• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady can match Brees his consecutive games with a TD against the Saints in 3 weeks if he manages to throw one against the Falcons and the Bengals each.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/88487/nfl-week-3-quarterback-report

Rams also lead the league in drops per both ESPN and PFF. So take that Giants

Stafford had the best downfield game of the year, completing 7 of 9 passes for 200 yards on passes that traveled at least 15 yards downfield. In the big picture, Stafford has thrown for 1,020 yards already -- an unsustainable pace of 5,440 yards. Or is it?

The kas prophecy is coming true!

rando14

We'll see. I personally think Seattle is going to beat the hell outta the texans. Maybe not jags bad... But pretty bad. We can't go vertical against the first 3 teams we played.. The Texans might be shut out in this next game.

Also you are right. I am listening to 610 and payne is clearly annoyed with schaub lol

Nah yall are at home and have an elite defense, I cant imagine it not being a close, low-scoring game

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
With regard to bad offensive line play, the new practice limits in the new CBA are probably a large factor. The NFL should really try to renegotiate that point under their current SAFETY FIRST banner even if it's bullshit to do so.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is the trend to watch. Offensive line play is shit everywhere. I think part of it is teams won't run. I think what they may have to do is just commit to the run, even if it isn't working for much of the game. Of course that's hard when runs on first and second down leave you with 3rd and 7, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Even Aaron Rodgers got shook by the hits
The stat is BS. Give me the percentage of sacks per drop backs. Lazy journalism from Brandt.

jmdajr

We'll see. I personally think Seattle is going to beat the hell outta the texans. Maybe not jags bad... But pretty bad. We can't go vertical against the first 3 teams we played.. The Texans might be shut out in this next game.

Also you are right. I am listening to 610 and payne is clearly annoyed with schaub lol

If we put up less points than the Jags....that's going to be something

original.gif

Lots of 9er hate going on in this thread. I guess it's fun to hate on a good team that's down on it's luck.

Sunday was definitely ugly, but I think once the team settles into a new identity, Kap steps it up a bit, and Crabtree comes back, the team could be very dangerous again. They might have to go in as a wildcard, but they will be in the dance.

squicken

The kas prophecy is coming true!

I would be very interested to see a composite "Against WAS pass defense" and "Against STL pass defense" at the end of the year. Both teams are brutal. WAS has given up more yards, but STL is allowing a 70% completion percentage against. In Dallas opening drive they had the ball for like 5:00 and never had a 3rd down

I'd rather not change anything too dramatically with the defense. The same core group gave up plenty of yards last season, but generated turnovers and were decent in the redzone. They showed shades of that yesterday, allowing the Lions to go down the field but hold them in the redzone when it really mattered on a few occasions, I think redzone defense should be the priority to improve.

As for getting the full salary cap next year, it is my understanding that a lot of the vets who restructured this year for us to comply with the penalty will have their salary loaded into the next few years. We'll be dealing with the penalty for the next few years. I certainly don't see us going out and winning a bidding war for Byrd.

That defense last year was covered up completely by how good the offense was. Controlling time of possession kept them off the field but we still ended up having to win shoot outs most nights.

And as for the cap, we're going to be in a decent position.

http://fanspeak.com/washingtonredskins/2013/09/20/redskins-2014-salary-cap-situation/

We should have around 25 mil to play with minimum and that's before cuts. Fletch will be gone and so will Merriweather nevermind other guys.

harSon

Banned
Lots of 9er hate going on in this thread. I guess it's fun to hate on a good team that's down on it's luck.

Sunday was definitely ugly, but I think once the team settles into a new identity, Kap steps it up a bit, and Crabtree comes back, the team could be very dangerous again. They might have to go in as a wildcard, but they will be in the dance.

Should have kept Alex Smith

jakncoke

Banned

Thats what you get when you sucked for 10 years then a horde come in like devo and such and run rampant also fmt can be a insufferable bastard although since being married his ball sack is firmly in his misses purse and no long we get epic posts.

Kacar

Might as well keep him. I understand one more strike and he's gone for a year but really having him here won't affect us grabbing another top flight WR in the draft anyways.

Why trade him and hope to get a #1 WR when we potentially have one in him already?

Its the same way I feel about the speculation that we'd trade Joe Thomas. We'd need to be getting back a ransom to even consider moving him.
Yea I just know Lombardi hated the pick and have heard talks about it. Lombardi just worries me. If his hate trade fingers start tingling he can gladly trade weeden.

Bowser

Yea I just know Lombardi hated the pick and have heard talks about it. Lombardi just worries me. If his hate trade fingers start tingling he can gladly trade weeden.

Lombardi is a eunich. We all know Banner and Chud are running that team.

I love coming to work on a Monday morning after a Ravens win and Niners loss. Then I get to do fun things like IM friends at work and have "conversations" like this:

8:57 AM *********, Larry E.
-HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYO!!!!
-Somebody's team is losing alot....
-Rob.....how come you guys lose at home?
-I thought it was suposed to be some sort of advantage
-and you guys are already "good" so, how come you lost?
-because we won at home
-and we're supposed to be "average"
-yet we won
-PS Niners Suck
-Kaep Sucks
-Aldon Smith is a loser
-and the Niners are classless for playing him
-piece of shit organization
-doo doo
-for reals
-'dems some EDITED
-the Niners
-I'm talkin about
-I'm not done
-your team is in last place
-the Seahawks are already 2 games above you
-we are already above you
-and we have rings
-for days
-OVER the Niners
-how many rings do you have.....OVER the Ravens
-none
-that's how many
-because you lost in the Superbowl
-while we won
-despite the blackout
-we won because we were better
-better then
-better now
-Kaep is a bum
-big nose
-crap beard

-9:03 AM**********, Larry E
--he's the diarrhea of QBs
-no one wants it because it sucks
-and burns your asshole
-like Kaep
-he burns all assholes
-he is the king of assholes
-Douche Master General
-also, Boldin sucks
-he left us, had a little residual Baltimore juice
-200 yards, 15 catches
-loses Baltimore juice
-shit yards, shit catches
-shit QB
-bring em down
-those expectations
-get ready for the sadness
-the disapoint
-because once again, it's Baltimore's year
-and once again, you guys are irrelevant
-oh yeah
-FUCK the lesser harbaugh
-he is a bad, bad coach

Bowser

Griffin said in a postgame radio interview that he knows the ground can cause a fumble if a runner goes to the ground head first on his own and isn’t touched by the defense. Griffin also knows that if he had slid feet-first, the play would have ended as soon as he went into his slide, and if he had dropped the ball when he hit the ground it would not have been a fumble.

“Yeah, it’s the rule,” Griffin said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “And it’s a stupid rule. You’d think if you declare yourself down that you’d be down. I mean, I wasn’t falling. I was trying to get down to avoid a hit, slide, be out there for my team. Knee down, elbow down, and then the ball comes out. According to them, it’s a fumble. That’s just the way it goes. It just sucks.”

lol u mad bro? I think he's lying that he knows the rule btw, as evidenced by the fact that he kept motioning he was down after the Lions recovered.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thats what you get when you sucked for 10 years then a horde come in like devo and such and run rampant also fmt can be a insufferable bastard although since being married his ball sack is firmly in his misses purse and no long we get epic posts.
Nothing stops this karma train.

squicken

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
Aaron Rodgers: 9-26 (.257) when needing a 4QC/GWD; 49-5 (.907) in all other games; largest gap ever.

Trailing 34-30 with 3:47 remaining on Sunday, Aaron Rodgers had a chance to lead a game-winning touchdown drive to help the Green Bay Packers escape with a victory in Cincinnati. With the stage set for a classic finish after a wild game, this should have been a legacy-growing moment for the player many believe is the best quarterback in the NFL, right?

Not so fast. The Packers are just 5-24 (.172) in games when Rodgers had the ball in the fourth quarter, trailing by 1-8 points. Five comebacks in 29 tries? Tony Romo, considered by some to be a choker, led five comeback wins in the 2012 season alone. Among active starters, only Cam Newton (2-16) has a worse record than Rodgers.

Rodgers' 5-24 record in comeback efforts includes an 0-18 mark against teams that finished the season .500 or better. That could grow to 0-20 depending on what the 49ers and Bengals do this season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9711636/nfl-why-aaron-rodgers-not-truly-great

Anyway, thoughts on the game.

I feel better about this loss. Interior o-line is improving - Decastro probably had his best game last night. Really managed to spring some runs, decent in pass pro.

There is a competition for Larry Foote's vacated Buck spot. After last night I think the competition is over. Vince Williams won. He had the majority of the snaps and managed to be a force. Shy of the Matt Forte run (which i'll get to) Steelers were stout and blowing up plays in the backfield.

...But for that run. I said it before but Ryan Clark already has one foot out the door. He's missing far too many tackles. Probably dreaming about that ESPN analyst job waiting for him. It's good that Golden is getting snaps.

Woodley is going to have a big season no matter how shit the Steelers end up being. I don't know what finally spurred him to get in shape but it's paying dividends on the field.

William Gay has one of the best players on the field this season. Weird huh?

The good news:

The run game got going and we generated a bit of pass rush.

The bad news:

They both disappeared at the end of the game.

Dare I say that Holmes looked better at LT than Baker had in the first two games.

I don't see us getting a turnover against the Vikings.

Up until the beginning of the 4th quarter for a period of like 6 minutes we have been absolute shit at tackling and stopping the run (that period of competence was limited as Cutler ran it up ass as soon as we got within 4).

The Vikings would rather run than pass and it is going to expose how bad our run game is. Unless Ponder literally gives us the ball I don't see a TO next week. I do see our team getting embarrassed and giving up 200+ yards to AP, with at least 5 runs over 15 yards.
So do we get a TO against Geno or do we get our first against Pryor? Hard to imagine us not getting at least one against those two guys.

effzee

Interesting points I heard about the 49ers, Kap, and the read option in general.

Guys like Phil Simms are of the opinion that the read option has already been figured out and the NFL has caught up to it.

Then I hear guys like Dilfer who say its not that teams have figured out how to defend it, its just that teams aren't running it enough. His point was 49ers need to run mainly out of the read option because they themselves are shying away from it to protect their QBs.

Eagles on the other hand are running it almost exclusively and outside of the Chiefs game its working really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom