• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the trend to watch. Offensive line play is shit everywhere. I think part of it is teams won't run. I think what they may have to do is just commit to the run, even if it isn't working for much of the game. Of course that's hard when runs on first and second down leave you with 3rd and 7, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Even Aaron Rodgers got shook by the hits

We're about to see the normalization back to having a strong running game again. Gotta protect those 100 million QBs.

effzee

This is the trend to watch. Offensive line play is shit everywhere. I think part of it is teams won't run. I think what they may have to do is just commit to the run, even if it isn't working for much of the game. Of course that's hard when runs on first and second down leave you with 3rd and 7, but I'm not sure what else there is to do. Even Aaron Rodgers got shook by the hits

I think teams still have to commit. Pass D is so difficult so everyone wants to pass all game and put up the big #s but if you want to protect your QB, limit turnovers, and control the clock you have to run the ball.

It doesn't matter if you only get a yard or two. Coaches don't seem to have the patience anymore to do so. Reid was ahead of the curve.

Kacar

Can't decide if it would end up helping more if we do trade Gordon. I know he has 2 strikes against him already but he seems to be really coming into his own.

Just put him in the team facility and never let him leave!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No one on 610 is going to criticize the team the way they should. Too close to home.
Bullshit, the morning show trashed kubiak and schaub all morning. Seth payne just came on, practically yelling in the microphone about the dumb 4th and 2 screen pass, not throwing beyond the sticks on 3rd down, the TAINT, punt return TD, Meltser just said if this keeps up there's going to be a new QB soon. Just because they are the official radio station for the Texans mean they're homers.

I really can't tell if it's schaub or Kubiak that is responsible for this offense. Is Kubiak calling these garbage plays because schaub sucks? Or is schaub by default just looking at his TEs for 5 yards here and there?

Really schaub is Alex smith tier. Alex smith might even be better since he can run. They both refuse to take shots down field, but one can make move his feet if he has to.

Stuck with Alex smith jr the and big headed aggie for next 2 years is a great feeling.
They're not stuck with anyone. The way they structured Schaubs contract, they can release him after this year and its not too bad in the salary cap hit. They can release kubiak anytime, just up to Mr McNair to pay whatever amount is left on the contract and a new coach.

As for your top question, I think its both, but i don't know that Kubiak is anymore aggressive with anyone else at QB. This offense is very odd. They look pretty damn good when they actually open it up, second half of the chargers game, 4th quarter and overtime of titans game, first quarter yesterday till they got to the redzone. But then they go all running game, i dont understand why they dont just say fuck it and throw the ball around like they do when their down.

But no one wants to talk about the piss poor o-line play either, even with duane brown out. Schaub cannot get away from pressure, this is nothing new, especially pressure up the middle, so the oline letting people through like that is never going to work out for a qb like schaub.

Kent Somers ✔ @kentsomers

S rashad Johnson lost top of right middle finger Sunday. Took glove off and finger was still in
8:05 AM - 23 Sep 2013

bth_ClintEastwoodEw.gif

YO DAMN

squicken

Can't decide if it would end up helping more if we do trade Gordon. I know he has 2 strikes against him already but he seems to be really coming into his own.

I don't see how you get value, so it's better just to keep him. He is so talented. Transforms that offense. Unless they want to lose. Then I guess they take whatever is offered. How will Browns fans feel if they get like a conditional 5th round pick?

jakncoke

Banned
With the way the league is now you have to be awful not to be successful at QB.

I think Manziel is at least Schaub and Smith tier personally. A&M doesn't run a gimmick offense and Johnny has shit on Alabama twice now like it wasn't nothing. I'd take a flyer on him.

You'll need it When RG0-III is hobbling around and being Palmer 2.0

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Is this just the reality of the NFL with the current structure of free agency and the cap? In order to experience success, do teams have to land that QB and then just load up to the teeth for what is going to be an increasingly smaller window to win? What do you guys think?
It's true to an extent. When your talent ages, specifically with the Giants and Steelers, you don't have an avenue left to replenish your team except for the draft. But you still need the qb, so you're screwed. It's best to take advantage while you can. Two Lombardis sure eases the pain. But let's be honest, how much of a window should you expect? I'd say that both of our teams have had almost a decade of prosperity. A few down years isn't that much of a price to pay.

Absolutely.

Next question. When will the Steelers D force a turnover? If they don't get one in London I have to believe they can make Geno cough it up.

The defense will start forcing turnovers when they get to play with a lead. The unfortunate truth is that there's a gameplan in place to beat the Steelers. Load the box against the offense, stop the run and rush 5 or more against the pass. Dink and dunk against the defense until they get tired, or William Gay gives up a big play. Teams don't need to get chunk yardage against the Steelers because they aren't playing from behind. That eliminates the pass rush, which is where Pittsburgh has always generated big plays.

captive

Why I said Payne will vanish. He made some comments on Twitter this morning as well. The best we can hope for is some HGH ridden Seahawk to break Schaub.

what world do you people live in? No one is going to get disappeared for talking shit about the Texans.

harSon

Banned
Thoughts on the Niners/Colts:

We're in trouble. Week 1 is looking like a total misnomer in making us think that losing Crabs wasn't going to be as big a deal; it is a big deal, and we're suffering. Our WR corp is extremely subpar right now, and not having Vernon yesterday was brutal.

Kap is in the midst of a hard, hard slump as well, that I think our questionable playcalling is only making worse. I've never been a big fan of Roman, because for all of his genius and uniqueness, he often calls inexplicable change for the sake of change, and forces the pass in situations that don't require it (Eagles fans know what I'm talking here).

Also, our D... Ouch. Not only are the injuries mounting, but Aldon is likely gone for a month now, and thus our pass rush is going to be anemic. Without a pass rush, our major weakness, garbage corners, shows its ugly face. We need Lemonier and Brooks to step up huge.

Thursday is a must win to cull this avalanche. Must. Win.

Regarding Kaep, you're seeing the effects of a "sophomore slump," or what happens to a young QB once opposing defenses have enough tape to construct a viable game plan. It happens to most QBs outside of the select few who are truly special.

Smokey

Bullshit, the morning show trashed kubiak and schaub all morning. Seth payne just came on, practically yelling in the microphone about the dumb 4th and 2 screen pass, not throwing beyond the sticks on 3rd down, the TAINT, punt return TD, Meltser just said if this keeps up there's going to be a new QB soon. Just because they are the official radio station for the Texans mean they're homers.

They're not stuck with anyone. The way they structured Schaubs contract, they can release him after this year and its not too bad in the salary cap hit. They can release kubiak anytime, just up to Mr McNair to pay whatever amount is left on the contract and a new coach.

As for your top question, I think its both, but i don't know that Kubiak is anymore aggressive with anyone else at QB. This offense is very odd. They look pretty damn good when they actually open it up, second half of the chargers game, 4th quarter and overtime of titans game, first quarter yesterday till they got to the redzone. But then they go all running game, i dont understand why they dont just say fuck it and throw the ball around like they do when their down.

But no one wants to talk about the piss poor o-line play either, even with duane brown out. Schaub cannot get away from pressure, this is nothing new, especially pressure up the middle, so the oline letting people through like that is never going to work out for a qb like schaub.

They are stuck with them because McNair isn't going to do shit about the situation. This is the guy who held onto David Carr bruh. The dude is the most loyal in the NFL to a fault. So while they can make the moves you said I guarantee it they will not. Even of this team misses the playoffs. The o line play is terrible that's true. Well then don't you think you'd like to have a qb who can mitigate some of that by being able to move? If you can't throw the ball more than a 10 yards you have to be able to do something as a qb. New age in the nfl and texans at qb are way behind. And so is this offense.

I also hate how they receive the ball every game. It always happens where we get screwed at the end of the half by a FG or TD. Oh guess what they get the ball coming out of the half with a chance for 3 or 7 more points. Everyone about that team over there is backwards.

You'll need it When RG0-III is hobbling around and being Palmer 2.0

Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

"On a scale of one to three, it was a four," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

Griff never had anything as significant as Carson.

And Griff looks better each week. If he keeps progressing at this rate he should be back to himself around years end.

Syrinx

Just saw a rumor on Twitter that Schiano might be in line to replace Mack Brown at Texas and that the wheels are already in motion.

Petrino 2.0?

On one hand, I think he needs to go. On the other, I want him held accountable and not for him to just say "fuck this, I'm going to UT".

Where's this rumor coming from?

bionic77

I can see Polamalu confusing Ponder and Polamalu be lucky and being in the right place for once in coverage and getting a int
Troy has been decent in getting in the backfield but he has rarely been near the ball in coverage.

I remember a few times where he was in the picture, but it hasn't been very often.

He has been decent on the blitz and occasionally guesses right on screens and runs. But even on obvious run plays he is guessing wrong as much as he is guessing right. He can blow somehow up in the backfield when they have zero momentum, but Troy and no one else on our team seems to be able to get into position and tackle someone with any momentum.

No one has caught on yet, but you should always run it on us in 3rd and short. Even if we close up the hole I feel like a strong back is just going to push our guys back 2 yards.

God we suck. :(

Colasante

I don't see how you get value, so it's better just to keep him. He is so talented. Transforms that offense. Unless they want to lose. Then I guess they take whatever is offered. How will Browns fans feel if they get like a conditional 5th round pick?

It wouldn't make sense for the Browns to trade Gordon for less than a 4th, if even that. He doesn't have an expensive contract and he's far better than any receiver they're likely to find in the 4th or later. Their best bet is to keep riding him and sell high to a receiver-desperate playoff team right before the deadline, or you know, they could always keep him and let Teddy Bridgewater turn him into an All Pro receiver.

cashman

Banned
SST Radio is reporting it. Their sources in Austin say it will likely by at the end of the year. I will laugh my ass off if it is true.

Texas fans hope for Saban, get Schiano instead. :jnc

yeah no way some hick radio station in the south has the inside scoop in UT athletics. Texas can and will do much better than Schiano.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Might as well keep him. I understand one more strike and he's gone for a year but really having him here won't affect us grabbing another top flight WR in the draft anyways.

Why trade him and hope to get a #1 WR when we potentially have one in him already?

Its the same way I feel about the speculation that we'd trade Joe Thomas. We'd need to be getting back a ransom to even consider moving him.

this_guy

Texans O-line is crap this year. Schaub and Kubiak are always crap so that's expected. If our line is going to be crap we need a more mobile QB, and there's 2 of them sitting behind Schaub right now.

This offense is frustrating to watch. In the comebacks against San Diego and Tennessee, when the offense opened up, I felt confident they could get the first down on 3rd and long. In this game it felt like the same old Texans. 3rd and long means a draw or short pass to the tight end short of the sticks.

squicken

It wouldn't make sense for the Browns to trade Gordon for less than a 4th, if even that. He doesn't have an expensive contract and he's far better than any receiver they're likely to find in the 4th or later. Their best bet is to keep riding him and sell high to a receiver-desperate playoff team right before the deadline, or you know, they could always keep him and let Teddy Bridgewater turn him into an All Pro receiver.

The Browns won't be in the Bridgewater sweepstakes if Gordon sticks around. They have a good defense and can win 3 games. That's why I think a trade would be telling. You can argue that Richardson wasn't really any good and that they are not much worse with him gone. But Gordon undoubtedly makes them better. If they trade him they cannot claim they aren't tanking

harSon

Banned
That Surface 2 looks nice. Too bad it's running Windows.

I <3 Windows.

Actually, I'm just too invested in Windows to make the jump to another OS. If I simply used computers to browse the internet and look at Youtube videos, I'd be willing to transition to another OS, but my usage is a shit ton deeper than that :/

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I would contribute it to adrenaline most likely. He probably was so pumped up from the game he didnt realize until action calmed down.

I just can't even imagine the feeling of dread to suddenly discover a part of my finger had been torn off.

Chili

I thought Griff looked good yesterday barring that silly throw on the interception and the fumble. He still needs to learn how to slide, hopefully feet first next time. That said, he showed enough mobility to extend plays, and that inside run he had (where he fumbled) was the first time I've seen him with any noticeable speed this season. His passes had much better zip to them, and that long throw to Robinson (the drop) looked more like the Griffin from last year. Still a lot of work to do, but the early bye week should help.

The defense though, I have no idea how to fix that. Maybe having a safety who can tackle instead of that damned fool Merriweather would be a start. It is telling of our safety depth that whenever someone goes down we use a corner to replace them even though we have vets like Reed Doughty on the sideline (who can tackle at least).

I thought Griff looked good yesterday barring that silly throw on the interception and the fumble. He still needs to learn how to slide, hopefully feet first next time. That said, he showed enough mobility to extend plays, and that inside run he had (where he fumbled) was the first time I've seen him with any noticeable speed this season. His passes had much better zip to them, and that long throw to Robinson (the drop) looked more like the Griffin from last year. Still a lot of work to do, but the early bye week should help.

The defense though, I have no idea how to fix that. Maybe having a safety who can tackle instead of that damned fool Merriweather would be a start. It is telling of our safety depth that whenever someone goes down we use a corner to replace them even though we have vets like Reed Doughty on the sideline (who can tackle at least).

If I had a DVR I'd make a gif sequence of the amount of times he whiffed with his head down trying to truck guys. It literally got comical when you'd see the dude come from off-screen charging in like a bull and hit nothing but air maybe 3, 4 times.

I'd personally like to go back to a 4-3 scheme and get rid of Haslett. His resume is trash and this defense was pretty good even during the shit years post Taylor (RIP) with the 4-3.

Then of course getting the full salary cap to work with we'll look like a completely different team next year imo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is this just the reality of the NFL with the current structure of free agency and the cap? In order to experience success, do teams have to land that QB and then just load up to the teeth for what is going to be an increasingly smaller window to win? What do you guys think?
It's absolutely a big part of it. With cheap rookie contracts you have the flexibility to go into free agency to plug holes as required, but when cap space is tight the team NEEDS to bring in rookie difference makers with each draft. Not only will these rookies be cap friendly, they will also be for longer contracts with the option of trading.

That's why our team's whiff on the 2013 Draft for the DT position is going to hurt. Sure, we got our RB of the future and a solid TE, but we won't have the ability to shore up our defensive line like we did once we start paying players like Sherman or Wilson. Now, Wilson might give us a huge discount as he's just that kind of guy, but other players probably won't. Fortunately, Carroll and Schneider are clearly aware of this and have already shown themselves willing to make hard decisions for the cap.

captive

They are stuck with them because McNair isn't going to do shit about the situation. This is the guy who held onto David Carr bruh. The dude is the most loyal in the NFL to a fault. So while they can make the moves you said I guarantee it they will not. Even of this team misses the playoffs. The o line play is terrible that's true. Well then don't you think you'd like to have a qb who can mitigate some of that by being able to move? If you can't throw the ball more than a 10 yards you have to be able to do something as a qb. New age in the nfl and texans at qb are way behind. And so is this offense.
Idunno, did you hear Rick Smith and McNair both, essentially called Schaub out this offseason?

I think if they miss the playoffs Kubiak is gone, if they go to the playoffs again and win one and lose or go one and done and Schaub keeps playing like he's playing, he's done here. But we'll see how it goes. McNair is a good owner, yes he is loyal, but he's grown a lot since he first came into the league.

I also hate how they receive the ball every game. It always happens where we get screwed at the end of the half by a FG or TD. Oh guess what they get the ball coming out of the half with a chance for 3 or 7 more points. Everyone about that team over there is backwards.
yes this drives me nuts, put your best unit on the field, the damn defense! Especially on the road, the fans are all hyped up and then have to be quiet for their offense and then they are buying shit and taking shits after half time when you get the ball.

Though, yesterday the Ravens won the toss and deferred.

jmdajr

Assuming both Niners and Texans lose again, the following will be the battle of most disappointing team.

Ah.... hey, remember the Reggie Bush bowl?

It's true to an extent. When your talent ages, specifically with the Giants and Steelers, you don't have an avenue left to replenish your team except for the draft. But you still need the qb, so you're screwed. It's best to take advantage while you can. Two Lombardis sure eases the pain. But let's be honest, how much of a window should you expect? I'd say that both of our teams have had almost a decade of prosperity. A few down years isn't that much of a price to pay.
Yep. It is what it is. Frustrating to watch regardless.

Chili

If I had a DVR I'd make a gif sequence of the amount of times he whiffed with his head down trying to truck guys. It literally got comical when you'd see the dude come from off-screen charging in like a bull and hit nothing but air maybe 3, 4 times.

I'd personally like to go back to a 4-3 scheme and get rid of Haslett. His resume is trash and this defense was pretty good even during the shit years post Taylor (RIP) with the 4-3.

Then of course getting the full salary cap to work with we'll look like a completely different team next year imo.

I'd rather not change anything too dramatically with the defense. The same core group gave up plenty of yards last season, but generated turnovers and were decent in the redzone. They showed shades of that yesterday, allowing the Lions to go down the field but hold them in the redzone when it really mattered on a few occasions, I think redzone defense should be the priority to improve.

As for getting the full salary cap next year, it is my understanding that a lot of the vets who restructured this year for us to comply with the penalty will have their salary loaded into the next few years. We'll be dealing with the penalty for the next few years. I certainly don't see us going out and winning a bidding war for Byrd.

Colasante

Bears DT Henry Melton tore his ACL and is out for the season. Playing on the franchise tag. Big blow for the Bears' defense and terrible for Melton.

Smokey

Idunno, did you hear Rick Smith and McNair both, essentially called Schaub out this offseason?

I think if they miss the playoffs Kubiak is gone, if they go to the playoffs again and win one and lose or go one and done and Schaub keeps playing like he's playing, he's done here. But we'll see how it goes. McNair is a good owner, yes he is loyal, but he's grown a lot since he first came into the league.

yes this drives me nuts, put your best unit on the field, the damn defense! Especially on the road, the fans are all hyped up and then have to be quiet for their offense and then they are buying shit and taking shits after half time when you get the ball.

Though, yesterday the Ravens won the toss and deferred.

We'll see. I personally think Seattle is going to beat the hell outta the texans. Maybe not jags bad... But pretty bad. We can't go vertical against the first 3 teams we played.. The Texans might be shut out in this next game.

Also you are right. I am listening to 610 and payne is clearly annoyed with schaub lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom