• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 17 |OT| The Sentimental Drunk

squicken

Isn't it just going to be a wasted year bringing in new coordinators? It takes time to learn new schemes.

Harbaugh had the 49ers a play away from the SB his first year. Get the right coach and the results can be immediate if there is good talent already in place.

JABEE

Just watched Roots for the first time. Amazing Show.

I really like Rich Man Poor Man too. I watched that Christmas. The 70s miniseries craze was an awesome phenomenon!

LJ11

Keep Schwartz, bring in Brian Schottenheimer as new OC.

Word, can't fault him, it was mostly Rex/Sanchez fault in NY, and Bradford/poor OL in ST.Louis!

Schwartz is toast, I wouldn't worry. Critical to get a good DC, they have good talent up front.

The thing is, I think Ben was just as good as any QB besides Peyton and Rivers this year. He started slow but the last 3/4 of the year he seemed to thrive in that offense. I've always wondered if he could extend his career by being a quick throw/short passing QB like Peyton/Rivers/Brady, and I now think he can be

I do agree with you on the talent, though. Team-wide they just don't have the difference makers they used to. And given their cap situation, I am just curious how significant the changes will be

Held onto old guard too long. Spent time trying to add pieces rather than bust down. Defense is shot - it'll take 3 years to get new blood in, but the offense looks promising.

Bionic (and half of Steelers Nation) needs to get over Haley. Doing exactly what he was hired to do - make Ben a better QB and extend his career.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Normally I would agree with you but I hate this Steelers team so much I don't want them to succeed. I think I want them to fail (and they have obliged).

I respect your level of hate for your team. I thought Packer fans hated their team better than anyone but you'll give up Super Bowl wins out of spite! That's an amazing level of dedication to loathing!

Isn't it just going to be a wasted year bringing in new coordinators? It takes time to learn new schemes.

Whoever comes in with have to get rid of our archaic shit, from the wide 9 defense to that stupid, unimaginative shotgun offense that telegraphs our playcalling. Still, I don't think it would be a "wasted" year. It wouldn't be the first time a team switched schemes and did well the following year.

The problem is that Rodgers and Cutler will be healthy next year, and I just don't see the Lions surpassing either unless things are changed drastically.

Anyone know anything about Kyle Van Noy? Wexell is high on him as the Steelers pick in the first. Watched a video but I didn't see much worth raving about.

Any inclination that the team gets blown up? Or just a few big contracts moved? Gotta say that Tomlin letting that TD score and then defending it is borderline fire-able offense. He has been screwing that stuff up for years and still hasn't learned

Nothing but hearsay. Big one is Woodley getting booted but the team would have to eat a huge cost to do so and that's not the Steelers' MO. Couple of expiring contracts for mainstays (Clark and Keisel - two of the 3 oldest guys on the team) too.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Held onto old guard too long. Spent time trying to add pieces rather than bust down. Defense is shot - it'll take 3 years to get new blood in, but the offense looks promising.

Bionic (and half of Steelers Nation) needs to get over Haley. Doing exactly what he was hired to do - make Ben a better QB and extend his career.

Once Ben bought in and they were able to go no huddle and hide the line deficiencies, the offense was great. Bring me a number 1 receiver and let's watch the Steelers average 30+ points a game. The defense will catch up in a few years. PACKERS EAST!

Greg

Once Ben bought in and they were able to go no huddle and hide the line deficiencies, the offense was great. Bring me a number 1 receiver and let's watch the Steelers average 30+ points a game. The defense will catch up in a few years. PACKERS EAST!
defenses are overrated anyways

it's all about that adversity D!

LJ11

Anyone know anything about Kyle Van Noy? Wexell is high on him as the Steelers pick in the first. Watched a video but I didn't see much worth raving about.

Nothing but hearsay. Big one is Woodley getting booted but the team would have to eat a huge cost to do so and that's not the Steelers' MO. Couple of expiring contracts for mainstays (Clark and Keisel - two of the 3 oldest guys on the team) too.

Van Noy is awesome. Can run, cover, good blitzer, decent edge rusher but I think he'd be a nightmare on mike cross stunts so I'd rather have him attack up the gut. Holds up pretty well in the run game out on the edge. I like him a lot. Looked fantastic last year, less so this year but he set the bar high. New age LB too, can do a little bit of everything. That D gave up the least amount of big plays if memory serves. Good player.

Edit: I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB for the record, I'd want him inside or Will in a 4-3. He's a blitzer who can use speed to beat shitty T off the edge but I'm not leaving him outside all game long in a 3-4.

jakncoke

Banned

I was reading not long ago if we make him a June 1st cut we only have to pay 6 of the million this year then 8 next

Van Noy is awesome. Can run, cover, good blitzer, decent edge rusher but I think he'd be a nightmare on mike cross stunts so I'd rather have him attack up the gut. Holds up pretty well in the run game out on the edge. I like him a lot. Looked fantastic last year, less so this year but he set the bar high. New age LB too, can do a little bit of everything. That D gave up the least amount of big plays if memory serves. Good player.

Thanks LJ. I would love if we got a dominant ILB but my mind says WR. They drafted defense in the first last year. Butler has been clamoring for another ILB though.

I was reading not long ago if we make him a June 1st cut we only have to pay 6 of the million this year then 8 next

Still seems rich for the Steelers. Plus Woodley is a big charity guy and they love that.

At 2-6, I thought Tomlin would have some heat under him, Haley would be gone and Lebeau would retire. Now, I think the Rooneys are probably fine with both Tomlin and Haley but I do think they will ask Lebeau to retire. And there's several players who will play their final game as a Steeler on Sunday. I do hope somebody gives Tomlin an intervention on clock management though.

At 2-6, I thought Tomlin would have some heat under him, Haley would be gone and Lebeau would retire. Now, I think the Rooneys are probably fine with both Tomlin and Haley but I do think they will ask Lebeau to retire. And there's several players who will play their final game as a Steeler on Sunday. I do hope somebody gives Tomlin an intervention on clock management though.

send him our way after he's done teaching the steelers

Tenumi

Banned
I am so ready for the regular season to be over. Late season always feels like it drags on.

Also should be interesting to see if there's any surprise firings on Black Monday. I don't put any stock into media or radio musings, so... good luck to the people involved?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So if we make the playoffs, does Capers keep his job? Can't imagine that anything less than an NFC championship appearance would save his job at this point.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I heard Mort on the radio today say that the Lions are leaning towards bringing back Schwartz but firing his whole staff. LOL if they actually do that. Kas is going to be the only Lion fan left.

That will not happen as bad as Iggle fans want it to happen. Maybe in the old days (0-16 season and before) when Bill Ford Sr., who is like 150 years old, was running the franchise but those days are over. His son, Junior, runs the shows and is competent and wants to see the Lions succeed.

Schwartz would've been fired last year but he got the benefit of the doubt because we had an amazing 2011 season only three years after taking over the worst team in NFL history. Also as I've mentioned a million times the 2012 season was a fucked up season due to missing key players the whole season due to various circumstances (Jahvid Best, Titus Young, Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Tony Scheller). Literally all of our WR/TE/RB corp was hurt except for Megatron.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That will not happen as bad as Iggle fans want it to happen. Maybe in the old days (0-16 season and before) when Bill Ford Sr., who is like 150 years old, was running the franchise but those days are over. His son, Junior, runs the shows and is competent and wants to see the Lions succeed.

Schwartz would've been fired last year but he got the benefit of the doubt because we had an amazing 2011 season only three years after taking over the worst team in NFL history. Also as I've mentioned a million times the 2012 season was a fucked up season due to missing key players the whole season due to various circumstances (Jahvid Best, Titus Young, Nate Burleson, Ryan Broyles, Tony Scheller). Literally all of our WR/TE/RB corp was hurt except for Megatron.

Wouldn't surprise me if they fired the coordinators--something that should have been done last year. They're always a year behind. Then, next year Schwartz gets canned and I return as a fan.

squicken

Wouldn't surprise me if they fired the coordinators--something that should have been done last year. They're always a year behind. Then, next year Schwartz gets canned and I return as a fan.

Schoob and Kubiak sent me to the desert in 2010. Took 4 years. Bring lots of water

I heard Mort on the radio today say that the Lions are leaning towards bringing back Schwartz but firing his whole staff. LOL if they actually do that. Kas is going to be the only Lion fan left.

I have said get Linehan and Cunninghan out of there. That could work if the O. Cordinator could work to make Stafford better.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lions fans can be happy things are not as dysfunctional as they are in Washington

Shanny and his 'lil boy sound like tools, but what coach is going to want to be there when Snyder has Thanksgiving dinner with the QB and occasional dinners at tony restaurants around town?

We're not as dysfunctional as we used to be. Ford Sr. had some weird loyalty to Millen for some reason. Ford Jr. is competent and wants a winning football team, and will let professionals handle it unlike Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones or Al Davis Jr.

Looking back the ideal thing to do would've been to fire Schwartz after 4-12 and hire Chip Kelly. But we didn't and the reason is Ford Jr. knew how badly his dad fucked up the franchise for a decade, and how much work was needed to fix it. He gave Schwartz the benefit of the doubt for one more year As much as we rag on Schwartz now he did change the culture from the Rod Marrinelli era. It's been downhill since 2011 since we've run the same old gameplan, but Ford Jr. knows what he is doing.

For reference Rod Marrinelli coached high school football at Rosemead High School in Los Angeles which is about 10 miles from where I played ball. He had no business being an NFL coach but somehow Matt Millen thought he was.

But there is no chance in hell Schwartz or any of the staff is here next year. I'm really nervous about our hire and don't know who I want.

I just want to continue a 4-3 defense with Suh and Fairley. That is my main concern.

Ronda Rousey is kinda hot but girl has no chill. I don't mind a little bit of attitude, but she's the type of broad to put ya ass in a sleeper hold without hesitation if you say the wrong thing to her.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
There should be some commission to strip ownership from owners who try to run a team like they know what the fuck they're doing and playing fantasy football.

It'll never happen, and the NFL has the best balance out of any league, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Raiders and Raiders fans (I guess it was my upbringing in LA) and want to see that franchise become relevant someday.

squicken

There should be some commission to strip ownership from owners who try to run a team like they know what the fuck they're doing and playing fantasy football.

It'll never happen, and the NFL has the best balance out of any league, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Raiders and Raiders fans (I guess it was my upbringing in LA) and want to see that franchise become relevant someday.

Snyder loves a name, and is a pathetic jock sniffer. But I think most owners meddle, they just don't put their names on it

Top Bottom