• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds a lot like Colt McCoy, to be honest.

I don't know why you take a chance on cutting someone like Daniels who can run the type of offense we want to run with a similar skill set to Kap.

I feel like the FO is starting to over think things a bit too much. Kind of like bringing in that heap of shit Mangini to be an "offensive consultant." Absolutely trivial hire.

i don't think we're going to run that offense anymore. i think we'll see us getting back to what we ran with alex

eznark

Banned
I laughed when Packers fans cried about a backup quarterback. I literally have no idea how to react to someone actually bitching about third and fourth string quarterbacks.

What the fuck.....

Doomsayer

i don't think we're going to run that offense anymore. i think we'll see us getting back to what we ran with alex

I hope so. We should have never went away from it in the first place.

I laughed when Packers fans cried about a backup quarterback. I literally have no idea how to react to someone actually bitching about third and fourth string quarterbacks.

What the fuck.....

It's a culmination of things. Just questionable moves by the FO. I don't see the point in cutting someone who shows potential and may be used as trade bait for late round picks. We love to stockpile them of late.

eznark

Banned
Flynn was still considered a starting QB prospect at the time, not a practice squad scrub.

But yeah, I guess they could get a sixth or something in a year or two for him. Is that worth a dead roster spot?

Flynn was still considered a starting QB prospect at the time, not a practice squad scrub.

But yeah, I guess they could get a sixth or something in a year or two for him. Is that worth a dead roster spot?

i get that but to cut him so we can sign john skelton? it makes no sense. BJ daniels may turn out to be garbage in the league but he has shown at least the POTENTIAL to be a dependable backup. yes i know he showed this against garbage 4th stringers but the potential is there. we already know for certain that john skelton is raw fucking garbage

NFL Gaf Bros (excluding you Godslay): any advice on washer/dryer? Never had to buy them before and man there are a lot of options.

NOT A FRONT LOADER!!!! Save money, energy, blah, blah....they break. I had a set, a Lunchbox level set, had to fix it three times, and when I moved, I just bought a simple, top loading Speedqueen like they have at the laundromats, and that thing is a beast. I know at least three other people with the same experience with front loaders.

How are the Ravens at OG? Wondering if they might try moving Monroe inside, I think he might be better suited there.

As bad as our line has been, our guards are our strength. Marshall Yanda is a stud, and Kelechi Osemele is good, although he's regressed a bit this year. I expect to see McKinnie moved to the bench. And even though it's only a few week rental, at least we can see if he's worth signing moving forward, since McKinnie isn't the answer. Either is Oher, for that matter.

eznark

Banned
Like I said, I assume he is being brought in for his intelligence not his athletic ability. I have no clue, just guessing. Maybe they've decided they want their defense to have to practice against someone who can actually read a defense?

Bowser

In speaking with agents of several Bucs players recently, I have sensed a common theme: There is an atmosphere of fear and distrust under the current regime in Tampa. Players have told their agents about coaches roaming through the locker room (typically the players’ sanctuary away from coaches) and staff videotaping players on the sidelines during losses to single out players laughing or horsing around. The players also speak to the influx of multiple Rutgers players from Schiano’s past and the use of the phrase “Schiano Men,” a term that clearly does not apply to Freeman.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/02/josh-freeman-greg-schiano-business/?sct=hp_t2_a1&eref=sihp

Greg+Schiano+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+Washington+jiAmECyJeI1l.jpg

Bowser

i'm not Josh Freeman defense force, but more and more shit like this comes out of Tampa coupled with what kind of coach we already know Schiano as a coach, why should i believe a damn thing he has to say?

He'd also like for you to stop complaining about his kneel down tactics:

Schiano’s habit of instructing defensive players to “blow up” the opposing team’s “victory” formation has once again reared its head, with the Bucs doing it for the final snaps of Sunday’s 13-10 loss to Arizona.

A caller to Schiano’s weekly radio show accused Schiano of engaging in “bush league” tactics, via JoeBucsFan.com.

Schiano defended the strategy, which first was introduced by him during a 2012 game against the Giants. Schiano expressed a desire for people to quit complaining about it.

“When it’s a one-score opportunity, and especially a field goal opportunity and there’s time left to do it, that’s part of our beliefs,” Schiano said. “And guys can disagree with it, call it, you know, there’s no bush league to it. You know it’s coming. And if anybody saw it, Gerald McCoy was shaking his head telling [Arizona], ‘We’re coming.’ So I mean, you know what, run the play. If there’s time on the clock, run the play. I’d like people to quit complaining, and that’s what we’re going to do, and get ready for it.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ning-about-his-approach-to-victory-formation/

herp derp

Schiano wants so bad to be the Hoodie, but he doesn't have the coaching skills nor the ability to command a locker room.

I have no love for Freeman, but the way he's dragging him through the mud is becoming ridiculous. Benching him is one thing, telling he can't even watch games from the sidelines and telling him to keep out of team meetings is too far.

Schiano is turning Tampa into a circus. I hope they extend his contract.

Bowser

Agree with him 100% on the kneel down. No reason to give up on the last play of the game.

I can't wait for a team to fake a kneel down and throw a bomb on their dumbass heads. Victory formation is a show of sportsmanship - the game is over. It's a punk move through and through.

Maybe he wouldn't have to listen to complain about it if he was a good enough coach to actually, ya know, win games.

eznark

Banned
I can't wait for a team to fake a kneel down and throw a bomb on their dumbass heads. Victory formation is a show of sportsmanship - the game is over.

Maybe he wouldn't have to listen to complain about it if he was a good enough coach to actually, ya know, win games.

And he is vocal about saying "fuck your sportsmanship, we're running a play." A team throwing the ball is exactly what the losing team in that situation would pray for.

Yeah, disagree with him whining about people complaining about it.

Colasante

i'm not Josh Freeman defense force, but more and more shit like this comes out of Tampa coupled with what kind of coach we already know Schiano as a coach, why should i believe a damn thing he has to say?

It's not that you should believe anything that Schiano says, it's that you should never believe anything an agent says. Every report that features a quote from an agent should be considered with the most grains of salt possible, since everything they say is with the express intention of delivering the most valuable contract possible for their clients.

Say you're the agent of an impending free agent on the Bucs. If you make it seem like the Bucs' organization is in complete disarray and the players are disillusioned with the team, it could drive up the price on your player because the organization may have to pay more to keep their players there. Now I'm not saying that's what's happening, and I'm sure it's possible every report about evil Schiano is accurate, but it's important to remember that this is not a business filled with benevolent people. Agents, players, coaches, organizations- everyone is cutthroat and the bottom line always comes down to money.

Syrinx

I want both Schiano and Freeman gone now. I just would kinda like if Greg Schiano's exit was a bit humiliating.

eznark

Banned
That MMQB article is really good. Andy Brandt is awesome. Didn't know teams could still do this:

the Bucs could (legally) circumvent that rule by restructuring Freeman’s contract to pay him a bonus, reduce his salary, and then trade that contract. For example, the Bucs could give Freeman, say, a $2 million bonus and reduce his remaining salary to $4 million in order to attract a trading partner. I still think it highly unlikely.

May as well just pay him a bonus to the league minimum and trade him for a sixth.

squicken

That MMQB article is really good. Andy Brandt is awesome. Didn't know teams could still do this:

May as well just pay him a bonus to the league minimum and trade him for a sixth.

The Rams did this with Jason Smith last year in the blockbuster Wayne Hunter trade

LevelNth

Banned
My defense gives up starting with the kickoff. It's refreshing to see defenders give an effort!
Lol. What I don't like about it is Schiano's dis-ingenuity about his reasoning, though I guess that shouldn't surprise us now.

Point is, it's not a 'play' in everything but the technical sense. It's a means of saying 'we have to run something, but this game is over and there's no need to do anything that might risk an injury to anyone on the field'.

He's pretending like this is some 'never give up!' mentality when he knows full well not only doing it, but the way in which he does it (surprise tactic) has a much, MUCH higher chance of injuring either his players or the opposing team's than it does causing a significant enough fumble that the D might have a chance at recovering.

He's a horseshit coach that uses laughable shock and awe tactics to coach. No surprise there's nothing legitimate under the surface.

“If Denver is about 27-point favorites over Jacksonville in Week 6 at Denver, we would have to set the Broncos as at least 40.5 point favorites over the Crimson Tide,” Kevin Bradley, Sports Book Manager of Bovada.lv told Yahoo Sports. “Potentially even higher, as we would assume Denver would score almost every drive while Alabama would be lucky to score 10 points."

"It is not easy to set accurate hypothetical lines on an NFL team vs. an NCAA team for a number of reasons. The two main ones being that this has never happened before and no actual money comes in on it,” Bradley said. “We often will use historical data and how our bettors bet the lines we open and adjust odds from there on any given game. Having said that, even though the Jags are awful and 0-4, they would still be big 17.5-point favorites over Alabama.”

i always found it funny over the years when idiots say things like "alabama (or whoever the hot NCAA team is at the time) could beat the jags (or whoever the worst NFL team is at the time)". jags would wreck alabama just as any NFL team would completely demolish any college team

eznark

Banned
i always found it funny over the years when idiots say things like "alabama (or whoever the hot NCAA team is at the time) could beat the jags (or whoever the worst NFL team is at the time)". jags would wreck alabama just as any NFL team would completely demolish any college team

The only people who say that are Sportscenter sports fans. They casually watch whichever team they decide they like that year and they watch highlight shows.

Like I said, I assume he is being brought in for his intelligence not his athletic ability. I have no clue, just guessing. Maybe they've decided they want their defense to have to practice against someone who can actually read a defense?

then why did we get rid of my boy tolzien eznark! why did we get rid of tolzien!

cdyhybrid

Lol. What I don't like about it is Schiano's dis-ingenuity about his reasoning, though I guess that shouldn't surprise us now.

Point is, it's not a 'play' in everything but the technical sense. It's a means of saying 'we have to run something, but this game is over and there's no need to do anything that might risk an injury to anyone on the field'.

He's pretending like this is some 'never give up!' mentality when he knows full well not only doing it, but the way in which he does it (surprise tactic) has a much, MUCH higher chance of injuring either his players or the opposing team's than it does causing a significant enough fumble that the D might have a chance at recovering.

He's a horseshit coach that uses laughable shock and awe tactics to coach. No surprise there's nothing legitimate under the surface.

+1

I wish it would happen just once a generation so that people could recall it before saying it next time. They played a game between pros and the best college team a LONG time ago. I want to say it was during the 30s but everyone figured that the college team would win because most of the best players would quit football after college (back then, Ivy League schools were the top programs so players on the field were future doctors and lawyers) rather than go to the pros.

It didn't turn out that way.

In the 60s they had a game between the best NFL team and a group of all-americans where the college players would win pretty frequently.

According to Pro Football Focus, linebacker Philip Wheeler allowed all seven passes against him to be completed, for 87 yards, and linebacker Dannell Ellerbe allowed 5 of 6, for 82 yards.
We're talking about matching up with Sproles and Graham here mostly but still, this is unacceptable. If Wheeler and Ellerbe don't step it up in pass coverage their acquisition could end up being a huge knock against Ireland. These guys were brought in to correct the Dolphins' issues with covering TE's and so far they have failed.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's going to be awesome when Belichick retires and convinces Kraft to hire Schiano to take over the reins.

Colasante

It's going to be awesome when Belichick retires and convinces Kraft to hire Schiano to take over the reins.

They already have their succession plan in place. Jonathan Kraft takes over for Robert Kraft, Josh McDaniels takes over for Bill Belichick, Tim Tebow takes over for Tom Brady. It is known.

Jeff-DSA

We're talking about matching up with Sproles and Graham here mostly but still, this is unacceptable. If Wheeler and Ellerbe don't step it up in pass coverage their acquisition could end up being a huge knock against Ireland. These guys were brought in to correct the Dolphins' issues with covering TE's and so far they have failed.

It was painful to watch. They can do better, I'm sure of it. I'm more worried about the O-line though. Tannehill is going to end up a corpse and the fumbles will keep coming if they don't cut down on the big QB hits.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, apparently DT Jordan Hill is back practicing too. Now he'll get to show he wasn't a waste of a draft pick!

squicken

Although overshadowed by Peyton Manning's record-setting pace, the Denver Broncos defense has more than held its own while surviving the losses of Von Miller, Champ Bailey and Stewart Bradley.

That mettle might be tested again with the loss of another key starter.

Weakside linebacker Danny Trevathan was carted off the field with a knee injury in Wednesday's practice, reports Jay Glazer of FOX Sports. The injury "does indeed sound like it was significant," according to Lindsay Jones of USA Today.

It was painful to watch. They can do better, I'm sure of it. I'm more worried about the O-line though. Tannehill is going to end up a corpse and the fumbles will keep coming if they don't cut down on the big QB hits.
Definitely. One thing I have noticed is that the o-line is much worse at pass blocking when the team becomes one dimensional. Tannehill wasn't sacked at all during the first half of the Saints game because the Dolphins were having success running the ball and keeping things varied. Once they abandoned the run in the second half the sacks started piling up.

I know Philbin isn't a huge fan of running the ball, especially when the team is down, but they are obviously not good enough at pass protection (including RB's and TE's) or QB (some of the sacks are Tannehill's fault) to completely abandon the run. Once the opposition knows that they only have to watch for the pass things get ugly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In the 60s they had a game between the best NFL team and a group of all-americans where the college players would win pretty frequently.
I can't imagine that happening in today's NFL. Rules aside, the bar to being a pro is much higher than it used to be.

exarkun

Its 3:19 pm and Schaub is still my qb! Fuck the haters!

What happened to steve young? He used to be such an asshole the last few years after and before games, and now hes nicer. Espn afraid to hurt feels?

If this game was at home, I'd feel confident against the Dolphins. But on the road, couldn't be more worried. There are few things more certain than Joe Flacco will shit the bed on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom