• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 16 |OT| The Jungle

JCizzle

No reason to be 'privately' questioning the way the Rat handled RG3 in the playoffs, he should have been fired and driven out of town for it. No sane man - let alone a 60 year old head coach being paid $7M/year - thought that RG3 was healthy enough to limp around on one leg in an NFL game on that field. It was insanity and Shanahan took no responsibility for the well being of his player. RG3's dad is in the right, his talent was evident last year before the injury.

Tenumi

Banned
I don't think Stafford is the issue. I think he needs a good QB coach, and accountability. He's 25 years old, in his 3rd full season starting. It's not like he's in his 30s, set in his ways unable to change.

I still wonder what his completion percentage would be if you took away dropped passes...

Greg

I don't think Stafford is the issue. I think he needs a good QB coach, and accountability. He's 25 years old, in his 3rd full season starting. It's not like he's in his 30s, set in his ways unable to change.

I still wonder what his completion percentage would be if you took away dropped passes...
I'm sure it's balanced out by the Megatron bailout catches

Tenumi

Banned
I'm sure it's balanced out by the Megatron bailout catches

...Other teams have number 1 receivers, too. Pretty good ones at that. AJ Green, Andre Johnson.

He's a good receiver, but he's not the only one in the world that can catch.

I was gutted last year when the Browns couldn't trade up to take RGIII but with how everything seems to be going now I'm glad he seems like a diva. I don't know if its him being a dick or Shanahan. Did Shanahan even want to draft him or did Schneider ship a boat load for someone his coach wasn't sold on?

I was gutted last year when the Browns couldn't trade up to take RGIII but with how everything seems to be going now I'm glad he seems like a diva. I don't know if its him being a dick or Shanahan. Did Shanahan even want to draft him or did Schneider ship a boat load for someone his coach wasn't sold on?

Rumor had it Shanahan wanted Tannehill not RG3

cdyhybrid

ibdeESrqQYnA1x.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LionsGAF, it is disappointing right now but what happened last night but it is for the best long term. Well, considering the front office will get a real head coach in to coach up your team.

It is kind of funny though to those of us outside of Detroit. Can't believe all that talent is being squandered.

This is the franchise that wasted all those years with Barry Sanders. Shouldn't be surprising.

Rumor had it Shanahan wanted Tannehill not RG3

Well that could explain a lot, if they had gone that way would they have even have to give up anything to get him?

It must be hard when you get owners sticking their nose's in it never ends well, did someone say just Dallas?!

I just hope Haslam keeps his nose out and doesn't go down for Flying J business the ship seems to be righting or at least going the right way.

Well that could explain a lot, if they had gone that way would they have even have to give up anything to get him?

It must be hard when you get owners sticking their nose's in it never ends well, did someone say just Dallas?!

I just hope Haslam keeps his nose out and doesn't go down for Flying J business the ship seems to be righting or at least going the right way.

Was washington before miami in the draft? (8th)?

Was washington before miami in the draft? (8th)?

Yeah they were 6th before trading up, how different would it have played out. Browns wouldn't have got the Int throwing machine that is the Baller Weeden.

People forget just how great RG3 was last year before he got hurt.

He was awesome, but he clearly doesn't fit into the Head coaches system in the head or plans, he missed the offseason so instead of giving him real game time they pull him to sit o the sidelines?! It just doesn't add up

Greg

...Other teams have number 1 receivers, too. Pretty good ones at that. AJ Green, Andre Johnson.

He's a good receiver, but he's not the only one in the world that can catch.
and Stafford's not the only QB with receivers that drop passes

good balls get dropped, bad balls get caught - it's part of the game

People forget just how great RG3 was last year before he got hurt.
but then you look at him now and wonder how much of that was just his athleticism masking his issues

JCizzle

but then you look at him now and wonder how much of that was just his athleticism masking his issues

He had a ~66% completion percentage, I'm not buying that it was only his athleticism. The fact that he had such amazing athleticism to complement his throwing ability is what made him so great and why it was so idiotic for Shannahan to recklessly jeopardize his career last year to win one game. If Luck ends up suffering some horrific shoulder injury that turns him into Colt McCoy next year, will people question his selection too?

Yeah they were 6th before trading up, how different would it have played out. Browns wouldn't have got the Int throwing machine that is the Baller Weeden.

He was awesome, but he clearly doesn't fit into the Head coaches system in the head or plans, he missed the offseason so instead of giving him real game time they pull him to sit o the sidelines?! It just doesn't add up

What do you mean he doesn't fit into his plans? They tailored the offense around him last year. They are sitting him now because his offensive line is trash and he's getting blown up ten times a game coming off a severe leg injury last year.

cashman

Banned
Another starter hits IR for the Cowboys.

Link.

Sean Lee is most likely not coming back this season. Bruce Carter may come back against the Eagles. Their back up was Ernie Sims, does not seem like he is going to play against Washington. Dallas' LB group is done.

Unfortunate. I thought the LB group was pretty strong at the beginning of the season. It's time to get an extended look on Holloman.

edit: Holy shit Mech, you're a Cowboys fan now?!? Awesome, there was no reason why Texans fans should hate the Cowboys anyways.

I was looking for gifs of either Elvis Dumervil tossing the Lions' tackle 5 feet, or the one of Ray Rice blocking Suh, but couldn't. Instead I found Marshal Yanda tossing Suh around:

5ihj0.gif

5ihmu.gif

Tenumi

Banned

I'm aware, it was just idle speculation. I'd frankly like to see QB completion percentage minus dropped passes for all the quarterbacks in the league. Its just such a subjective and complicated to measure stat, though, that I doubt it'll ever come to pass.

Tom Penny

I'm aware, it was just idle speculation. I'd frankly like to see QB completion percentage minus dropped passes for all the quarterbacks in the league. Its just such a subjective and complicated to measure stat, though, that I doubt it'll ever come to pass.

Add his drops to his competed pass attempts. Seems pretty simple to me.

Tamanon

Banned
No. 2: St. Louis → Washington (PD). St. Louis traded this selection to Washington for first-round selections in 2012 (6th), 2013, and 2014, and a 2012 second-round selection (39th)

I forgot it was THREE first rounders and a second-rounder.

Pimpwerx

Some Tannehill Love:

The focus of the Dolphins' win on Sunday won't be on the Dolphins. The Patriots are one of the NFL's marquee franchises and when they lose, especially with the chance to get a No. 1 seed in the playoffs, that's the story.

But don't ignore the Ryan Tannehill story.

Tannehill, the Dolphins quarterback, got lost in the avalanche of star quarterbacks in the 2012 draft. Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, the top two picks, grabbed all the attention. Nick Foles and Russell Wilson were drafted long after Tannehill, who went eighth overall, but they've overshadowed Tannehill too.

So he's used to not getting a lot of credit. And he won't get much notice in the "What's wrong with the Patriots?" teeth gnashing that is coming this week. But he was fantastic in Miami's 24-20 win on Sunday, one that might be the difference in the Dolphins getting to the playoffs.

Tannehill was 25-of-37 for 312 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. He was great on the Dolphins' game-winning drive. Very Tom Brady-like, even.

With 4:07 left and the Dolphins trailing by three points, Tannehill completed 6-of-8 passes for 66 yards. When the Dolphins gambled and went for it on fourth and 5, he completed a 6-yard pass. He hit Marcus Thigpen for a 14-yard touchdown with 1:15 left, then sat uncomfortably on the bench at the end as Brady tried to pull off his own comeback. But the Dolphins' defense held.

Tannehill is playing very well, and with little help. The offensive line was a mess even before the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito fiasco. His receiving targets are not very good. He has almost no help from the running game. And yet, very quietly, he's had a very good second season.

Maybe people will notice him more if the Dolphins end up grabbing that final wild-card spot in the AFC. If they do get to the postseason, it's because Tannehill has carried them. The Dolphins shouldn't have to worry about their quarterback position for a while. They've got their guy.

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-week-15-winners-losers-miami-dolphins-feel-051751511--nfl.html

That's some truth. Tanny has really shown a lot of progress the last few games. I wonder if he's studying his own game tapes, because he's using his legs a lot more, and moving around the pocket better. PEACE.

i also wonder what his completion percentage would be if you took away all the god awful throws he makes in coverage where megatron bails him out

He had a ~66% completion percentage, I'm not buying that it was only his athleticism. The fact that he had such amazing athleticism to complement his throwing ability is what made him so great and why it was so idiotic for Shannahan to recklessly jeopardize his career last year to win one game. If Luck ends up suffering some horrific shoulder injury that turns him into Colt McCoy next year, will people question his selection too?

What do you mean he doesn't fit into his plans? They tailored the offense around him last year. They are sitting him now because his offensive line is trash and he's getting blown up ten times a game coming off a severe leg injury last year.

At this moment in time without his legs to get him out of trouble he doesn't look any better than your average joe QB. When cousin's came in last year he did really well RGIII doesn't fit Shannahan system in my option and he was forcing him to pass more from the pocket.

Look at russell Wilson he didn't put up great passing numbers last year he ran ways more but he's grown so much as a QB this year.

I'm kinda lost in my own point i was trying to make so in summary I think they are trying to fit RGIII into a system he wash;t and isn't ready for he isn't the pocket passer yet he's still the scrambler.

what do you guys think of this sweater.

In Maine it’s the craggy piece of coastline that juts out into the Atlantic from Penobscot Bay.

In Canada it’s the Maritime Provinces south of the St. Lawrence River.

Hearty places like Halifax, Saint John, and Bar Harbor, inhabited by the people who used to build the six-masted schooners that could withstand the roughest Nor’easters.

On a good day, you can be outside for a half hour and still feel your fingers.

Frenchman Bay Sweater (No. 2815). 100% wool on the outside; contrasting cotton lining on the inside. It’s the sweater you always wished you had on those days when the wind won’t stop and the thermometer won’t rise.

Locals wear the collar open. Outsiders wear it zipped up for a snug turtleneck fit.

Front placket has JP logo and four antique nickel snaps for those really cold days. Long sleeves. But it’s rakish enough so you’ll find reasons to wear it any time.

“Did you know it’s going to dip below 52 degrees?

Fox318

what do you guys think of this sweater.

In Maine it’s the craggy piece of coastline that juts out into the Atlantic from Penobscot Bay.

In Canada it’s the Maritime Provinces south of the St. Lawrence River.

Hearty places like Halifax, Saint John, and Bar Harbor, inhabited by the people who used to build the six-masted schooners that could withstand the roughest Nor’easters.

On a good day, you can be outside for a half hour and still feel your fingers.

Frenchman Bay Sweater (No. 2815). 100% wool on the outside; contrasting cotton lining on the inside. It’s the sweater you always wished you had on those days when the wind won’t stop and the thermometer won’t rise.

Locals wear the collar open. Outsiders wear it zipped up for a snug turtleneck fit.

Front placket has JP logo and four antique nickel snaps for those really cold days. Long sleeves. But it’s rakish enough so you’ll find reasons to wear it any time.

“Did you know it’s going to dip below 52 degrees?
aVXr1Yu.jpg

Not hipster enough for gaf

Greg

I didn't say it was only his athleticism, but the threat definitely had a huge impact on his success. That's not to take anything away from what he did, but it's worth taking note while blame for the season is being thrown around.

And the shoulder injury scenario isn't the same because you don't need to be an elite athlete to be an elite quarterback. RGIII definitely didn't look healthy this year, but it's not like he was less mobile than Peyton or something.

Empty backfields need to die. It's first and 10 and Justin Smith is off the line and standing up. That's setting up a marginal player to fail

we made a lot of good adjustments keeping him in the pocket as well in the 2nd game. thats why we smashed them in the 2nd half and wussle had like 30 yards passing. that or he got shook after bowman destroyed him on the first drive. never saw him keep it once on the QB read option nor did he have any interest in trying to run when outside the pocket. maybe cheatin' pete remembered this delicious shot

russell-wilson-rocked-2.gif

Top Bottom