• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 5 |OT| - Are you ready for some 11:35 pm football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
The Texans are very predictable right now. Schaub can't go deep (except when fucking over the fanbase). He can't run. It's either to the TE, comeback route to a WR, or a an out route to a WR. He's not allowed to audible because... Reasons. One being that Schaub is probably slow. Who knows.

I can literally tell you what play is coming when watching the game and defenses can too.

Has anyone looked at their formations? Running the same play is one thing (the 49ers only have 4 plays in their entire playbook) and not necessarily bad, but running the same formation is generally going to get you fucked (unless you are GB, which seemingly only has 1 formation).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Has anyone looked at their formations? Running the same play is one thing (the 49ers only have 4 plays in their entire playbook) and not necessarily bad, but running the same formation is generally going to get you fucked (unless you are GB, which seemingly only has 1 formation).

They change up their formations. Yesterday at the start of the game they had Tate and Foster in the backfield, something I haven't seen them do that frequently. On two of the plays on that first drive they split one of them out wide. Yesterday in particular, the 49ers defensive backs were simply jumping routes, you would think after a while they would pull a double move or do something different.

Oh oh, 9:40 am, we have the first Vince Young call to sports radio today.

So what are the Texans going to do here? It's obvious Schaub is not the answer, but do they trade a draft for an established QB? And who will actually give up a QB good enough?

MechDX

They have done that for years and no one figured it out. Last week the Seahawks knew what was coming on one play and the media said the offense too was predictable yet they dropped twenty on the Hawks in the first period. Must be going for style points...

Schaubs head is now as dead his arm and feet. PERIOD.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/10/texans-summary-foster-has-noteworthy-effort/

Johnson fumes on sidelines

Texans veteran receiver Andre Johnson became visibly upset in between Matt Schaub’s fourth pick-six this season and the 49ers’ taking a 14-point lead.

While the Texans’ offense converged on the sidelines after Schaub’s first interception, Johnson became animated and walked away.

He ended up at the far side of the bench, 30 yards from his teammates.

Johnson spent several minutes standing alone and was finally approached by backup running back Ben Tate and little-used wide receiver DeVier Posey, who gave Johnson his helmet.

Johnson, who’s been dealing with a lingering shin injury, returned to action for the Texans’ next series.

Wow. I think Dre is done with Schaub now.

Smokey

They have 3 formations!

- 2 Te, 2 wr - out of this formation you'll probably see a handoff with a cut back attempt. Possibly a 3-5 yd attempt to a WR.

-empty backfield- 80% of the time this is a TAINT. 10% of the time a in route by the TE. The final 10% a sack.

–motion RB from backfield to - dump off to RB. Maybe comeback route to wr that gets jumped for a TAINT.

eznark

Banned
Clay Matthews has a broken thumb, status uncertain. Robert Francois has a ruptured achilles tendon. Out for the year. Were I a Seahawks fan this would trouble me and force me to eat a gallon of locally sourced frozen soy desert product and cry into my patchouli stinked flannel while trying to keep the tears out of my mutton chops so the other "writers" at Starbucks don't notice my unironic "feels" but I'm not so next man up.

bionic77

Steelers Depot catches up with the Steelers who were released from the team last year.

Harrison's performance is the biggest surprise - he barely plays any snaps on defense. This Bengal experiment is only going to be one year. He's finished.
With Harrison it might just be that the Bungles have a horrible environment for him. He is a bit of a mental case (which did not stop him from becoming one of my favorite players). It is also possible that physically he is just done. Not worth coming back to us at this point.

Legursky doesn't seem to be getting much playing time. Wish he was still with us. He was a great backup as long as he was not playing center against a Ngata or BJ Raji who could physically overpower him.

Clay Matthews has a broken thumb, status uncertain. Robert Francois has a ruptured achilles tendon. Out for the year. Were I a Seahawks fan this would trouble me and force me to eat a gallon of locally sourced frozen soy desert product but I'm not so next man up.

Broken thumb? Big deal. Put it in a club cast and rock on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
So what are the Texans going to do here? It's obvious Schaub is not the answer, but do they trade a draft for an established QB? And who will actually give up a QB good enough?

Cut Schoob in the offseason, start Yates next year, go 0-16, draft Jameis Winston. It's all so clear.

Love the avy, btw. RIP LC

With Harrison it might just be that the Bungles have a horrible environment for him. He is a bit of a mental case (which did not stop him from becoming one of my favorite players). It is also possible that physically he is just done. Not worth coming back to us at this point.

Legursky doesn't seem to be getting much playing time. Wish he was still with us. He was a great backup as long as he was not playing center against a Ngata or BJ Raji who could physically overpower him.

From the snaps i've seen of Harrison, he still has that bullish strength, but none of the speed and burst. He's a 2 down linebacker with the Bengals.

Just face it Bionic. It's over.

bionic77

Clay Matthews has a broken thumb, status uncertain. Robert Francois has a ruptured achilles tendon. Out for the year. Were I a Seahawks fan this would trouble me and force me to eat a gallon of locally sourced frozen soy desert product and cry into my patchouli stinked flannel while trying to keep the tears out of my mutton chops so the other "writers" at Starbucks don't notice my unironic "feels" but I'm not so next man up.
Broken thumb is a shit injury. Broke mine in high school playing basketball. Hurts like a bitch and it takes a long time to get the strength back. Even though it is more important in basketball than for a non-skill position, that will be a tough one for him to play around unless it is a super small fracture.

Tom Penny

Broken thumb is a shit injury. Broke mine in high school playing basketball. Hurts like a bitch and it takes a long time to get the strength back. Even though it is more important in basketball than for a non-skill position, that will be a tough one for him to play around unless it is a super small fracture.

Don't guys usually end up wrapping the shit out of the hand and they look like they are wearing over sized oven mitts when they are playing? That's how it was back in the day.

Fox318

Do the Giants still have the super bowl countdown clock in their locker room?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Smokey

Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith calling for Case Keenum to start in Houston! :O

Mmhmm

It's funny how tj is the second string but everyone wants Keenum. Everybody could see keenum was better than Yates during their 'battle'. Another brilliant move by kubiak.

Mundy was supposed to be depth at best. Thanks to the Stevie Brown injury, he's a starter.

He had 15 tackles in the Eagles game though so at least he's getting in there. Rolle had 1. For all of his talk he was fucking invisible on Sunday.

Mundy is a serviceable guy. His problem with the Steelers was discipline. Spearing dudes on third down. Had penalties coming out his ass.

Giants use him differently so i'm sure there's less opportunity, but he was never good in coverage, as i'm sure you know.

captive

Mmhmm

It's funny how tj is the second string but everyone wants Keenum. Everybody could see keenum was better than Yates during their 'battle'. Another brilliant move by kubiak.

NBC last night acted like Yates was the only backup and Keenum didn't exist.

cajunator

Banned
Going down 10-6 in the second quarter is hardly "literally" throwing the game away.

It's interesting to note that they were all absolute mis-reads on Schaub's part. He flat got fooled. It shows that he is missing something pre-snap, that the receivers are telling on their breaks and, most damning, the play-calling is making those routes so predictable that corners are feeling free to jump underneath with little safety help.

Ok so two of them. The Ravens game was still early.

hey hey hey, wait a minute.... don't forget marciano. Fucking christ take a fucking knee on a kick off please.

Case Keenum please.

Drew Brees is a better quarterback than Schaub? Ya don't say. What hard hitting analysis will you come out with next? If you have more points at the end of the game, you'll likely win!

Has a QB ever had an easier win? Kaepernick completed 6 passes. Ridiculous.

Ok so yeah what I said was super obvious. Its early lol.
I know you guys are in a bit of a QB crisis right now. The team is otherwise very well built to win.

captive

Well he was holding a clip board.

Wow, too far.

For the purposes of last nights game, he didn't. He was inactive.

Well, obviously. I believe they were talking in the context of moving forward, like everyone else is this morning.

cajunator said:
The team is otherwise very well built to win.
If one thing is for sure, Rick Smith's job should be relatively safe.

MechDX

I know you guys are in a bit of a QB crisis right now. The team is otherwise very well built to win.

That's why it is so damn infuriating. There is talent at the skill positions and the defense is good but just put in terrible positions by the offense. Its one man holding everyone back. Yates/Keenum I don't care either way but something has to change.

I would not be completely shock if OC Dennison is fired this week as a sacrificial lamb to appease the fans. Don't care what the media says Dennison is a figurehead at OC.

this_guy

That's the worst part. The Texans have a running game, receivers, and defense - everything a QB would want. They can't win with Schaub so it's time to move on. I'd rather see Yates in there (preferably Keenum but with Kubiak we're going to have to progress through the depth chart). Yates and Keenum can't possibly do any worse. This team doesn't need a geat QB, just a solid QB that doesn't throw the game away.

Schaub is in physical decline but he also has a case of the Brad Lidge. (Except Lidge was actually great before the mental breakdown.)

I disagree. I don't think Schaub was ever good. The offense he was in took a lot of pressure off of him and the Texans flew under the radar. The offense has since been figured out and defenses are feasting on Schaub.

I really don't think this is a Schaub problem. Schaub is what he is and has no autonomy. This is a Kubiak problem.

jmdajr

The funny thing about the aftermath yesterday? The comments on Twitter, Texans fan forums, etc....were a lot quitter than last Sunday. We have already moved on to acceptance.....

Yeah I mentioned that earlier. I wasn't even mad. It's just expected.

Smokey

I disagree. I don't think Schaub was ever good. The offense he was in took a lot of pressure off of him and the Texans flew under the radar. The offense has since been figured out and defenses are feasting on Schaub.

I really don't think this is a Schaub problem. Schaub is what he is and has no autonomy. This is a Kubiak problem.

No. If you want to include kubiak in it that's fine but in no way is any of this NOT that bum Schaubs fault.

I really wish we could of kept Keenan and I dont find Harrison performance surprising at all.

Yeah, Lewis was the biggest loss from all of those guys.

Though I should say, William Gay has had an excellent return so far. Not saying much since we're 0-4, but he actually has the physicality to go with the smarts now. He looks 10 pounds heavier, so i'm sure that's part of it.

Awwww is cway maffews wittle thumb hoyt?! What a pussy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom