• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

JABEE

hmm..wasn't that around the last time we won a national championship? There's a santa curse. you heard it here first.
No. The Eagles last won the NFL Championship in 1960. The Eagles were the only team to beat Lombardi's Packers in an NFL Championship Game.

squicken

Eagles have one win over a playoff team: The Packers when they didn't have Rodgers

Say you want a revolution? Have no injuries and play a shit schedule

effzee

Holy sh*t. I think I had about 14 different heart attacks watching that game...

Many things to note, but one that jumps out is in the 2nd half, when Foles was getting pressured and sacked and looked to be getting a bit skittish, Kelly adapted and RAN the ball, and ran it again, and again, getting yards on the ground and taking the edge off the pass rush. As much as I liked and defended Reid over the years, I don't think he would have made that adjustment. Kudos to Kelly & crew.

And I still thought we should have run the ball more. It was plain to see that our D couldn't stop the mighty Orton. We have Bryce Brown and Chris Polk as back ups. Both more than capable back ups.

Something seemed really off. We barely targeted Desean and even when he was open Foles never bothered to look at him. The decision to go for it on 4rth and goal was fine but the actual call was terrible. The oline was terrible. We had no screen game at all. And then we just stopped even trying. Not just to McCoy but the WR and TE screens which we usually run close to 10 times a game. Foles also took some terrible sacks by holding and holding on to the ball instead of just taking off at times. You have to put that threat in the D's mind at least.

On the other hand its obvious the Cowboys D stepped the fuck up and really disrupted what the Eagles like to do. We barely scrapped by but big game by the Cowboys D.

Chip needs to clean up a lot of Foles mistakes and the offense overall. They need to be on their A game against the Saints because even though its going to be in Philly, Brees is going to put up 20+ points against this D.

Touchdown

Banned
tumblr_myls693zo91ryzvxro1_500.jpg

tumblr_myls693zo91ryzvxro2_r1_500.jpg

RBH

The latest mock draft from Sports Illustrated:

1. Houston Texans: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville.

Even those who are skeptical of Bridgewater’s abilities had to be impressed with how he played against Miami in Louisville’s bowl game. He threw for 447 yards and accounted for four touchdowns — a dazzling performance that showed off everything he brings to the table. Included in that list of abilities: mobility, touch downfield and the awareness to roll through progressions in decisive fashion.

2. St. Louis Rams — via Washington: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina.

I flipped Jake Mathews into this spot last week, but it’s honestly difficult to envision the Rams — or any team that might trade up to this spot — would pass on a player that could be dominant at the next level. Clowney is the best overall prospect in this class, and he would be more than capable of stepping into whatever role the Rams envisioned for him up front.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo.

Shooting Mack up several picks — had him to Buffalo in that 9ish range for the past few mocks — and it’s mainly because I still have questions about the other QBs in the mix. Plus, Gus Bradley is a coach with a defensive background … and he’s leading a team with a severe deficiency in playmakers off the edge. Mack is a little further along in his development at this point than Anthony Barr, a key for a team in need of immediate starters.

4. Cleveland Browns: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.

All bets are off at the moment, with the Browns parting ways with Rob Chudzinski after one season. The next coach will want to place his guy in charge at QB, and at the very least will need an upgrade over the Brandon Weeden/Jason Campbell/Brian Hoyer triumvirate. Count Derek Carr, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles among the possibilities here (if the latter two turn pro). Until more is set in place, though, the thought of adding Watkins to Josh Gordon in the passing game ought to excite Browns fans.

5. Oakland Raiders: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State.

It may not always be that apparent, but the Raiders have weapons who could excel in creating after the catch. Carr’s shortcomings were on display in a bowl loss to USC — off-balance throws, inaccuracies and so on. But he’s way better than he showed against the Trojans, perhaps enough so that Oakland could hand him the offense.

6. Atlanta Falcons: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.

The notion of dropping Anthony Barr here was tough to ignore. The Falcons’ pass rush was nonexistent at times this season, and they never managed to replace John Abraham. That said, did you see them try to block Carolina’s front on Sunday? It’s a miracle Matt Ryan walked off the field at the end of the game. No reason to overthink this, then: Matthews is a top-five talent at a position of need for the Falcons.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA.

Like their division rivals in Atlanta, the Buccaneers simply were not talented enough on the edge of their defense. So hello, possible quick fix. This is another spot where a QB could come off the board, as well as a choice that will be dictated by what’s going on with the coaching staff. Barr would provide the Buccaneers some punch, either as a starting DE or as a dangerous situational pass-rusher.

8. Minnesota Vikings: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.

The Vikings used their first-rounder last year on Xavier Rhodes, so doubling down may not be all that attractive. On the other hand, they still finished 32nd against the pass, plus play in a division that features three dynamic aerial attacks. They clearly need more of a presence across the field from Rhodes.

But how about Manziel here instead? One way or another, the Vikings will be adding a quarterback this offseason. An offense centered around Manziel, Adrian Peterson and Cordarrelle Patterson would be mighty challenging to scheme against. (Bortles could be in play here, too.)

9. Buffalo Bills: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama.

Mentioned above that this had been a spot reserved for Mack in most of my recent mocks. This would not be a bad consolation prize. Mosley projects more as an inside guy in the pros — either as a 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB — but he could do some damage out of a weakside position, which is where he’s played at Alabama. The Bills’ hybrid defense could take advantage of having both Mosley and Kiko Alonso, and it’s important to remember that teams increasingly use two-LB, nickel sets, so Mosley’s time stuck outside might be limited.

10. Detroit Lions: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M.

There’s no denying that cornerback may be the Lions’ biggest need. There’s also no denying that this team has to upgrade its talent at wide receiver, both to give Calvin Johnson a little help and to guard against the offensive stalemates that occur when he’s been out of the lineup. If Dennard’s here (or whichever CB the Lions have atop their board at that position), that pick might be a no-brainer. In the event that he’s not, though, dropping in a physical 6-foot-5 receiver into the No. 2 role behind Megatron might leave Matthew Stafford doing cartwheels of joy.
http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/29/nfl-mock-draft-2014-week-17/

gutshot

I don't know what game you were watching, but Foles had plenty of time. He just held onto the ball, because he will not throw to anyone that is not college open. How many times did he take a sack by holding on to the ball?

Dallas' defensive line is ravaged, and Eagles have one of, if not the best offensive lines in the NFL. Any competent QB uses the lack of pressure to rip up this Dallas defense. Dallas' defense leads the league in 400+ yard passers, partly because they get little to no pass rush on a QB

Well, they got a good rush in this game. They seem to match up well with the Eagles O-line, for whatever reason.

And you are totally wrong about him not throwing it to any one that is not college open. That is one of the things that Foles has over Vick, he throws to covered WRs and lets them make a play on the ball (that is why Cooper's stats shot up once Foles went in).

gutshot

Eagles have one win over a playoff team: The Packers when they didn't have Rodgers

Such a dumb stat. They also effectively knocked the Bears, Cardinals, Lions and Cowboys OUT of the playoffs by beating them.

JABEE

Bullshit, Squicken!

They also beat the 10-6 Cardinals and the 8-8 Bears.

The Eagles may not have great talent at receiver or in the secondary, but they have won games. They have played and beat competitive teams. Don't discount them.

You have been shitting on the Eagles for awhile. They weren't expected to do anything this season. Every team loses to playoff teams. The Eagles lost to the Broncos and the Chiefs. That is no reason to shit on the Eagles.

Game was a nail-biter tonight. I honestly thought Dallas was going to take it toward the end.

Anyway, the Eagles didn't look great tonight. If they play like that next week they haven't got a shot. Hopefully they bounce back and play better. Either way, I am satisfied with the team. I really didn't think they would amount to much at all at the beginning of the season.

LJ11

Sammy Watkins eats cushion for breakfast. Everyone plays 8 yards off of him and he still gets by them. He's motioned around, and in the slot often, so it's hard to watch him against tight man to man press, but I've seen instances of him using his hands to swat a DB and get by him. That's the only concern with Sammy will he beat press, when/if you go back and watch him just focus on him being jammed. Tough runner after the catch too, he'll run right through you.

I think Kelvin Benjamin is the best jump ball receiver, this dude looks like he gets a step ladder out, it's insane how vertical he gets. If you've ever played Madden and witnessed that ridiculous jump animation, well that's Benjamin in a nut shell. Needs work in the intermediate game though.

Mike Evans is a freak show of sorts, his YAC is good for a guy who is considered slow for the position. Love the way he comes back for the football on comebacks, never stops, continues to work back, DB has to chase and it creates room for Evans to turn up field and run. I think it's something Briles/Sumlin teach, because Kendall Wright did the same thing at Baylor.

Edit: Bills are dead last in redzone and yet they're taking a MLB with Mike Evans, Ebron and Amaro still on the board. Steve Johnson may be on the outs, Chandler unsigned and no other developed TE on the roster, but they go MLB....hahahahaha they probably do, makes sense.

Sammy Watkins eats cushion for breakfast. Everyone plays 8 yards off of him and he still gets by them. He's motioned around, and in the slot often, so it's hard to watch him against tight man to man press, but I've seen instances of him using his hands to swat a DB and get by him. That's the only concern with Sammy will he beat press, when/if you go back and watch him just focus on him being jammed. Tough runner after the catch too, he'll run right through you.

I think Kelvin Benjamin is the best jump ball receiver, this dude looks like he gets a step ladder out, it's insane how vertical he gets. If you've ever played Madden and witnessed that ridiculous jump animation, well that's Benjamin in a nut shell. Needs work in the intermediate game though.

Mike Evans is a freak show of sorts, his YAC is good for a guy who is considered slow for the position. Love the way he comes back for the football on comebacks, never stops, continues to work back, DB has to chase and it creates room for Evans to turn up field and run. I think it's something Briles/Sumlin teach, because Kendall Wright did the same thing at Baylor.

Edit: Bills are dead last in redzone and yet they're taking a MLB with Mike Evans, Ebron and Amaro still on the board. Steve Johnson may be on the outs, Chandler unsigned and no other developed TE on the roster, but they go MLB....hahahahaha they probably do, makes sense.

Think Benjamin will keep until the 2nd round? Seems like a stacked draft.

KingGondo

Banned
Watkins and Gordon in the same WR corps would give me warm fuzzies.

If they can still get the QB they want with the Colts pick then I'm cool with it.

They held up much better than i would have thought. But 8-8 is complete. And honestly with that defense and the lulls int he offense its about where they should be. But its funny seeing the reaction of similar QB gaffs when its not Romo. If they had that intensity and used that game plan with Romo i'd think they'd score more than 22 points. Man they got to fix the defense scheme, and talent. But whatever it doesn't matter. Jerry is going to Jerry

effzee

I don't know what game you were watching, but Foles had plenty of time. He just held onto the ball, because he will not throw to anyone that is not college open. How many times did he take a sack by holding on to the ball?

Is this the first Eagles game you have watched all season? He has taken plenty of chances and thrown it into tight windows. In fact so much so that I think Chip and coaches have told him to instead take sacks.

Dallas' defensive line is ravaged, and Eagles have one of, if not the best offensive lines in the NFL. Any competent QB uses the lack of pressure to rip up this Dallas defense. Dallas' defense leads the league in 400+ yard passers, partly because they get little to no pass rush on a QB

Eagles OLINE also had some terrible breakdowns in the 2nd half but yeah Foles did have time and for some reason he couldn't find someone open or pull the trigger.

I am not Foles super fan. Still not sure about him but LOL @ him not being competent because he didn't put up 400+ yards. Your D played out of its mind. Be proud of that. For some reason Foles has played two of his shittiest games against the Cowboys.

But again have you seen him against other teams?

Which play off teams did they lose to? The AFC West?

Their other losses were with Barkley as QB because both Vick and Foles were hurt. A complete let down game against Minnesota.

You only play who is on your schedule. The division sucks yes but it was supposed to suck because of how bad the Eagles were supposed to be.

Rookie coach with back up QB winning the job and a patchwork D which has improved but still isn't great. I'll take it.

squicken

Guess Benjamin is older. Already 23 and supposedly there are character issues

Mike Evans had a big fall off late in the year. A&M replaced the OC and Manziel was hurt, so could be it. I've always thought he looked really gassed lots of times and dogged his routes, but attributed it to his size and that hurry up

Sammy, to me, is a class apart. I know I have talked up the guy, but I'd rather have Amaro than either of the other two

It must be so awesome being a defender against the Cowboys on the last drive of an important game. I'd be begging that that the ball is thrown my way, pure limelight.

Bullshit, Squicken!

They also beat the 10-6 Cardinals and the 8-8 Bears.

The Eagles may not have great talent at receiver or in the secondary, but they have won games. They have played and beat competitive teams. Don't discount them.

You have been shitting on the Eagles for awhile. They weren't expected to do anything this season. Every team loses to playoff teams. The Eagles lost to the Broncos and the Chiefs. That is no reason to shit on the Eagles.

Yeah squicken has become such a sad little hater. I dont get it at all. What the Eagles did this year is off the charts amazing. Reid is considered a great coach and he only won 4 games with this team.

gutshot

Nick Foles had the 3rd highest QB rating in a season in NFL history and threw the most passes of any player in NFL history with 0, 1, or 2 interceptions in a season.

But no, he sucks.

woodchuck

I hope this means Jason Garrett is gone. We had a terrible pass:run ratio in the 2nd half of this game.

We lost this game on the multiple 3rd and shorts and 4th and shorts where we elected to pass instead of running the fucking ball.

I fucking hate Jason Garrett and his shitty ass Princeton education.

Narag

Nick Foles had the 3rd highest QB rating in a season in NFL history and threw the most passes of any player in NFL history with 0, 1, or 2 interceptions in a season.

But no, he sucks.

I think the people saying that actually want a year or two of this type of play before he's crowned.

squicken

Yeah squicken has become such a sad little hater. I dont get it at all. What the Eagles did this year is off the charts amazing. Reid is considered a great coach and he only won 4 games with this team.

Who thinks Reid is a good coach? And I think Chip is a good coach, but there is no "revolution". Play a few backup linemen and that tempo isn't so easy to keep up

LJ11

Think Benjamin will keep until the 2nd round? Seems like a stacked draft.

It's a stacked WR draft for sure. Not sure if he lasts until the 2nd, you never know, I like his teammate Greene as well, not sure if he comes out .

Think these big tall WRs will be coveted more than they were in the past. Honestly, who knows. Alshon Jeffrey pulled off crazy catches in college with a shitty QB and many discounted his ability due to quickness/speed issues.

Guess Benjamin is older. Already 23 and supposedly there are character issues

Mike Evans had a big fall off late in the year. A&M replaced the OC and Manziel was hurt, so could be it. I've always thought he looked really gassed lots of times and dogged his routes, but attributed it to his size and that hurry up

Sammy, to me, is a class apart. I know I have talked up the guy, but I'd rather have Amaro than either of the other two

No clue about Benjamin off the field, I just know he's really good at attacking the ball at it's highest point.

Only concern with Evans is that he didn't run many routes, lots of improvisation as well with Manziel. It's basically a slant, curl/comeback, or a fade/go. That's pretty much it, you're not going to get this sudden route runner who breaks off a dig or a corner and leaves the DB in the dust. All frame with him. Evans had a lot of YAC though, it's crazy how much he racked up when you consider his speed/quickness and size.

Amaro's a great athlete, he's just flexed often so people will knock him for it, meanwhile Jimmy Graham is off the line most of the game.

njean777

Who thinks Reid is a good coach? And I think Chip is a good coach, but there is no "revolution". Play a few backup linemen and that tempo isn't so easy to keep up

Chip hasn't been put into this situation yet, until he is there really isn't much you can say. He turned it around with Foles at the helm already, so until he is deep in the shit with injuries we cannot say that he is terrible at adjusting yet.

JABEE

Okay. It may not be a revolution. I don't care if it's a revolution. I just want to win. I just want to see my team compete in big games and move towards being a contender again. I'm happy with that.

If it's just backlash over fake hype, then that's fine.

You keep trying to force this ridiculous narrative that they havent beaten anyone, or they are so lcuky, but everyone that follows football knows that good teams beat bad teams, that is how it always works. Outside of the Colts you could make a similar list for any of the playoff teams. Eagles lost 1 game all year with Foles at QB, you try and spin it how ever you want but Chip has done an amazing job this year.

Top Bottom