• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

On Wednesday, coach Leslie Frazier said he anticipates Josh Freeman will be under center Monday night when the Vikings face the Giants.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...tart-for-vikings-on-mnf-if-he-learns-playbook

HNHNzhL.png

I think Chud and Norv would want a guy with a bigger arm. A wildcard team could be Cincy. I say that only b/c John Gruden is all in on the running QB, read option spread system, and I wonder if his brother feels the same. Ultimately Mike Brown's decision so idk if that is a fit

Hoyer doesn't have a huge arm either, and Manziel doesn't have noodle arm. Chud likes his running Quarterbacks.

Of course, Teddy's going to be #1 atop the list, although I feel the Broiwns have no shot at him unless they offer both their #1's this year and their 1st next year >_>

It'll be interesting, but I still have this feeling about Johnny Touchdown Football.

iby3hQtNrUaPY6.gif

isgxPxBFAylfN.gif

This is the second play by Williams [#98] I was referring to earlier. Great read and attack taking down the screen in the backfield. This type of play was Foote's specialty, but he didn't have the size or speed to beat blockers to the ballcarrier anymore. Vince Williams does. He's starting to get it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think Chud and Norv would want a guy with a bigger arm. A wildcard team could be Cincy. I say that only b/c John Gruden is all in on the running QB, read option spread system, and I wonder if his brother feels the same. Ultimately Mike Brown's decision so idk if that is a fit

Hoyer doesn't have a huge arm either, and Manziel doesn't have noodle arm. Chud likes his running Quarterbacks.

Of course, Teddy's going to be #1 atop the list, although I feel the Broiwns have no shot at him unless they offer both their #1's this year and their 1st next year >_>

It'll be interesting, but I still have this feeling about Johnny Touchdown Football.

Yeah was going to say Hoyer doesn't have the biggest arm but he can get it down field when he needs to.

Fuck now I'm all giddy for the Browns Super Bowl at the draft.

squicken

Yeah was going to say Hoyer doesn't have the biggest arm but he can get it down field when he needs to.

Fuck now I'm all giddy for the Browns Super Bowl at the draft.

-I'd love to see Manziel in Cleveland with Chud

-I wouldn't put too much stock in Hoyer and what he did there. He was a waiver wire guy who they played b/c of an injury. That they adapted an offense to him doesn't mean that is their ideal system

Godslay

Banned
Yep, I think they go hunting together. Eznark's heroes!

I'd go hunting with those bastards.

ik7YY9UwRCJSq.jpg

They can come to NoDak, and we'll go pheasant hunting.

When are we doing a sports age meet up?

Another excuse to drink. For shame...

Jim Irsay has been killing it lately. I agree with everything he's been saying. This tweet was on the money.

FU9fuqU.png

Well a little booing for shitty defense isn't nearly as bad as exiting the game early and giving up on the team.

My Lunchbox tribute:
#ThoseInGlassHousesShouldntThrowStones

-I'd love to see Manziel in Cleveland with Chud

-I wouldn't put too much stock in Hoyer and what he did there. He was a waiver wire guy who they played b/c of an injury. That they adapted an offense to him doesn't mean that is their ideal system

Hoyer only played 2 full games before getting hurt. Teams never even had a chance to properly prepare for him yet.

If the Browns don't want to get crazy stupid trading everything for Ted, I can honestly see them going for Manziel with one of their 2 1st rounders.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Not really, it doesn't explain what it is about the guy. I haven't been able to watch him much given he was on the browns last year, and haven't got any colts games really this year. That being said what I have seen he looks indecisive and average. After all the hype I thought for sure he was going to break out this year, and chalked up his rookie woes to the knee scope and young age, but now it appears he'll never quite reach that hype.

Not really, it doesn't explain what it is about the guy. I haven't been able to watch him much given he was on the browns last year, and haven't got any colts games really this year. That being said what I have seen he looks indecisive and average. After all the hype I thought for sure he was going to break out this year, and chalked up his rookie woes to the knee scope and young age, but now it appears he'll never quite reach that hype.

Sorry, I just liked the headline of that article :)

He just doesn't have any burst. He's fantastic catching the ball out of the backfield and then bowling people over or making a couple miss, and I think that's where he'll have most of his success.

Hell, that 15 yard run he had that allowed him to get us 4 YPC monday had a hole the size of Indiana on the right side of the line to allow him to do that.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jim Irsay has been killing it lately. I agree with everything he's been saying. This tweet was on the money.

FU9fuqU.png

so you want your owner to act like irrational fans? I guess thats how you end up trading a 1st round pick for a average at best RB.

you also agree with his wishy washiness?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-should-have-put-a-better-team-around-peyton/

dude can't shut the fuck up.
Translating from Irsay tweet-speak into English, that basically means, “My comments meant if we gave Peyton better special teams and defense, we would have won more than one Super Bowl, instead of asking Peyton to do too much. It’s hard to see how any individual could understand my comments any other way, but controversy sells, so I understand the games: ‘Let’s get something started.’”

Whatever Irsay meant, his comments have been interpreted as taking a shot at Manning, just as Irsay was widely interpreted as taking shots at Manning in 2011, when Irsay referred to Manning as a “politician” after Manning discussed the Colts’ plans for a future without him. At that time, Irsay said Manning should “keep it in house” and not discuss their relationship publicly. Now Irsay is probably wishing he had taken his own advice.

TheFatOne

Man it really sucks that when the Pats finally put together a solid defense they have all these injuries. Well at least I get to see more of Collins I guess.

I just saw this on the Eagles message board and thought it was interesting:

Class of 2012 quaterbacks so far this season along with career totals:

Nick Foles: 127.9 QB rating, 67.2 comp%, 6td, 0 int, 1 rushing td (2-0)
Career: 88.2 QB rating, 62.0 comp %, 12td, 5int, 2 rushing td, 3 fumbles (3-5)

Russell Wilson: 92.6 QB rating, 61.4 comp%, 8td, 4 int, 1 fumble (5-1)
Career: 97.9 QB rating, 63.3 comp %, 34td, 14int, 4 rushing td, 6 fumbles (15-6, 1-1 in playoffs)

Andrew Luck: 89.6 QB rating, 61.2 comp%, 7td, 3int, 2 rushing td, 1 fumble (4-2)
Career: 79.5 QB rating, 55.8 comp %, 30td, 21int, 7 rushing td, 12 fumbles (15-7, 0-1 in playoffs)

Ryan Tannehill: 85.5 QB rating, 62.6 comp %, 6td, 5int, 3 fumbles (3-2)
Career: 78.6 QB rating, 59.5 comp %, 18td, 18int, 2 rushing td, 7 fumbles (10-11)

Robert Griffin III: 80.4 QB rating, 59.8 comp %, 6td, 5int, 2 fumbles (1-4)
Career: 94.7 QB rating, 63.6 comp %, 26td, 10int, 7 rushing td, 4 fumbles (10-10, 0-1 in playoffs)

Colasante

so you want your owner to act like irrational fans? I guess thats how you end up trading a 1st round pick for a average at best RB.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, I meant Irsay's comments about wanting to build a more balanced team around a cheaper QB, because he saw that QB-driven teams couldn't win Super Bowls. People saw it as a shot against Peyton, but I took it as a criticism of Bill Polian's poor drafting the couple seasons before he was fired and an acknowledgment of the way the NFL was trending after the new CBA reduced the costs of rookie contracts.

I also don't have a problem with the trade for Trent Richardson, at least philosophically. Grigson, Pagano, and Hamilton have a very clear vision for the type of offense they want to run, and they knew that they'd to bolster their RB corps in order to run their power running scheme. I don't think Richardson is a special talent and a 1st round pick for him is overpayment, but it was a high risk, high reward trade, and it still may pay dividends for them.

What's the combined record of Foles' opponents?

Has every QB that has played the Giants and Bucs had the same level of success? I dont post the stats because I think he is better then those guys, hell I would still take any of those guys over him, but it is interesting that in 1.5 games this year he has greatly improved his stats and they are now comparable to the other QBs in that draft.

captive

I'm not sure what you mean by that, I meant Irsay's comments about wanting to build a more balanced team around a cheaper QB, because he saw that QB-driven teams couldn't win Super Bowls. People saw it as a shot against Peyton, but I took it as a criticism of Bill Polian's poor drafting the couple seasons before he was fired and an acknowledgment of the way the NFL was trending after the new CBA reduced the costs of rookie contracts.
wut? those are the only teams that WIN superbowls.

Yes teams are going to have to adjust to the new salary cap, but lets not act like Irsay saw anything, he got so fucking lucky that they had the worst record and were even in a position to draft Luck. If Manning had played that year, he'd still be on the Colts.

Teams adjusting to the new salary cap just means that there is going to be less money for everyone else BUT the quarterback, unless you just drafted them, but if they are good you are going to eventually have to pay them. You aren't going to give up a top QB. Its made it easier to get rid of shitty QBs because of the new rookie salary cap.

captive

The Daily GAF crash, brought to you by whatever talking ad sponsor we "accidentally" let through today.

its like a anti-virus is scanning and crashing the server. My damn work mcafee scans every day right about the time the gaf servers flip out, makes my computer unusable.

NFL Network Top 10 Players You Love To Hate 2013.

10) Warren Sapp - The Mouth That Roared...
9) Tim Tebow - Victim Of His Own Hype
8) Ndamukong Suh - Trapped In The Wrong Era
7) Tony Romo - Welcome To The Blunderdome
6) Ray Lewis - The Masses Sour On Sugar Ray
5) Tom Brady - ... What's Not To Hate?
4) Hines Ward - Speaks Softly With A Villan's Smile

I wonder what the Top 3 is LOL

NFL Network Top 10 Players You Love To Hate

3)
The Oakland Raiders

... AHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHA how? They voting on past shit too?

Colasante

wut? those are the only teams that WIN superbowls.

Yes teams are going to have to adjust to the new salary cap, but lets not act like Irsay saw anything, he got so fucking lucky that they had the worst record and were even in a position to draft Luck. If Manning had played that year, he'd still be on the Colts.

Teams adjusting to the new salary cap just means that there is going to be less money for everyone else BUT the quarterback, unless you just drafted them, but if they are good you are going to eventually have to pay them. You aren't going to give up a top QB. Its made it easier to get rid of shitty QBs because of the new rookie salary cap.

I don't think that's accurate. The Ravens were a well-balanced team. Jacoby Jones was arguably the deserved MVP of the Super Bowl. The offensive line stepped up in a major way in the playoffs and helped Flacco have the time for his deep balls.

Likewise with the Giants, they were a balanced team in both 2007 and 2011. If the defensive line didn't wreck Brady all game, there's no way Eli's in a position to make those insane throws at the end. And I'd argue that Steve Weatherford was the most important player in that 2011 game.

Packers in 2010, Saints in 2009, Steelers in 2008- in none of those games did the QB singlehandedly win the game. Think back to James Harrison's pick six, Tracy Porter's pick six, the Saints' surprise onside kick, and the Steelers' frequent turnovers against the Packers. It's also the reason the Ravens were able to win the Super Bowl last year and don't have a chance this year now that Flacco's albatross of a contract made them cut so many key veterans.

NFL Network Top 10 Players You Love To Hate...

2) Terrell Owens

It's amazing just how many QBs he's alienated... Garcia, Romo, McNabb, I'm probably missing 1 more.

Striker

Has every QB that has played the Giants and Bucs had the same level of success? I dont post the stats because I think he is better then those guys, hell I would still take any of those guys over him, but it is interesting that in 1.5 games this year he has greatly improved his stats and they are now comparable to the other QBs in that draft.
Giants defense is trash. They started out okay, but lately it's just paltry. Hardly ever getting off the field on 3rd down, no pass rush, no forced turnovers, it's awful.

Giants signing Peyton Hillis... eh. Probably going to be a cut once Andre Brown or David Wilson returns. I am hopeful 7th round pick Michael Cox is given a chance. They're 0-6. Why the fuck not? And cut Painter why you're at it.

Godslay

Banned
I don't think that's accurate. The Ravens were a well-balanced team. Jacoby Jones was arguably the deserved MVP of the Super Bowl. The offensive line stepped up in a major way in the playoffs and helped Flacco have the time for his deep balls.

Likewise with the Giants, they were a balanced team in both 2007 and 2011. If the defensive line didn't wreck Brady all game, there's no way Eli's in a position to make those insane throws at the end. And I'd argue that Steve Weatherford was the most important player in that 2011 game.

Packers in 2010, Saints in 2009, Steelers in 2008- in none of those games did the QB singlehandedly win the game. Think back to James Harrison's pick six, Tracy Porter's pick six, the Saints' surprise onside kick, and the Steelers' frequent turnovers against the Packers. It's also the reason the Ravens were able to win the Super Bowl last year and don't have a chance this year now that Flacco's albatross of a contract made them cut so many key veterans.

Bottom line, all of those teams either have an elite QB or a QB that played elite. You aren't winning the Superbowl with a game manager. All of those teams listed had a QB that would put you in a grave if you let them. Flacco might not be elite all the time, but he put on a goddamn great performance last year in the playoffs.

captive

Well first, despite what NFLGAF tells you, the QB never wins the game by themselves. Even though Flacco is the exception there is no denying he typically steps his game up in the playoffs.

As for all the other things you mentioned you have EliteManning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger all playing at an elite level in the playoffs and superbowl to win. You have to go back to 05 to find a QB not playing at an elite level that won the superbowl. There's a reason why the Colts, Steelers and Patriots represented the AFC in the superbowl the majority of the time in the 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom