• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 3 |OT| - We're Up All Night To Get Gronky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsayer

tumblr_m3z3a3AiFA1rody9mo1_400.gif

This has easily been the WORST year of watching sports for me ever.

Haslam is a crook, this, Leafs have the biggest choke in the entire world, Blue Jays start off as world series favourites and end as one of the worst teams in the league, Raptors trade a fucking first round pick for Kyle fucking Lowry and have now become so good at being mediocre they won't even get to come close to drafting Wiggins.

Go ahead laugh at me, avatar quote me, do all that shit you normally do. I really don't care anymore.

Maybe this will pan out in the future but right now I really have no more optimism for anything sports related.

I'm done.

:(

It's okay, Kave. It can't always be like this, right?

Haslam is a crook, this, Leafs have the biggest choke in the entire world, Blue Jays start off as world series favourites and end as one of the worst teams in the league, Raptors trade a fucking first round pick for Kyle fucking Lowry and have now become so good at being mediocre they won't even get to come close to drafting Wiggins.

Go ahead laugh at me, avatar quote me, do all that shit you normally do. I really don't care anymore.

Maybe this will pan out in the future but right now I really have no more optimism for anything sports related.

I'm done.

How the hell are you a Browns fan from Toronto?

exarkun

I cant believe some of nfl-gaf said the browns won that trade. There is no way in hell they win if you base it soley on Richardson's stats. Brown's o-line is less than mediocre, the other team is always keying on Richardson (since hes their only offensive weapon), and they had a braindead coach. He still gets over 1.1k yards. For the fucking Browns. This is huuuuuge for the Colts, they finally have another piece that they think allows them to compete in the AFC South (and to the larger extent the AFC, and for the Superbowl) since they become much more balanced in terms of having a running threat to go along with Luck. Richardson will be good in Indy.

I wish the Browns would have decided to do this at the end of the season, not now. Fuck them for helping Indy.

And Kave, Im sorry. Houston sports at times equals the ineptitude of Clevelands, so I know the feels (tho for not as long). Come to the Texans man, we'll turn that frown upside down.

I cant believe some of nfl-gaf said the browns won that trade. There is no way in hell they win if you base it soley on Richardson's stats. Brown's o-line is less than mediocre, the other team is always keying on Richardson (since hes their only offensive weapon), and they had a braindead coach. He still gets over 1.1k yards. For the fucking Browns. This is huuuuuge for the Colts, they finally have another piece that they think allows them to compete in the AFC South (and to the larger extent the AFC, and for the Superbowl) since they become much more balanced in terms of having a running threat to go along with Luck. Richardson will be good in Indy.

I wish the Browns would have decided to do this at the end of the season, not now. Fuck them for helping Indy.

And Kave, Im sorry. Houston sports at times equals the ineptitude of Clevelands, so I know the feels (tho for not as long). Come to the Texans man, we'll turn that frown upside down.

A great back, with great vision, will do a lot better than Richardson has done even with a mediocre o-line. He's not terrible, but he's not worth a 1st rounder. Indy's gonna regret this move.

Trasher

So this means Alex Mack will be leaving at the end of the year, right? Because Detroit could use a Center when Dom retires.....

I feel like I can laugh at the Browns, but shouldn't. It doesn't get any better Browns fans. Just try and keep hope alive with your pretty good defense

Browns are one of the few teams that can relate to us Lions fans as far as depression goes.

Gobias

Banned
A great back, with great vision, will do a lot better than Richardson has done even with a mediocre o-line. He's not terrible, but he's not worth a 1st rounder. Indy's gonna regret this move.

Yup, exactly. An elite running back would still find a way to make lots of great plays,even behind mediocre line.Trent had rushes over 20 yards only twice.He just has no burst and vision to make anything happen besides the occasional nice push, even when the holes are there. I think getting a potential mid round first pick for an unproven back was a pretty decent deal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
One of the biggest misnomers of fans and media is that WRs don't matter. Or that a great QB can take a bunch of okay WRs and put up a lot of points. If you can draft a true X-iso WR like Dez/Megatron/Andre Johnson, that's the best thing you can do for a young QB. That's what CLE will do. Their own first for the QB, and the Colts pick for the WR
WRs matter, but less so than every other part of the offense. You don't build your team around them.

Otherwise you're the Lions.

...or the Panthers.

Wes

venison crêpe
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?

What in the name of Hadrian's Wall just fucking happened?

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING

Wes

venison crêpe
I've just been through the thread.

I'm done.

Kave. We can get through this together.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not as stunned as I thought I would be. Maybe it's because of my life being a soccer fan I'm used to seeing the best players from teams I support moving suddenly.

Still, seems a little bizarre to me. Losing Richardson and trying to dump Weeden too? Good thing we still have a few months before the season starts....

On the plus side, seeing as how we're tanking and are unlikely to score double digit points any time this season, I can watch another game each weekend instead now hoping that whoever is playing the Colts, wins. The Colts are the new Falcons!

As for TRich himself, I hope he does really well at Indy. I wouldn't begrudge him walking all over us next time we play.

BROWNS ARE LOADING UP FOR THE SUPERBOWL OF 2014

DRINKING BATHWATER FOR BRIDGEWATER

Although two first round picks ("best" case: 1st overall, and a solid mid-round pick): You can land a Solid LT and a good QB. That'd probably be the best way to go about an overhaul.

Wes

venison crêpe
People are saying no one is safe now. Josh Gordon and even Joe Thomas may be going. I think that's mostly just panic talk.

Who are some good people to read for articles about this trade? The blogosphere see this is as a stupid move for the Browns but I've seen two articles on CBS and another on ESPN saying this was in fact a good move for us.

Milchjon

So what exactly put them over the top to decide to start the rebuilding so early in the season? I didn't watch the Browns games, were they that horrible?

People are saying no one is safe now. Josh Gordon and even Joe Thomas may be going. I think that's mostly just panic talk.

Who are some good people to read for articles about this trade? The blogosphere see this is as a stupid move for the Browns but I've seen two articles on CBS and another on ESPN saying this was in fact a good move for us.

Pats should give you guys Mallett and a second rounder for Gordon, Hayden and Sheard.

ChanHuk

Banned

I doubt the Browns are willing to trade away the best LT in the NFL. Although they could get two first rounders for him.

squicken

I asked Fisher why there’s been such a dramatic change in league-wide offensive philosophy.

“Well, I think you’re putting all the emphasis on the quarterback, number one,” he said. “Secondly, there’s not enough time. I think our offseason programs are limited. Training camp is limited. So, early in the season the offense is going to have an advantage.

“It’s hard to find safeties. It’s hard to find linebackers. Teams are loading up the skill players on offense, and as a result, scoring is up.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_e4f3c083-2f8a-5a27-bb83-afefdda19321.html

I watch them play, and the cushion they give to WRs is so frustrating. Allowing quick throws neuters the pass rush; the strength of the defense. I can't tell if they are trying to hide bad safety play or it's just bad scheme. There's very little disguising of their coverages. Going back to preseason they were getting picked apart by opposing QBs, and Palmer and Ryan have 701 yards between them.

This is Rick Venturi. long time defensive coach, who worked with pretty much every coach you can think of, offering a pretty strong critique of the scheme

http://www.101sports.com/podcasts/r...-great-pass-rushers-with-their-soft-coverage/

The screen to Julio was just after the Rams had got back in the game by making it 24-17 with 12 minutes left in the game. It wasn't the time to let ATL move the ball so easily and make it a two score game again

ijHPO9pJSlwUz.gif

Finnegan will have averaged $14m over this year and last when he gets cut next March. A really brutal signing that goes under the radar for one of the worst in recent memory. That's not Julio Jones or Roddy White he's terrified of, it's Harry Douglas

ix3NP8PuASdlF.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
So what exactly put them over the top to decide to start the rebuilding so early in the season? I didn't watch the Browns games, were they that horrible?

Judging by the article from LaCanfora the Colts were looking for a RB and the Browns were looking to ship.

One exec I respect deeply, who has watched Richardson closely during his brief NFL career, expressed his initial reaction to this deal: "The Colts panicked. A first-round pick? I don't believe it."

A scout who did plenty of work on Richardson was flabbergasted by the deal: "Weird trade by Indy," he sent via text. "A first for an adequate back with injury issues? They could get that player next year in the mid to late rounds. Get an adequate dude for a later pick. Everyone has depth at that position."

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

I was in contact with a few team sources who had running backs on their roster who are expendable, and all said they never got a call from the Colts to explore what it would take to get their guys. "I wish I had [called the Colts]," one noted, "especially after seeing this trade."

Back to us though specifically, our OL has been horrible. Richardson has been somewhat disappointing in general although his ability to truck if delicious.

cajunator

Banned
Judging by the article from LaCanfora the Colts were looking for a RB and the Browns were looking to ship.

Back to us though specifically, our OL has been horrible. Richardson has been somewhat disappointing in general although his ability to truck if delicious.

I think you guys came out ahead in this case.
McGahee has a bit of tread left and would do just as good a job as Richardson for much less cost. Meanwhile you can pick up a good lineman with your first pick and the best pick at whatever spot the Colts end up. This is overall a good thing and its sad most Browns fans dont seem to understand.

Wes

venison crêpe
McGahee has a bit of tread left and would do just as good a job as Richardson for much less cost. Meanwhile you can pick up a good lineman with your first pick and the best pick at whatever spot the Colts end up. This is overall a good thing and its sad most Browns fans dont seem to understand.

Our first pick is going on a QB or Clowney. There's no other way. I wouldn't be surprised to see Weeden traded before the deadline, if we can get anything for him.

To be fair, we spent almost all of our picks this year fixing our defence. And we're not too bad, apart from in the secondary.

If we don't end up packaging those picks I can see the first round picks going on a QB and WR. We need Josh Gordon to clean his act up a bit.

squicken

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill didn’t mention anything wrong with his right shoulder when he talked to reproters Wednesday.

But according to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, he was listed as limited on the injury report, indicating he’s not completely healthy even though he didn’t miss a snap last week after taking a hit on his throwing shoulder that caused a fumble.

He’s now been sacked nine times in two games, second-most in the league.

“When I have all the time in the world [to throw the ball], it’s completely on me,” Tannehill said. “There’s a couple where I need to step up a half-step, and it’s not a sack at all. It’s not like I’m getting a sack from everywhere and every time I step back I’m getting pressure.”

Keeping him upright, and well, is the new challenge for the Dolphins.

Consensus I have read is that CLE came out ahead, though it's a hard sell to the fans that they have given up on the year after just 2 games. I doubt Thomas or Haden are on the block. If Mack is really gone after the year then maybe

Can't help but feel bad for Kave. The only beacon of hope on the Browns is now gone. :(

I think Richardson will look better with a competent offense and he'll help them out. Can't fathom why the Colts gave up a 1st for him but it may win them a few more games which would might be worth the cost for them.

cajunator

Banned

Consensus I have read is that CLE came out ahead, though it's a hard sell to the fans that they have given up on the year after just 2 games. I doubt Thomas or Haden are on the block. If Mack is really gone after the year then maybe

Thing is, trading Trent truck is hardly giving up given that he really hasnt done a whole lot.
Its not like the team was winning whether he was there or not. You cant really say they gave up the year if he wasnt carrying the team in the first place.

Well it might make sense in the grand scheme of things, but I totally understand the initial reaction to the trade. Seeing them ship off a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise, and a fan favorite is hard to digest as a fan. If the Saints suddenly traded Brees, for a first rounder you would be bummed out too at first. It takes some time.

cajunator

Banned
Well it might make sense in the grand scheme of things, but I totally understand the initial reaction to the trade. Seeing them ship off a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise, and a fan favorite is hard to digest as a fan. If the Saints suddenly traded Brees, for a first rounder you would be bummed out too at first. It takes some time.

Dude, stop equating this to trading Brees. the Saints have a team that is built well enough to compete. Trading Brees is not equivalent to a team that has a billion holes trading away one player for potential building block picks. Its a completely different scenario. However if we could unload Ingram on someone I would be ecstatic.

Dude, stop equating this to trading Brees. the Saints have a team that is built well enough to compete. Trading Brees is not equivalent to a team that has a billion holes trading away one player for potential building block picks. Its a completely different scenario. However if we could unload Ingram on someone I would be ecstatic.

It was an example just to show that the Browns fans reaction is just based on emotions right now.

I am gutted as a Browns Fan I thought we had a RB of the future.

I just hope it plays out better than when we traded our entire D-line to the Broncos.

We seem to have a habit of trading away what might turn us around or the chance to draft players that could turn out to be superstar (Julio Jones).

Indy got fleeced giving up a 1st rounder for a RB. They were better off trying to trade a 1st some O-Line help.

Their feature back is currently Bradshaw, a man who's ankles and feet are made of glass. Richardson gives them a feature back. He was also the number three overall pick. I felt like the Browns gave up on him too easily. O line help? Maybe the Browns should have gotten O line help for Richardson considering he had to fight for every yard he got on every play there and still managed to get over a thousand yards.

The only thing I'm worried about with Richardson is his health, but as long as Luck and Richardson are healthy they'll be solid contenders every year.

Godslay

Banned
I am gutted as a Browns Fan I thought we had a RB of the future.

I just hope it plays out better than when we traded our entire D-line to the Broncos.

We seem to have a habit of trading away what might turn us around or the chance to draft players that could turn out to be superstar (Julio Jones).

Just keep drafting QBs it will eventually work out if the Browns can actually scout. Franchise RB doesn't mean much unless he is prolific, which he hasn't shown yet. Have to have the QB imo. Otherwise superstars at other positions doesn't make much sense.

Clockwork5

Just keep drafting QBs it will eventually work out if the Browns can actually scout. Franchise RB doesn't mean much unless he is prolific, which he hasn't shown yet. Have to have the QB imo. Otherwise superstars at other positions doesn't make much sense.

Jamaal Charles agrees with you. The Browns have 7 picks in the first four rounds next draft. That has to be encouraging for the fans. Cheifs fans know all to well what it is like to be looking forward to next season by week 3...

Draxal

I can't tell if he's legit, honestly. Louisville plays nobody, and he looked very mortal against Kentucky last week. Kentucky.

I prefer Tajh Boyd, personally.

I kinda ignore rivalry games; as the stakes are much much higher for them. The way he diced up Rutgers last year when they had a secondary that went on to the pros, and the way he beat up Florida (who has a Driskel problem, not a d problem). It's not like Louisville is overflowing with talent either, Bridgewater is clearly the team while Clemson does have other pieces than Boyd.

cajunator

Banned

Pretty much this. We get the most out of Pierre Thomas and he was a UDFA. Our first round pick Ingram is a big fucking bust behind the same line PT and Sproles thrive with.
Concentrate more on getting a passer and an Oline so he doesnt end up getting killed.
Even WRs can be found in FA a lot of times.
Get that Oline and QB together first.

jakncoke

Banned

No one is drunk enough. check that Steelers need a body. We'll give you a 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom