• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

KaYotiX

Banned
OK PACK LETS GO!!!!!!

1496156_626592620732228_1917477911_o_zps473e61fa.png

1528466_626180234106800_1891059442_n_zps0ac753b6.png

Lance Briggs on the Bears defense: It's just sad.

Years of Angelo missing on defensive picks wrecked any semblance of depth, so when a few key starters went out there was nobody available to step up. Urlacher, for example, should have had a replacement waiting in the wings. Instead Emery had to sign a vet and hope he could act as a stop gap until Bostic was ready.

Emery will have to completely rebuild the defense next year. He managed to overhaul the offensive line in one off season, but this will be a much greater challenge. If he can at least manage to field a mediocre defense next year, it'll be an improvement.

brentech

I was going to write out a paragraph about how stupid it is to stay 'you're better than X person, so they can teach you nothing', but instead I'll just lol.

That's so Lions culture.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
RE: Stafford and "QB Coaches"

Typical NFLGAF overreaction to Stafford. First off people are going assuming how Staffords demeanor based on a tweet where we don't hear his voice. Meaning we don't know if he said "No" in a asshole Jay Cutler type of way you can't teach me shit, or just a laid back Stafford "No, I don't need a QB coach."

And he doesn't. Manning and Brady don't have "QB coaches". They work out with old high school coaches maybe, or get advice from former vets, but there is no one teaching Peyton Manning or Tom Brady how to perfect a 5 step drop because they are the best in the world at it. Stafford has no problems with his dropbacks (anyways we're in shotgun most of the time).

There is no one who can teach Stafford to be better other than Stafford himself. And he's a smart dude who knows what he has to improve on, and I think he knows Linehan and co. are not putting him in right situations.

I've said it before but I'm going to bring up what Steve Young said about him. You need to reign him in, and the only person who can do that is a coach. Scott Linehan shouldn't be calling 5 receiver sets on a 3rd and 1 telling the defense we're passing the ball. At least 6, and I'm being generous, INTs have come off of tipped balls. Thats not his fault. He's going to throw INTs once in awhile, all QBs do. But he is still as statistically good as anyone in the league. Therefore that makes him one of the best in the world. Period.

These guys are professional athletes and the best in the world. You can put your QB in better situations so he doesn't turn the ball over, but mechanically no one can tell him shit because he's better than them. It's like someone telling Kobe Bryant to work on his jumpshot. He knows what he needs to improve on, he doesn't need some no name scrub teaching him how to shoot a fucking ball. Same with Stafford and throwing the ball.

Seriously. It's time to take a step back.

eznark

Banned
RE: Stafford and "QB Coaches"

Typical NFLGAF overreaction to Stafford. First off people are going assuming how Staffords demeanor based on a tweet where we don't hear his voice. Meaning we don't know if he said "No" in a asshole Jay Cutler type of way you can't teach me shit, or just a laid back Stafford "No, I don't need a QB coach."

And he doesn't. Manning and Brady don't have "QB coaches". They work out with old high school coaches maybe, or get advice from former vets, but there is no one teaching Peyton Manning or Tom Brady how to perfect a 5 step drop because they are the best in the world at it. Stafford has no problems with his dropbacks (anyways we're in shotgun most of the time).

There is no one who can teach Stafford to be better other than Stafford himself. And he's a smart dude who knows what he has to improve on, and I think he knows Linehan and co. are not putting him in right situations.

I've said it before but I'm going to bring up what Steve Young said about him. You need to reign him in, and the only person who can do that is a coach. Scott Linehan shouldn't be calling 5 receiver sets on a 3rd and 1 telling the defense we're passing the ball. At least 6, and I'm being generous, INTs have come off of tipped balls. Thats not his fault. He's going to throw INTs once in awhile, all QBs do. But he is still as statistically good as anyone in the league. Therefore that makes him one of the best in the world. Period.

These guys are professional athletes and the best in the world. You can put your QB in better situations so he doesn't turn the ball over, but mechanically no one can tell him shit because he's better than them. It's like someone telling Kobe Bryant to work on his jumpshot. He knows what he needs to improve on, he doesn't need some no name scrub teaching him how to shoot a fucking ball. Same with Stafford and throwing the ball.

If not a QB coach perhaps an optometrist? Or a weight watchers buddy? It's clear he has no control over his weight and it's possible he is color blind.

Oh my god I actually read it.

Kastrated said:
There is no one who can teach Stafford to be better other than Stafford himself.

One paragraph later:

Kastrated said:
You need to reign him in, and the only person who can do that is a coach.

Crisco

Banned
Jesus, Stafford will probably finish this season with less wins than Cam Newton and he was drafted 2 years earlier. The dude just isn't that good. Calvin Johnson carries that offense and Stafford would be on his way to journeyman backup if it wasn't for him.

eznark

Banned
So I guess this is the one hour of the year where people pretend to care about the Pro Bowl?

Fuck yeah, salary cap hits!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Seriously. It's time to take a step back.

ThatsmyQB.gif

But seriously, I've watched almost every game of his career. If he was garbage I would've called him out on it years ago. He's an exponentially talented QB and the stats prove it.

If not a QB coach perhaps an optometrist? Or a weight watchers buddy? It's clear he has no control over his weight and it's possible he is color blind.

Oh my god I actually read it.

One paragraph later:

I phrased that wrong I guess. By reigning him in, I meant in terms of playcalling. But teaching Stafford how to throw or drop back? No one can teach him that because he already knows how to do it.

Look at how Cam has improved his game. NFL fans have total kneejerk reactions, and even I piled on top of him last year. But you get a decent run game going, don't pass the ball 70% of the time and look at how he has improved and his team has improved. He also still turns it over occasionally but he also has the help of a nice stout defense that produces turnovers.

fuck you capcom for killing Breath of Fire

Speaking of which, I bought a brand-new copy of Dragon Quarter for like 5 dollars on Amazon. That game is hardcore. You pretty much have to start over in order to beat the game your first time.

Anyway, I think it was a good game. And I'm still haunted by the fact that I never finished BoF3 like 12 years ago. Can't find a way to play it.

So kas since stats are all that matter is Foles the best QB ever? Leading the league in several categories and hasn't even played 16 games yet.

ThatsmyQB.gif

But seriously, I've watched almost every game of his career. If he was garbage I would've called him out on it years ago. He's an exponentially talented QB and the stats prove it.

I phrased that wrong I guess. By reigning him in, I meant in terms of playcalling. But teaching Stafford how to throw or drop back? No one can teach him that because he already knows how to do it.

Look at how Cam has improved his game. NFL fans have total kneejerk reactions, and even I piled on top of him last year. But you get a decent run game going, don't pass the ball 70% of the time and look at how he has improved and his team has improved. He also still turns it over occasionally but he also has the help of a nice stout defense that produces turnovers.
Kas, seriously are stats all that matter to you? Are you telling me that having a QB coach wouldn't help Stafford? ffs open your eyes, man.

Nightz

I'm happy that Eric Weddle got in. The Chargers D has been pretty bad this season but he's been the bright spot. Had a pretty sick interception last game. Loved this play too:

BcDfhykCYAA81Rj.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas, seriously are stats all that matter to you? Are you telling me that having a QB coach wouldn't help Stafford? ffs open your eyes, man.

No stats are not all that matter, but they're about 80% of it. The guy has proven he can throw the ball at an elite level in the NFL. Up their with Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees statistically. Does that not count for anything?

Who is this magical QB coach who is going to teach Stafford new things? Stafford knows what he has to do. The guy won a Texas state championship, played elite football in the SEC and now has in the NFL. Of course I'd love to see that translate into the playoffs and eventually Superbowl and it hasn't. Its not all his fault, but some of those turnovers do hurt us and as he gets older he will work on that.

We need some new blood in the coaching staff, but I'm just giving you guys the opposite end of the hyperbole NFL fans and GAF have all the time with QBs. I mean we all troll, but the people calling Stafford a bad QB don't know what they're talking about.

Farooq

Banned
I don't think Stafford's stats are that great either.

Career Passer Rating: 83.

Career completion percentage is below 60%. If your career completion percentage is below 60, you cannot blame dropped passes.

His footwork is lazy, for simple things like making sure you feet go where you are going to throw it. Not to mention he leads the league in batted passes because of how often he uses that sidearm delivery. Stafford has a lot to clean up.

squicken

Knew Quinn would make it, and I'm glad Hekker did as well. He's the best punter in the game and I'm glad they got that right. The guy is a scumbag so I don't really care, but besides Manning and Rivers, I'm not sure any QB was better than Big Ben this year

RE: Stafford and "QB Coaches".

Peyton goes and looks over his season with David Cutcliffe. They break down his mechanics to see how his mechanics hold up over the year. See if he is devoloping any bad habits or if there is anything he can tweak. It's a trusted set of eyes for him to see if anything needs work or if he is missing anything. He's constantly chasing that .01% improvement. To me, it's odd to see Stafford dismiss the idea entirely

We joke about it, but I think Stafford really is a lazy QB. That's why he makes so many interceptions, because he'd rather do some funny sidearm trick shot that feels more comfortable to him than utilizing the proper mechanics or judgement, forcing him to do something that requires some effort. I think it's a bad habit he's developed with enablement by the coaching staff.

To me, it's odd to see Stafford dismiss the idea entirely
Yeah, c'mon Kas. You cant tell us a Qb coach cant help him with anything. Forget the mechanics part, your telling me A Qb coach cant help him with his film study? Your telling me another pair of eyes can't help him break down film and see things from a different perspective ? No better way to push yourself then with working with someone else.

Farooq

Banned
Greg Cosell said this about Stafford.

“I was very fortunate in my career to get to know Bill Walsh and to spend a lot of time with him,” he said. “And he drilled home to me the importance of ‘Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics.’ And it starts with footwork. He used to say that he could see a quarterback’s game from the waist down and tell you if he had a good game. Matthew Stafford is an elite arm talent — we know that. I didn’t just break any news there. Everybody in the league would tell you that. But if you have poor mechanics on a consistent basis, and if you continually change your arm angle when you don’t need to, and if you continually throw off-balance with your feet improperly set when you don’t need to, there’s no way you can be consistent. I really believe that he needs to be taken back to school in the offseason, and they have to get him to play with better footwork. That’s where it has to start, and once that happens, I think everything else will fall into place.”

And Jaws, before the season started, wrote this about Stafford.

“What stood out studying Stafford was he was not as efficient under center as he was in the shotgun. He seemed to struggle to read coverage as effectively. Too many forced throws. Overall, he just threw too many passes with poor balance and bad footwork, with a tendency to fall away from the throws.
“There is absolutely no question that Stafford is a very special arm talent. There are not many that throw it like he does. He has a chance to be a top-10 quarterback. The Lions may disagree, but he needs more consistent mechanics to play at a higher level week in and week out.”

Stafford needs to clean up his mechanics. It is that simple.

bionic77

I want to see KAS defend Bens raping fat girls, RayRay murdering randoms at a club, Fraudgers Hadokening elderly cancer patients and Tom Brady's endorsement of worshiping the devil and strap ons.

BG fuck you for ever introducing me to OBR.

I hate that place so much.
Hahah yeah I've seen some extremely fucking dumb threads tonight. I actually rage quit out of the site earlier. I actually wanted to ask you if you had any good browns forums? The level of stupidity is amazing on there, I want to make a account just to curse at people.
If there not posting actual news, then it seems like 80% of the shit is just dumb bullshit.

Hahah yeah I've seen some extremely fucking dumb threads tonight. I actually rage quit out of the site earlier. I actually wanted to ask you if you had any good browns forums? The level is stupidity is amazing on there, I want to make a account just to curse at people.
If there not posting actually news, then it seems like 80% of the shit is just dumb bullshit.

When it was called bernies insiders it wasn't that bad all the losing in recent years has just made it unbearable

No stats are not all that matter, but they're about 80% of it. The guy has proven he can throw the ball at an elite level in the NFL. Up their with Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees statistically. Does that not count for anything?

Who is this magical QB coach who is going to teach Stafford new things? Stafford knows what he has to do. The guy won a Texas state championship, played elite football in the SEC and now has in the NFL. Of course I'd love to see that translate into the playoffs and eventually Superbowl and it hasn't. Its not all his fault, but some of those turnovers do hurt us and as he gets older he will work on that.

We need some new blood in the coaching staff, but I'm just giving you guys the opposite end of the hyperbole NFL fans and GAF have all the time with QBs. I mean we all troll, but the people calling Stafford a bad QB don't know what they're talking about.
Stats don't mean dick if he can't deliver when it matters. Some of the best QBs of all time have taken advice and counsel from QB coaches, either to help with mechanics (which Stafford needs), reads (which Stafford needs) or frankly with just something like zen, staying calm in pressure situations. The fact that he's unwilling to consider getting such assistance suggests he's not serious about becoming elite. You talk about him being elite but he not only hasn't won anything, he's been unable to win important games throughout his career (see his record vs teams over .500).

He's a fat version of Jeff George and will be the same kind of joke 10 years from now if he doesn't get all the help he needs to succeed and be not only willing but eager to accept it.

But go on defending him. It's amusing to see how out of touch with reality you are.

Top Bottom