• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much this. We get the most out of Pierre Thomas and he was a UDFA. Our first round pick Ingram is a big fucking bust behind the same line PT and Sproles thrive with.
Concentrate more on getting a passer and an Oline so he doesnt end up getting killed.
Even WRs can be found in FA a lot of times.
Get that Oline and QB together first.

I still wonder why New Orleans took Ingram. Its not as if they were going to suddenly turn into a power running team.

Square peg, round hole.

He would have been a better fit (not saying he wouldn't still turn out to be a bust) somewhere like Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Tom Penny

I can see not liking the trade for the Colts, but fleeced? Nah.

You can get by with any decent RB's and certainly don't need top tier ones. O-Line controls the run game unless you have Barry Sanders. Put it this way. I would never want my team drafting a RB in the 1st round in today's NFL. I don't see the value at all.

cajunator

Banned
I still wonder why New Orleans took Ingram. Its not as if they were going to suddenly turn into a power running team.

Square peg, round hole.

He would have been a better fit (not saying he wouldn't still turn out to be a bust) somewhere like Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Well when we got him we were stacked at most positions. It was purely a luxury pick and for several years it didnt matter a lot. Then our Oline started having issues and he has NO vision. None. He cant just find a hole and make a cut. He just runs into blockers and does other dumb shit that loses yards or wastes a down. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but its like year three and he still isnt getting it done. It didnt work. Trade him to a desperate team for whatever value and move on.

Just keep drafting QBs it will eventually work out if the Browns can actually scout. Franchise RB doesn't mean much unless he is prolific, which he hasn't shown yet. Have to have the QB imo. Otherwise superstars at other positions doesn't make much sense.

I do get that dude, but he's number were good and if he had a good QB they would have been better as other teams wouldn't stack the box.

I had real hope this season and was all aboard the believeland train to a winning season, it was pretty much gone by the end of the first quarter of the season, but now there is no hope its between the Browns and the Jags for first overall, and the Jags locker room haven't had management come out and basically say we are skipping this year.

Also I tried to make the Trent trade on Madden as the Colts and it says the browns want more value! hahaha only the Browns

You can get by with any decent RB's and certainly don't need top tier ones. O-Line controls the run game unless you have Barry Sanders. Put it this way. I would never want my team drafting a RB in the 1st round in today's NFL. I don't see the value at all.

Do the Colts have second or third round picks? Expect them to draft even more O line help there. Or through free agency. They just got a thousand yard rusher. Up until this point, they've been starting Bradshaw. This is not a loss no matter how it's spun.

KingGondo

Banned
I kinda ignore rivalry games; as the stakes are much much higher for them. The way he diced up Rutgers last year when they had a secondary that went on to the pros, and the way he beat up Florida (who has a Driskel problem, not a d problem). It's not like Louisville is overflowing with talent either, Bridgewater is clearly the team while Clemson does have other pieces than Boyd.
I dunno. I don't think either is a surefire NFL QB. Boyd just passes the eye test to me--doing what he did to that LSU defense in their bowl game last year was damn impressive.

Manziel has a chance to be fantastic, but unfortunately he's one of the biggest tools of all time.

Even if they get the first pick (still unlikely IMO) I doubt they take Clowney. The front 7 is the last place they need help at.

Fox318 said:
Browns fans need to squicken to the Bengals.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

eznark

Banned
I dunno. I don't think either is a surefire NFL QB. Boyd just passes the eye test to me--doing what he did to that LSU defense in their bowl game last year was damn impressive.

Manziel has a chance to be fantastic, but unfortunately he's one of the biggest tools of all time.

Even if they get the first pick (still unlikely IMO) I doubt they take Clowney. The front 7 is the last place they need help at.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

If they really are dumb enough to want Manziel they can trade out of the first round and get a huge haul for the Clowney pick.

Old news but Dolphins injury report info:

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/930/dolphins-injury-report-tannehill-limited

Miami also was without starting defensive tackle Paul Soliai (knee) and safety Chris Clemons (hamstring). Neither player practiced Tuesday or Wednesday -- meaning both could be out Sunday.

Other Dolphins who were limited on Wednesday include cornerback Dimitri Patterson (groin), linebacker Koa Misi (knee), safety Jimmy Wilson (groin), quarterback Pat Devlin (ankle) and rookie corners Will Davis (toe) and Jamar Taylor (groin).
I don't want to go all jhendrix up in here but some of these injuries could hurt if they keep people from playing. Misi isn't a great LB but the Dolphins have next to no depth at the position, and Clemons is one of two good safeties on the entire roster so losing him would be rough as well. What makes the Clemons injury potentially worse is that Jimmy Wilson also shows up here, and he is not a good safety at all so you can imagine what the depth looks like behind him.

Soliai is a monster but the Dolphins have plenty of DT depth so that shouldn't hurt too badly. The big concern for me from this (other than Tannehill, obviously) is the secondary, which could go from average to horrific if some of these guys aren't on the field Sunday.

An RB of Adrian Peterson's caliber is absolutely worth a first round pick. Nothing wins you championships on its own; that's an asinine statement to make.
You don't need a 1st round RB to win a championship. Certainly not one who hasn't proven he's worthy of being a first rounder. Colts got fleeced.

eznark

Banned
Trent Richardson - 3.4 Y/A

Just for fun comparison:
Brandon Weeden - 3.5 Y/A
Felix Jones - 3.7 Y/A (abysmal line)
Ahmad Bradshaw - 4.1 Y/A (guy TrentBust is replacing)

I think what the scout meant is that every team has a guy who can run for less that 4 yards per carry on a consistent basis and can only play two downs. Not everyone has a guy like that who is also injury prone though!

eznark

Banned
You don't need a 1st round RB to win a championship. Certainly not one who hasn't proven he's worthy of being a first rounder. Colts got fleeced.

A first round running back is a luxury. If a team like Green Bay or San Francisco, who really are solid throughout (except at Safety for GB and first round safeties, lol) should be taking a running back in the first round. The problem is that in order to be effective a running back will necessarily take a pounding. By the time a rebuilding team is able to properly take advantage of the stud back he is generally used up.

KingGondo

Banned
If they really are dumb enough to want Manziel they can trade out of the first round and get a huge haul for the Clowney pick.
Yeah, whoever gets the first pick this year is in prime position, I agree. Even the second and third pick might be pretty awesome as well, similar to the year Washington traded up to get RG3.

Also, Browns fans should be happy. Not only do you get to root for the Browns, you get to root against the Colts all year! Double the fun!

eznark

Banned
Yeah, whoever gets the first pick this year is in prime position, I agree. Even the second and third pick might be pretty awesome as well, similar to the year Washington traded up to get RG3.

Also, Browns fans should be happy. Not only do you get to root for the Browns, you get to root against the Colts all year! Double the fun!

It's going to be painful when the Browns trade the #1 overall pick for Mallet.

images

Fantomex

We can debate the merits of a first rounder forever. Thats what makes the NFL so hard to figure out. Rules that applied 5 years ago no longer apply this year. Looking at the past 15 years it seems you can win a superbowl with a 6th round QB, A journeyman QB, A mediocre QB, or an elite QB. Trading for draft picks is alwas going to be a gamble. But noone can sit here and speak in absolutes, they no longer exist in the NFL.

vikki

A first round running back is a luxury. If a team like Green Bay or San Francisco, who really are solid throughout (except at Safety for GB and first round safeties, lol) should be taking a running back in the first round. The problem is that in order to be effective a running back will necessarily take a pounding. By the time a rebuilding team is able to properly take advantage of the stud back he is generally used up.

Use up the stud back then let them get a decent contract with another team, essentially screwing over the other team. Doesn't always work that way, but it sounds nice.

We can debate the merits of a first rounder forever. Thats what makes the NFL so hard to figure out. Rules that applied 5 years ago no longer apply this year. Looking at the past 15 years it seems you can win a superbowl with a 6th round QB, A journeyman QB, A mediocre QB, or an elite QB. Trading for draft picks is alwas going to be a gamble. But noone can sit here and speak in absolutes, they no longer exist in the NFL.

Keep stumping for Trich Fant you'll win em over eventually.

eznark

Banned
If you don't see the value of running back who can't pass protect and can't make people miss and can't catch a football and can't create space then I don't know what to tell you Deacon.

This whole thing just reminds me how much I miss Brandon Jackson. Man, that guy was so fucking key for the Super Bowl team :(

Use up the stud back then let them get a decent contract with another team, essentially screwing over the other team. Doesn't always work that way, but it sounds nice.

Why? It generally means you've spent a first round pick on a guy who didn't do much to help your team win and with the short life span of a RB, won't be able to help in the future. It's idiotic for a team that is 65% shit to take a RB in the first round. The marginal value over the fourth round running back just isn't there and the lifespan is too short for the rest of the team to catch up even if he is a stud.

KingGondo

Banned
It's going to be painful when the Browns trade the #1 overall pick for Mallet.

images
1. That's not gonna happen.

2. The joke still stings though, because I could see the Browns becoming the Chiefs (i.e. a watered-down, terrible wanna-be version of the Pats) in the next couple of years.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fantasy dilemma, who will have the better game Luck or Smith? I figure the Niners/Colts game will turn into a shootout so I'm leaning towards Luck currently, but the Eagles D isn't great against the pass...

If you don't see the value of running back who can't pass protect and can't make people miss and can't catch a football and can't create space then I don't know what to tell you Deacon.

Last year he ranked 7th in Pro Football Focus' Elusive Rating. He caused 59 missed tackles on his touches and still had just 3.6 yards per carry. He was getting hit at the line. He also played through a rib cartilage injury at less than 100% and other nicks and bruises. This is all to say that Richardson is good and even after two sub-par statistical games with Cleveland this season, he still led all running backs in PFF's Elusive Rating. He's doing more work for those few yards than most backs do for 20.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/44422/311/fallout-richardson-is-a-colt

Also, didn't Trent catch over 50 passes last year?

Anyway, it's a roll of the dice for both teams. The Colts can afford to give up a 1st because they already have their franchise QB, good recievers, and improving defense, and new free agents on the O-line that will hopefully gel as the season progresses. They are in a win now mindset. If the Colts had a lot of holes to fill, then I would agree that giving up a 1st for trent would be a bad idea. But right now, this makes the Colts a better team. Plus, the Browns still have to eat the signing bonus (I think), which is a huge plus for the colts.

Richardson will only cost the Colts:

2013: $1,156,185
2014: $2,252,708
2015: $3,184,062

That is also his cap number each season while on the Colts.

Cleveland will still carry $6.6 mil against the cap in 2014.

It makes this risk more palatable, and the colts should still have over 30 mill in cap space next year. Draft picks are a 50/50 shot anyways, especially after 10.

It really is a win/win trade at this moment in time.

jakncoke

Banned
Trent should be happy with the Colts he may eventually win a SB or at least be in the playoffs more times than not with Luck if Trent lasts in the league. Browns will probably make the playoffs again when we're all in retirement villages or dead

Narag

Trent should be happy with the Colts he may eventually win a SB or at least be in the playoffs more times than not with Luck if Trent lasts in the league. Browns will probably make the playoffs again when we're all in retirement villages or dead

I like your confidence in my team. Welcome, brother.

eznark

Banned

For sure, if anyone won in this deal it's Richardson.

Fantomex

Keep stumping for Trich Fant you'll win em over eventually.

I'm not even talking about Trent or running backs for that matter. I was referring to QBs

Last year he ranked 7th in Pro Football Focus' Elusive Rating. He caused 59 missed tackles on his touches and still had just 3.6 yards per carry. He was getting hit at the line. He also played through a rib cartilage injury at less than 100% and other nicks and bruises. This is all to say that Richardson is good and even after two sub-par statistical games with Cleveland this season, he still led all running backs in PFF's Elusive Rating. He's doing more work for those few yards than most backs do for 20.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/44422/311/fallout-richardson-is-a-colt

Also, didn't Trent catch over 50 passes last year?

Anyway, it's a roll of the dice for both teams. The Colts can afford to give up a 1st because they already have their franchise QB, good recievers, and improving defense, and new free agents on the O-line that will hopefully gel as the season progresses. They are in a win now mindset. If the Colts had a lot of holes to fill, then I would agree that giving up a 1st for trent would be a bad idea. But right now, this makes the Colts a better team. Plus, the Browns still have to eat the signing bonus (I think), which is a huge plus for the colts.

Richardson will only cost the Colts:

2013: $1,156,185
2014: $2,252,708
2015: $3,184,062

That is also his cap number each season while on the Colts.

Cleveland will still carry $6.6 mil against the cap in 2014.

It makes this risk more palatable, and the colts should still have over 30 mill in cap space next year. Draft picks are a 50/50 shot anyways, especially after 10.

It really is a win/win trade at this moment in time.

See this right here? This is where you messed up. You bringing stats, projections and facts. NFL-Gaf doesn't care about these things. It's everything else that will let us win our arguement that matters. Lets say ummmm, intangibles, things that don't really matter. We will make something up. Your talking to a group of people who constantly ignore Quarterback Ratings and Completion Percentegages to get their point across. So to recap, Don't bring facts up in here.

:)

Draxal

I think this draft is really top heavy; the top three players in this draft would have been top 3 last year as well.

Manziel looked good against Bama, but that game was really the Evans show.

McCarron will be the better pro QB over Manziel. This is like saying water is wet but still.

Aaron Murray is also a much better option for a QB needy team.

McCarron will be the better pro QB over Manziel. This is like saying water is wet but still.

Aaron Murray is also a much better option for a QB needy team.

McCarron is vanilla as hell

I like what I've seen from Manziel. Difficult to project but the only thing I have against him is throwing motion, but he's mostly accurate so idk.

effzee

A great back, with great vision, will do a lot better than Richardson has done even with a mediocre o-line. He's not terrible, but he's not worth a 1st rounder. Indy's gonna regret this move.

I get the deal for both sides but how in the world will Indy regret this?

Sure you can find a stud RB in later rounds.

You can also find a franchise QB in later rounds (Kap and Wilson). You can also find WRs later.

Problem is that I think people overvalue draft picks way too much. When you are a shit team like the Browns it makes all the send to stock pile picks.

But for the Colts? You already found your franchise QB. They have to believe they found their franchise RB. If they pick in the late teens to early 20s, that's not a bad pickup. He is young and yet to realize his potential. Maybe on a better offense he really flourishes. Its not like they traded away their whole draft.

And how often are first round picks busts? Or fail to pan out? At least 50% of them don't make it. Colts didn't mortgage their future. They just added protection for Luck and another option on offense.

BROWNS GIVE US HADEN!

KingGondo

Banned
I think this draft is really top heavy; the top three players in this draft would have been top 3 last year as well.

Manziel looked good against Bama, but that game was really the Evans show.
Evans is possibly coming out this year too.

Too bad Gordon's trade value is so low because he only has one strike left.

P.S. The Browns are not trading Joe Haden or Joe Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom