• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I didn't mean matchups, I meant quality of play onfield.

That's what I was getting at with my last sentence, and even with my first response. My problem with this move is it puts players at an increase for injury (or exhausted production at the very least). This isn't the NBA where players can play back-to-back games -- not to take the effort of basketball players' lightly -- the NFL is much more physically demanding. Part of the reason why these Thursday night games are probably as crappy as they are is because of the lack of preparation and time to train. In an age where we have a league supposedly championing player safety I find this move to be hypocritical, and paints a concerning picture in light of other comments like cutting down on preseason games and expanding the playoffs. They all serve to benefit the NFL, not players.

Godslay

Banned
Thursdays sucks b/c of the short week. Add another bye week and only let teams play game with some minimum number of days off. It's not so much about safety as it is bad product. Doing two games increases the odds that one is worth watching, and lets them sell another instance of Red Zone as well

edit: TD rate goes down, INT rate goes up, QBR and completion percentage go down. Safety is what people pretend to care about. The actual reason no one likes it is b/c it is shitty to watch

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/92941/inside-slant-thursday-night-tackling?src=mobile

Where does it say the bolded? It says the other two QBR and Comp%, but the others are pretty much the same. This is from the article you linked to...

A review of season-long statistics via the ESPN Stats & Information database continues to turn up only two significant differences between Thursday games and those played on Sundays and Mondays: Lower completion percentage and lower Total QBR on Thursdays as compared to games on Sundays and Mondays. At least through five weeks, other objective tell-tale signs -- penalties, turnovers, third-down conversions, punt totals -- aren't appreciably different.

squicken

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmsports/cardinals-hc-bruce-arians-1

Arians talking about coaching Manning and Luck. At the very end he says Irsay is putting Luck in a bad spot with this ceremony stuff

Where does it say the bolded? It says the other two QBR and Comp%, but the others are pretty much the same. This is from the article you linked to...

I will look for that. I think it was Mike Clay at PFF but I am not sure. It was that TD:INT came close to 1:1 but I will look

e: here go

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/27/examining-thursday-night-football-statistics/

I still say they should go to a 18 week season. Every team gets 2 byes, one of which will be before their Thursday game. Start Thursday games later in the year, and if you want to 2 at a time then... live it up. Also, you get an extra week of Sunday + Sunday Night + Monday Night games on TV. Charge slightly more for TV deals!

The only drawback I can think of is that it steals a bargaining chip ("look! 2 bye weeks! aren't we generous!") from the owners when making a case for their precious 18-game season. Boo hoo.

Bonus bux for Goodell: play a Thursday game or 5 in London.

Arians talking about coaching Manning and Luck. At the very end he says Irsay is putting Luck in a bad spot with this ceremony stuff

I will look for that. I think it was Mike Clay at PFF but I am not sure. It was that TD:INT came close to 1:1 but I will look

this ceremony stuff is the stupidest shit ive ever heard of. honestly if joe montana had ever come to SF as a member of the chiefs i would wish nothing but the worst for him i dont give a fuck about what he did in the past. absolutely baffling that they would do this

Godslay

Banned

e: here go

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/27/examining-thursday-night-football-statistics/

That certainly paints a clearer picture. 42 TDs to 42 INTs, more sacks, more drops, less TDs 1.7 TD/INT ration down to 1.0 TD/INT. It is sloppy football.

Seems ESPN is behind the ball on this, or their 5 game sample size isn't representative.

nateeasy

Banned
ku-medium1.jpg

Young Rob Ryan looked a lot like Kenny Fucking Powers.

How is it the Denver Broncos defense is number one in the league for rushing, tied for fourth in interceptions, yet dead last in passing defense? Blows my mind.

I don't understand why they are calling it a "secret child." Has he done anything to actively hide the fact that she exists? What a bullshit story. Guy loses a kid and the media shits all over itself to pile dirt on him. Guy like Warren Sapp and Brian Urlacher refuse to pay child support for years and years and the media buries the story. Garbage.
I was going to make an Adrian Peterson has 12 kids joke awhile back but then I googled it because I like to fact check my jokes and was surprised to learn via the Goggle he didn't. I feel vindicated.

Also Tom Brady is a woman (Veritas, 371).

MechDX

How is it the Denver Broncos defense is number one in the league for rushing, tied for fourth in interceptions, yet dead last in passing defense? Blows my mind.

Opposition playing from behind a lot abandons the run. Throwing a lot of passes = greater potential for INT's.

Reason Texans are #1 ranked defense? Opponent offense doesn't play too much because Texans offense and special teams keep giving up TD's.

ShaneB

I like the idea of football on Thursday night just because it's fun to have football on to watch, but it just feels so odd. I like the feeling that Sunday is NFL football day, with MNF feeling like another highlighted game. the Thursday nighter just feels like this strange oddity that doesn't fit.

Godslay

Banned
Mech beat me, same idea.

If teams are behind, they have to abandon the run. The result is more passing yards, more interceptions, less rushing attempts and yards.

Opposition playing from behind a lot abandons the run. Throwing a lot of passes = greater potential for INT's.

Reason Texans are #1 ranked defense? Offense doesn't play too much because offense and special teams keep giving up TD's.

I was going to make a joke about Eli Manning padding the stats, but that works to. Honestly I think Miller is coming back right when we need him.

Talon

Team's can't run, get down early, throw for a bunch of garbage yards. Par for the course.

Please tell me "breaking the touch barrier" is code for fucking. I can't handle reading past the OP of that friendzone thread if it isn't. Guy is in college and intimidated by someone breaking the "touch barrier?" What kind of soft pussies are they growing over there in Euroland??
Based on this thread, Pats fans.

Syrinx

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings

Good news for Bucs fans. TB is one of the best 0-5 teams ever. Well it's not good news for this year, but teams like TB usualy have a strong follow up year. So if the Bucs don't all die from MRSA, and fire Schiano, 2014 could be a good year!

Nice to hear, but I'm tired of waiting. I was excited for this year, but Greg Schiano's astonishing shittiness put a damper on my hopes after a month.

Fire Schiano.

Godslay

Banned
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings

STL has the hardest remaining schedule, by quite a bit. SEA second easiest. KC is one of the worst 6-0 teams in their study

That 2009 Broncos squad was pure fool's gold. KC feels a little bit like them, in the way that everything fell their way in those first 6 games. Good turnover ratio, Doom with a ton of sacks and lights out defense, fluky plays like Stokley's miracle catch, etc. I think KC has the advantage of a better coach, and overall better players, but it will be interesting to see if they can sustain.

It's a law, but the government is shut down. Quick, run through the loophole like Dan Snyder!

Saturday football would be great, but they should just limit it to one or two games. My wife would kill me if Saturday and Sunday were football days.

squicken

e: Part of the NFL's anti-trust exemption requires that they play no games on Fridays and Saturdays.

That 2009 Broncos squad was pure fool's gold. KC feels a little bit like them, in the way that everything fell their way in those first 6 games. Good turnover ratio, Doom with a ton of sacks and lights out defense, fluky plays like Stokley's miracle catch, etc. I think KC has the advantage of a better coach, and overall better players, but it will be interesting to see if they can sustain.

Saturday football would be great, but they should just limit it to one or two games. My wife would kill me if Saturday and Sunday were football days.

KC has a deceptively easy remaining schedule. Football Outsiders has them as the 7th toughest, but that is b/c they have Denver twice and Indy. But beyond those three games, there could be no other team that finishes with a winning record. They could be just a mediocre team but coast to 12-4

This right here. I already get dirty looks watching football all day Sunday and I clean while I do it. I couldn't imagine the arguments if I annexed Saturday too.

MechDX

Jordan Godwin ‏@JordanGodwin 13h
Perspective: The Browns, Raiders, Cardinals, Jets and Titans all have more wins than the Texans over the last 10 regular season games.

Retweeted by John McClain

It was those fucking jackets! Burn in hell Barwin!

e: Part of the NFL's anti-trust exemption requires that they play no games on Fridays and Saturdays.

KC has a deceptively easy remaining schedule. Football Outsiders has them as the 7th toughest, but that is b/c they have Denver twice and Indy. But beyond those three games, there could be no other team that finishes with a winning record. They could be just a mediocre team but coast to 12-4

KC is that team that skirts through the regular season, then gets absolutely slaughtered their first PO game when they can't get the offense going. Kinda like the last time KC was in the playoffs.

It was those fucking jackets! Burn in hell Barwin!

Ever since that day the team has been a dog's breakfast.

edit: heh, and here's an article that makes that very argument!

Godslay

Banned

Their schedule is nearly identical to Denver's from here on out. Pats v. Den, Ten v. Den, Bills v. KC, Browns v. KC, are the only differences. Just from watching their games though, the margin of error is thin. That's why I feel that if the ball bounces the other way, those games outcome would be a lot different. Same could be said for a lot of games, but since they are so close it's especially true in the games KC has played. Could be my Denver bias, but I have watched all their games start to finish.

This right here. I already get dirty looks watching football all day Sunday and I clean while I do it. I couldn't imagine the arguments if I annexed Saturday too.

I usually wake up fairly early on Sunday and get my honey do list out of the way before noon.

KC has a great defense, good running game, and a QB that almost never turns the ball over. No one honestly believes they are a mediocre team.

Tabris

KC and DEN is going to be the true test for both teams.

I mean DEN has the Pats next and we'll see how good they are after getting Gronk back before that game, but if they are still struggling, then DEN's true test is for sure KC.

KC is that team that skirts through the regular season, then gets absolutely slaughtered their first PO game when they can't get the offense going. Kinda like the last time KC was in the playoffs.

I think Alex Smith is capable of pulling off the type of performance he had against New Orleans in the divisional game in 2011. They may get out of the first round, or even to the championship, but I ultimately don't see their offense closing the deal for a Super Bowl berth.

LJ11

I like the idea of Thursday night, liked it back when I was a kid and they had games on TNT, but it's harder to get fans to tune in midweek. They also put every team on, and fans disregard a lot of the matches, best game may have been the two worst* teams, quality of play has been poor.

I do want them to figure something out. Like having games on at different time slots, you're exposed to more teams/players. I want to see what other teams are doing/running, how the talent stacks up. Tired of watching the same dozen teams going at it in prime slots.

On the flip side, when you expose more fans to more teams, you really see the gap between some of these teams. Parity...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom