. Like Steve Young pointed out last night, Stafford is seeing crossing routes all night, you have to take some pressure off of him with the playcalling.

We've seen all three of those QBs you mentioned regress this year. It happens, but with todays media everything get blown the hell out of proportion and fans want to immediately want them benched. Again I'm not going to give up on the guy, and neither should Lions fans (even though with our natural cynicism a lot will). Stafford would automatically start on 26 teams or so, thats not "terrible" as you say.

Top Bottom