• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

Too much nepotism for my taste. Not sure about the hierarchy here, I know some GMs reserve the right to fire coordinators and head coaches. So, for me, Ireland can fire Sherman, then Ross can fire Ireland. And then we rebuild again, with Philbin or without, I dunno, don't care too much about that right now.
Sounds good to me. Something has got to change and Ireland/Sherman are at the top of the list for me.

Miami needs to use every draft pick on offense. Trading up and taking a defensive linemen should have gotten Ireland fired on the spot
Agreed. That decision could not look more idiotic in hindsight, and even at the time it seemed pretty insane. Also, the entire 2013 draft class has been abysmal so far but it's obviously still too early for final judgment.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fun fact:

The last Lions coach to go 6-3 and then finish the year 1-6 was Rod Marinelli.

He was inexplicably retained as head coach.

The following year he went 0-16.

Seanspeed

Banned
All tonight's game proved to me is that Romo is not, and has not been the issue with the Cowboys. The Cowboys are a 2-14 team without Romo. I blame Stephen Jones. Any reasonable son would have put Jerry in a home by now.
I think what it proved is that the Cowboys are the same with or without Romo and is completely replaceable.

Too bad they didn't figure this out last season...

Wes

venison crêpe
Vikings fire Frazier confirmed.

So that's three teams looking thus far? Redskins too most likely any minute now.

eznark

Banned
Hope the Vikings don't go with Chud. I wonder if he'd be willing to go to another clusterfuck organization with no QB and no hope.

RBH

1. Miami sounded Sunday night like a place of change.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see coaching staff changes, and I’m hearing mixed messages about GM Jeff Ireland. Stay tuned. Owner Stephen Ross seems like he was ready to make some changes when he left the stadium after eight disappointing days for the Dolphins.

2. Be careful about making Josh McDaniels the next coach of the Browns.

There is no doubt the Browns will be interested in northeast Ohio native and New England offensive coordinator McDaniels, even after his failed tenure in Denver. But those who know McDaniels tell me he’ll only take a job he’s convinced can be a winner. Right now, the Cleveland job has a moat surrounding it, with alligators swimming in it, so I think Cleveland will be hard-pressed to convince McDaniels it’s a great job for him. Maybe Detroit, if it opens, with a good quarterback who needs to be coached and some very good defensive talent, would be more up McDaniels’ alley. But he’s not the kind of guy itching to be a head coach, I’m told. He’s happy coaching Tom Brady and working under Bill Belichick, I’m told.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/30/aaron-rodgers-rob-chudzinski-monday-morning-quarterback/2/

Striker

3. This same front office tried to give away Josh Gordon numerous times. Luckily for CLE the rest of the league was even dumber
Dude is mega-talented but he's also inches away from a year long suspension.

Similar case with Giants' Safety, although very talented, Will Hill.

Mike Lombardi has his head so far up Bill Belichick's ass, he'll end up hiring someone from the famous "Belichick Tree". A tree that's produced so many champions.

eznark

Banned
Why would McDaniels leave New England? Its kind of obvious he'd be first in line to get that job whenever Belichick leaves.
Why would leaving New England change that?

Yeah, McDaniels seems like the perfect fit for a headcase diabetic (we all know he is getting there) QB who hates to be coached. I don't see any issues with that at all.

ibjo4AgZArUuSB.png

I just saw this on reddit:

Peyton may not have broken the passing yard record. It looks like the ball was thrown backwards.
http://gfycat.com/AjarClosedAmericanbulldog

They took the record away from gronk because of this type of pass.

Meh, it's a record that someone else (Brees, most likely) will break again anyway. He almost got 5,200 yards again this season, so I can fathom him getting up there again.

Great game by the Broncos. In terms of who I'd prefer them to draw in the divisional round, I'd go: Chiefs > Colts > Chargers. All are dangerous and certainly capable of beating the Broncos, but we've played well against the Chiefs so far this year. I don't think the Colts would race out to as big a lead in Mile High which should make the game more manageable (Broncos almost started a comeback near the end of the game). I don't want to draw the Chargers though. I think over the other two teams they would play us consistently well (plus Peyton has a thing about losing to the Chargers in the playoffs).

The Broncos D had a very solid game (though it was against a pretty bad Raiders team). Hope they can keep building on it, continue to work on their coverages and hopefully this year will turn out better than last!

Wrayfield

Meh, it's a record that someone else (Brees, most likely) will break again anyway. He almost got 5,200 yards again this season, so I can fathom him getting up there again.

Passing and receiving records will be broken almost every year. You have average QBs now throwing for 4000 yards so yeah.

eznark

Banned

Lions will draft six wide outs and Stafford will throw for 7,000 yards in the Lions 0-16 2014 effort. Kas will be happy. Phoenix will kill himself.

gutshot

Sounds like an Oregon QB. Mariota didn't throw a pick for 400 passes and then got injured/started throwing them this year. Not taking away from Foles btw and Mariota is the first Oregon QB since Dixon to have legit NFL talent.

However, there's a reason the winningest QB in Oregon history/guy who head-to-head outplayed Cam Newton/Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley/Nick Foles and didn't get drafted and is playing indoor rec league. Chip's offense is about SPACE. Lots of it.

Then that just means Chip's system really works. Either way, it's good for the Eagles.

Crisco

Banned
hahaha $10.5 million and he gets to move out of Cleveland? Yeah he definitely won. Like I said yesterday, I'd happily take him back in Carolina. Shula is in over his head as an OC.

eznark

Banned
"Here, take $10.5 million dollars to NOT be a part of the never-ending train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns."

"Also, you no longer have to live in Cleveland."

Yeah, I'd say so.

Yup, he escaped with his reputation in tact (especially as rumors leak that he was at odds about the QB position with fucking Mike Lombardi, talk about a winning opinion), $10.5m payout (so he can coach again immediately) and tons of coaching options all over the country. It could not have worked out more beautifully for Chud.

Sucks to suck Cleveland, but I find it hard to feel sorry for an organization that has a desperate, ingrained need to constantly punch itself in the dickhole.

eznark

Banned
@SI_PeterKing's MMQB column: Browns are seriously looking at drafting Johnny Manziel. For Johnny's sake, please no

The Browns are the new Browns. Open season for shitting on Cleveland when Peter King piles on. Get a hard hat Browns fans, this is going to be a fucking awful off-season for you.

So it'll be a Browns off-season.

HAHAHAHA

gutshot

Just for squicken, I've compiled a list of the playoff teams and how many wins they have against other playoffs teams.

San Diego Chargers: 5
Denver Broncos: 4
Indianapolis Colts: 4
Cincinnati Bengals: 4
Seattle Seahawks: 3
Carolina Panthers: 3
San Francisco 49ers: 2
New Orleans Saints: 2
New England Patriots: 2
Kansas City Chiefs: 1
Philadelphia Eagles: 1
Green Bay Packers: 0

Going by this metric, it looks like the Chargers will be Super Bowl champs.

minx

Well Emery has his work cut out for him with the QB situation and our entire defense. Could be looking at 7 to 8 new starters on defense with all the FA we have.

The Browns are the new Browns. Open season for shitting on Cleveland when Peter King piles on. Get a hard hat Browns fans, this is going to be a fucking awful off-season for you.

So it'll be a Browns off-season.

HAHAHAHA

I can't wait to watch Manziel.

Seriously.

squicken

I hope Manziel doesn't end up in Cleveland. I've had to watch Bradford play in shit ass STL. Manziel getting destroyed in CLE would not be fun

Kave, BG, Bat, yall my dudes hate it had to be yall

Crisco said:
hahaha $10.5 million and he gets to move out of Cleveland? Yeah he definitely won. Like I said yesterday, I'd happily take him back in Carolina. Shula is in over his head as an OC.

Chud (when he's not trying to outsmart the room and openly campaigning for a HC job with overly complicated schemes) is a great OC.

gutshot

It's really sad/hilarious in retrospect how the Browns fans and media were selling themselves on how they were glad to not get Chip Kelly and are better off with Chud. Oops.

Vyroxis

Banned
Frazier out, now all we need is to find someone dumb enough to trade for Ponder And we will be on our way to fixing some of our problems.

I wonder if the Seahawks are up for another fleecing?

Top Bottom