• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 6 |OT| - Texas cursed by spirit of Favre, National Enquirer reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Since no Giants fan probably feels like reliving last night's game, found this from PFF on Beason:

Solid Start from Beason

Midseason trades don’t often work out, but only a week after being acquired by the Giants, Jon Beason showed signs that he could make an immediate impact for Big Blue. This was a mixed showing for Beason but positives were there to be taken especially in run defense (+2.9). The downside was in pass coverage (-2.0), especially in the first half, allowing completions on all four targets for 33 yards and three first downs — the one that didn’t go for a first down he missed a tackle on. However, as the Bears looked to shorten the game with the run in the second half, Beason began to flourish, showing the athleticism and pursuit on his return to middle linebacker running down Matt Forte for a number of stops.

Beason, in fact, led the Giants with seven stops in his debut — his most in a single game since Week 7 of the 2009 season. If he can get back to the sort of pass coverage he showed in 2010 (his last full season with the Panthers), the Giants will have a rare, successful midseason acquisition on their hands. Scant consolation for their losing start, but a valuable piece moving forward, nevertheless.

Not surprised Beason didn't do well in coverage. He just doesn't have the speed/quickness to cover after that Achilles injury. I don't think he's ever going to be good at coverage again...hope is that with more reps he can get back to adequate.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
He wrote a column in the off-season about how all of Freeman's problems were a result of the people around him. He may have even recycled that "prop up" line from it for the Scam column.
It was the same thing everyone was saying about Vick as a Falcon. he had no receivers no OL etc. (Roddy played with him)

Miguel

Free Sage!

Rosencopter said:
Editor’s note: Quarterback Sage Rosenfels had an 11-year NFL career, mostly as a backup, including two years as a teammate of Matt Schaub’s in Houston.

By Sage Rosenfels

Recently, I’ve been asked by friends, current and former players, coaches, and even my son, “What’s wrong with Matt Schaub?” I struggle for an answer. I don’t think there is anything wrong with his mechanics. Watching from afar, it seems the offense Houston is running still uses the same battle-tested concepts I remember from my time with the team that head coach Gary Kubiak has used for years. The Texans still have a lot of talent on the team and have continued to run the ball well, throw for a lot of yards and play solid defense. So why the interceptions, and why the four straight games with a pick-6, the deadly interception run back for a touchdown?

I spent the past few days trying to figure out why, at what seems to be the most inopportune times, Schaub has thrown interceptions, causing a team with Super Bowl aspirations to be in soul-searching mode—and, according to Kubiak, maybe even quarterback-searching mode. The only thing I can do is relate this to a situation I went through as a player and how it affected me.

It was Week 5 of the 2008 NFL season and we, the Texans, were winless at 0-3 (we had an early bye week that year). The previous season I had played the best football of my career as a backup to Schaub. I ended the year with a 4-1 record as a starter. Matt kept his starting job, and I was again relegated to the backup role, a position I always accepted, but not as graciously this time because I had played so well the year before. As we entered the game against the Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts, I found out at the team breakfast that Schaub had come down with the flu in the middle of the night and there was a good chance I would be playing. I wasn’t officially told I would be the starter until about 90 minutes before kickoff. I was excited to get back out there and show I could turn our team’s fortunes around. I also knew there was a huge challenge in front of my team and me. But I hadn’t practiced with the first team since training camp. And so starting a game against a premier team with no practice reps is not an ideal situation.

For the first 56 minutes of the game, I played the best game of my life. High school, college, NFL. Hands down. We built a 27-10 lead early in the fourth quarter. Manning led a touchdown drive to score with 4:04 to go, and the Colts onside-kicked. But we recovered. We ran two running plays to run off some clock as the Colts burned their first two timeouts. On 3rd-and-8 at the Indianapolis 39, we decided to run a bootleg to the left. I got to the edge and saw nothing but green grass in front of me. Run it, I thought. A Colts cornerback left the tight end he was covering and came up to make the tackle. Rather than playing it conservative, I made the split-second decision to try and dive over the cornerback and hopefully land near a first down. This is what I had always done in the past, so my instinct told me to go for it rather than slide. When you are a backup quarterback fighting every year for a roster spot, earning respect and turning heads by pushing the envelope is one of the reasons I had made it in the league to that point.

What happened next changed everything.

As I leaped over the defender, Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis hit me while I was in midair and spun me around. I lost most of my senses and the ball before I hit the ground. Linebacker Gary Brackett returned the loose ball 68 yards for a touchdown. Now we led only 27-24. Shocked by what just happened, I got strip-sacked by Mathis on the next possession, and Manning took two plays to get the Colts in the end zone. Colts, 31-27. I got picked again on our last possession.

My crown jewel moment? No. In only a few minutes, it became my worst nightmare.

Mentally, getting beyond that game was nearly impossible. I was disappointed that I let my team down. I knew I missed a huge opportunity to possibly be the starter going forward. It was difficult to look my teammates, coaches and even support personnel in the eye. I knew how hard everyone worked to create a winning organization, and I carelessly threw it away. The moment and game burned deep into my conscience, and it was a challenge for me to focus about anything else. This game haunted me for months.

I ended up having four more starts for the Texans that year and went 2-2, but my confidence was still shaken, as I battled day to day to get over what happened months before. I was more game-manager than playmaker. My play was tentative. I didn’t want to screw up again. I played overly conservative, which led to worse results. I couldn’t wait for the offseason so I could get away from football and regain my confidence.

Fast forward to 2013. I am retired from playing, and I’m watching one of my old teams, the Houston Texans. They are playing a Super Bowl contender, Seattle, and have built a strong lead heading into the fourth quarter. With a few minutes left, Schaub gets called to run a bootleg on a key third down to possibly ice the game. He gets pressure, and instead of taking a sack or throwing it away he attempts to make a play and throws a lofted ball into traffic. It ends up going the other way for a touchdown. A week later he threw another pick-6 90 seconds into a huge game at San Francisco. Heartbreaking loss, again. On the news, fans were shown burning his jersey and booing him. There were calls for his benching despite having been the franchise quarterback for roughly six years and owning nearly every quarterback record in the team’s young history. Pro Bowls, passing records, playoff runs, and being a captain of the team are all disregarded by many fans because of some very untimely turnovers that might have cost the Texans some early-season wins.

Whether the fans are right in asking for Schaub’s benching or if he gives the Texans the best chance to win is not the reason I am writing this article. My point is to give you an inside look at what might be going through a player’s head after a handful of devastating mistakes. These can overwhelm a player and cause more bad things to happen. It is a huge challenge to get out of that mental rut, but it is possible. I’m not sure what’s going on in Schaub’s head as he battles through a difficult stretch in his career. What I do know is the experience I went through and the challenge and perseverance it took to overcome it.

Being that I played the best football of my NFL career in Houston under Gary Kubiak, I am rooting for the Texans to get back on track. Having played with Schaub for two years and knowing how mentally strong and dedicated he is to his team and his profession, I believe he will get his play turned around soon. But only one person, Matt himself, knows his confidence level after being mentally battered early this season. And the mental part of the game, the part no one sees, plays such a big part of success and failure in the NFL. I know. I’ve felt it.

Lunchbox

Banned
You're sounding like my dad. 'YOU SHOULD APPRECIATE BASEBALL MORE! IT'S THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD! I RAISED YOU RIGHT, NOT TO LOVE FOOTBALL THIS MUCH! DREW BLEDSOE IS THE ONE TRUE GOD! etc. etc. etc.'

no baseball sucks dick and people dont care most of the time

but when the sox are on the road to the world series its bigger than the pats/celtics/bruins combined.

Bowser

It was the same thing everyone was saying about Vick as a Falcon. he had no receivers no OL etc. (Roddy played with him)

Regarding Cam though, I think it's a legit reason:

For three years now, we've known the Panthers have needed to upgrade the receiving corps. Smith is tough as nails, but he's 34 and likely stretched as a starting wideout. He wasn't supposed to be the no. 1 guy by a significant margin at this point. The receivers around him have been players who didn't make it off special teams elsewhere in the league, guys like Legedu Naanee, Louis Murphy, and Ted Ginn. LaFell has settled in as the starter next to Ginn, but he's a raw player who has failed to exhibit many signs of refinement, even after starting 24 games as a pro. Tight end Greg Olsen is a competent starter, but everyone here is stretched into a role they're not good enough to handle. Smith would be a great second wideout, but he's a below-average top wideout. Olsen would be an excellent safety valve and occasional seam-splitter, but here he has to do his bad impression of Owen Daniels. LaFell would be a fifth wideout on some teams. Ginn wouldn't take offensive snaps for half the league. That's not the case in Charlotte.

I can't disagree with any of that.

Hell, even Smith would tell you himself he's not a #1 and needs a true threat across from him these days:

“I’m 30,” Smith said. “I’d love to have a player faster than me.”

Smith also likes the approach the Saints used in the Super Bowl. “They went out and tried to outscore [the Colts],” he said. “That created so much pressure.”

That was 3+ years ago, and the best WR we've added since then is probably Ted Ginn.

Striker

If any of Giants Age is still here...bench Eli?
I'd consider benching Randle, Myers, and few others, but the secondary options aren't much better. I did notice Myers wasn't getting a lot of snaps because they finally are having him stop blocking since it's so atrocious. Randle was still having issues with his route running, frustrating all around. A lot of players played poorly.

Alge Crumpler!

Miguel

Regarding Cam though, I think it's a legit reason:

I can't disagree with any of that.

Hell, even Smith would tell you himself he's not a #1 and needs a true threat across from him these days:

That was 3+ years ago, and the best WR we've added since then is probably Ted Ginn.
Schaub for Smith.

Bowser

Schaub for Smith.

Ginn and Derek Anderson for Schaub and Dre.

Derek takes this shit seriously.

DerekAnderson_0.jpg

Since no Giants fan probably feels like reliving last night's game, found this from PFF on Beason:

Not surprised Beason didn't do well in coverage. He just doesn't have the speed/quickness to cover after that Achilles injury. I don't think he's ever going to be good at coverage again...hope is that with more reps he can get back to adequate.
He was still the best linebacker on the field which should tell you exactly where one of the key failures is on how this team was built. For a 7th rounder? I can't complain. As long he stays healthy and keeps Herzlich on the bench, I'm happy.

The change over to John Connor is going to make an impact as well. Pascoe is a better in-line blocker at TE than at FB. It allows them to sit Myers ass down cause he's fucking awful blocking and that's being kind.

There are some positives to take away from the game yesterday at least as opposed to the last 5 weeks where there really wasn't much to feel good about.

He was still the best linebacker on the field which should tell you exactly where one of the key failures is on how this team was built. For a 7th rounder? I can't complain. As long he stays healthy and keeps Herzlich on the bench, I'm happy.

The change over to John Connor is going to make an impact as well. Pascoe is a better in-line blocker at TE than at FB. It allows them to sit Myers ass down cause he's fucking awful blocking and that's being kind.

Think Herzlich will turn it around?

Thik Herzlich will turn it around?
He won't be on the team next season to find out.

He's a guy you want to root for because of his history but he never recovered the speed that he had when he was healthy in college. So forget any type of sideline to sideline type of plays from him. That would be fine and Blackburn like if he had the mental side of the game down but even that's not there yet either. He's slow to react, easily bites on play fakes and is a complete liability in coverage. Maybe he comes on somewhere else but he's had every opportunity to seize the MLB job for a team that doesn't have one and has failed at every turn.

Infuriating and even heartbreaking to have to watch Eli Manning get up there and take the full brunt of the blame for this inept team and its coaches!

Randle very nearly did this offense in, but Myers was there with the dagger. The ball was six inches too high? Really, Eli? Really? How about a so called NFL TE make a damn catch! Myers even ran out of facing the press and left his QB to take the fall. Ship that loser back to the Raiders. Take Gilbride and Gilbride. Jr (yes, his son coaches these receivers!) with him.

I’ve seen Eli make that same exact seam pass since 2005. Shockey, Boss, Ballard, Bennett have all made the highlight reels off it. There is sideline footage of Coach Pope instructing Jake Ballard to go up high and grab the ball:”He (Eli) can stick that ball right up there.” Ballard went up, caught the ball, and killed the Patriots at home. Eli has to clear that middle defender. Absolutely beautiful throw and catch IF the tight end isn’t complete garbage.

But, sure, let’s blame Eli. No chance.

Eli has to clear that middle defender. Absolutely beautiful throw and catch IF the tight end isn’t complete garbage.
What middle defender? The one that Myers is nearly 10 yards behind before the ball is even released? Yes you don't throw the pass directly at his gut but that throw was fucking awful.

That interception is 100% on Eli. Stop making excuses for it. He isn't even making excuses for it and downright owned up to it being a high pass. 2 of the 3 picks last night were on him. Plain and simple.

h1nch

Thanks for ruining my month.

I hope the mom gets some jail time too and I hope the dude that did it dies in the worst way possible.

At the very least the mother should lose all custody rights forever.

If for no other reason than her inability to judge the quality of the men she dates and chooses to allow around her child...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Infuriating and even heartbreaking to have to watch Eli Manning get up there and take the full brunt of the blame for this inept team and its coaches!

Randle very nearly did this offense in, but Myers was there with the dagger. The ball was six inches too high? Really, Eli? Really? How about a so called NFL TE make a damn catch! Myers even ran out of facing the press and left his QB to take the fall. Ship that loser back to the Raiders. Take Gilbride and Gilbride. Jr (yes, his son coaches these receivers!) with him.

I’ve seen Eli make that same exact seam pass since 2005. Shockey, Boss, Ballard, Bennett have all made the highlight reels off it. There is sideline footage of Coach Pope instructing Jake Ballard to go up high and grab the ball:”He (Eli) can stick that ball right up there.” Ballard went up, caught the ball, and killed the Patriots at home. Eli has to clear that middle defender. Absolutely beautiful throw and catch IF the tight end isn’t complete garbage.

What middle defender? The one that Myers is nearly 10 yards behind before the ball is even released? Yes you don't throw the pass directly at his gut but that throw was fucking awful.

That interception is 100% on Eli. Stop making excuses for it. He isn't even making excuses for it and downright owned up to it being a high pass. 2 of the 3 picks last night were on him. Plain and simple.
There's an extensive thread on BBI regarding whether or not Myers flattened out his route and turned too early. Supposing he should have carried the route up the seam.

You make the call:

iwDAVpUfkpNh2.gif

Look at the Gif above. Middle Line Backer would of tipped that pass. Clearly Myers started turning around and stopped running his route.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What kind of fucked up individual do you have to be to beat up a 2 year old?

What in the hell is wrong with people. Holy shit.

Death is way too good a punishment for him.

eznark

Banned
There's an extensive thread on BBI regarding whether or not Myers flattened out his route and turned too early. Supposing he should have carried the route up the seam.

You make the call:

iwDAVpUfkpNh2.gif

Slightly, but it's a terrible throw regardless. I'd argue that shading inside was smart as he was splitting the safeties but it doesn't look like he did it intentionally to me. Either way he would have had to extend to make the catch eliminating any YAC. It's a dead simple throw and one he should have made.

I seriously do not understand peoples need to defend Eli Manning. It's baffling. Every other quarterback gets slaughtered on every interception whether or not it was tipped, batted or a route was run incorrectly yet Eli is fucking Teflon. It's insanity.

Look at the Gif above. Middle Line Backer would of tipped that pass. Clearly Myers started turning around and stopped running his route.
lol holy shit

no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom