• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

ESPN is questioning if Rodgers is clutch.
What kind of question is that?

That is like asking if Tom Brady has a penis.

The answer to both is an obvious no!

:lol Fraudgers choking against the Bungles. That is even worse than getting outclassed than them! They were trying to give us the game for 60 minutes, we just didn't have the talent to take what they were offering. The Packers have the talent, but their qb didn't have the nerve to take it!

Tannehill was sacked 5 times yesterday. That's not bueno. Our OL needs to cover him better or he'll continue to risk getting injured.

Next week is the Saints.
He's been sacked more than any other QB in the league (by 3, even). Pass protection has been absolutely abysmal but he's also held on to the ball too long at times. It's a really rough combo.

On top of the o-line issues, the RB's and TE's have been horrible in pass pro as well. Dion Sims and Daniel Thomas gave up a sack yesterday with atrocious blocking.

There is no way Tannehill makes it through the season without missing time at this rate.

effzee

don't think any team will fall off like that.. but maybe the Chiefs

Yeah obviously the Chiefs D is legit but even the putrid Eagles D held the Chiefs in check.

I don't see how they hang with the Broncos. Chargers, even though they are 1-2, are playing better.

But yeah right now the Chiefs look mighty impressive.

Coaching staff is doing the best to lay utter waste to the Rams season as early as possible.

Walton and Schotty, not to mention Fassel. All "performing" like scrubs.

Fassel? As in Jim Fassel of the Giants fame?

I thought he was blacklisted from the NFL for some reason? What does he do for the Rams?

jakncoke

Banned
Wheaton snap count at 8, he might be up to 1/3 a games snap counts by seasons end! Although if he catches that ball I bet he would be getting even more

effzee

Seen on Twitter: 2 years ago Heinz Field was destroyed in the Dark Knight and the Steelers haven't been the same since #thebaneeffect

:jnc

On that note I just remembered* while I was at the Eagles game on TNF, they kept playing the Bane theme on 3rd downs while the Eagles D was on the field.

Me and my wife were like WTF? Isn't that highly inappropriate considering what Bane did? Oh well I love the theme so it got me pumped up.

* I had to remember because I have been trying to bang my head against the wall to forget that game :(

Hunter S.

Man = Broncos
Door= Raiders

very_angry_gif.gif

Greg

Finally, after 2.5 months all my exams are over!

Freedom, Beer, staying up til 5 AM for football and GTA V are allowed back in my life again!
Party!

Yeah the numbers are what they are but it was night and day watching him see and attack holes while Starks just kind of attacks a pile.

It was a fun game to be at. Reminded me a lot of the Colts game which I was also at.
I blame you for the loss, but I'm glad you had a good time.

ESPN is questioning if Rodgers is clutch.
The question would make sense if Rodgers looked good at any point yesterday, but he didn't.

Although Rodgers after a bad game + McCarthy coming out of bye week... I almost feel bad for what will happen to the Lions.

squicken

Thoughts on the Niners/Colts:

We're in trouble. Week 1 is looking like a total misnomer in making us think that losing Crabs wasn't going to be as big a deal; it is a big deal, and we're suffering. Our WR corp is extremely subpar right now, and not having Vernon yesterday was brutal.

Kap is in the midst of a hard, hard slump as well, that I think our questionable playcalling is only making worse. I've never been a big fan of Roman, because for all of his genius and uniqueness, he often calls inexplicable change for the sake of change, and forces the pass in situations that don't require it (Eagles fans know what I'm talking here).

Also, our D... Ouch. Not only are the injuries mounting, but Aldon is likely gone for a month now, and thus our pass rush is going to be anemic. Without a pass rush, our major weakness, garbage corners, shows its ugly face. We need Lemonier and Brooks to step up huge.

Thursday is a must win to cull this avalanche. Must. Win.

Your WRs are ass. Teams are playing press and loading up for the run. Kap has to hold the ball waiting for receivers to get open that never do. Right now it is the worst WR corps in the league. The Pats have talent that just needs to grow up. SF has very little talent there.

Don't worry. Even against the worst receivers the Rams CBs play off 15 yards. Kap can pitch and catch all day to 300 yards, while the Rams DL and LB eat every block as Gore goes for 150

Your WRs are ass. Teams are playing press and loading up for the run. Kap has to hold the ball waiting for receivers to get open that never do. Right now it is the worst WR corps in the league. The Pats have talent that just needs to grow up. SF has very little talent there.

Don't worry. Even against the worst receivers the Rams CBs play off 15 yards. Kap can pitch and catch all day to 300 yards, while the Rams DL and LB eat every block as Gore goes for 150
So remind me again how you decide who to pull for each season? I know Colts and Rams are the two big teams but do you wait to see who looks more promising and then just go all in with them?

MechDX

Colts are probably winning the division

Texans are hot garbage.

Its all on schaubiak. Defense played good but the play calling and scahaubs deceptive speed is mind numbingly depressing.

I would like just one member of the media to call out Kubiak. No one on the team will. i knew when we ran the stupid bubble screens and draw plays before the snap. If I get it then I know other teams do.

Seth Payne actually was pretty adimant about it last night. Will probably be "silenced" by the McNairs or just vanish

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just dont know how a player wouldnt realize that part of their finger is broken off. I mean like when my cousin cut off the top of her finger in an ice grinding machine (snowball stand) she fucking KNEW IT immediately.

Yeah, I don't know how he could just brush off the pain... there had to be pain right?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'd like to state that after the game last night, the Steelers made the right decision signing Brown instead of Wallace.

BigAT

So Giants Bros. We're kindred spirits! Why are you guys here in hell?

Where to begin. The offensive line has been truly dreadful, the running backs barely look like NFL players (although they get hit before they can even get to the line of scrimmage more often than not), Eli has been forcing things and turning the ball over too much, the offense is terrible in the red zone, the pass rush has been non-existent, they don't have a single linebacker that would start on any other NFL team and the secondary has not stepped up to replace guys that are out.

It isn't surprising that the Giants (44.3 YPG) and the Steelers (51.7 YPG) are the worst and second worst rushing teams in the league right now. The two teams are also tied for last when it comes to sacks. Two organizations known for pounding the run and creating defensive pressure are failing badly in both of those aspects of the game.

Colts have a better quarterback and their play calling is vertical rather than horizontal. Acquiring Richardson makes them even more dangerous.

Texans should really be 0-3. It's physically painful for me to watch this team on offense. Them calling some dumbass loop screen play on 4th down sealed it for me. This horizontal pass game won't get you anywhere in the nfl. Kubiak been here 8 years. He won't change anything. Getting Shane lechler on this team might have actually been a backfire. Because he is an amazing punter it gives that big headed aggie on the sidelines even more incentive to throw the ball sideways on 3rd down.

Seahawks are going to run train on them boys this Sunday

If I were the GM I'd look to move Foster, Shaub and AJ for picks asap and go full tank.

Release the coaching staff.

Apologize to fans for tanking by bringing in Johnny Football (CHING CHING CHING)

Pray the Jags pick the best QB available and draft Clowney.

Quick turn around.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
*hugs Kave. Im happy for you guys! Dont crater the season. Fight for some respect! I hate when teams crater for the first pick. Thats quitting, and its bullshit. It it is a fuck you to the fans pretty much.

Chud needed that win. A loss there and he definitely would have lost the room.

Sucks for Weeden though as Gondo said. I knew he wouldn't last here. Was just hoping he'd be credible enough to hold the fort until our drafted QB is ready to start.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Giants game was miserable. I was at a bar so my laptop was safe.

I think that the NFL is in for a bit of trouble regarding salaries going forward unless they greatly increase the salary cap itself. If you look at the landscape of the NFL as it currently stands, the teams that are paying their QBs the typically expected franchise QB money are in trouble. Take a look at this;

Philip Rivers - 6 year $92 Mil ($38 mil guaranteed)

Eli Manning - 6 year $97.5 Mil ($35 mil guaranteed)

Ben Roethlisberger - 8 years $102 Mil ($33.2 Mil guaranteed)

Tom Brady - 4 year $72 million ($48.5 mil guaranteed)

Joe Flacco - 6 year $120.6 Mil ($22 Mil guaranteed)

Drew Brees - 5 years, $100 Mil ($40 mil guaranteed)

And to a lesser extent:

Aaron Rodgers - 6 years $65 mil - expires at the end of next season.

The NFL salary cap for 2013 is $123 million.

My argument is that these teams either currently have had or will have major issues at many positions. Free agency is dead for those teams, and a lot will depend on how well they will be able to re-stock via the drafts.I'm not saying it's the only reason some of these teams are struggling in recent years, but I believe it's been a tough pill to take for some. The Chargers went from perennial power house while on the rookie contract for Phil Rivers to a laughing stock, and are only now looking a little more respectable. The Steelers and Giants have experienced rapid season over season decline despite having won 4 super bowls combined in recent years. The Pats have been lucky to play in what has collectively been one of the worst divisions in the league or more cracks would be visible (shoddy D, bad skill position play).

Is this just the reality of the NFL with the current structure of free agency and the cap? In order to experience success, do teams have to land that QB and then just load up to the teeth for what is going to be an increasingly smaller window to win? What do you guys think?

I don't know how they are relative to a competent o-line but they sacked Tannehill five times yesterday. It's not like he wasn't feeling the pressure.

You have a bad o-line though don't you? I don't really put much stock in a lot of sacks in that regard. It does speak well to Tannhill that he didn't let the pressure rattle him though.

I didn't see the game - how was Wallace?

I'm trying to figure out how Cam Newton put up 40 in fantasy while Steve Smith and Olsen were on my roster and had less than 10 each.

Did he just target scrubs all night or run wild or wat

MechDX

If I were the GM I'd look to move Foster, Shaub and AJ for picks asap and go full tank.

Apologize to fans for tanking by bringing in Johnny Football (CHING CHING CHING)

Quick turn around.

Some good ideas, some terrible.

Trade Schaub. Someone would take him

Fire Kubiak. Keep Dennison as OC. Kubiak calls plays give Dennison a chance. No need to change a good scheme that can work and personal already in place

Give TJ a chance with a short leash. He falters, Keenum time.

HC would be Wade in mid season. Bring in HC that wouldn't change scheme.

Want mo part of Manziel.none

jakncoke

Banned

Quick turn around.

Johnny Football going to amount to fuck in the pros. Mech will definitely jump off a bridge if what you said happened

cajunator

Banned
Where to begin. The offensive line has been truly dreadful, the running backs barely look like NFL players (although they get hit before they can even get to the line of scrimmage more often than not), Eli has been forcing things and turning the ball over too much, the offense is terrible in the red zone, the pass rush has been non-existent, they don't have a single linebacker that would start on any other NFL team and the secondary has not stepped up to replace guys that are out.

It isn't surprising that the Giants (44.3 YPG) and the Steelers (51.7 YPG) are the worst and second worst rushing teams in the league right now. The two teams are also tied for last when it comes to sacks. Two organizations known for pounding the run and creating defensive pressure are failing badly in both of those aspects of the game.

Basically I think Eli is pressing like Brees did last year because the rest of the team is total fucking garbage.

I think that the NFL is in for a bit of trouble regarding salaries going forward unless they greatly increase the salary cap itself. If you look at the landscape of the NFL as it currently stands, the teams that are paying their QBs the typically expected franchise QB money are in trouble. Take a look at this;

And to a lesser extent:

My argument is that these teams either currently have had or will have major issues at many positions. Free agency is dead for those teams, and a lot will depend on how well they will be able to re-stock via the drafts.I'm not saying it's the only reason some of these teams are struggling in recent years, but I believe it's been a tough pill to take for some. The Chargers went from perennial power house while on the rookie contract for Phil Rivers to a laughing stock, and are only now looking a little more respectable. The Steelers and Giants have experienced rapid season over season decline despite having won 4 super bowls combined in recent years. The Pats have been lucky to play in what has collectively been one of the worst divisions in the league or more cracks would be visible (shoddy D, bad skill position play).

Is this just the reality of the NFL with the current structure of free agency and the cap? In order to experience success, do teams have to land that QB and then just load up to the teeth for what is going to be an increasingly smaller window to win? What do you guys think?

The main player that needs to be signed on the Saints is Graham. Can cut some veterans to make room if necessary but I understand your point. Cap space is very limited and QB signings make up a gigantic percentage of it. However a franchise QB is a special commodity and has to be retained for a team to be decently and reliably competitive. Its possible to scrape by with mediocre QB play but in an increasingly pass happy league the QB position is more important than it has ever been.

I'm trying to figure out how Cam Newton put up 40 in fantasy while Steve Smith and Olsen were on my roster and had less than 10 each.

Passing touchdowns were to LaFell (twice) and Ginn.

In addition to a rushing TD.

Olsen and Smith had the most receptions of anyone on the team (and definitely the most targets), but Shula's gameplan to go to them on more underneath routes, while Ted Ginn ran deeper routes over the top.

jmdajr

Quick turn around.

Damn, that's hurtful. Poor Kubes.

jakncoke

Banned

Olsen and Smith had the most targets. Laffell and Ginn got the tds + Cam ran one in

And to a lesser extent:

NFL is overvaluing the QB position and undervaluing all else. You're going to see teams offer much less for all other positions to compensate for paying franchise QBs.

Smokey

Its all on schaubiak. Defense played good but the play calling and scahaubs deceptive speed is mind numbingly depressing.

I would like just one member of the media to call out Kubiak. No one on the team will. i knew when we ran the stupid bubble screens and draw plays before the snap. If I get it then I know other teams do.

Seth Payne actually was pretty adimant about it last night. Will probably be "silenced" by the McNairs or just vanish

No one on 610 is going to criticize the team the way they should. Too close to home.

Quick turn around.

I really can't tell if it's schaub or Kubiak that is responsible for this offense. Is Kubiak calling these garbage plays because schaub sucks? Or is schaub by default just looking at his TEs for 5 yards here and there?

Really schaub is Alex smith tier. Alex smith might even be better since he can run. They both refuse to take shots down field, but one can make move his feet if he has to.

Stuck with Alex smith jr the and big headed aggie for next 2 years is a great feeling.

MechDX

Agreed Welli, QB salaries are out of control. If they done do something soon Niners, Seahawks, Colts, Panthers will all be in the same shit boat within a few years.

You have a bad o-line though don't you? I don't really put much stock in a lot of sacks in that regard. It does speak well to Tannhill that he didn't let the pressure rattle him though.

I didn't see the game - how was Wallace?
He didn't do much (2 catches for 22 yards). He was questionable with a groin injury going into the game and honestly I'm thinking that caused them to tone down his role significantly. Tannehill rarely looked to Wallace first and unlike last week they never tried running a screen or short pass to him from what I could tell. I think he was mostly out there as a decoy. Still, his presence is always felt, and I think it allowed the other guys to really get involved (6 catches for Hartline, 4 for Gibson, Matthews and Clay).

MechDX

No one on 610 is going to criticize the team the way they should. Too close to home.

I really can't tell if it's schaub or Kubiak that is responsible for this offense. Is Kubiak calling these garbage plays because schaub sucks? Or is schaub by default just looking at his TEs for 5 yards here and there?

Really schaub is Alex smith tier. Alex smith might even be better since he can run. They both refuse to take shots down field, but one can make move his feet if he has to.

Stuck with Alex smith jr the and big headed aggie for next 2 years is a great feeling.

Why I said Payne will vanish. He made some comments on Twitter this morning as well. The best we can hope for is some HGH ridden Seahawk to break Schaub.

All the Bengals have to do is secure the football. They really let the Bears off the hook. Should be 3-0... well, actually, they should be 2-1, with Packers game as the loss. lol

Basically, everything had to go wrong for the Packers in the last 20 minutes of play for the Bengals to win. I'm so used to this kind of shit as a Bengals fan. Not sure how to react to it on the other side of a "Bungle."

Same thing happened with the Reds against the Pirates 3 days earlier... It really doesn't feel good to win like that, but it feels multitudes better than being on the other side of it.

Also, people from Wisconsin are pretty friendly, on a side note.

LevelNth

Banned

What's interesting is that I wonder if, for the long term, what's happening now is for the best. Kap was on a trajectory that was damn dangerous, waaaay too much praise for a guy who still hasn't played as many games as Luck et al did as of Week 15 last year.

I'm hoping this will bring him back down a bit and humble him more, and allow us more leeway for a bridge-esque 2nd contract for him rather than going all Flacco. You never go all Flacco.

At the very least it's not as if we're in a win-now situation or else, we have a very even amount of new contracts coming up and old one's going out in the next 3 years, and we again have the most picks in the draft next year, with 5 in the first 3 rounds.

All the Bengals have to do is secure the football. They really let the Bears off the hook. Should be 3-0... well, actually, they should be 2-1, with Packers game as the loss. lol

Basically, everything had to go wrong for the Packers in the last 20 minutes of play for the Bengals to win. I'm so used to this kind of shit as a Bengals fan. Not sure how to react to it on the other side of a "Bungle."

dennis-green-bears-o.gif

Absolutely.

Next question. When will the Steelers D force a turnover? If they don't get one in London I have to believe they can make Geno cough it up.

Just a matter of time. They're actually getting home this year, whereas last year they were getting stuffed by warm bodies on offense. Locker didn't even bother throwing it and Dalton's hard to get to since he throws it so quick.

Seeing the team this year the team made the right decision getting rid of Harrison. The most telling thing last week on MNF was Harrison looking at his workout videos and flat out saying "I can't do this shit much longer".

jakncoke

Banned
Absolutely.

Next question. When will the Steelers D force a turnover? If they don't get one in London I have to believe they can make Geno cough it up.

The 2006 Redskins got 12 turnovers. Time to see if Steelers can match or break that. Also holy shit the 1978 49ers turned over the ball 63 times. Nearly 4 a game on average, Good thing fmt and crew werent alive watching football then. They'd go mad

edit; lol they fumbled it 56 times that year, Threw 36 picks

squicken

G

I've seen this argument in other places. That teams' window is early in the career of the QB b/c of the salary flexibility. But a league wide trend is that sacks are up. No one can block anymore, be it run block or pass block. There just aren't free agent OL of any value out there in the offseason

KingGondo

Banned
Chud needed that win. A loss there and he definitely would have lost the room.

Sucks for Weeden though as Gondo said. I knew he wouldn't last here. Was just hoping he'd be credible enough to hold the fort until our drafted QB is ready to start.
They just need to trade him at this point. Get whatever you can and send him to Jacksonville or Minny.

Also, I think he would've performed about as well as Hoyer did yesterday with Gordon back.

Gordon is a game-changer, and even more so on our team. We have jack shit besides him at WR. It'll be interesting to see if Banner follows through and trades him.

bionic77

Absolutely.

I don't see us getting a turnover against the Vikings.

Up until the beginning of the 4th quarter for a period of like 6 minutes we have been absolute shit at tackling and stopping the run (that period of competence was limited as Cutler ran it up ass as soon as we got within 4).

The Vikings would rather run than pass and it is going to expose how bad our run game is. Unless Ponder literally gives us the ball I don't see a TO next week. I do see our team getting embarrassed and giving up 200+ yards to AP, with at least 5 runs over 15 yards.

Tom Penny

Some good ideas, some terrible.

Trade Schaub. Someone would take him

Fire Kubiak. Keep Dennison as OC. Kubiak calls plays give Dennison a chance. No need to change a good scheme that can work and personal already in place

Give TJ a chance with a short leash. He falters, Keenum time.

HC would be Wade in mid season. Bring in HC that wouldn't change scheme.

Want mo part of Manziel.none

Why? Texans beat the Chargers who are a shitload better than the Jets.

jakncoke

Banned
Gordon accepted an athletic scholarship to play football for Baylor University. However on October 2010, during his sophomore year he and teammate Willie Jefferson were found asleep at a local Taco Bell. Police found marijuana in Jefferson’s car. Jefferson, who was driving, was kicked off the team due to it being his second violation, but Gordon was not suspended.[7][8]

too funny.

Also so I was looking at this wiki, How again is Josh Gordon next offense a year long suspension?

I don't see us getting a turnover against the Vikings.

Up until the beginning of the 4th quarter for a period of like 6 minutes we have been absolute shit at tackling and stopping the run (that period of competence was limited as Cutler ran it up ass as soon as we got within 4).

The Vikings would rather run than pass and it is going to expose how bad our run game is. Unless Ponder literally gives us the ball I don't see a TO next week. I do see our team getting embarrassed and giving up 200+ yards to AP, with at least 5 runs over 15 yards.

I can see Polamalu confusing Ponder and Polamalu be lucky and being in the right place for once in coverage and getting a int

squicken

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Speaking of sacks, there were 97 in Week 3 (w/ 1 game left), third most in @nfl history. Week 11 1986: 102, Week 8 2001: 98

This is the trend to watch. Offensive line play is shit everywhere. I think part of it is teams won't run. I think what they may have to do is just commit to the run, even if it isn't working for much of the game. Of course that's hard when runs on first and second down leave you with 3rd and 7, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Even Aaron Rodgers got shook by the hits

Johnny Football going to amount to fuck in the pros. Mech will definitely jump off a bridge if what you said happened

With the way the league is now you have to be awful not to be successful at QB.

I think Manziel is at least Schaub and Smith tier personally. A&M doesn't run a gimmick offense and Johnny has shit on Alabama twice now like it wasn't nothing. I'd take a flyer on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom