• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
ha, I was watching his highlights earlier today. Right now it's looking like the first few picks will be QB heavy, plus Clowney. However, I'm also intrigued by Mike Evans from Texas A&M. Dominant 6'5 WR, opposite of Megatron? Awesome.

However...would you take Watkins or Evans over Darqueze Dennard, if he's on the board at 10? Solid CB for our shitty secondary. WR is a position you can find talent at in later rounds, if you know what you're doing. Unfortunately Mayhew has fucked up every WR pick.

I think DET needs defense more than another WR. Not that there isn't a need for a WR2, but secondary and LBs bigger issue

Our secondary needs help, no doubt, but I really think we need another offensive playmaker. Defenses obviously focus on Megatron all game and we need someone to take pressure off of him. Titus Young did a great job while he could control his meth habit. Nate is just not his old self, We've desperately needed a #2 WR for a long time, and it has hurt Staffords development. Sammy Watkins reminds me of Julio Jones in terms of there size, speed and hands. You can't pass up on a guy like that.

I think you go Best Player Available, and the player that will have the most impact immediately and contribute on the field. That would be a stud be a wide receiver.

So yeah either go Mike Evans but I prefer Sammy Watkins. The draft is always a crap shoot but I think he is almost guaranteed to be a stud in the NFL.

Also something that has gone a little unnoticed is Darius Slay started to play solid later in the season. Do you remember any big plays or TDs against him? The only one I remember was Brandon Marshall, but Slay was on him step by step extended his arm to defend the pass, but Jay Cutler just threw a perfect pass. We can focus on secondary in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

It's pretty crazy we went 7-9 but ended up with the 10th pick. It was a disapointing season but I'm already looking forward to what we can do next year, reloaded and with a new coach. You can tell the players started to tune Schwartz out as soon as our downward spiral happened.

Kevtones

Nick Foles had the 3rd highest QB rating in a season in NFL history and threw the most passes of any player in NFL history with 0, 1, or 2 interceptions in a season.

But no, he sucks.

Sounds like an Oregon QB. Mariota didn't throw a pick for 400 passes and then got injured/started throwing them this year. Not taking away from Foles btw and Mariota is the first Oregon QB since Dixon to have legit NFL talent.

However, there's a reason the winningest QB in Oregon history/guy who head-to-head outplayed Cam Newton/Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley/Nick Foles and didn't get drafted and is playing indoor rec league. Chip's offense is about SPACE. Lots of it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
iCsVUGTezl5gM.png

ibpZDDVwFvAtG1.png

I'm sorry :(

Weeden looked really good in college and I wasn't all that impressed with Tannehill. It's certainly one part Weeden didn't make the transition very well but it's also one part the Browns being a clown shoes organization.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I find it hilarious someone screen capped someone else's prediction from a draft, especially about Brandon Weeden.

I hope someone is screen capping my Stafford predictions.

Last 3 Seasons:

Matthew Stafford: 89 Touchdowns, 52 INTs, 14,438 Yards, 60.4% Completion Percentage (With receivers leading the league in drops)

Tom Brady: 97 Touchdowns, 30 INTs, 14,283 Yards, 63.06% Completion Percentage

Old man Brady is 36, while Stafford is 25. Get Stafford a decent #2 or a safety net TE like Gronk or Hernandez and watch the fuck out.

Can't wait for this draft, and next season. Sammy Watkins in a Lions jersey opposite Megatron? Can'twait.gif

Milchjon

Probably posted before, but :jnc

"We are so dysfunctional," one Browns player told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver on Sunday. "These billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them. These aren't girlfriends. You can't dump them if they (fail to please you) one time."

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yet another year where it sucked to be a Bills fan, but yet another year where we could at least say 'At least we're not the Browns!'

Hammer24

Banned
Face it, fellow Bucco Bruces, #27 and #29 answered the question why we play so much zone and not more man. They need to be led behind the barn and put out of their misery.

Striker

I hope someone is screen capping my Stafford predictions.

Last 3 Seasons:
Fatford had over 100 more attempts.

And he shouldn't need a Pro Bowl caliber TE to look like a capable quarterback. I'm sure every QB in the league wishes they had Calvin Johnson.

squicken

Grossi: Browns made decision to fire Rob Chudzinski before Sunday's game in Pittsburgh

The coaches became unsatisfied with the front office’s response to holes in the roster. For example, management wanted to blend in more younger players and expected the coaches to get them up to speed. When the toll of additional injuries taxed the roster, Chudzinski was expected to win with a threadbare roster.

A case in point was the quick de-activation of cornerback Chris Owens on injured reserve to give playing time to rookie draft pick Leon McFadden, whom the coaches had buried on the bench. Owens later asked for his release once he was medically cleared from a knee injury and was signed by the Miami Dolphins.

There were disagreements between Chudzinski and General Manager Mike Lombardi, though Banner regarded them as healthy and not out of line.

Other smaller issues arose. At one point, Chudzinski was urged by Banner to “shake up” the locker room by cutting wide receiver Greg Little or guard Shawn Lauvao. Chudzinski declined, and that was interpreted as Chudzinski not holding players accountable for their failings.

Wes

venison crêpe
Cutting Little or Lauvao? The tank was strong this season. Not like we had any replacements for them.

squicken

squicken

E: No fucks were given in the making of this double post

Cutting Little or Lauvao? The tank was strong this season. Not like we had any replacements for them.

More from Albert Breer

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
1 breaking point for Browns: I'm told a couple weeks back, Chud was told to cut a player (re: accountability) to send a message. He refused.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Two players in particular that the front office didn't feel were held accountable: QB Brandon Weeden and WR Greg Little.

It's a bad look for the front office to demand petty sacrifices to appease the fans, but why risk it for Brandon Weeden?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling the Fords are going to let Schwartz talk them into another year.

Man, the backlash is going to be amazing.

Velcro Fly

I know we speculate and criticize coaches all the time but the head coaches making millions aren't the only ones who will lose jobs today. Just hope that all the little guys on coaching staffs around the league land on their feet after they lose their jobs. I can't imagine the stress that puts on families.

squicken

Feel like I'm missing something here, why would Banner go to the coach to cut a guy? Wouldn't that be a thing you would tell your GM to do, especially if the coach has no interest in doing it?

1. Muddled leadership. Though it doesn't bode well for Lombardi that I have read numerous places (meaning it was leaked) that he played a part in the selection of Chud, even if he wasn't officially the GM yet

2. Obviously someone has to take the blame for hiring a one and done coach, and clearly Lombard is being positioned as that guy. Banner and Haslam will be doing the press conference today

3. This same front office tried to give away Josh Gordon numerous times. Luckily for CLE the rest of the league was even dumber

Another year, another disappointing season for the Dolphins. This one stung more than usual because the team actually showed some promise in preseason and early weeks.

To be honest I'm not sure who the scapegoat will be for the failures of this team. Given how horribly they collapsed I'd say it'll have to be someone, but I'm really not sure who. At this point I've really soured on Sherman as the OC so I wouldn't mind seeing him go, and Ireland's inability to build a complete team has gone on for far too long as well. I don't have much in the way of positive remarks about Philbin either, the guy showed no emotion whatsoever down the stretch and seemed to fail as a leader of the team, and he has been consistently out-coached in big games all season long (especially in the second half). Oh yeah, DC Kevin Coyle seems to be under the radar but his unit has also been remarkably unimpressive, so I wouldn't mind seeing him gone either.

Then there's Tannehill. Just when I think he is starting to gain some consistency he lays two massive eggs to finish off the season. In the Bills game it was easy to point to the o-line as he was sacked seven times and pressured many more, but against the Jets he really had no excuse (other than Hartline's injury, I guess). The pass protection was great, he just played a terrible game. Once again he missed a deep ball to an open Wallace (this time an overthrow), and he struggled with his accuracy on quite a few intermediate throws, a few of which ended up as INT's. Just a really poor couple of performances from him to end the season.

The Dolphins have no running game. They have two overpaid LB's who are complete and utter trash at every conceivable part of their position. They don't have a big-bodied WR or TE who is capable of making catches in traffic and consistently in the redzone. They don't have a good number 2 CB. They don't have a FB, which looks incredibly foolish in hindsight given their struggles on short yardage plays. The entire offensive line save Pouncey is in shambles.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but to be honest I'm glad the season is over. Getting into the playoffs wouldn't have fixed any of the issues, only masked them a little further. At least now Ross should take some action.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I have a feeling the Fords are going to let Schwartz talk them into another year.

Man, the backlash is going to be amazing.

I totally understand the pessimism its in our blood as Lions fans but Ford Jr. won't let that happen. If he does hooooollyyyy shit we're fucked for another 50 years. Schwartz will get the axe Monday and become D-coordinator with his buddy Fischer in St. Louis or somewhere else.

I'm really interested to see who we end up hiring though. I'm not really sold on anyone to tell you the truth everyone seems to have a flaw.

I hope we give Mayhew at least one more year though. I honestly believe he is a great GM.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I totally understand the pessimism its in our blood as Lions fans but Ford Jr. won't let that happen. If he does hooooollyyyy shit we're fucked for another 50 years. Schwartz will get the axe Monday and become D-coordinator with his buddy Fischer in St. Louis or somewhere else.

I'm really interested to see who we end up hiring though. I'm not really sold on anyone to tell you the truth everyone seems to have a flaw.

I hope we give Mayhew at least one more year though. I honestly believe he is a great GM.

Let me remind you that Ford Jr is the one who refused to let Mayhew fire Schwartz last year when he really wanted to.

Milchjon

Another year, another disappointing season for the Dolphins. This one stung more than usual because the team actually showed some promise in preseason and early weeks.

To be honest I'm not sure who the scapegoat will be for the failures of this team. Given how horribly they collapsed I'd say it'll have to be someone, but I'm really not sure who. At this point I've really soured on Sherman as the OC so I wouldn't mind seeing him go, and Ireland's inability to build a complete team has gone on for far too long as well. I don't have much in the way of positive remarks about Philbin either, the guy showed no emotion whatsoever down the stretch and seemed to fail as a leader of the team, and he has been consistently out-coached in big games all season long (especially in the second half).

Then there's Tannehill. Just when I think he is starting to gain some consistency he lays two massive eggs to finish off the season. In the Bills game it was easy to point to the o-line as he was sacked seven times and pressured many more, but against the Jets he really had no excuse (other than Hartline's injury, I guess). The pass protection was great, he just played a terrible game. Once again he missed a deep ball to an open Wallace (this time an overthrow), and he struggled with his accuracy on quite a few intermediate throws, a few of which ended up as INT's. Just a really poor couple of performances from him to end the season.

The Dolphins have no running game. They have two overpaid LB's who are complete and utter trash at every conceivable part of their position. They don't have a big-bodied WR or TE who is capable of making catches in traffic and consistently in the redzone. They don't have a good number 2 CB. They don't have a FB, which looks incredibly foolish in hindsight given their struggles on short yardage plays. The entire offensive line save Pouncey is in shambles.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but to be honest I'm glad the season is over. Getting into the playoffs wouldn't have fixed any of the issues, only masked them a little further. At least now Ross should take some action.

dolphins-bbc-youtube.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742585

One of the few great Germans ever. I really hope he pulls through. He's was my hero when I was young and to see it happen in such an unexpected way is really scary.

e4f5ef558d2612a57a56b3c5aeb056c4353615d8069a8cc553984b704d926f40.jpg

squicken

Seems like maybe Philbin is being told to fire Sherman. Editorializing or "sourcing"?

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley
If Joe Philbin won't fire Mike Sherman, he has to worry about more than losing the fan base. He might lose the locker room. Big week ahead.

Sounds like an Oregon QB. Mariota didn't throw a pick for 400 passes and then got injured/started throwing them this year. Not taking away from Foles btw and Mariota is the first Oregon QB since Dixon to have legit NFL talent.

However, there's a reason the winningest QB in Oregon history/guy who head-to-head outplayed Cam Newton/Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley/Nick Foles and didn't get drafted and is playing indoor rec league. Chip's offense is about SPACE. Lots of it.
Who' what where is Thomas playing for?

Plinko

Mort again reporting this morning that the Lions are "on the fence" about firing Schwartz.

Le sigh.

He literally has the worst record in five years since the expansion Buccaneers.

Seems like maybe Philbin is being told to fire Sherman. Editorializing or "sourcing"?
The whole thing will be crazy to watch because of all of the ties these guys have with each other. Obviously there is the whole Tannehill-Sherman thing but Sherman is also the guy who hired Philbin in Green Bay. Even crazier, Sherman was once Philbin's high school English teacher.

I don't think Philbin will be able to fire him.

More crazy family ties: Zac Taylor, the Dolphins QB coach, is married to Sherman's daughter and worked for him at Texas A&M.

Wrayfield

The whole thing will be crazy to watch because of all of the ties these guys have with each other. Obviously there is the whole Tannehill-Sherman thing but Sherman is also the guy who hired Philbin in Green Bay. Even crazier, Sherman was once Philbin's high school English teacher.

More crazy family ties: Zac Taylor, the Dolphins QB coach, is married to Sherman's daughter and worked for him at Texas A&M.

Too much nepotism for my taste. Not sure about the hierarchy here, I know some GMs reserve the right to fire coordinators and head coaches. So, for me, Ireland can fire Sherman, then Ross can fire Ireland. And then we rebuild again, with Philbin or without, I dunno, don't care too much about that right now.

squicken

Miami needs to use every draft pick on offense. Trading up and taking a defensive linemen should have gotten Ireland fired on the spot

Patriots finish 2013 top 10 in scoring offense (3rd) and defense (10), 7th in total offense and 26th in total defense. They also scored 444 points, which is 3rd highest.

eznark

Banned
1. Muddled leadership. Though it doesn't bode well for Lombardi that I have read numerous places (meaning it was leaked) that he played a part in the selection of Chud, even if he wasn't officially the GM yet

2. Obviously someone has to take the blame for hiring a one and done coach, and clearly Lombard is being positioned as that guy. Banner and Haslam will be doing the press conference today

3. This same front office tried to give away Josh Gordon numerous times. Luckily for CLE the rest of the league was even dumber

Wasn't chud hired before Lombardi?

squicken

Wasn't chud hired before Lombardi?

Yep. That's why I think it means something that I have read in two different places that Lombardi was there and involved in hiring Chud, even if he had not yet been formally announced as GM. The sources of that info want it known that Lombardi signed off or even recommended Chud

e: PK MMQB

What if there was a disconnect between the quarterback the front office wanted (I hear Cleveland really likes Johnny Manziel, who is not the Aikmanish pocket passer more to Turner’s liking) and the one the coaches preferred? If they made a clean break now, they wouldn’t be delaying what they felt was inevitable

eznark

Banned
Too much nepotism for my taste. Not sure about the hierarchy here, I know some GMs reserve the right to fire coordinators and head coaches. So, for me, Ireland can fire Sherman, then Ross can fire Ireland. And then we rebuild again, with Philbin or without, I dunno, don't care too much about that right now.

Nepotism is a word with a definition.

Top Bottom