• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 6 |OT| - Texas cursed by spirit of Favre, National Enquirer reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Ugh, how do you pass up an easy field goal in 3-0 game. Such a bitter loss. On to next week I guess.

Also got to give props to Brady for that win. Way to show the doubters there's life after menopause.
I am pretty sure you are wrong about that bro.

Also I wish I picked the Chargers in our pick em tonight. I am tied with two other people with two losses (fuck you Pats!!!!!!!) and we all picked Indy so it comes down to points (we have to pick the total score and whoever is closest wins). I always pick early in the week because I am busy and I always get fucked because someone picks a point higher than me so I am petty much fucked both ways. I think the score has to be between 53-55 points for me to win tonight. :(

There is no way Red Sox fans are worse than Philadelphia fans. They are definitely awful and my sister does have a pink hat :(

Have you been to Gillette? It really is a fucking nightmare.
Nope. Though I have dreamed of going to an AFC Championship there and getting arrested for creating a disturbance at the end of a Steelers blowout. I would have brought my friend who works at the ACLU and tested the boundaries of free speech!

Dragon

Banned
I think Ni no Kuni and SMT IV might have ruined Pokemon for me. The game just feels so easy, simple, derivative, and soulless. I've only played through the first gym though, so hopefully it picks up.

If I've only played the first pokemon and I picked up X/Y how much would have actually changed? My main problem with core Nintendo franchises really, although I've heard 3D World is supposed to be great.

I need to get SMT IV, but I have so many other games coming, along with my Vita TV (jnc)

KingGondo

Banned
I mentioned this yesterday, but Weeden is just going to be the guy who takes all the heat for every failing of Holmgren, Lerner and Shurmur. Fans have decided to blame him for every thing that goes wrong or still needs to be fixed, and the front office is happy to let that happen. Weeden isn't good, but like you said, that defense has taken a step back
This.

People are also glossing over the good things he did, such as... the entire first half. He made some really nice throws throughout the game, and if the "incomplete" pass to Little had been called correctly they might have driven down and scored.

It's really just a toxic relationship at this point. Browns fans hate him, and he probably hates them too. They just need to part ways after this season, or give the fans what they want and bench him in favor of the great Jason Campbell.

Yesterday's crowd at Arrowhead was pretty good. I'd say the "mystique," which has been gone for nearly a decade despite announcers what announcers may lead you to believe, is nearly back. Of the 30-40 Chiefs games I've been to, it wasn't near the loudest I've heard it get, but we really sustained the noise level for long stretches.

The defense is doing more than their share of keeping the crowd in the game while the offense is doing their best to suck the life out of the stadium.

The offensive line is doing Alex Smith no favors. I expected Fisher to struggle in his first year just because he's coming from a small school and switching sides. But he's a liability, and has stalled several drives with his play. Jeff Allen is also garbage, and Geoff Schwartz should be starting over him, especially considering Donald Stephenson is the swing tackle.

Andy Reid is doing Alex no favors. Rolling him out towards Fisher's side and into danger, calling for AJ Jenkins to catch a pass in what was a time the most important play of the game, allowing Dexter McCluster to maintain a roster spot, and then the general Reid-move-away-from-the-run-game that he's infamous for.

Alex Smith is doing himself no favors. The Raiders game is an aberration in terms of pressure, as Alex more often than not has more than enough time to get rid of the ball. I don't have Game Rewind, so I haven't seen the all-22 from the previous games, but yesterday correlated with what I expected: guys open in space while Alex holds the ball.

Defensively, this is how I've wanted the Chiefs to play for the past few years. Challenge every pass route and give the quarterback a ton of looks. I'd rather see my team get burnt for playing aggressively than see them picked apart by long drive after long drive. Obviously having Poe in the middle makes a lot possible, but I've been impressed with Sean Smith, and more importantly Marcus Cooper. Dunta Robinson seeing any playing time is a nightmare, so Cooper stepping in and taking over for Flowers is perfect. He's only really 3 games into his career, but he's been really impressive.

Last thing: the Raiders fans jerseys were horrifying. Why am I seeing multiple Rolando McClain and Jacoby Ford jerseys?

It's amazing how those two (Chiefs and 'Hawks) stadiums can get as loud as they do. I went to a game in the Georgia dome (against the Chiefs no less) and my ears were ringing for the whole next day.

If I've only played the first pokemon and I picked up X/Y how much would have actually changed? My main problem with core Nintendo franchises really, although I've heard 3D World is supposed to be great.

I need to get SMT IV, but I have so many other games coming, along with my Vita TV (jnc)
The only Pokemon I played much of was Blue and Y feels a lot more similar than I expected. I mean, I knew the formula would be very similar but I didn't think it would feel this familiar. It is JRPG light in every sense and I'm just not sure the "gotta catch 'em all" hook is enough for me. I love JRPG's but I feel like I've moved on from the simplicity of Pokemon. We'll see.

I can't recommend SMT IV enough, though. Really fantastic game.

squicken

It's amazing how those two (Chiefs and 'Hawks) stadiums can get as loud as they do. I went to a game in the Georgia dome (against the Chiefs no less) and my ears were ringing for the whole next day.

Raiders beat writer said the "record" occurred after a lot of the crowd was filing out. So they probably pipe in sound like Seattle does

How many of them were actually going to the game? I am skeptical of that excuse. And I would rather watch a Thursday Night game in London between the Jaguars and the Saints than the World Series. Baseball is a shit sport.

Baseball pretty boring most of the time but 2011 was fun for until the Cards ejected the Brewers from the playoffs. That series still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Brewers haven't been right since

eznark

Banned
Is there anything more overrated than the Vikings defense? Jesus Christ what a talentless bunch. And they just gave Robison a big extension? Ludicrous.

Why has Jared Allen not played at all this year? He and Suh must have caught the same bug or something.

bionic77

Is there anything more overrated than the Vikings defense? Jesus Christ what a talentless bunch. And they just gave Robison a big extension? Ludicrous.

Why has Jared Allen not played at all this year? He and Suh must have caught the same bug or something.
He played in London and had like 200 pressures on Ben.

squicken

HOT READS

It's increasingly looking like a matter of when, not if, coach Leslie Frazier will be fired by the Minnesota Vikings.

He has one year left on his contract and Sunday's 35-10 smackdown at the hands of the Carolina Panthers was the ugliest at the Metrodome since a 31-3 loss to Green Bay in 2010, a day before Brad Childress was canned.

Most troubling for a defensive-minded head coach such as Frazier is the disconnect between the way the Vikings practice and the coverage breakdowns that keep occurring on Sundays.

"When you lose, things change," Vikings defensive end Jared Allen said. "When you lose, heads roll. That's just the way it is. Players, coaches ... I don't know who's going to make it to the end of the season."

The impact of coaching on NFL success can't be overstated, and Frazier and his staff — whose Vikings teams have been outscored 108-27 in three games out of the bye since 2011 — aren't the only ones trying to figure out how to regain playoff form.

The Houston Texans' 38-13 home loss to the St. Louis Rams raised the volume on questions about coach Gary Kubiak, who's an offensive coach with a quarterback that seems to be going the wrong direction .

Like Kubiak, Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith hasn't translated regular-season success to the playoffs and has seen Super Bowl hopes sour quickly in 2013. And a fourth 2012 playoff team, coach Mike Shanahan's Washington Redskins, are 1-4 after losing to the Dallas Cowboys.

The common denominator with these coaches: contracts that are believed to expire after the 2014 season.

Firing a coach with a recent track record like Smith's seems unlikely. Even Kubiak and Shanahan don't appear to be in imminent danger. But eating one year of a deal is rarely cost-prohibitive. In a win-now business, few can feel safe.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-vikings-adrian-peterson-gary-kubiak/2977805/

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 21m
Buccaneers have spent big with top-of-market deals in last 2 years to acquire VJackson, Nicks, Goldson and Revis. Winless in Tampa.

:jnc Bucs

Also Rivera's got a new attitude

After another 1-3 start (which followed a pair of 2-8 starts), Panthers coach Ron Rivera made a decision.

If he’s going down, he’s going down swinging.

The Panthers got some much-needed momentum with a pair of early conversions on fourth downs, and the conservative Rivera said that’s how it’s going to be from now on.

“Well, it’s kind of what we’re going to do and we’re going to do the best we can to make things happen,” Rivera said of his new philosophy, via David Newton of ESPN.com. “These guys bought into it.”

Shula basically used Chud's playbook for the game. The Panthers have run 30% of their plays this season out of the shotgun, where they ran almost 60% of plays yesterday out of that formation. I'm pretty sure they ran more true read option plays yesterday than they had in the first four games of the season combined.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was having nightmares of the defense allowing 24 straight points.

Weeden played like ass in the second half, but you'd think he's the entire team with the way the Browns websites are talking.

Of course he's not but the fact was they were in the game still and he went and threw that ridiculous interception is why he's being focused on so hard.

6 yards of offense in the third isn't all on him but only one person is out there throwing the ball.

And unfortunately you don't have your tried and true excuse of the O-Line being absolutely terrible for him.

Briefly: The Detroit Lions didn't get to Weeden much, but when they did, he reacted poorly. Of the eight dropbacks he was under duress, he threw two interceptions -- one on an inexplicable underhand flip -- and completed only two for 14 yards. Four of his five interceptions this season have come when under duress. More than half of his yards (147) came in the fourth quarter.

Of course he's not but the fact was they were in the game still and he went and threw that ridiculous interception is why he's being focused on so hard.

6 yards of offense in the third isn't all on him but only one person is out there throwing the ball.

And unfortunately you don't have your tried and true excuse of the O-Line being absolutely terrible for him.

Yep, and I don't agree the D has lost a step either. You give your defense absolutely NO rest in the 2nd half and expect them to sack the QB every play.

KingGondo

Banned

He was a big reason they lost, I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm just extremely annoyed with Browns fan sites and local writers shitting on him when the entire team played terrible ball in the second half. It was a shitshow.

He obviously has some huge shortcomings as an NFL QB--especially throwing under duress and beating pressure with quick throws.

As I said, they just need to amicably part ways after the season. Browns can roll with Hoyer as the starter early next season while they work the new QB into form behind him.

This team is still a good draft away from being a true contender for a division title, with or without Weeden.

TheBatman said:
Yep, and I don't agree the D has lost a step either. You give your defense absolutely NO rest in the 2nd half and expect them to sack the QB every play.
Speaking of making excuses...

The Lions exposed the middle of the field and the over-aggressiveness of the pass rush, even when they were rested after halftime.

eznark

Banned
so nfl gaf, tell me some top head coaching candidates upcoming this year?

Someone smart will offer the Cincinnati coordinators a Ditka/Ryan relationship as essentially co-head coaches.

Houston has talent but they are aging on offense. They need to bring in an actual coach though, not some college goof ball.

This team is still a good draft away from being a true contender for a division title, with or without Weeden.

Speaking of making excuses...

The Lions exposed the middle of the field and the over-aggressiveness of the pass rush, even when they were rested after halftime.

Oh, nowhere did I say it was an excuse. It was one of many things that happened. The Lions actually made second half adjustments. Also, their running game was far superior as well as having a Franchise QB that's accurate helps quite a bit. That on top of the whole offense sucked thing. I can go on and on.

I definitely agree with the bolded there. Let's see if they win too many games again and miss the impact players.

Miguel

Someone smart will offer the Cincinnati coordinators a Ditka/Ryan relationship as essentially co-head coaches.

Houston has talent but they are aging on offense. They need to bring in an actual coach though, not some college goof ball.

I hear you guys have a great Defensive Coordinator.

eznark

Banned
I hear you guys have a great Defensive Coordinator.

Capers for Watt. Not like Watt is going to resign in Houston anyway after realizing what cunts the fans all are. May as well get something for him! Plus, you guys know each other and at least Capers will break the Texans cycle for sure...

because there will be no irrational preseason hope

Sanjuro

It's a nightmare. I really don't get it. They built out that entire tourist trap (well, fan trap I guess is the better word for it?) but no one can get to it. Although, maybe that's the genius. Do tons of people go over to Bass Pro after the game to just wait out traffic? When I went to a game out there none of the retail had been finished.

I normally stay until the end of any game, but I probably would have been bolting for the more important championship series.

I love Patriot Place. I'm there more frequently when there are no Patriot games being played. I'm still more familiar with Foxboro Stadium. So, when you say the new one is a clusterfuck you have no idea. I remember going to a Sunday night ball game and not being able to leave the lot until 3AM.

At Patriot Place, I've never had to wait that long. They altered the exits and traffic flow, so things seem to disperse much quicker. Theoretically, you can just walk over and get some beers, food after the game.

bionic77

Capers for Watt. Not like Watt is going to resign in Houston anyway after realizing what cunts the fans all are. May as well get something for him! Plus, you guys know each other and at least Capers will break the Texans cycle for sure...

because there will be no irrational preseason hope
:lol Watt for just a shitty homely washed up D-coordinator?

Fuck I can give the Texans a SB winning HEAD COACH who is in his prime and has movie star looks for Watt. Because I like you guys and I know you need a qb I will throw in Grabasski as well.

eznark

Banned
Tavon Austin had 4 snaps yesterday. Probably shouldn't trade up for 4 snaps a game players

Can you blame Fisher? He has a Wisconsin tight end to throw to. Why put Austin in the game?

It looks like the battle between Austin and Hopkins may be a "who sucks less but has one or two breakout games" as opposed to the fireworks I had hoped for.

I took a couple of panorama shots at Arrowhead yesterday. I posted one while the thread was moving at hyper speed yesterday, but here's the other one that I think looks better anyway:

null_zps74478b1c.jpg

What a game that was. My ears are still ringing a little bit.

KingGondo

Banned
Oh, nowhere did I say it was an excuse. It was one of many things that happened. The Lions actually made second half adjustments. Also, their running game was far superior as well as having a Franchise QB that's accurate helps quite a bit. That on top of the whole offense sucked thing. I can go on and on.

I definitely agree with the bolded there. Let's see if they win too many games again and miss the impact players.
They'll have a top 10 or 15 pick and a pick somewhere in the low-mid 20s, unless the Colts really catch on fire (not outside the realm of possibility).

Should be able to draft or trade up for the QB of the future, and then focus on the weaknesses: WR depth, starting RB, right side of the OL, and the secondary. Things look really bright, even after a discouraging loss like yesterday's.

This team is definitely improved and still might only win 5-6 games, which would actually be for the best in the long term. They should be in position to get Manziel, Hundley, Boyd, Murray, or someone of that caliber.

But needless to say, this draft is huge. If they hit it out of the park, this is a contending team for the foreseeable future. If they don't... they're still the Browns. :(

squicken

Can you blame Fisher? He has a Wisconsin tight end to throw to. Why put Austin in the game?

It looks like the battle between Austin and Hopkins may be a "who sucks less but has one or two breakout games" as opposed to the fireworks I had hoped for.

Austin is doing a lot of college stuff that hopefully he grows out of, but he may just be an over-drafted slot WR. Catches screens and dances too much instead of getting up-field. Lots of drops as well. I wonder about the WRs coach. They've had all sorts of trouble getting Quick integrated into the offense as well. It's his second year and he's already had 3 passes bounce off his back b/c he didn't adjust his route, or this week, he thought it was a running play

But I do like Kendricks. Though still willing to trade him for Randall Cobb, even with one Raven'd knee

Miguel

I wish Nuk had someone to throw him the ball. Still holding out for 10 games of Keenum to give us a taste of something new, and then cut Schoob and find a replacement

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They'll have a top 10 or 15 pick and a pick somewhere in the low-mid 20s, unless the Colts really catch on fire (not outside the realm of possibility).

Should be able to draft or trade up for the QB of the future, and then focus on the weaknesses: WR depth, starting RB, right side of the OL, and the secondary. Things look really bright, even after a discouraging loss like yesterday's.

This team is definitely improved and still might only win 5-6 games, which would actually be for the best in the long term. They should be in position to get Manziel, Hundley, Boyd, Murray, or someone of that caliber.

But needless to say, this draft is huge. If they hit it out of the park, this is a contending team for the foreseeable future. If they don't... they're still the Browns. :(

I think they're going to focus hard on the offense this draft after using the offseason to shore up the defense.

QB/WR/OL in that order, or if they can they may go FA to shore up the OL. Otherwise they just want to add to the depth for the defense.

eznark

Banned

You really think the Browns will need to trade up to take JW Walsh?

Tom Penny

It's pretty encouraging that the Pats defense has won basically every game for them this year. They are actually getting meaningful stops pretty often. Even against the Bengals the pathetic offense was only down 7 and that took all 4 downs for the Bengals to punch it in from the goal line. I look forward to the return of Gronk Rose and Collie for 2 weeks before he is concussed.

As far as Gillette goes. You're some type of rookie if you attempt to leave any games right after the game. Of course you are going to be stuck in traffic. It's idiotic. Spark the grill back up and have a few more beers then bounce. No problems.

KingGondo

Banned
I think they're going to focus hard on the offense this draft after using the offseason to shore up the defense.

QB/WR/OL in that order, or if they can they may go FA to shore up the OL. Otherwise they just want to add to the depth for the defense.
The good thing is that the Browns have some glaring strengths and some glaring weaknesses. It's easy to identify what they need, unlike a team like the Jags that needs everything.

In related news, I'm about *this* close to getting on the Manziel wagon. He seems like a massive tool of a person, but man he's a hell of a player. He could do some sick things under the tutelage of Chud.

eznark said:
You really think the Browns will need to trade up to take JW Walsh?
:jnc Fuck you.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with him for 2 more years. Not looking forward to his matchup with Famous Jameis in next year's opener.

bionic77

It's pretty encouraging that the Pats defense has won basically every game for them this year. They are actually getting meaningful stops pretty often. Even against the Bengals the pathetic offense was only down 7 and that took all 4 downs for the Bengals to punch it in from the goal line. I look forward to the return of Gronk Rose and Collie for 2 weeks before he is concussed.

As far as Gillette goes. You're some type of rookie if you attempt to leave any games right after the game. Of course you are going to be stuck in traffic. It's idiotic. Spark the grill back up and have a few more beers then bounce. No problems.
I think that describes most Pat fans...

I agree with this. A damn good RB can be had in the 3rd round or even way later. We'll see where the chips fall.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tavon Austin had 4 snaps yesterday. Probably shouldn't trade up for 4 snaps a game players

I'm probably better served to just put no one at WR. Roddy White, Austin, Hopkins from Houston, and Boldin from San Fran (who decided throwing the ball isn't worth it). Shockingly poor when Hakeem Nicks is my best WR option.

RBH

ponder-freeman-vikings-starter1.jpg

The Minnesota Vikings didn’t just sign Josh Freeman for fun, they plan to use him — likely even as a starter. Freeman, who signed with the Vikings last week after an ugly divorce from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is still in the process of learning the Vikings’ offensive system, but he will eventually start for them this season, FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer said during FOX NFL Sunday.

FAT BIKE!

FAT BIKE!

FAT BIKE!

bionic77

I agree with this. A damn good RB can be had in the 3rd round or even way later. We'll see where the chips fall.
You can get a pro-bowl player in almost any round if you are lucky and have the right coaches to coach that player up and put him in place to succeed.

James Harrison was not even drafted and I don't think Welker was either.

eznark

Banned
I wouldn't touch Manziel personally. Not because of off the field stuff but because of the way he plays. He doesn't read defenses. He reacts to them. He depends on his athleticism to buy him time to find an open guy. That's like, perfect for college football. He's a better athlete than most on the other side of the ball, has a solid arm and seems super accurate given the circumstances under which he throws.

However, I don't buy that it will translate. At least not into a "special" quarterback. He won't be a flat better athlete than everyone. He won't always be able to buy time. Red zone lobs falling backwards into triple coverage will not end well. He'll have to learn how to read a defense and I just don't think he has the mental capacity (discipline, attention span, dedication, etc.) to do it. That's obviously highly speculative and he is a really young kid still so I don't put a lot of stock into that part but it's still concerning. Not a lot of people taste fantastic success early in their lives and still recognize and improve upon their weaknesses.

If he had a special arm or special speed I'd probably be higher on him, but his only "special" skill really is his elusiveness and that just won't translate as effectively to the next level.

Cola, why am I wrong? (I know you love this kid).

I wouldn't touch Manziel personally. Not because of off the field stuff but because of the way he plays. He doesn't read defenses. He reacts to them. He depends on his athleticism to buy him time to find an open guy. That's like, perfect for college football. He's a better athlete than most on the other side of the ball, has a solid arm and seems super accurate given the circumstances under which he throws.

However, I don't buy that it will translate. At least not into a "special" quarterback. He won't be a flat better athlete than everyone. He won't always be able to buy time. Red zone lobs falling backwards into triple coverage will not end well. He'll have to learn how to read a defense and I just don't think he has the mental capacity (discipline, attention span, dedication, etc.) to do it. That's obviously highly speculative and he is a really young kid still so I don't put a lot of stock into that part but it's still concerning. Not a lot of people taste fantastic success early in their lives and still recognize and improve upon their weaknesses.

If he had a special arm or special speed I'd probably be higher on him, but his only "special" skill really is his elusiveness and that just won't translate as effectively to the next level.

Cola, why am I wrong? (I know you love this kid).
From what I have seen of him I agree 100% with everything you said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom